• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

The answers to this questions made me sad:

Who is your favorite college football player of all-time?
FIVE-WAY TIE: Johnny Manziel, DeAnthony Thomas, Herschel Walker, Teddy Bridgewater and Marcus Mariota

At least they got one of those players right.

woof woof.

That's actually an interesting question for our all knowing CFB-GAF group here.. If you could pick the top 5 players of all time, who would they be? I have to think about my list for a little bit.

andycapps

I'm trying to get some defensive players in here.. I might change this list later, I'm trying to figure out if Barry Sanders belongs on the list because he really only started one year, but what a ridiculous year that was. I'm going to leave him off for now just because it was only one year.

Debating OJ on this list over Bo, but not sure yet.

Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Peyton Manning
Charles Woodson
Dick Butkus

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'll start:

Derrick Thomas
Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Barry Sanders
John Hannah

Really hard on the 5th choice, so I went with a slight homer pick (though Hannah is still on the list of all time greatest Offensive Linemen ever).

Quarterback is so hard to list, because so many of them have over-inflated stats, because of the systems they ran. Is Tebow and Manziel better than Peyton Manning or Fran Tarkenton? Is Case Keenum better than Joe Montana?

andycapps

I'll start:

Derrick Thomas
Herschel Walker
Bo Jackson
Barry Sanders
John Hannah

Really hard on the 5th choice, so I went with a slight homer pick (though Hannah is still on the list of all time greatest Offensive Linemen ever).

Quarterback is so hard to list, because so many of them have over-inflated stats, because of the systems they ran. Is Tebow and Manziel better than Peyton Manning or Fran Tarkenton? Is Case Keenum better than Joe Montana?

Negative to both of those. I had a hard time picking QB's, so I didn't. I think I'm going to take out Archie and go with Peyton. As much as I like Fran Tarkenton (worked for my grandfather when he was in college), I don't think you can take a QB from that era and say how they are a top 5 of all time because they didn't pass that much.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, trying to decide between Mannings, Fran, Vince Young, Flutie, Marino, while also trying to decide if Vick, Manziel, Tebow, Charlie Ward, Tommie Frazier belong in there too. So much of a variety of styles to go through, on a "best" level.

Figures the Texas guys didn't watch anything but Texas games. That Longhorn Network Powerhouse.

Yeah, trying to decide between Mannings, Fran, Vince Young, Flutie, Marino, while also trying to decide if Vick, Manziel, Tebow, Charlie Ward, Tommie Frazier belong in there too. So much of a variety of styles to go through, on a "best" level.

Figures the Texas guys didn't watch anything but Texas games. That Longhorn Network Powerhouse.

Hah, you caught on to me. I purposely made all my picks players from the state of Texas. Well, Ricky Williams wasn't from Texas, but he played for Texas

Piggus

https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1649707

Interesting.

71% of 4 and 5 starts at a camp thought Oregon had the coolest uniform with Maryland at 8%.

Shit works.

Deal with it, bros. There's a reason we don't flip our shit when when someone changes the width of a stripe by a quarter inch. Doesn't matter if CFB snobs don't like it and are stuck in the past with their boring shit. It works for those who appreciate something new and interesting and that's all that matters.

Dat Xbox preference tho... Gross.

Talon

Yeah, if it were fun to watch, we'd be stuck with the last two decades I'm sure.

Barry Sanders
Reggie Bush
Ed Reed
Charles Woodson
Mike Vick

Well I only go back to the late 80s personally, so, something like ...

Barry Sanders
Raghib Ismail
Ty Detmer
Charles Woodson
Charlie Ward

... shit, keeping it to five is hard and I've probably forgot a ton of dudes.

Edit: shoutout to Andre Ware. Thanks for the NFL memories, guy.

cdyhybrid

Have a picture of Mike Leach, some other Wazzu football people, and a sturgeon. I didn't know there were any animals that big in Idaho.

PHmhDAA.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
USA today has us ranked pre-season 17. I have to admit, this upcoming season has me scared shitless. I would like to think worst case scenario, we have some breaks that don't go our way and we finish 7-5, 8-4.

But in the traditional way that pessimism pervades a Duke football fan's psyche once September looms closer, I could see us only winning 3 games. We're much better than that, but there it is.

andycapps

Trey Matthews' criminal ass ended up at.....guess where? that's right, Auburn.
Of course. Check cleared.

UGA DE, Sterling Bailey's dad had some thoughts about the kids leaving the program and there none too pleasant, for them.

More at the link.
“When I read some of the things said, it just made me sick to my stomach,” Bailey said. “That young man (Matthews) needs to realize who opened doors for him first. I’m speaking as a member of the Georgia Bulldog family, of the Bulldog Nation, because my son goes to school down there, too. I love Tray. I love his mom and dad, too. We’re good friends. But the comments I read made me feel like they were putting down the University of Georgia, the system and the coaches. Not one time did I see it mentioned what Coach Richt or the other coaches have done for him. That’s what made me mad.

“Coach Richt and the coaching staff opened their arms to this kid. They welcomed him into the Bulldog Nation and they stood behind him. For him to come out like that and make it seem like the University of Georgia had done him wrong, that’s what makes me so mad. Same with Shaq Wiggins and the other kids who had the opportunity to play at the University of Georgia. They leave and transfer and get dismissed from the team and they blame it on the school system. It’s not the system; it’s the kids. If you come and do what you’re supposed to do and do it right, you wouldn’t get in trouble and things like this wouldn’t come about.”

I made this post to explain why I love sports in this thread, and I figure you guys would be the most appreciative:

Its exciting and dramatic. Technical and emotional. It makes my heart pump hard and my fingers shake. It is better than any piece of fiction I have ever read or watched. I can still feel the roar from when Vince Young ran into the corner of the endzone in the 2006 Rose Bowl, and I can still feel nausea from the Crabtree catch in 2008.

Would be the answers I give when lying. The real answer is socially approved shit talking.

OU sucks.

Enron

Banned
Of course. Check cleared.

UGA DE, Sterling Bailey's dad had some thoughts about the kids leaving the program and there none too pleasant, for them.

More at the link.

Yeah I read those same things and all of those players whined and bitched about how they felt unwanted, back turned on them, etc.

What a bunch of self-centered total shitheads. I KNOW THAT I STOLE A CHECK AND SHIT BUT I LEARNED MY LESSON WHY DIDNT THEY STAND BEHIND ME etc. etc. as if the University and everyone else were the ones of deficient character, and not the fucking thieving-ass drunk-driving ass stupid motherfuckers that end up getting dismissed from the Georgia football program. Fuck these kids. Reality is going to hit these motherfuckers in the mouth one way or the other eventually.

andycapps

Saw this chart, last time each SEC team played a team from a "power conference" in the regular season:

Bp7lh7TCQAQVSxe.jpg

I would like to see one of these for every conference.

Yeah I read those same things and all of those players whined and bitched about how they felt unwanted, back turned on them, etc.

What a bunch of self-centered total shitheads. I KNOW THAT I STOLE A CHECK AND SHIT BUT I LEARNED MY LESSON WHY DIDNT THEY STAND BEHIND ME etc. etc. as if the University and everyone else were the ones of deficient character, and not the fucking thieving-ass drunk-driving ass stupid motherfuckers that end up getting dismissed from the Georgia football program. Fuck these kids. Reality is going to hit these motherfuckers in the mouth one way or the other eventually.
Yup, totally agree. Part of it that may have contributed to these kids getting a big head was that we needed them to play right away. They didn't have to earn it in taking it over from an upperclassman.

They had some navy seals in this weekend to train the team, seems like they got a lot out of it. The tweets by players are encouraging anyway. Seem like they were challenged mentally and obviously physically.

ag-my001

I am now officially prepared for the Aggies to go 2-10, and I will still be in a permanent good mood. It's amazing what getting engaged to a wonderful girl can do for your outlook.

Jhriad

I am now officially prepared for the Aggies to go 2-10, and I will still be in a permanent good mood. It's amazing what getting engaged to a wonderful girl can do for your outlook.

With the cake walk schedule for this year I'd be shocked if the Aggies did that poorly. Congrats btw! :)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Like promising recruits that the gameday atmosphere will be like Disney World?
After spending a week there, I can only assume this means he's promising them that it will be hot, rainy, they'll be waiting in lines for hours, and their feet will hurt like a sonofabitch.

Draxal

Like promising recruits that the gameday atmosphere will be like Disney World?

He's just getting outworked. When you're in a position like Rutgers is in you can't be outworked by PSU. Besides we were complimenting ESPN with the Disney reference to get back in their good graces.

After spending a week there, I can only assume this means he's promising them that it will be hot, rainy, they'll be waiting in lines for hours, and their feet will hurt like a sonofabitch.

Ha. Rained like hell all weekend. Spent some time in the superior Universal, though.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ha. Rained like hell all weekend. Spent some time in the superior Universal, though.
Kids, man. The wife and I both wanted to do a day at Universal, but the kids wanted to spend more time at Disney. We did a day at each park and then an extra day at the Magic Kingdom, because they didn't get to see Anna and Elsa the first day we were there.

andycapps

Kids, man. The wife and I both wanted to do a day at Universal, but the kids wanted to spend more time at Disney. We did a day at each park and then an extra day at the Magic Kingdom, because they didn't get to see Anna and Elsa the first day we were there.

My daughter is at Disney this week with her grandparents. We don't know what to do with ourselves now that the house is to ourselves. Maybe I'll just go in full on dad mode and walk around in tighty whities.

Probably still won't do anything since World Cup is on, though I am going to build a firepit this week.

ag-my001

Congrats man. Just don't have one of "those" Aggy weddings.
Don't worry about that. A maroon like color may appear, but that was her choice of color scheme. I doubt we'll even play the War Hymn. The people in Maryland would be confused by spirit and enthusiasm for a football team.

You're right. Better keep the "Whoop!"ing to a minimum too, lest an elderly librarian give you the loudest "SHHHH!" you've ever heard.

A friend of mine was on the film crew that shot Michigan's latest school advertisement, which featured an gymnast on an Olympic trampoline smack dab in the middle of the Law Library. The shushing and death stares were reportedly epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom