• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently over the weekend incoming Texas Tech true freshman DB Nigel Bethel punched one of the women's basketball players in a pick-up game at the rec center and has been dismissed from the team. The female player is going to need surgery after she broke a bone.

The word on what happened is that everybody involved in the game (some football players, a few WBB players, and then just some randoms) was getting really physical and at some point he got hard fouled after a layup and got up swinging without even knowing who he was swinging at. Rumors are that he broke her jaw in a few places and knocked out some molars.

::edit::
News coming out now sure seems to make it looks worse than the rumors.
::/edit::

I'm not a big twitter guy but it seems like half of what he was posting on there was about being glad he was out of the 'hood in Miami and talking about how he's grown up past all the guys he left behind. Guess he hadn't grown up as much as he thought he had. Hope he gets his head on straight wherever he lands, and hope she recovers quickly. If the rumor above is at all true she'll be looking at several weeks wired shut.

The guy was one of our top recruits in the 2014 class and basically already had a starting job waiting for him. Hurts our CB depth at a minimum. Good thing we signed about a hundred DBs in this last class.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Gatas gonna Gata:

K3hssKe.jpg

http://gamedayr.com/sports/college-...ron-hernandez-florida-gators-calendar-111358/

Draxal

Teams switching conferences tomorrow.

Appalachian State Southern to Sun Belt
Davidson Southern to Atlantic 10
East Carolina Conference USA to American Athletic Conference
Elon Southern to Colonial
ETSU Atlantic Sun to Southern
Georgia Southern Southern to Sun Belt
Idaho WAC to Big Sky
Louisville American Athletic Conference to ACC
Maryland ACC to Big Ten
Mercer Atlantic Sun to Southern
Oral Roberts Southland to Summit
Rutgers American Athletic Conference to Big Ten
Tulane Conference USA to American Athletic Conference
Tulsa Conference USA to American Athletic Conference
VMI Big South to Southern
Western Kentucky Sun Belt to Conference USA

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 1h
North Carolihna announces it has received a verbal notice of inquiry from the NCAA that it will reopen its 2011 examination of academic...

Schad doesn't have a good rep, but :lol UNC, when they thought they were out, they got right back in.

But yeah, Schad, it's spelled "Carolina"

Teams switching conferences tomorrow.

Appalachian State Southern to Sun Belt
Davidson Southern to Atlantic 10
East Carolina Conference USA to American Athletic Conference
Elon Southern to Colonial
ETSU Atlantic Sun to Southern
Georgia Southern Southern to Sun Belt
Idaho WAC to Big Sky
Louisville American Athletic Conference to ACC
Maryland ACC to Big Ten
Mercer Atlantic Sun to Southern
Oral Roberts Southland to Summit
Rutgers American Athletic Conference to Big Ten
Tulane Conference USA to American Athletic Conference
Tulsa Conference USA to American Athletic Conference
VMI Big South to Southern
Western Kentucky Sun Belt to Conference USA

App State from Southern to Sun Belt is somewhat controversial around these parts. They're going from being a fairly big dog in a small pond (FCS) to being completely irrelevant (FBS). I hope the money's worth it, and that it pays for all the additional scholarships (not just for football, wouldn't Title IX stipulate that women's sports must grow by an equal measure?), higher salaries, travel costs, etc.

Also of local interest, Davidson leaving the Southern for the A10 isn't going to impact football, they were not competing in FCS as it was and will still not compete (they field a non-scholarship team at some lower level). They've actually been pretty decent in basketball (notably, the run with Stephen Curry, but they've been one of the better SoCon teams with and without Curry), and this should help them, but it could be a rough adjustment.

Maryland... bye, Turtles. You're going from having no dedicated rival to reciprocate your hate to having no dedicated rival to reciprocate your hate. Good luck.

Louisville, welcome aboard! [/ACC]

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Was he the one that testified during O'Bannon's trial? I was going to include something along the lines of "payback from the trial", but I couldn't exactly remember why I thought UNC came up in the O'Bannon trial.

Draxal

App State from Southern to Sun Belt is somewhat controversial around these parts. They're going from being a fairly big dog in a small pond (FCS) to being completely irrelevant (FBS). I hope the money's worth it, and that it pays for all the additional scholarships (not just for football, wouldn't Title IX stipulate that women's sports must grow by an equal measure?), higher salaries, travel costs, etc.

Also of local interest, Davidson leaving the Southern for the A10 isn't going to impact football, they were not competing in FCS as it was and will still not compete (they field a non-scholarship team at some lower level). They've actually been pretty decent in basketball (notably, the run with Stephen Curry, but they've been one of the better SoCon teams with and without Curry), and this should help them, but it could be a rough adjustment.

Maryland... bye, Turtles. You're going from having no dedicated rival to reciprocate your hate to having no dedicated rival to reciprocate your hate. Good luck.

Louisville, welcome aboard! [/ACC]

Honestly, I can see PSU/Maryland being a rivalry real quick. God knows how much pure hatred PSU inspires in me right now, and they're pulling the same shit on them as well. Maryland has the talent to easily beat them this year as well if they don't get hurt like last year.

Honestly, I can see PSU/Maryland being a rivalry real quick. God knows how much pure hatred PSU inspires in me right now, and they're pulling the same stuff on them as well. Maryland has the talent to easily beat them this year as well if they don't get hurt like last year.

Maryland hating people is not an issue. They hate everyone and can get quite vulgar about it (ask anyone from Duke or Carolina about playing up at Maryland in basketball). The problem, as often cited by some Maryland fans, is that they were never the other school's #1 rival. Indeed, at Duke, they would remind the turtles of this with signs and chants ("not our rival"). Maryland can hate Duke all day long, but Duke's biggest concern is North Carolina, and always will be. It's all in good fun, I guess, and I found the Duke/Maryland basketball games to often be some of the best in basketball, but that's now lost (that stretch in the early 2000s was just amazing and produced basketball championships for both schools).

Maryland fan might very well come to hate Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, with the same intensity they hated Duke, Carolina, NC State (or, I guess, Clemson or Florida State in football, but Maryland is more of a basketball school). But I think those other schools will continue to have one another higher on their own rivalry leaderboards.

Draxal

Maryland hating people is not an issue. They hate everyone and can get quite vulgar about it (ask anyone from Duke or Carolina about playing up at Maryland in basketball). The problem, as often cited by some Maryland fans, is that they were never the other school's #1 rival. Indeed, at Duke, they would remind the turtles of this with signs and chants ("not our rival"). Maryland can hate Duke all day long, but Duke's biggest concern is North Carolina, and always will be. It's all in good fun, I guess, and I found the Duke/Maryland basketball games to often be some of the best in basketball, but that's now lost (that stretch in the early 2000s was just amazing and produced basketball championships for both schools).

Maryland fan might very well come to hate Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, with the same intensity they hated Duke, Carolina, NC State (or, I guess, Clemson or Florida State in football, but Maryland is more of a basketball school). But I think those other schools will continue to have one another higher on their own rivalry leaderboards.

Ayup, I know about Maryland's inferiority complex compared to the Carolina schools. The thing is PSU doesn't have a rival as well, and I have a feeling that they're going to suck this year (they have no offensive line depth at all).

Maryland is also a border state and doesn't have to deal with pesky UVA/VTECH being in between them.

Basketball it will be a different story as PSU is garbage, I know they have some past with MSU and IZZO.

ag-my001

As a native of Maryland (but not a Terp thank goodness), I can say their ability to hate is second to none. The only issue is to get them to care. Ravens? Absolutely. Orioles? Getting there after 15 years of ineptitude. The Terps? I see more sweatshirts in my high school for Penn State, Ohio State, and West Virginia.

Penn State is the best bet for a long term rival, as they don't play Pitt any more, but I don't know if there's enough fertile soil in the state to grow it into something big.

cdyhybrid

Was he the one that testified during O'Bannon's trial? I was going to include something along the lines of "payback from the trial", but I couldn't exactly remember why I thought UNC came up in the O'Bannon trial.

Earlier this month, former North Carolina basketball player Rashad McCants made headlines when he alleged academic fraud to "Outside the Lines," saying he had papers written for him and that no-show classes helped keep him eligible. A copy of his transcript obtained by "Outside the Lines" showed that in his African-American Studies classes he had 10 A's, six B's, one C and one D. In his other classes, McCants got six C's, one D and three F's.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...investigation-academic-scandal-north-carolina

And Speaking or Maryland Rivalries, heres this little nugget:

Maryland has "entered conversations" with Rutgers and Penn State to create rivalry trophies

cdyhybrid

Marylands not even in our conf yet and i hate them, they did some info graphics for each team in the B1Gm heres OSU's:

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=209527264

and this little nugget is in there:

Notable Former Athletes, Football: Jake Ballard, Mike Adams, A.J. Hawk, Terrelle Pryor, Malcolm Jenkins, Mike Vrabel

uhhhhhhh, wut? Yeah lets not include Archie, or Eddie George

also #13!

They forgot star Ohio State University football running back Maurice Clarett - who played running back at Ohio State University under his given name, Maurice Clarett.

Enron

Banned
So Tech produces nothing but murderers, child abusers, and drug dealers. Got it. I'm not sure what is more disturbing, what this guy did, or guys like you who got all giddy with happiness and excitement when you read about it.

nope, not going to do it.

You really should lighten up.

andycapps

As a native of Maryland (but not a Terp thank goodness), I can say their ability to hate is second to none. The only issue is to get them to care. Ravens? Absolutely. Orioles? Getting there after 15 years of ineptitude. The Terps? I see more sweatshirts in my high school for Penn State, Ohio State, and West Virginia.

Penn State is the best bet for a long term rival, as they don't play Pitt any more, but I don't know if there's enough fertile soil in the state to grow it into something big.

This does seem to be true. I know a lot of people from Maryland and none of them are Terps fans, and they're definitely not Terps football fans. NFL is much bigger in that area of the country than CFB. My mind can't comprehend that.

Marylands not even in our conf yet and i hate them, they did some info graphics for each team in the B1Gm heres OSU's:

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=209527264

and this little nugget is in there:

Notable Former Athletes, Football: Jake Ballard, Mike Adams, A.J. Hawk, Terrelle Pryor, Malcolm Jenkins, Mike Vrabel

uhhhhhhh, wut? Yeah lets not include Archie, or Eddie George

also #13!

They seem to be like Florida fans, only remember recent history.
but they forgot #13 like you said!

Schmitty

Honestly, I can see PSU/Maryland being a rivalry real quick. God knows how much pure hatred PSU inspires in me right now, and they're pulling the same shit on them as well. Maryland has the talent to easily beat them this year as well if they don't get hurt like last year.

It is nice to actually play schools that are close to us now. People who grow up in the tri state area don't all go to midwest big schools so maybe that will help out with the games being good against maryland and rutgers

Talon

As long as she's not shooting endangered animals, I don't really care, but there's something about this picture that's a little bit disturbing:
Well, the thing is, you hear "big game hunter," and you think they're wild animals...

...but in reality most of these places actually raise these animals from birth in a domesticated outdoor environment. And the handlers pretty much lead the hunters to them, say "come here" and the hunters kill them. And the hunters pay the handlers a shit ton of money for this authentic experience.

Pretty fucked up. At least with hunting in the states, it's governed by game commissions due to necessity.

Ed. note: Never mind that I might be a bear.

Texas Tech cheerleader catching some grief for being an African big game hunter.

I don't think it looks too bad other than the decal seeming like it's a lot higher than it should be.

I saw this story earlier today and was in the process of making a post about it but decided otherwise. She wants a reality show like Sarah Palin's Alaska, except her's will take place in Africa. I don't approve of her killing elephants, but at least she's not just harvesting their ivory tusks :/

mre

Well, the thing is, you hear "big game hunter," and you think they're wild animals...

...but in reality most of these places actually raise these animals from birth in a domesticated outdoor environment. And the handlers pretty much lead the hunters to them, say "come here" and the hunters kill them. And the hunters pay the handlers a shit ton of money for this authentic experience.

Pretty fucked up. At least with hunting in the states, it's governed by game commissions due to necessity.

Ed. note: Never mind that I might be a bear.
Don't get me wrong, I think that's despicable, but it's not something that's going to upset me enough to even type words of internet outrage.

Talon

Don't get me wrong, I think that's despicable, but it's not something that's going to upset me enough to even type words of internet outrage.
It's despicable, and I think it's idiotic that it's glorified by some people.

KingGondo

Banned
I honestly wouldn't have that much of a problem if she didn't have that smile in every one of her picks.
I'd have a problem with it anyways, but the perky grin pushes it into full-on disgusting territory.

Have some damn respect for the creature whose life you just took.

I'd have a problem with it anyways, but the perky grin pushes it into full-on disgusting territory.

Have some damn respect for the creature whose life you just took.

Tell that to the Oklahoma St. cheerleader who just booked her flight to Africa. She wants to hunt the Big 5 too!

yeah yeah choices of individuals at their respective institutions don't reflect University decisions thus wouldn't count towards OSU's "Xerox U" label even if my statement were true.

andycapps

Honestly, I don't care that she's a cheerleader, anybody shooting animals for sport is shit in my opinion. I don't consider myself a treehugger at all, but I do consider myself as trying to be reasonable about what humans are doing to take care of the earth. There's been enough species wiped out, we don't need to lose the lion. Seeing her holding up the lion's head, that's just unnecessary. There's not many of them out there and for her to just come in and shoot them for no reason other than to further her hunting career is not right, to me. The cheetah, same deal. The zebra? There's tons of those, carry on. Shoot as many deer as you want too, they're all over the place and fuck up everybody's cars when they get overpopulated.

This would really do better in it's own thread, but it'd be a shitshow.

mre

Honestly, I don't care that she's a cheerleader, anybody shooting animals for sport is shit in my opinion. I don't consider myself a treehugger at all, but I do consider myself as trying to be reasonable about what humans are doing to take care of the earth. There's been enough species wiped out, we don't need to lose the lion. Seeing her holding up the lion's head, that's just unnecessary. There's not many of them out there and for her to just come in and shoot them for no reason other than to further her hunting career is not right, to me. The cheetah, same deal. The zebra? There's tons of those, carry on. Shoot as many deer as you want too, they're all over the place and fuck up everybody's cars when they get overpopulated.

This would really do better in it's own thread, but it'd be a shitshow.
I have some news for you, my friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom