• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
He has to sit out for a year, I assume?

A reporter on the twitters said OU is going to ask for a waiver so he will be immediately eligible. Didn't say the reason. Usually it's a sick grandma but would be odd coincidence if he has a sick grandma in the Norman area. Anyway, I watched a Mizzou game in person last year and I don't remember anything he did. Granted it was like 20 degrees.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
A reporter on the twitters said OU is going to ask for a waiver so he will be immediately eligible. Didn't say the reason. Usually it's a sick grandma but would be odd coincidence if he has a sick grandma in the Norman area. Anyway, I watched a Mizzou game in person last year and I don't remember anything he did. Granted it was like 20 degrees.

There is a rule for transfers, used recently for a basketball transfer from LSU to Oklahoma State, which allows a player to be eligible immediately if he is "in good academic standing and the school he is transferring from (provides) a statement that verifies he was not invited to remain in the program."

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I have forsaken the Gator. Pirates ARRRRRRRR

Most years ECU is the best CFB team in NC...

just not last year

tumblr_lmjlbjI0dO1qj47b7o1_500.png

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Football weather in the mid-south this morning. 61 degrees. Bring on the Makers Mark and pimento cheese sandwiches already.

Football weather in the mid-south this morning. 61 degrees. Bring on the Makers Mark and pimento cheese sandwiches already.

Pretty good here, not a cloud in the sky and only supposed to be 75. Best 4th of July weather I can remember.

Time to go illegally shoot fireworks off

andycapps

Alabama RB Kenyon Drake got arrested last night. Mark Richt has lost control of Tuscaloosa and Nick Saban doesn't have time for this shit.

I set off some great illegal fireworks last night.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Alabama RB Kenyon Drake got arrested last night. Mark Richt has lost control of Tuscaloosa and Nick Saban doesn't have time for this shit.

I set off some great illegal fireworks last night.
And on such a weird charge as well.

Section 13A-10-2 - Obstructing governmental operations.

(a) A person commits the crime of obstructing governmental operations if, by means of intimidation, physical force or interference or by any other independently unlawful act, he:

(1) Intentionally obstructs, impairs or hinders the administration of law or other governmental function; or

(2) Intentionally prevents a public servant from performing a governmental function.

(b) This section does not apply to the obstruction, impairment or hindrance of the making of an arrest.

(c) Obstructing governmental operations is a Class A misdemeanor
No clue what the fuck the dumb ass did this time.

mre

And on such a weird charge as well.

No clue what the fuck the dumb ass did this time.
Did a little digging and found this:
From the very early details that I have heard, Kenyan refused to provide information when asked a question regarding an incident. (Again, just early details on a story of which I can't confirm)
Which is supported by a guy who is a cop somewhere in Alabama who said:
This charge is used when someone blatantly refuses to cooperate with a law enforcement officer who is investigating a crime or has probable cause a crime has been committed.
So Drake refused to "snitch" and cops a charge.

I hope Saban makes him run 10 stadium steps (not 10 sets, just 10 steps) and gives him a popsicle.

cashman

Banned
Did a little digging and found this:

Which is supported by a guy who is a cop somewhere in Alabama who said:

So Drake refused to "snitch" and cops a charge.

I hope Saban makes him run 10 stadium steps (not 10 sets, just 10 steps) and gives him a popsicle.

Does he not have the right to not talk with police or does that not apply here?

cdyhybrid

Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS 4m

NCAA releases football hitting and concussion safety guidelines http://cbsprt.co/1jhsjqL

The NCAA released Monday new guidelines for concussion safety, including limiting live contact football practices to two per week during the season.

The Ivy League and Pac-12 are the only conferences that currently have live-contact practice rules. The NCAA has not had live hitting rules. The NCAA's new guidelines:

* Preseason: Four live contact practices per week, with a maximum of 12 in the preseason. Only three practices (scrimmages) can allow for live contact to exceed 50 percent of the practice schedule. Live contact is only allowed once a day on days with two practice sessions.

* Inseason, postseason and bowl season: No more than two live contact practices per week.

* Spring practice: Eight of the 15 practices may involve live contact; three of those live contact practices may exceed 50 percent live contact (scrimmages). Live contact practices are limited to two in a given week and may not occur on consecutive days.

The guidelines state there is limited data addressing the issue of live contact vs. teaching and conditioning. But the guidelines cite a presentation by North Carolina head football athletic trainer Scott Trulock that found:

"* The number of non-concussive head impacts sustained in helmets-only and full-pad practices is higher than those sustained in games/scrimmages."

"* Mild- and moderate-intensity head impacts occur at an essentially equal rate during full and half-pad practices when the intent of practice is not noted."

"* Severe-intensity head impacts are much more likely to occur during a game, followed by full-pad practices and half-pad practices."

"* There is a 14-fold increase in concussive impacts in full-pad practices when compared to half-pad or helmets-only practices."

"* Offensive linemen and defensive linemen experience more head impacts during both full-pad and half-pad practices relative to all other positions."

“Could there be pockets of opposition (from coaches)? It wouldn't surprise me,” said Oklahoma head athletic trainer Scott Anderson, president of the College Athletic Trainers' Society. “But we've vetted these things very strongly through all of the stakeholders and everybody had an opportunity to give their say.”

We're 5-10 years away from touch football. Of course there's risk of concussion in football, its a contact sport. Are they nerfing Rugby overseas to prevent concussion?

Does rugby have similar rates of concussions and of CTE later in life?

Probably not to the extent of football, but from my 30 seconds of research, it does seem prevalent in some capacity.

wiki said:
Rugby[edit]
Researchers found Australian rugby union player Barry "Tizza" Taylor died in 2013 of complications of severe CTE with dementia at age 77. Taylor played for 19 years in amateur and senior leagues before becoming a coach. [62]

In 2013, Dr Willie Stewart, Consultant Neuropathologist at the Institute of Neurological Sciences at the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow, identified CTE in the brain of a former amateur rugby player in his 50s which is believed to be the first confirmed case of early onset dementia caused by CTE in a rugby player. [63]

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
We're 5-10 years away from touch football. Of course there's risk of concussion in football, its a contact sport. Are they nerfing Rugby overseas to prevent concussion?

Players don't lead with their forehead directly into other player's temples in rugby or drive their nose directly into another player's solar plexus. Contact in rugby is very different than contact in football. There are also a lot fewer people getting hit on any given play in a rugby game, as there is no blocking, and thus no blindside hits and such.

I'm sure rugby has a higher concussion rate than sports like basketball or soccer but I would be very surprised if it is as high as football. I've played both rugby and football, and known a fair number of guys that played both rugby and football (including a good number that played college football), and it's pretty much unanimous from everyone I've talked to that rugby is a much safer sport overall.

Players don't lead with their forehead directly into other player's temples in rugby (of course, they wouldn't do that in football either if they didn't have helmets). Contact in rugby is very different than contact in football.

I'm sure rugby has a higher concussion rate than sports like basketball or soccer but I would be very surprised if it is as high as football.

If it weren't for helmets in football, life expectancy would be under 30 for the players. Football has more frequent head to head contact than any other sport, and helmets are the only reason they can continue on this way. Sports like soccer and rugby, head to head contact occurs very infrequently, but one blow to the head in those sports can do serious damage right away since they aren't wearing helmets.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
If it weren't for helmets in football, life expectancy would be under 30 for the players. Football has more frequent head to head contact than any other sport, and helmets are the only reason they can continue on this way. Sports like soccer and rugby, head to head contact occurs very infrequently, but one blow to the head in those sports can do serious damage right away since they aren't wearing helmets.

Football didn't develop to have helmets because it requires more head to head contact, football developed to have more head to head contact because of the helmets. Using your face is not a requirement for tackling someone to the ground. If you take the helmets away from football there would be less head to head contact, and if you add helmets to rugby there would be more head to head contact.

