• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Emmert saying they don't let the players make money because they want to PROTECT them from being exploited is fucking hilariouuuuuusssssssss

Yeah I read some of the transcripts and they were hilarious. Trying to defend things that don't make any sense leads to some incredible lines of questioning.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Tim Brando, continues to be ass.

Joins SEC Network
His top 10 prediction for the year:
10. LSU
9. Wisconsin
8. Oregon
7. Alabama
6. Baylor
5. South Carolina
4. Michigan St.
3. Oklahoma
2. FSU
1. UCLA

ending with:
UCLA-MichSt & FSU-OU. MSU to upset Oregon, & no SEC teams make it.

I'm ok with no SEC teams making it, if Alabama doesn't make it. But UCLA?

ag-my001

Last year he had Louisville at #1, on the supposition that they would be the only undefeated team. That's how he does his preseason, which isn't a horrible way to do it.

preseason polls should still be banned

cdyhybrid

Tim Brando, continues to be ass.

Joins SEC Network
His top 10 prediction for the year:
10. LSU
9. Wisconsin
8. Oregon
7. Alabama
6. Baylor
5. South Carolina
4. Michigan St.
3. Oklahoma
2. FSU
1. UCLA

ending with:
UCLA-MichSt & FSU-OU. MSU to upset Oregon, & no SEC teams make it.

I'm ok with no SEC teams making it, if Alabama doesn't make it. But UCLA?

Well, a lot of pundits are picking UCLA to win the P12 South and they have a likely top-5-pick at QB. I guess it's not the biggest stretch ever.

cdyhybrid

Also, it appears Stringfellow, the WR that left the team after a post-Super Bowl incident, has apparently gone to Ole Miss.

Good get for them if he gets his act together.

Lonestar

Nevermind the lunacy of believing in UCLA, Jim Delaney is testifying!

Right off the bat, wants to revert back to the time where Freshmen were ineligible to play. Will wait to see if he wants Segregation back too.

Draxal

I thought [Strong] needed to bring in guys that can stand toe-to-toe against A&M, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma and all the other top teams that recruit in Texas,” the coach said. “He needed guys that had deep ties with the high school coaches in Texas. Instead, he got a lot of coaches that can win recruiting battles against Cincinnati, UCF and teams like that. This is the Big 12, not the AAC.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncf...id/55978/texas-has-a-texas-recruiting-problem

I had an inkling this would happen, Strong's bread and butter was Florida and not Tejas.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
[quote[I thought [Strong] needed to bring in guys that can stand toe-to-toe against A&M, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma and all the other top teams that recruit in Texas,” the coach said. “He needed guys that had deep ties with the high school coaches in Texas. Instead, he got a lot of coaches that can win recruiting battles against Cincinnati, UCF and teams like that. This is the Big 12, not the AAC.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncf...id/55978/texas-has-a-texas-recruiting-problem

I had an inkling this would happen, Strong's bread and butter was Florida and not Tejas.[/QUOTE]
To the Shaggybevomobile!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I thought [Strong] needed to bring in guys that can stand toe-to-toe against A&M, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma and all the other top teams that recruit in Texas,” the coach said. “He needed guys that had deep ties with the high school coaches in Texas. Instead, he got a lot of coaches that can win recruiting battles against Cincinnati, UCF and teams like that. This is the Big 12, not the AAC.”

I had an inkling this would happen, Strong's bread and butter was Florida and not Tejas.

I don't think it will ever not be weird to see interviews with recruits where they talk about concrete plans to visit Baylor and Texas Tech but that they "might" visit Texas, which I've been seeing on multiple occasions over the last few months.

Draxal

I don't think it will ever not be weird to see interviews with recruits where they talk about concrete plans to visit Baylor and Texas Tech but that they "might" visit Texas, which I've been seeing on multiple occasions over the last few months.

Yeah, I know someone was getting on my case on that (believe it was Stooge), for believing this might happen. But with Briles/Sumlin/and GQ Kingsbury, they all have the ties and history (even if only short term) to exploit it, as there's no more parochial recruiting state than Texas. Although, oddly enough Rutgers has started to recruit there (we pulled a te/tackle hybrid from Katy last year).

I mean Texas is still Texas, and with a strong year they could flip a lot of guys though.

Winning those recruiting battles against UCF got UL nothing more than a second place ribbon.

Don't get the obsession with stars and recruiting battles. Winning on the field is all that matters.

Like Emmert, he said college sports would be irreparably damaged in many ways if a century-old tradition is breached by payments.

To me, the "but its tradition!" angle seems like the weakest argument possible. How many issues in America's dark past would still be prevalent if the "but its tradition" argument held up in court? If that's the best way the NCAA thinks it can combat paying players in court, they're going to be on the losing end imo

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Last year he had Louisville at #1, on the supposition that they would be the only undefeated team. That's how he does his preseason, which isn't a horrible way to do it.

preseason polls should still be banned

How else we're gonna be ranked 17 by USA Today?

I hope that pick doesn't look really dumb at the end of the season.

Was up real late last night, and found some quality programming airing on the B1G network.

14295950010_fd702a0937_c.jpg

andycapps

Looks like A&M is trying to take the title of Xerox U away from Texas Tech.

UGA has been using the "We Run This State" slogan since 2009 when UGA had yet another disappointing season, yet still was able to assert dominance over Georgia Tech. Now, A&M has been using that as well.

You'll notice the original signage, the official stuff, and a picture of Ben Jones eating Georgia Tech's grass just because.

fEmKL4p.jpg

UiBlCFN.jpg

jjkDpeZ.jpg

Lonestar

looks like ya'll should Annex part of South Carolina, that way you can have a dog with 2 eyes instead of 1.

Lonestar

Interesting to see that Yesterday's Soccer game just barely beat (in TV ratings) last years Alabama/A&M game and the Rose Bowl.

Looks like A&M is trying to take the title of Xerox U away from Texas Tech.

UGA has been using the "We Run This State" slogan since 2009 when UGA had yet another disappointing season, yet still was able to assert dominance over Georgia Tech.

Yeah they started going all out with that slogan as of late, I believe aggy outfitters even sells a #WRTS shirt, which makes it an official tradition. But I'm trying to figure out in what context aggy thinks they run this state?
I don't know how aggy fares over other Texas schools, but against UT all time they are

37-76-5 in football
123-242-5 in baseball
and 85-137 in basketball

So WRTS doesn't seem to work from an aggy athletics standpoint. Maybe they feel being in the SECSECSEC adds 150 wins to their totals? Or maybe in all those losses they just ran out of time, so they don't count.

Yeah they started going all out with that slogan as of late, I believe aggy outfitters even sells a #WRTS shirt, which makes it an official tradition. But I'm trying to figure out in what context aggy thinks they run this state?
I don't know how aggy fares over other Texas schools, but against UT all time they are

37-76-5 in football
123-242-5 in baseball
and 85-137 in basketball

So WRTS doesn't seem to work from an aggy athletics standpoint. Maybe they feel being in the SECSECSEC adds 150 wins to their totals? Or maybe in all those losses they just ran out of time, so they don't count.

Pretty much. Heck, from an outsider's perspective, I'm not sure they're wrong. Playing football in the SEC seems like it would have some allure, where over the course of a few football generations, A&M would start to be the preferred destination among recruits.

But again, I'm on the outside, and maybe kids in west Texas would still just rather play Oklahoma than be on CBS and ESPN every week playing Alabama, Florida, Georgia, etc.

Pretty much. Heck, from an outsider's perspective, I'm not sure they're wrong. Playing football in the SEC seems like it would have some allure, where over the course of a few football generations, A&M would start to be the preferred destination among recruits.

But again, I'm on the outside, and maybe kids in west Texas would still just rather play Oklahoma than be on CBS and ESPN every week playing Alabama, Florida, Georgia, etc.

that "etc" is pretty important because it also includes teams like Vandy, Kentucky, Miss St, Arky, and 10RC. Not to mention 4 OOC games, one of which is usually FCS, 2 low ranked mid majors, and 1 semi high to high profile team. Aggy's schedule this year looks similar to that minus a high profile BCS team. To be fair, they don't play 10RC or Kentucky so maybe they rationalized that as being reason to not playing anyone worth a damn OOC

andycapps

looks like ya'll should Annex part of South Carolina, that way you can have a dog with 2 eyes instead of 1.

Yeah but now we have a pirate bulldog.

37-76-5 in football
123-242-5 in baseball
and 85-137 in basketball

I think the #WRTS tag is being using in the context of recruiting.

perfectchaos007 said:
that "etc" is pretty important because it also includes teams like Vandy, Kentucky, Miss St, Arky, and 10RC. Not to mention 4 OOC games, one of which is usually FCS, 2 low ranked mid majors, and 1 semi high to high profile team. Aggy's schedule this year looks similar to that minus a high profile BCS team. To be fair, they don't play 10RC or Kentucky so maybe they rationalized that as being reason to not playing anyone worth a damn OOC

Even with Vandy, Kentucky and the rest, the schools at the top are still more of a challenge as a whole than Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. I mean, they upgraded their conference slate by moving to the SEC.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
All three NFL games are good (at least theoretically) this year -

Bears-Lions
Eagles-Cowboys
Seahawks-49ers

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
He probably failed a drug test.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Particularly interesting because he got off when he was arrested because the school was apparently able to show a long history of negative drug tests.

They also lost a 2015 commit today, John Humphrey. Listed on Rivals as a WR, the menial bit of checking around on the message boards I did makes it sound like he would have been a CB for Baylor though.

Lonestar

The more i see the stadium updates the sadder I get.

Bq-wZKLCIAE0RWV.jpg

ahh yeah, the joys of watching a stadium that isn't designed to be filled in, be filled in.

I'm no engineer/architect, but shouldn't they make the endzone section "thinner" and have the corners be on a radius rather than a 90 degree angle?

Cause the edges are facing the seats, not the field.

Theres a few stupid things in Ohio Stadium, it has really great sightlines from almost every seats, except for the 4 below highlighted. If you sit right there, you can maaaaaaaaaybe see 20 yards of the field, basically redzone on.

X2AQOKr.jpg

Lonestar

yeah, those aren't great.

Alabama stadium might have a couple of those type spots around the box seats, but it doesn't seem as absurdly bad as those.

Fig1CommunityAlabama.jpg

Press Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom