• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

BRING IT CD.

Rutgers travels to Seattle to face Washington on September 3, 2016 to begin the season. The Huskies travel to High Point Solutions Stadium on September 2 to open the 2017 season in Piscataway. The two schools have never met on the gridiron.

Rutgers has home and homes with Wazzu,Washington State and UCLA, I guess the BIG/PAC scheduling alignment is still kinda alive.

So, obviously D1-AA isn't too thrilled about D1-A having a playoff since that was originally their distinction. So, in order to get more exposure they have decided to let a couple teams start their season a week earlier than any D1-A school to get an exclusive day of college football that's nationally broadcasted.

SHSU v. EWU kicks off August 23, 2014 on ESPN

smart move?

Earliest start to CFB in over 10 years apparently

It will be the earliest opening to the college football season since 2003, when San Jose State beat Grambling and Kansas State beat Cal, both on Aug. 23 of that year.

andycapps

If alums and fans can't recognize an exciting football product when they see it, they can always watch Georgia Tech games instead.

Gotta watch what you say on gaming side, bro. They're very sensitive. They don't have the refined sense of humor that CFB GAF has.

Y0kdxfB.gif

AntoneM

So, obviously D1-AA isn't too thrilled about D1-A having a playoff since that was originally their distinction. So, in order to get more exposure they have decided to let a couple teams start their season a week earlier than any D1-A school to get an exclusive day of college football that's nationally broadcasted.

SHSU v. EWU kicks off August 23, 2014 on ESPN

smart move?

Earliest start to CFB in over 10 years apparently

Given that these are 2 of the top 10 FCS teams over the last 3-4 years, it's probably a good idea.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Since EDSBS/Spencer decided to wuss out and get responsibilities, he's no longer doing the Fulmer Cup.

He's passed it off to Reddit.

The Current Standings

Apparently, someone at William and Mary pulled a Jimmy Johns and got busted with damn near 20 felony charges.

Today is my birthday, CFB bros. It's funny, living in Oregon... today is a beautiful day, the first in a long time.

On birthdays in Los Angeles it was always seemingly rainy or crappy weather. Weird stuff.

Happy bday! Why are you living there?

Thanks!

The job contract I had in Los Angeles blew up, a week before Christmas. Rent in Santa Monica is expensive, and I had some work I could do up here, while living a lot cheaper. Also, my parents moved up here a few years ago so the support is good. I feel like I'm getting old and I'm not at all where I want to be, and it's mostly because I'm getting crushed by student loans. So I'm focusing on living smaller and paying them off, at least the private ones, so that I can move on with my life, and maybe get health insurance someday.

Long story short: SoCal is beautiful, but too damn expensive, and I was just treading water there.

AntoneM

Thanks!

The job contract I had in Los Angeles blew up, a week before Christmas. Rent in Santa Monica is expensive, and I had some work I could do up here, while living a lot cheaper. Also, my parents moved up here a few years ago so the support is good. I feel like I'm getting old and I'm not at all where I want to be, and it's mostly because I'm getting crushed by student loans. So I'm focusing on living smaller and paying them off, at least the private ones, so that I can move on with my life, and maybe get health insurance someday.

Long story short: SoCal is beautiful, but too damn expensive, and I was just treading water there.

Not sure if it's true anymore, but if you have at least one Direct Loan you can consolidate all your loans through Direct Loans. I was even able to consolidate private grad plus loans.

Good luck in you endeavors. I know I needed it.

Not sure if it's true anymore, but if you have at least one Direct Loan you can consolidate all your loans through Direct Loans. I was even able to consolidate private grad plus loans.

Hm, I've already consolidated some, but I should take another look at this one. Thanks for the tip.

Happy birthday!
Happy birthday, dude!

Thanks guys :) I have to admit, "30" is messing with my head.

andycapps

Late Happy Birthday, TTK!

Looks like Georgia Tech is losing their moral superiority, now they just need to get a real coach that high school players would want to play for.

In an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Johnson shared updates and insights about his team, which begins spring practice in advance of his seventh season on March 24. Among them: an admissions leeway he has been granted by school president G.P. “Bud” Peterson, changes in the coaching of the offensive line and possible scheme adjustments for the offense.

The incoming signing class was among Johnson’s largest and was significant in another way. With the academic success that the program has had since his arrival after the 2007 season, Johnson went to Peterson last year for help. He had ammunition. The Jackets were honored by the NCAA last June for having an NCAA-measured Academic Progress Rate in the top 10 percent of FBS.

Of the 15 players who were part of Johnson’s first signing class in 2008 and who stayed for four or more years, 14 earned degrees. Of the 16 players in the 21-player 2009 class who stayed four or more years, 15 earned degrees and the 16th is completing degree work.

Up until last year, Johnson said, he was permitted to have 20 percent of the signees fall below the school’s admissions standards so long as they met NCAA qualifying standards, signees termed by the program as exceptions.

“(Peterson) said, with the success we’ve had, he would give me more leeway if I thought guys could make it through,” Johnson said.

Johnson said that Peterson removed the 20 percent cap and gave him autonomy to offer scholarships to prospective players as long as they were NCAA qualifiers, which are a lower standard than Tech’s.

Lonestar

Here comes the other shoe

In the most direct challenge yet to the NCAA's longstanding economic model, high-profile sports labor attorney Jeffrey Kessler filed an antitrust claim Monday in a New Jersey federal court on behalf of a group of college basketball and football players, arguing the association has unlawfully capped player compensation at the value of an athletic scholarship.

The players listed as plaintiffs include Clemson defensive back Martin Jenkins, Rutgers basketball player J.J. Moore, UTEP tight end Kevin Perry and Cal tight end Bill Tyndall, though the claim is a class action and proposes to represent all scholarship players in FBS football and Division I basketball. Jenkins is a junior, while the other three are seniors who recently completed their NCAA eligibility.

Clemsoning the NCAA.

Apparently, this lawyer's a high profile lawyer, and this going in as an AntiTrust lawsuit is interesting.

Lonestar

It's a complex issue. If they start getting paid, is that taxed? Do schools continue to provide the benefits they currently give? I'm talking about free weights, food, tutoring, travel expenses. Do they get access to the various GA's and other "assistants" for free, or do they pay for them as well.

How much of this financial data (player and school) become public record?

andycapps

Happy week after Spring Break, y'all!

Some UGA players deposited their stipend checks via mobile apps and then cashed the physical copies as well. What a bunch of fucking idiots. One of the checks was for $71.50. Total amount of checks was $786.50. Not sure what they'll do to punish these guys, but if UGA didn't report this, it could be considered a compliance issue due to impermissible benefits.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The Cowboys just signed Brandon Weeden. Damnit Jerry Jones....Damnit Gondo

Heard on the radio that he only counts $75k against the cap. Not too bad of a pickup IMO, considering the majority of teams in the NFL are pretty much up a creek if their starter goes down anyway.

They also mentioned that Orton wants to retire but if he does he has to pay back something like $3 million of a $5 million signing bonus, so I would bet that Orton is probably the real backup next season anyway.

KingGondo

Banned
The Cowboys just signed Brandon Weeden. Damnit Jerry Jones....Damnit Gondo
He had his good moments in Cleveland in addition to his boneheaded ones.

Glad he's getting another chance.

Heard on the radio that he only counts $75k against the cap. Not too bad of a pickup IMO, considering the majority of teams in the NFL are pretty much up a creek if their starter goes down anyway.

They also mentioned that Orton wants to retire but if he does he has to pay back something like $3 million of a $5 million signing bonus, so I would bet that Orton is probably the real backup next season anyway.
True.

Although I have to admit that seeing Weeden hit Dez for a game-winning TD might make me squicken to the Cowboys. :D

He had his good moments in Cleveland in addition to his boneheaded ones.

Glad he's getting another chance.

True.

Although I have to admit that seeing Weeden hit Dez for a game-winning TD might make me squicken to the Cowboys. :D

Dont say this to browns fans. They hated Weeden, and thats saying somethings, because they dont even hate the browns.

Happy week after Spring Break, y'all!

Some UGA players deposited their stipend checks via mobile apps and then cashed the physical copies as well. What a bunch of fucking idiots. One of the checks was for $71.50. Total amount of checks was $786.50. Not sure what they'll do to punish these guys, but if UGA didn't report this, it could be considered a compliance issue due to impermissible benefits.

Wooo! And I was worried we'd be the only team with suspended players. Now we can play the first game of the season as if it were a pre-season game.

andycapps

Wooo! And I was worried we'd be the only team with suspended players. Now we can play the first game of the season as if it were a pre-season game.

I would expect suspensions for these players, but it's technically up to Coach Richt with these being misdemeanors. If he were the OBC, they'd probably get some extra laps at practice, but I'd expect more than that here. But, I'd be surprised if he announced that prior to the first game, because that's what he's been doing that the past few years.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It's a complex issue. If they start getting paid, is that taxed? Do schools continue to provide the benefits they currently give? I'm talking about free weights, food, tutoring, travel expenses. Do they get access to the various GA's and other "assistants" for free, or do they pay for them as well.

How much of this financial data (player and school) become public record?
Depends upon the university. If it's a public university, then their salary is available. Private, then not.

As for the rest, then their pay would definitely be taxed. I'm assuming all of the benefits would still be "free" to the "student" because it's in the school's interest to keep their "student" eligible to play.

andycapps

Roundball related, but Auburn just hired Bruce Pearl. He's still under an NCAA show cause, but I'm sure we're all surprised that Auburn would hire someone that has question marks on their character.

mre

Roundball related, but Auburn just hired Bruce Pearl. He's still under an NCAA show cause, but I'm sure we're all surprised that Auburn would hire someone that has question marks on their character.
The one positive is that this ensures that Grant will be gone after next year. I would be shocked if Mr. No Personality won any recruiting battles against Pearl.

Lonestar

Football, we'd have pulled the trigger in a heartbeat. We did in 2006.
Basketball, we watch the rival program do it, while doubling down on a failure.

Yeah you can consolidate the DL stuff, but not other stuff. Sadly the government now controls all loan consolidation for student loans so you're screwed in a lot of ways.

impirius

I would expect suspensions for these players, but it's technically up to Coach Richt with these being misdemeanors. If he were the OBC, they'd probably get some extra laps at practice, but I'd expect more than that here. But, I'd be surprised if he announced that prior to the first game, because that's what he's been doing that the past few years.

lol talk to the hand

mre

I was just waiting for you to fire him so we could grab him as an assistant again.
I'm sure he was a fantastic assistant. And he might be a great head coach if he would ever hire a complementary assistant to coach offense.

Late Happy Birthday, TTK!

Looks like Georgia Tech is losing their moral superiority, now they just need to get a real coach that high school players would want to play for.
Yeah, I can't wait to start recruiting guys who are dumb enough to cash their stipend checks multiple times and assume nobody will ever figure it out. Im sure they will do just fine in their calculus classes.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Baylor has added something called University of the Incarnate Word to their 2019 non-conference schedule.

Baylor's 2019 non-con schedule currently has Incarnate Word (only started playing football in 2009), UT-San Antonio (only started playing football in 2011), and Rice (is Rice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom