• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
I'm sure he was a fantastic assistant. And he might be a great head coach if he would ever hire a complementary assistant to coach offense.

Wouldn't really know in that regard. I look at Grant as a possible clone of Pelphrey. He had that stint at Arkansas and came running back to Donovan as an assistant. He's been a huge help this year.

KingGondo

Banned
RT @max_olson: Charlie Strong says Shawn Watson has final say on playcalling but that Watson and OC Joe Wickline will both make calls.
The new era of Texas football is off to a... strong start.

amirite?

I'll see myself out.

bachikarn

Good, we'll trade him to you straight up for Donovan.

I remember you being really happy with Grant. Think he'll turn it around a lot next year. You guys lost two of the best players on your team in the off season and literally had one of the hardest OOC schedules in the country. Not completely surprising you guys did so poorly.

David Ash is listed as a senior so he may not be getting that redshirt from last year. Jordan Hicks was listed as a Junior during spring 2013 in anticipation of his redshirt so I'm assuming the staff doesn't feel confident Ash will get one.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I remember you being really happy with Grant. Think he'll turn it around a lot next year. You guys lost two of the best players on your team in the off season and literally had one of the hardest OOC schedules in the country. Not completely surprising you guys did so poorly.
I can get the OOC losses. Just like with Gotfried, it's the SEC schedule that's so frustrating. Not a single SEC road win.

bachikarn

I can get the OOC losses. Just like with Gotfried, it's the SEC schedule that's so frustrating. Not a single SEC road win.

Before this season, Grant was third behind UF and KY in SEC wins since he has been at Bama iirc. This year was definitely a horrible season and I can't defend it, but I think he'll turn it around. Wouldn't have blamed anyone for firing him for Peal though.

Karakand

It's a complex issue. If they start getting paid, is that taxed? Do schools continue to provide the benefits they currently give? I'm talking about free weights, food, tutoring, travel expenses. Do they get access to the various GA's and other "assistants" for free, or do they pay for them as well.

If you're employed by a nonprofit entity your wages are taxable, that's pretty cut and dry.

The other benefits could possibly pass the excessive threshold and become taxable compensation too, idk I don't have a lot of experience with fields in which employees require a great deal of care to perform their duties.

andycapps

Yeah, I can't wait to start recruiting guys who are dumb enough to cash their stipend checks multiple times and assume nobody will ever figure it out. Im sure they will do just fine in their calculus classes.

You guys have already been recruiting them, there was a limit of 20%, now it's up to Paul Johnson how many he wants to recruit because ultimately he's got to meet his graduation numbers like everyone else. I know you want to get your digs in, but one thing isn't necessarily related to the other.

And yeah, these kids are idiots. I do wonder where they got this idea from, and how many times it's happened at other schools who have handled it internally (an NCAA violation).

You guys have already been recruiting them, there was a limit of 20%, now it's up to Paul Johnson how many he wants to recruit because ultimately he's got to meet his graduation numbers like everyone else. I know you want to get your digs in, but one thing isn't necessarily related to the other.

And yeah, these kids are idiots. I do wonder where they got this idea from, and how many times it's happened at other schools who have handled it internally (an NCAA violation).
We have been getting an average of 3 per year for a while. The 20% was more of a cap than anything. It wasn't always filled. The news that we have reduced the cap is certainly encouraging but I doubt it's going to change much. We aren't going to start recruiting the Isaiah Crowells or Caleb Kings of the world. Not only would it hurt us APR wise but any drop in the recent positive graduation results and our administration is going to clamp down again like they did after O'Leary left. Paul Johnson has more flexibility now but also has a fine line to walk.

andycapps

We have been getting an average of 3 per year for a while. The 20% was more of a cap than anything. It wasn't always filled. The news that we have reduced the cap is certainly encouraging but I doubt it's going to change much. We aren't going to start recruiting the Isaiah Crowells or Caleb Kings of the world. Not only would it hurt us APR wise but any drop in the recent positive graduation results and our administration is going to clamp down again like they did after O'Leary left. Paul Johnson has more flexibility now but also has a fine line to walk.

Doesn't really matter at this point. If he has another season like the last, he's gone.

FSU's Ira Denson got arrested for illegal use of a credit card and petty theft. Stole credit card from teammate and went out and bought some shoes and gas with it.

Doesn't really matter at this point. If he has another season like the last, he's gone.

FSU's Ira Denson got arrested for illegal use of a credit card and petty theft. Stole credit card from teammate and went out and bought some shoes and gas with it.
I'm not so sure about that. He has a large buyout and the support of some big money alumni and winning 7 games at a school that usually wins 7 games probably isn't going to ruffle feathers too much. A few fans will make noise but I can't see him being fired unless he wins 5 games or less. Especially with Notre Dame and FSU on the schedule in 2015.

andycapps

I'm not so sure about that. He has a large buyout and the support of some big money alumni and winning 7 games at a school that usually wins 7 games probably isn't going to ruffle feathers too much. A few fans will make noise but I can't see him being fired unless he wins 5 games or less. Especially with Notre Dame and FSU on the schedule in 2015.

You're right, I thought he was only under contract until through 2014 or 2015, didn't realize it was $7.5 million through 2016. Holy shit, what a horrible contract for the school.

The conference is pretty bad with the exception of FSU and Clemson, and Clemson will be in transition next year with losing so many key players. 7 wins is probably doable against this schedule. I'm not seeing FSU or ND on there. Anything less than 8 wins seems pretty disappointing to me on that schedule.

Dish Network is so pumped about offering LHN, they decided to sponsor Charlie Strong to go on tour live in concert. He's gonna sing and dance all across the state of Texas

Texas-Strong-Tour_dish-3.jpg

Promo Video

Tour Dates:
Fort Worth-April 21
Dallas- April 22
Houston-April 23
Tyler-April 24
San Antonio- April 28
Corpus Christi-April 29
Rio Grande Valley-April 30
El Paso-May 12
Midland/Odessa-May 13
Amarillo-May 14
Beaumont-May 19

Where's the SECSECSEC Network coach tour? yeah....Texas wins this round

andycapps

Dish Network is so pumped about offering LHN, they decided to sponsor Charlie Strong to go on tour live in concert. He's gonna sing and dance all across the state of Texas

Promo Video

Tour Dates:
Fort Worth-April 21
Dallas- April 22
Houston-April 23
Tyler-April 24
San Antonio- April 28
Corpus Christi-April 29
Rio Grande Valley-April 30
El Paso-May 12
Midland/Odessa-May 13
Amarillo-May 14
Beaumont-May 19

Where's the SECSECSEC Network coach tour? yeah....Texas wins this round
Wow a televised set of speeches to supporters. That'll make great tv.

You're right, I thought he was only under contract until through 2014 or 2015, didn't realize it was $7.5 million through 2016. Holy shit, what a horrible contract for the school.

The conference is pretty bad with the exception of FSU and Clemson, and Clemson will be in transition next year with losing so many key players. 7 wins is probably doable against this schedule. I'm not seeing FSU or ND on there. Anything less than 8 wins seems pretty disappointing to me on that schedule.
FSU and ND are on the schedule in 2015. I was saying that the 2015 schedule might be a consideration for whether CPJ gets fired or not after 2014. If he is fired after 2014 then we will be bringing in a new coach who will have to completely rebuild the team with players who don't fit traditional schemes against one of the hardest and most exciting schedules we have had in years. We might not win 4 games.

andycapps

FSU and ND are on the schedule in 2015. I was saying that the 2015 schedule might be a consideration for whether CPJ gets fired or not after 2014. If he is fired after 2014 then we will be bringing in a new coach who will have to completely rebuild the team with players who don't fit traditional schemes against one of the hardest and most exciting schedules we have had in years. We might not win 4 games.

Gotcha.

Looks like a

dispute between two Florida State teammates that allegedly led to a December shooting and an attempted murder charge for a third-party man has now also reportedly resulted in the arrest of one of the Seminoles involved.

Article on the arrest is here:

An argument between two Florida State players allegedly helped lead to a December shooting that left a man in the hospital and has resulted in an arrest on an attempted murder charge.

The Tallahassee Democrat reported Friday that Tarron Addison, 20, is in Leon County Jail after his arrest in connection with the alleged shooting. According to witness statements in court documents reviewed by the Democrat, on December 22 of last year Addison fired several shots in the direction of Tim Pruitt, the half-brother of Seminole running back Mario Pender, in the parking lot of a Tallahassee apartment complex. One bullet struck Pruitt in the head, sending him to the hospital. Addison is charged with attempted murder.

According to Tallahassee police and the Democrat report, the incident was the result of an argument between Pender and Florida State offensive lineman Ira Denson. Pender accused Denson of using a debit card stolen from him, and took a pair of shoes from Denson's apartment as "collateral" after failing to meet him there. Per court documents, Denson and Pender agreed to meet December 22 to exchange money and the shoes, with Addison joining Denson, and Pruitt attempting to make the exchange in the parking lot on behalf of Pender.

Pender told police that he heard an argument ensue during the exchange, went onto the balcony, and saw the man Denson identified as Addison fire multiple shots from the driver's side window of a white PT Cruiser as he and Denson pulled away.

A high-ranking recruit in the class of 2012, Pender redshirted that fall, missed the 2013 season with academic issues, and enters 2014 as a redshirt sophomore.

Another blue-chip recruit, Denson redshirted in 2013. Though supportive of Pender when asked this week, Jimbo Fisher was noncommital on Denson's future with the team and tweets from Denson's account highlighted by Tomahawk Nation suggest he could be considering a transfer.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
This is all Mark Richt's fault.

If he had never left FSU, then he would have been there to mentor those young men, thus preventing this from ever happening.

Edit: also Georgia would have hired Nick Saban from MSU, rather than LSU, and he would have stayed in Athens rather than testing the NFL waters. Georgia would have 8 more national championships now if it weren't for Mark Richt.

andycapps

This is all Mark Richt's fault.

If he had never left FSU, then he would have been there to mentor those young men, thus preventing this from ever happening.

Edit: also Georgia would have hired Nick Saban from MSU, rather than LSU, and he would have stayed in Athens rather than testing the NFL waters. Georgia would have 8 more national championships now if it weren't for Mark Richt.

Basically.

I never understood the cold turkey approach to leaving a message board. If you feel like you're wasting too much time on a message board, just set a daily time limit to your browsing and be strict with those limitations. Thats just me though.

Beeeeerrrrt noooooooooo :(

Only topics i participate in is this and CBB. I have better CFB discussions and fun then any other message board.

So what im trying to say CFB brothers is, thanks for being awesome!

andycapps

Tha fuck?

I know. Seems extreme but hopefully when CFB starts he'll be back.

Beeeeerrrrt noooooooooo :(

Only topics i participate in is this and CBB. I have better CFB discussions and fun then any other message board.

So what im trying to say CFB brothers is, thanks for being awesome!

I participate in this one regularly and check out random OT things and some on gaming side. Gaming side is dangerous so it have to watch my sarcasm there.

jjasper

Why not do what every other person does and leave everything except the interest threads?

Normal trajectory for posting here: Start everywhere---> then move to just the OT------> then to just the sport/movie/politics/etc.

Also sounds like SECSEC is moving to 9 games with a 6-2-1 set up which is nice. Hopefully that plus the playoffs weight OOC games means this 1-AA bullshite has died.

andycapps

Why not do what every other person does and leave everything except the interest threads?

Normal trajectory for posting here: Start everywhere---> then move to just the OT------> then to just the sport/movie/politics/etc.

Also sounds like SECSEC is moving to 9 games with a 6-2-1 set up which is nice. Hopefully that plus the playoffs weight OOC games means this 1-AA bullshite has died.

Is that actually happening? Link?

Looks like Alvin Kamara may end up at UGA next year. Honestly, not sure I want him with what was rumored during his time at Bama. We don't need any guys with toxic attitudes. He'd have a decent shot at playing since Gurley will likely be gone after this year, but he'd have to beat out AJ Turman, Nick Chubb, and Sony Michel as well as Brendon Douglas (aka white Adrian Peterson aka holy shit a white RB).

jjasper

Is that actually happening? Link?

Not officially but UT's AD
"A nine game schedule is coming and coming in the very near future for our league. There are certain folks in this league that have been against it, but those issues should be resolved. As you all know I've been a very vocal proponent of a nine-game league schedule over the years. It should be finalized in the coming months. We're still ironing a few things out.

There's been talk about competitive imbalance in regards to permanent opponents, but there's a group of us in this league that have been very firm in our belief that they are here to stay. That's not something we're flexible on in any way, whether we had stayed with eight games or not, that wasn't something that was going to change. We had made that very clear, that wasn't going to be something we were open to. It's too important for our university, our players and our fans. As someone who's been both places, the Alabama game is a game that's a special deal to both sides and it's one of the games that sets the SEC apart from other leagues. Auburn and Georgia are with us on that deal too. We have a majority of the league, so it's really not an issue that should be talked about moving forward. We're going to play them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

We had made that very clear, that wasn't going to be something we were open to. It's too important for our university, our players and our fans. As someone who's been both places, the Alabama game is a game that's a special deal to both sides and it's one of the games that sets the SEC apart from other leagues. Auburn and Georgia are with us on that deal too. We have a majority of the league, so it's really not an issue that should be talked about moving forward. We're going to play them

aUXjt1p.jpg

andycapps

I'm skeptical that the UGA, UF, and USCe's AD's will be as on board as he is. We all have an additional BCS game in our ACC annual opponents that Tennessee does not have. While I support a 9 game SEC schedule, those AD's are going to fight it tooth and nail. What it will come down to is money. Are they going to be able to get more money out of ESPN by doing this? We'll see. I don't expect this to take effect until 2016, at the earliest.

jjasper

That is three out of 14 schools it really doesn't matter what they think they don't have enough schools on their side. And yeah they will be able to change their TV contracts with the extra game. (The dropping the shitty OOC games was purely speculative because of the SOS component of the playoffs). Also UGA is most likely stuck having to choose between playing 8 games without Auburn or 9 with Auburn.

andycapps

That is three out of 14 schools it really doesn't matter what they think they don't have enough schools on their side. And yeah they will be able to change their TV contracts with the extra game. (The dropping the shitty OOC games was purely speculative because of the SOS component of the playoffs). Also UGA is most likely stuck having to choose between playing 8 games without Auburn or 9 with Auburn.

8 without Auburn will not happen. I'd rather drop our games vs Tennessee or Kentucky or South Carolina before that. All of those are young rivalries and nothing in comparison to a rivalry that extends over 100 years. 9 with Auburn will happen, eventually, I just don't see it happening in the next couple years.

jagowar

8 without Auburn will not happen. I'd rather drop our games vs Tennessee or Kentucky or South Carolina before that. All of those are young rivalries and nothing in comparison to a rivalry that extends over 100 years. 9 with Auburn will happen, eventually, I just don't see it happening in the next couple years.

It's going to happen if for nothing else than the extra content for the sec network. I also like the idea of a 9 game setup because it would mean we would play the opposite division more often. Right now we could go up to 4+ years w/o playing certain teams in the other division.

Because we are new to the SEC there is actually that desire to want to go visit some of those places (unlike the big12) and sec fans in general travel to more away games. Been wanting to go see a game at Tennessee or Georgia but neither one is even on the schedule at all yet.

Wow! I'm pleasantly surprised. I had assumed they'd fight to keep an easier schedule, but I stand corrected.

Well done, SEC.

Nick Saban will block the initiative.

Bama will play 1 "good" OOC team at a neutral site and 3 cupcakes at home per year and you're going to deal with it!

Okay but for real, if they move to a 3 game OOC schedule, are SEC teams more likely to cut out a cupcake or the token 1 "good" OOC opponent from their future schedules? That's my question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom