• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 10: The Florida Georgia Line

...so which one is, Big 12? Definitely isn't Big 10 or ACC, that's for sure

Yeah the Big 12. From a division standpoint, the SEC W of course is the strongest division, which is somewhat closely followed by the Pac12 South. From a conference standpoint, the Big 12 is the second strongest top to bottom. Half of the conference is ranked in the AP top 20 and everyone plays everyone. Kansas is a joke, but so is Colorado in the Pac and Vandy in the SEC.

Yeah, they genuinely do.

Michigan being this shitty for this long is bad for the B1G and bad for the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry. They've been down long enough. Time for them to finally get their shit together and run these idiots out of AA.

Michigan did this to themselves and don't deserve shit. To think they do is elitist entitlement bullshit. I get the same thrill out of my team dismantling a bad Michigan team as a hard-fought win over a good one.

All this conference rah-rah crap sucks.

andycapps

Michigan did this to themselves and don't deserve shit. To think they do is elitist entitlement bullshit. I get the same thrill out of my team dismantling a bad Michigan team as a hard-fought win over a good one.

It's possible to enjoy wins over a rival while still recognizing that them being down is bad for the conference.

You're just peeved because you know once UM returns it will mean the end of your cute little run in the sun. OSU fans don't have that concern.

Jhriad

Forgot that the CFPC was releasing their poll last night so I didn't hear about it until I started listening to Husker talk radio this morning. Looking over the Top 25 I actually think they did a really good job. Of course 3 SEC teams in the top 4 is a nice laugh but I understand their reasoning and know that their remaining schedules (and the losses therein) will have everything shake out better for other conferences.

Really satisfied with where they put Notre Dame (lol nice schedule) and LSU. I would probably swap OU and LSU personally but I think their ranking is fair. The Ohio State & Nebraska positions were two I was really interested to see and I'm happy with where those two teams fell. I don't think either deserves to be higher than where they are and Nebraska, given that their loss looks considerably better, should have been the higher of the two teams for now. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the first poll.

AntoneM

Yeah the Big 12. From a division standpoint, the SEC W of course is the strongest division, which is somewhat closely followed by the Pac12 South. From a conference standpoint, the Big 12 is the second strongest top to bottom. Half of the conference is ranked in the AP top 20 and everyone plays everyone. Kansas is a joke, but so is Colorado in the Pac and Vandy in the SEC.

Colorado vs Kansas
Washington State vs Iowa State
Oregon State vs Texas Tech
California vs Texas
Washington vs Oklahoma

Stanford
USC

UCLA vs Oklahoma State
Utah vs West Virginia
Arizona State vs Baylor
Arizona vs Kansas State
Oregon vs TCU

I think I'd pick more Pac 12 teams to win those games. (Pac 12 worst 5 versus Big 12 worst 5 and Pac 12 best five versus Big 12 best 5)

--Edit--
switch Oklahoma and Oklahoma State if you like.

One thing I really like about the current system is that it at least appears like two losses means you're done, save extenuating circumstances like being the champion of the best conference. That's just like the old days and how it should be, imo.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
...so which one is, Big 12? Definitely isn't Big 10 or ACC, that's for sure

Whether you put the Big XII or the PAC-12 in the #2 slot, I think they're at least close enough to each other to not be able to say that the PAC is the 2nd best conference "easily."

True, and I think that Texas being down hurts perception of the conference.

Texas being down hurts, but Texas being down at the same time that OU is down is the real killer.

Jhriad

Fuck that jazz. I'll cheer for every B1G team every year. The constant, "B1G sucks!" mantra hurts us all especially those teams that aren't sexy nationally (I'm looking at you Michigan State & Wisconsin). Until we can raise the level of play throughout the league we'll remain of little consequence throughout the regular season. Maybe I'm just used to being in a conference that wasn't regarded as on par with the ACC so I have a reason to expect more but I doubt that's it.

andycapps

Fuck that jazz. I'll cheer for every B1G team every year. The constant, "B1G sucks!" mantra hurts us all especially those teams that aren't sexy nationally (I'm looking at you Michigan State & Wisconsin). Until we can raise the level of play throughout the league we'll remain of little consequence throughout the regular season. Maybe I'm just used to being in a conference that wasn't regarded as on par with the ACC so I have a reason to expect more but I doubt that's it.

B1G B1G B1G

It's possible to enjoy wins over a rival while still recognizing that them being down is bad for the conference.

I want to laugh at OStU if Illinois found some way to win on Saturday. But I can't because it hurts MSU's SOS. That's not fun for fans of chaos.

You're just peeved because you know once UM returns it will mean the end of your cute little run in the sun. OSU fans don't have that concern.

Won't take the bait on this one, Neo, but I am looking forward to Michigan's inevitable return as the Big Ten's most popular 9-3 team.

If you want to cheer for other Big Ten teams against other conference opponents, that's cool. But when conference play starts I like to watch a feel-good Northwestern team make a run at it. Or Minnesota this season, it's gotta be tough convincing kids to come to the frozen tundra of Minneapolis to play football but Jerry Kill has built a pretty good team up there.

You're acting like I want Michigan to beat us again. I just want Michigan to be good enough that we gain something other than bragging rights when we beat them.

Our period of dominance over U-M began several years before yours did. Perhaps you'll feel differently in a few years if Michigan is still this awful.

I don't disagree, but we're basically being forced into it, thanks to the self-fulfilling prophecy of SEC dominance.

Limedust

Fuck that jazz. I'll cheer for every B1G team every year.

jim-carrey-puking-o.gif

inm8num2

The best thing for the B1G is for other teams to get better. What hurts the conference is how its reputation or perceived quality hinges more on the success of two teams than it does the rest.

You're acting like I want Michigan to beat us again. I just want Michigan to be good enough that we gain something other than bragging rights when we beat them.

Our period of dominance over U-M began several years before yours did. Perhaps you'll feel differently in a few years if Michigan is still this awful.

I'll get my kicks beating U-M any way I can get it, now & forever. To me the bragging rights come by beating the best, whether it happens to be Ohio State or Purdue. The name matters not to me. Teams like Gata, Texas and Michigan have shown the name is not enough.

But I'm a Spartan fan, we hate everything all the time.

I don't disagree, but we're basically being forced into it, thanks to the self-fulfilling prophecy of SEC dominance.

THANKS, ESPN.

Pulling for Michigan to get better is the wrong path. Pull for everyone else to get better so that a better Michigan isn't even necessary, and then continue to roll over them 43-6 every year. It's a win-win.

See: SEC with down Tennessee and Florida programs. Nobody cares, and the conference is still alright.

Jhriad

If you want to cheer for other Big Ten teams against other conference opponents, that's cool. But when conference play starts I like to watch a feel-good Northwestern team make a run at it. Or Minnesota this season, it's gotta be tough convincing kids to come to the frozen tundra of Minneapolis to play football but Jerry Kill has built a pretty good team up there.

I picked Minnesota to win the division this year so I'm right there with you. I'm not cheering for the B1G in every conference game necessarily (though I do want them to perform as well as they can) but more so against non-con opponents. You'd like your potential opponents to be as high quality as possible especially given how the playoff committee appears to be weighing SoS pretty heavily.

JCX

Pulling for Michigan to get better is the wrong path. Pull for everyone else to get better so that a better Michigan isn't even necessary, and then continue to roll over them 43-6 every year. It's a win-win.

Yep I always am confused when people say you need Michigan/Texas/Florida to be good, since the on-field results should matter more than the jerseys.

Also kind of depressing to see all my UofM friends/family just giving up entirely. They wouldn't even talk any shit, made last week less fun.

I do cheer for Northwestern sometimes because a relative used to play for them, but otherwise I want MSU to win every conference game.

andycapps

See: SEC with down Tennessee and Florida programs. Nobody cares, and the conference is still alright.

The conference as a whole is okay, but the SEC East is not thought of very well right now due to both teams being so down.

Yep I always am confused when people say you need Michigan/Texas/Florida to be good, since the on-field results should matter more than the jerseys.

Yes, exactly! If Michigan wants to make it easier for my team to take them to pound town I'm not going to get upset about it. Another B1G team can fill the competitive void they leave behind.

Also kind of depressing to see all my UofM friends/family just giving up entirely. They wouldn't even talk any shit, made last week less fun.

This is a new low, it'll take some time for their fanbase to adjust to reality after all those years in the matrix.

Talon

I have to say that the Michigan State fans were the biggest boorish jerks of any of the fanbases that came to Northwestern.

Ohio State was whatever. Michigan was fine. Penn State was fine.

Michigan State fans were talking shit consistently for God knows what reason.

Piggus

So I have looked at the rest of the season, and made my decision: a one loss ND gets in ahead of a one loss Oregon.

Well thank the sweet sugar-encrusted baby Jesus that you have no say in the matter and that ND won't even come close to getting in over us if we win out.

andycapps

South Carolina dropping down after they beat us early further damaged the east as well.

Yeah, that's just inexplicable. I know we've gotten better since then, but I have to wonder at some point if Spurrier's just tanking things because he knows it hurts our SOS and they don't have a chance.

Read an interview with him this morning and he seems pretty exasperated at what's going on. Sounds like he's given up on ways to improve the team at this point.

Draxal

I have to say that the Michigan State fans were the biggest boorish jerks of any of the fanbases that came to Northwestern.

Get ready for ...

spark+nj+dmap.jpg

Anyway, so far Michigan fans were more uptight than the PSU fans, but both were pleasant.

Wisconsin fans can be pretty bad.

JCX

I only really had bad experiences with tOSU fans, and even then they weren't that bad. ND fans are frustratingly polite.

I only really had bad experiences with tOSU fans, and even then they weren't that bad. ND fans are frustratingly polite.

I'm sorry to hear that, since Michigan State is really the only other B1G school for which I have any ounce of genuine affection.

I heard their student section is particularly brutal at home games (for other sports besides footballa s well).

Wisconsin students are pretty much all high-functioning alcoholics.

They're not the worst fans in the conference, but they're undoubtedly the drunkest.

Dat new money

Draxal

So are Penn State fans total fucking belligerent assholes to us exclusively or something?

Because they are total fucking belligerent assholes to us.

There were some young kids who were assholes, but that's not exclusive to PSU. They also brought an older crowd to the game, South Jersey is pretty much PSU country (well Eagle country but New Jersey has this weird duo identity based off Philly and NYC that's kinda hard to explain).

Dsyndrome

I got rushed at by a drunk MSU girl in East Lansing back when we beat them with Arnaz Battle in 2002. She ended up falling into my arms while her friends looked at my Grandparents and me with disdain. Had fun partying there later in the night though, when they had no idea I was from ND.

xeris

GAF Pick'em Week 10 Games

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by 7
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Maryland @ Penn State by 7
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 10
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 7
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 4
Texas @ Texas Tech by 10
Arizona @ UCLA by 7
Utah @ Arizona State by 4

huh?
anyway even aside fom that, you do realize not only is the Pac 12 considered the 2nd best conference easily (after the SEC), but that ESPN also loves Oregon, right?

also Pimpwerx making bad posts is not exclusive to NBA discussions, I see

Arizona were unranked when the defeated Oregon at Oregon. Oregon were ranked two or three. It was an upset loss however you look at it.

Well thank the sweet sugar-encrusted baby Jesus that you have no say in the matter and that ND won't even come close to getting in over us if we win out.

We will see. Ill happily be proven wrong if we get there.

I hope Oregon win this week as I have a few bets involving them. However, Oregon have their bogey team this week and then have to go to Utah, then the championship game if they get through that. There is still a long way to go until Oregon get through this season with one loss.

Schmitty

It would take people showing up to the game though...

hahaha burn. if there's one thing fans will show up for, it will be to get rid of their AD

GAF Pick'em Week 10 Games

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by 14
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 10 shit on pitt
Northwestern @ Iowa by9
Maryland @ Penn State by 10 time to break the 3 game losing streak
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by14
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 9
Stanford @ Oregon by 21
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 10
Texas @ Texas Tech by 6
Arizona @ UCLA by 4