Football didn't develop to have helmets because it requires more head to head contact, football developed to have more head to head contact because of the helmets. Using your face is not a requirement for tackling someone to the ground. If you take the helmets away from football there would be less head to head contact, and if you add helmets to rugby there would be more head to head contact.

I agree. Football was formed around head to head contact playing a major role in the sport. What, if anything, should be done about concussions then? The helmet to helmet and targeting penalties I believe are a justified attempt to rid the game of this form of contact ( helmet to shoulder shouldn't be flagged though ). Should football be played without helmets?

andycapps

It's true. Richard Von Albade Gammon's death in 1897 almost had the sport outlawed in the state of Georgia. A bill passed the representatives and senate, and if his mom hadn't written the governor begging that he veto the bill, it would have become law.

It later became an issue for Teddy Roosevelt to handle as well at a national level.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Should football be played without helmets?

I personally think so, but after the way the game is played having already been developed for decades with all the players wearing suits of armor I think it's too far gone for that.

If I had to guess, I think that football will ultimately go the way of boxing unless some kind of really drastic changes are made. Fewer parents are going to let their kids do it and thus we'll have more kids growing up being fans of something else; soccer is going to make inroads with the kids that would previously have been playing football, and with 7s rugby being a sport in the next Summer Olympics that may start getting a bit more popular as well. It's going to take a loooooooooong time to happen if it ever happens, since the NFL is such a juggernaut right now, but what happens with college football with all this unionization and amateur vs pro talk is something to watch. If CFB gets neutered you'll have that many fewer people getting into it at a younger age. Football also doesn't have the popularity in foreign markets to fall back on like boxing does, though, so who knows what would happen.

On a side note, I personally think (without having checked any studies or anything to back this up) that MMA is safer than boxing for much the same reason as why rugby is safer than football; in MMA if you take a single remotely decent shot to the head you're probably done while in boxing you can get rocked a hundred times in a night and not even lose, and the "protective" gear (namely gloves) is to thank for that.

andycapps

Aaron Murray was on the Bachelorette tonight for hometown dates. I had no idea he was contestant Josh's brother.

Yup. Josh was actually a walk-on at UGA, I don't know if they've ever mentioned that on the show. They always talk about his minor league baseball career.

Chris Conley (UGA receiver) released his Star Wars fan film the other day. It's titled Star Wars: Retribution. You can see appearances by Mark Richt and Todd Gurley in it. Chris Conley is a bright kid. On the NCAA Student-Athlete Advisory Committee as well as being part of UGA's student-athlete leadership academy.

Star Wars: Retribution

Okay this is funny.

LqPrKyr.png

mre

Chris Conley (UGA receiver) released his Star Wars fan film the other day. It's titled Star Wars: Retribution. You can see appearances by Mark Richt and Todd Gurley in it. Chris Conley is a bright kid. On the NCAA Student-Athlete Advisory Committee as well as being part of UGA's student-athlete leadership academy.
Finally, a Mandalorian more useless than Boba Fett.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://espn.go.com/college-football...miami-hurricanes-players-arrested-sex-charges

Two University of Miami football players arrested on sexual battery charges against a "physically helpless" 17-year-old girl were dismissed from the team and suspended Tuesday.

Court and jail records show JaWand Blue and Alexander Figueroa were booked on the charges Tuesday. Both are 20-year-old linebackers.

According to the police report, both players admitted to buying drinks for the accuser, bringing her back to Figueroa's dorm room in the early-morning hours of Saturday and repeatedly performing sexual acts, including intercourse, without her consent while she was "physically helpless to resist."

Both players face charges of sexual battery on a physically helpless victim and are being held on $10,000 bond, according to the Miami-Dade County records obtained by the Palm Beach Post.

Figueroa is additionally charged with possession of a stolen or forged driver's license.

No attorney was listed for either man. The Coral Gables police report said the accuser, a UM student, first reported the assault to university police, which turned to the Coral Gables department to investigate.

In a statement released Tuesday, Miami athletic director Blake James said the players had been dismissed from the team and suspended and barred from campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom