• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 10: The Florida Georgia Line

Dan Patrick is teeing off on Fowler right now over his SEC/ESPN bias defense he went on Saturday.
I generally like Fowler, but he's so full of shit when it comes to this SEC stuff.

ESPN is notorious for conflicts of interest and giving preferential treatment to leagues in bed financially with them. It's why they don't giving a flying fuck about the NHL.

jakncoke

Banned
Penn St is 35-1-1 all time against Maryland so its only fitting we'll end up losing to them to disappoint me further this season. Last time we played was 1993 and we won 70-7

andycapps

I generally like Fowler, but he's so full of shit when it comes to this SEC stuff.

ESPN is notorious for conflicts of interest and giving preferential treatment to leagues in bed financially with them. It's why they don't giving a flying fuck about the NHL.

But ESPN is in bed with all the major conferences in CFB.

Lunar15 said:
Looks like two jokes just went over your head.

Guess I just didn't think the latter was funny.

Draxal

But ESPN is in bed with all the major conferences in CFB.

Full ownership of SEC and controlling interests in ACC (which is why I was actually shocked that Cowherd called out the UNC scandal with Espn's Ceo being a UNC alum).

Partial ownership of Pac Twelve, Big Ten and Big Twelve's with the Big Ten's media rights contract ending in 2016, with the LHN being Espn affiliated and the Big Ten Network being fox affiliated. Pac Twelve Network is soley owned by the Pac 12 (which is why they are having some distribution issues, can't bully as a package deal unlike fox/bten and abc/sec).

Let's just say it wasn't a coincidence that the UNC scandal was the headline of foxsports website. While on Espn.com it was buried.

To a degree, sure, but they don't operate a cable network for the B1G, Pac 12, Big 12 (outside of LHN) or ACC.

If there was money in it, ESPN could easily form an ACC network after the ACC buys it rights back from Raycom.

Talon

ESPN's coverage also reflects the lack of attention that hockey gets outside of the Midwest and Canada.

andycapps

To a degree, sure, but they don't operate a cable network for the B1G, Pac 12, Big 12 (outside of LHN) or ACC.

Right, but people have been complaining about this for years. The SECN just started this year. I believe ESPN has first tier media rights for every major conference. The only difference with the SEC (and Texas) is that they operate a channel dedicated to that conference (or team in case of Texas).

Talon said:
ESPN's coverage also reflects the lack of attention that hockey gets outside of the Midwest and Canada.

Nailed it. They also rarely talk about MLS. Not trying to stir up a conversation over which sports are more popular, but just stating a fact.

Limedust

TTU tried to bankrupt TCU:

The Horned Frogs' 82-27 home victory over Texas Tech on Saturday came with a cost: They scored so many points that they burned through their season supply of fireworks.

Drew Martin, TCU's assistant AD for marketing and licensing, said Monday he's working with the school's game-day pyrotechnician to determine just how big a fireworks order the school needs to place for its final two home games.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

boom.gif

Meier

Nervous about the game on Thursday -- we'll probably end up wearing the blacks and shit the bed in them. Another one where I won't even be able to watch much of it live due to existing plans. Fingers crossed.

HeySeuss

There's a decent following in the northeast and like lacrosse the people that usually follow it are well heeled.

But not enough to move the needle. When they lose ratings when the talk about hockey or mls, you can pretty much guarantee that it won't be discussed much.

It's just not popular enough yet. I think pro wrestling still gets better ratings than hockey.

JCX

Excited to sit down and watch a full day of football. I've been either tailgating or out of town most saturdays this season.

Jimbo was just relaying simple facts, not sure what the big uproar is about...

1) ESPN does have money in the SEC

2) FSU was dominant last year

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Do either of those have anything to do with Winston's numerous issues or Karlos' current Pregnant Woman assault?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Captain Jimbo is gonna go down with the USS Winston.
Which will break upon the iceberg of "spurious" rape/assault allegations, while the passengers drown in the lifeboats of "high character" and "innocence."

If there's ever "proof" that FSU assisted in covering up Winston's actions, let this stand as evidence that FSU has, in fact, benefited from its actions in the recruiting arena: https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...r-s-handling-of-jameis-winston-115451773.html

andycapps

Which will break upon the iceberg of "spurious" rape/assault allegations, while the passengers drown in the lifeboats of "high character" and "innocence."

If there's ever "proof" that FSU assisted in covering up Winston's actions, let this stand as evidence that FSU has, in fact, benefited from its actions in the recruiting arena: https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...r-s-handling-of-jameis-winston-115451773.html

The NCAA also hinted today that if schools are aware of activities that would jeopardize the eligibility of their athletes that they should suspend them immediately and that if they play them in games while knowing they should be suspended, they'll forfeit wins. Meaning, Jameis Winston autographs looming large here because NCAA contrasted this with how UGA has handled the situation with Gurley.

“From the facts that we know today, publicly, Georgia’s behavior has been commendable,” Emmert said in an interview with the Associated Press Monday. “They, apparently, saw something that concerned them, and they dealt with it directly and their athletic department seems to have handled that very, very appropriately based on what we know today.”

Meanwhile, Florida State has continued to play Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston even after he was also accused of receiving improper benefits for autographs. Playing ineligible players could mean a school having to vacate wins.

“When a school has information about inappropriate behavior that might render a student-athlete ineligible, then they’re under an obligation to respond,” Emmert said. “If it turns out later that they did know and did have facts that demonstrated that someone was ineligible and they played them anyway, then sure those wins can be vacated and that’s happened many times.”

Ganhyun

NCAA commending UGA on how they handled the Gurley situation but still haven't made a decision concerning him.

Of course, I seen this on Facebook, so I see an FSU fan trolling the UGA fans saying things like Gurley should be gone for good since he admitted to being paid to sign those autographs. Of course, he is totally ok with the punishment Winston got for stealing crablegs and the whole rape accusation and still being able to play.

Ahh, Facebook trolls.

Dave Brandon is the gift that keeps on giving.

MGoBlog - David Brandon: "I Suggest You Find A New Team"

Dave Brandon said:
BRANDON: I don't believe you know what "due respect" is....

You sent a snarky, negative article at 11:58 PM the night of a very disappointing loss....telling me what "we" are sick of! I didn't know you had been elected to represent anyone. I don't know who you are....and I really don't care about your views based on "what you read." And, I don't accept you as a representative of anyone other than yourself.

For you to point out that "we just want to win" is really profound. Do you think our kids and coaches don't want to win? Do you think I don't want to win? Really????

I don't know what you do for a living...but if you want to be an athletic director....go for it. If you want to be a coach...go for it.

As it relates to seeing me on TV or in newspapers....I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't know or care about that stuff....apparently, you do. You really should get a different hobby!

I will let the ticket office know of your decision to give up your seats. I am sure we can use your email address to locate your file. I am sure you will be much happier....because clearly your anger and frustration over our disappointing season has gotten the best of you.

It's too bad...if you got to know our kids and coaches, you would likely enjoy supporting them even when times are tough. They are quality people who care a lot about Michigan. Their efforts, sacrifices and commitment goes beyond putting go blue in their email address and pretending to be a loyal fan - they stay positive and continue to fight even when people like you attack them and the outcome of their efforts.

I wish you well....and I hope you find a team to support that wins every game and every season is a complete success.

Dave

This dumb fucker wanted to be a governor!

Unrelated: MGoBlog is a hideous website, even by unofficial fansite standards. It makes my eyes hurt every time I visit.

I expect Florida's defense to play pretty well also. That hasn't been the issue, it's been their offense turning the ball over so much. If we have Gurley back this week as I think we will, the game seems much more in hand. Chubb is great, but he's not Gurley and to have that amount of depth where we can roll in backs who both play so hard throughout the game will eventually wear Florida down where those 2-3 yard runs will start to become 8-12 yard runs late in the game. That's been the pattern all year, our OL wears them down and our RB's start to take over. I expect the same in this game.

I expect heavy blitzes early in the game to get in Harris' head. Lots of defensive adjustments pre-snap to try to confuse him, etc.

Pretty cool history on the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party here. Of course it's from the Georgia perspective (the correct perspective), but it's pretty fair and has some cool stories in there about the series.

I predict UGA gets 200 yards of offense and two scores. I predict UF gives up seven overall scores.

Limedust

Meanwhile, Florida State has continued to play Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston even after he was also accused of receiving improper benefits for autographs. Playing ineligible players could mean a school having to vacate wins.

“When a school has information about inappropriate behavior that might render a student-athlete ineligible, then they’re under an obligation to respond,” Emmert said. “If it turns out later that they did know and did have facts that demonstrated that someone was ineligible and they played them anyway, then sure those wins can be vacated and that’s happened many times.”

Or in the recent cases of Alabama or USC, they may vacate wins if the school "should have known..."

xeris

I find it amusing that Brandon's emails are routinely deleted specifically to avoid FOIA requests. That doesn't look bad at all, no sir.

andycapps

I predict UGA gets 200 yards of offense and two scores. I predict UF gives up seven overall scores.

Seems probable. Except I think UGA gets a lot more than 200 yards of offense. Mason won't cross that mark, because I don't even know if he has all year. They don't need to. They'll hand it off to Gurley about 2/3 of the time, and Chubb the other 1/3. I expect Gurley to get about 150-200 yards and Chubb about 100. The majority of those rushing yards will be on explosive plays, I expect Florida to actually hold them on most rushes to short yardage. It just gets harder as the game goes on to continue to do that when your offense sucks as much as Florida's does and with how physical Georgia has been this year on offense.

Draconian

I'm assuming Florida/UGA was one of those games that CBS announced they would air before the season starts? If not, then lol at whatever fool chose that over Auburn/Ole Miss.

GAF Pick'em Week 10 Games

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by X
Duke @ Pittsburgh by X
Northwestern @ Iowa by X
Maryland @ Penn State by X
NC State @ Syracuse by X
TCU @ West Virginia by X
Auburn @ Ole Miss by X
Stanford @ Oregon by X
Tennessee @ South Carolina by X
Texas @ Texas Tech by X
Arizona @ UCLA by X