• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 10: The Florida Georgia Line

Piggus

Who actually said that seriously?

Suckas who be hella cray.

8eEKUan.jpg

6ARVdvg.jpg

JCX

That's not true. Miss St. went from unranked to #1 in record time. The way to accomplish this is to be in a perceived loaded conference so if you do win your game, you'll be vaulted towards the top. Don't get me wrong, Miss. St had 3 big wins in a row ( well, in retrospect it was 2 but that doesn't matter now apparently ) to shoot to the top. The problem is the fact the teams they beat didn't drop proportionately because of their perceived strength.

lol I saw this pointed out on another board. If LSU was ranked #1 and the rest of the playoff spots were bumped down 1.

1. LSU
2. Miss St.
3. FSU
4. Auburn
5. Ole Miss

While I agree with the sentiment - polls are stupid - I call bullshit on the result. Auburn went from like 23 to the national title.

Both of your examples are SEC teams. If you play in a conference where more teams are ranked early on, you have more chances for ranked wins that will help you rise faster in the polls, even if the ranked teams you beat end up imploding down the line.

What I'm arguing is that it would be easier for an unranked Tennessee to get to #1 than an unranked Indiana.

Obviously not all power conferences are equal in strength, but there have been enough times when a pre-season ranked team turns out to be a bust.

It also ties the playoff committees hands when a bunch of teams are already perceived to be very good due to the earlier rankings.

I don't think it would fix the problem, but it could certainly help.

8eEKUan.jpg

6ARVdvg.jpg

Nice screen cap, hoss, but I suggest rewinding the conversation a bit further. That line of hypothetical thought was inspired by a decidedly different claim about TV ratings.

That said, I'm surprised at the lack of credit Notre Dame is getting, deserved or undeserved. That loss against Florida State on the road has some controversy around it. If Florida State is #2, I don't know why Notre Dame is 10, I really don't. I'm surprised the committee currently sees them that way. And, yes, I thought Notre Dame would get more credit than any other school in the same position.

Enfinit

GAF Pick'em Week 10 Games

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by 7
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Maryland @ Penn State by 4
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 10
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 7
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 7
Texas @ Texas Tech by 10
Arizona @ UCLA by 6
Utah @ Arizona State by 4

LOOOOL at people who thought ND would get in ahead of us "because of TV ratingz."

Hate to sound like a dickhole but I told you so.

Double-LOL at thinking 11-2 Ole Miss gets in over 12-1 Oregon. In what weird fantasy world does that happen? If we win out, we're in. That's just the reality occurring here on earth.

8eEKUan.jpg

6ARVdvg.jpg

Lol, I think youll find that I said if FSU go unbeaten, and ND win the rest of the season, they would be in the playoff ahead of the Ducks if they win the Pac-12 championship. I still stand by that, but you wont be able to screen cap me until the end of the season....

I also dont agree with your sentiment that "If we win out, we're in". Discounting my thoughts on ND, TCU and Kansas State will be pushing Oregon for the fourth spot if either of them win out. They both have more ranked opponents left on their schedule than Oregon. I think Alabama will jump Oregon if they win out from here as well. So that is potentially four opponents leapfrogging Oregon in the playoff equation, even if they win out from here.

I am surprised that ND is so far behind FSU rank though, given they almost beat them. I expect a lot of public outcry regarding this and they will be higher in the next playoff ranking if they dont lose no doubt.

And Im not cray or upset by the rankings at all - I have only slight allegience to Ole Miss, and even that is not really based on anything other than I like their colours.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Here's another story to add to the heap about how unpredictable recruiting can be: 4 star WR Carlos Strickland was in Lubbock on an official visit to see Tech lose to West Virginia, then he was on an official visit to TCU this past weekend to see Tech lose a game 82-27, then today he decides to commit to the Red Raiders. Before his visits started, he had named a top 2 of UCLA and TCU.

::edit::
Apparently he didn't actually make the TCU trip. General point still stands, though.

Wins and losses often don't matter as much in recruiting as the fans think they do.

GAF Pick'em Week 10 Games

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by 4
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Maryland @ Penn State by 4
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 4
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 4
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 4
Texas @ Texas Tech by 4
Arizona @ UCLA by 4
Utah @ Arizona State by 4

Here's another story to add to the heap about how unpredictable recruiting can be: 4 star WR Carlos Strickland was in Lubbock on an official visit to see Tech lose to West Virginia, then he was on an official visit to TCU this past weekend to see Tech lose a game 82-27, then today he decides to commit to the Red Raiders. Before his visits started, he had named a top 2 of UCLA and TCU.

Investigate him for payments made by Tech!

Came here to post this. This is how i feel, especially the TA&M part.

They do a lot of cheerleading. Remember tOSU v Michigan in 2006? Or how SEC games would be left off game day visits (since corrected) because CBS was showing the game? They used to pump ACC and B1G like nobody's business when ABC showed mainly those games.

Draconian

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...spn-and-the-college-football-playoff-20141028

The Worldwide Cheerleader: ESPN and the College Football Playoff

Pretty good article, this may blow up into a shit storm, especially if tonight goes a certain way.

You know, this article has some good points, and then it has some convenient "let's leave this part out" kind of stuff like when he tries to talk up Clemson's performance against Florida State and doesn't mention that was the game Jameis was suspended for or that Clemson completely choked the game away. Also, let's just ignore the fact that Auburn's best win is over a one loss Kansas State team, while Notre Dame's is against who? A three loss Stanford? It's pretty obvious why Auburn is ranked higher right now.

Like I said, there's some good points, and then there's some points that are ignoring whatever doesn't support his argument. It just makes me shake my head.

Kacar

They do a lot of cheerleading. Remember tOSU v Michigan in 2006? Or how SEC games would be left off game day visits (since corrected) because CBS was showing the game? They used to pump ACC and B1G like nobody's business when ABC showed mainly those games.

Lol yea "Judgement Day 2006". Wasn't aware that they didn't go to SEC games back in the day. I agree with some points of the article but I also know that is in ESPN's financial favor for the SEC to be so highly thought of so I really don't even blame them.

There's so much season left that the rankings are kinda pointless right now, just talking points.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...spn-and-the-college-football-playoff-20141028

The Worldwide Cheerleader: ESPN and the College Football Playoff

Pretty good article, this may blow up into a shit storm, especially if tonight goes a certain way.

Yeah the SEC echo chamber, circle-jerk is still in full effect. Unfortunately I think members of the committee are being bamboozled by old tired bullshit arguments from the coaches and ADs. How about putting some 538 members on that board and not some political blowhards looking for the buffet and fame and entrenched football lame-brains?

The SEC is good, yes. They just aren't that good folks.

Piggus

Lol, I think youll find that I said if FSU go unbeaten, and ND win the rest of the season, they would be in the playoff ahead of the Ducks if they win the Pac-12 championship. I still stand by that, but you wont be able to screen cap me until the end of the season....

I also dont agree with your sentiment that "If we win out, we're in". Discounting my thoughts on ND, TCU and Kansas State will be pushing Oregon for the fourth spot if either of them win out. They both have more ranked opponents left on their schedule than Oregon. I think Alabama will jump Oregon if they win out from here as well. So that is potentially four opponents leapfrogging Oregon in the playoff equation, even if they win out from here.

I am surprised that ND is so far behind FSU rank though, given they almost beat them. I expect a lot of public outcry regarding this and they will be higher in the next playoff ranking if they dont lose no doubt.

And Im not cray or upset by the rankings at all - I have only slight allegience to Ole Miss, and even that is not really based on anything other than I like their colours.

I'm sorry, but look at who ND plays the rest of the of the season. They're not going to climb from 10 to 4 to jump us when they don't even play a conference title game. We'll see what happens with the Ducks, but I can just about 100% guarantee you that we're not going to be left out if we win the rest of our games.

I'm sorry, but look at who ND plays the rest of the of the season. They're not going to climb from 10 to 4 to jump us when they don't even play a conference title game. We'll see what happens with the Ducks, but I can just about 100% guarantee you that we're not going to be left out if we win the rest of our games.

ND have two remaining ranked opponents. Their only loss is to the currently undefeated defending national champions in the last minute. They have beaten one ranked opponent already.

Oregon play at least one, but it will be two if they make the championship game. Their only loss would be to an unranked opponent at home. They have beaten two ranked opponents already.

So even if the Ducks win the championship, their strength of schedule is not much, if at all, better than ND. I would rate ND's harder due to the travel and playing their hardest opponent on the road (FSU) compared to Oregon (Michigan St).

So I have looked at the rest of the season, and made my decision: a one loss ND gets in ahead of a one loss Oregon.

Pimpwerx

People are bitching about SEC bias, but the polls will sort themselves out. This is actually a really good ranking from 1-25. I'm impressed with the committee's first poll. I expected some wacky voting. The SEC won't have more than 2 teams in the final playoffs, and I think even that would be a long shot. Still, it's a damn good conference, and I'm glad the voters understand this. Even in down years, the SEC is better than the rest.

Those who get mad about the state of affairs only now know how fans of SEC teams felt for decades. We were constantly snubbed because running the table in the conference is incredibly difficult. Let our teams get their shine. For decades, the Big East and Big10 dominated the title scene, despite being considerably weaker conferences. Let us have our time. PEACE.

People are bitching about SEC bias, but the polls will sort themselves out. This is actually a really good ranking from 1-25. I'm impressed with the committee's first poll. I expected some wacky voting. The SEC won't have more than 2 teams in the final playoffs, and I think even that would be a long shot. Still, it's a damn good conference, and I'm glad the voters understand this. Even in down years, the SEC is better than the rest.

Those who get mad about the state of affairs only now know how fans of SEC teams felt for decades. We were constantly snubbed because running the table in the conference is incredibly difficult. Let our teams get their shine. For decades, the Big East and Big10 dominated the title scene, despite being considerably weaker conferences. Let us have our time. PEACE.

NX9Fjsu.gif

Genuinely moving stuff. How did those poor SEC schools endure such grave injustice?

jjasper

ND definitely gets in over Oregon. It's super-obvious if you aren't an Oregon fan.

It's all about the teevee.

Exactly. Which is also why I doubt there are two SEC schools in the end. The best way to maximize viewership is to have teams from every region. Their ideal playoff this year would probably be ND, FSU, Alabama, Oregon.

andycapps

Those first rankings were pretty bad, but really I don't care because things are going to sort themselves out more as some key games are played. Don't really care too much. If my team wins out, we're in. Can't complain with that.

Tamanon

Banned
ECU is having a tough time shaking the look of a party school. Our SGA president is being impeached, apparently for showing up to a meeting with a bunch of important board members drunk.

Woo!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

When did the Big East dominate the title scene?

ND have two remaining ranked opponents. Their only loss is to the currently undefeated defending national champions in the last minute. They have beaten one ranked opponent already.

Oregon play at least one, but it will be two if they make the championship game. Their only loss would be to an unranked opponent at home. They have beaten two ranked opponents already.

So even if the Ducks win the championship, their strength of schedule is not much, if at all, better than ND. I would rate ND's harder due to the travel and playing their hardest opponent on the road (FSU) compared to Oregon (Michigan St).

So I have looked at the rest of the season, and made my decision: a one loss ND gets in ahead of a one loss Oregon.

huh?
anyway even aside fom that, you do realize not only is the Pac 12 considered the 2nd best conference easily (after the SEC), but that ESPN also loves Oregon, right?

also Pimpwerx making bad posts is not exclusive to NBA discussions, I see

andycapps

Wow, 4 games. Meanwhile Mariota and Winston are still playing despite having hundreds of sequential autographs on Ebay. Nice. Guess this is what happens when you're up front about stuff instead of hiding it.

Top Bottom