• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

A chop block is when a player is already engaged by one blocker high and another cut blocks him low. It has nothing to do with recently blocked or angle of the cut block. It is a fairly simple call to make. Here are some examples to help you understand better from our morally superior friends in Athens who you would think would never do such a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq3MkoRGoyU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6L1XlSTrE

Where did I say that we've never done it? Here's an example of your team doing it and not being called for it. Thornton had to be helped off the field afterwards and missed the SECCG with Bama because of this.

http://youtu.be/QpTN1TaVK2Q

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've long wanted Cut blocks to be taken out of the game. They're supposed to be aiming above the knees, but this never happens. It's always right at the knee or below.

I'm glad Duke fans don't try to defend charge calls/flopping en masse like GT fans have to defend those dirty cheating career threatening chop blocks
Here is a key difference. Teams are actually getting called for charging when they play Duke. GT isn't getting called for chop blocks. You apparently seem to think we chop block all the time and we are getting away with it. Almost every minute of our games are online right now. Give us a few examples of obvious chop blocks that should have been called. Otherwise, quit crying about it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Here is a key difference. Teams are actually getting called for charging when they play Duke. GT isn't getting called for chop blocks. You apparently seem to think we chop block all the time and we are getting away with it. Almost every minute of our games are online right now. Give us a few examples of obvious chop blocks that should have been called. Otherwise, quit crying about it.

You sound awfully sympathetic to the legion of chop blocking evil. You've already taught some Pop Warner kids to go high and low on sweeps, haven't you.

HAVEN'T YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sound awfully sympathetic to the legion of chop blocking evil. You've already taught some Pop Warner kids to go high and low on sweeps, haven't you.

HAVEN'T YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope. I teach kids what a chop block actually is. Even they can comprehend it while Duke and UGA fans struggle with the concept.

Enron

Banned
GT chop blocks? No, never them according to their fans

As a DC? Sure, but if you can't win at UF with the available talent there, how could he win at an ACC school with less talent available? Muschamp isn't even Al Golden tier. I don't see the parallels between a coach that averages 9 wins in the nation's toughest conference vs one that can't win at an already established AAA level program.

Look at it another way, both teams playing their best, who in the ACC beats UGA? FSU is the only one I'd feel confident in. Which ACC team could beat UF in its current state?

http://i.imgur.com/6Zi72.gif

Since when did I compare Richt to Muschump or any other coach in the ACC? You said anyone in the ACC would be glad to have him. I said that's a low bar because ACC.

Nope. I teach kids what a chop block actually is. Even they can comprehend it while Duke and UGA fans struggle with the concept.

Whereas GT fans struggle with the concept of showing up for games

yellowjacket, please keep erupting at every perceived Georgia Tech slight. Perhaps we can get a few more of them today.

In the meantime, we have actual news. Jameis Winston's attorney wants to delay the FSU hearing, which is currently scheduled for a week from Monday (November 17).

"Mr. Cornwell obviously doesn't want his client to ever do this hearing," said John Clune, the accuser's attorney.

Under Florida State's student conduct rules and regulations, the university can proceed with a hearing even if Winston does not attend. Under the rules, Winston and the woman can have their attorneys advise them during the hearing, but the attorneys are not allowed to speak on their clients' behalf. Winston is not obligated to answer any questions from the independent hearing observer.

"I don't think that anyone is surprised at the attempt to delay the hearing," Clune said. "I would have been surprised if there had been no attempt, honestly."

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Chop blockers are like droids at a Mos Eisley cantina, We don't serve your kind here.

And you should be ashamed to teach kids such a dirty cheating tactic and then telling them how to lie about it.

For shame.

Since when did I compare Richt to Muschump or any other coach in the ACC? You said anyone in the ACC would be glad to have him. I said that's a low bar because ACC.

And I'm saying Muschamp would still be inadequate a head coach, even in the ACC, whereas Richt could help another team win. He steals enough players from NC that he'd be a huge hit for UNC or NCSU.

Ganhyun

yellowjacket, please keep erupting at every perceived Georgia Tech slight. Perhaps we can get a few more of them today.

When I was in high school my American and World History teacher would use the term Georgia Tech engineers when describing bad ideas and such.

Example: The army, obviously using those famous Georgia Tech engineers, built a fort on a swamp and then wondered why they had issues keeping things dry.

He managed to get digs in at Georgia Tech all the time when I was in high school.

When I was in high school my American and World History teacher would use the term Georgia Tech engineers when describing bad ideas and such.

Example: The army, obviously using those famous Georgia Tech engineers, built a fort on a swamp and then wondered why they had issues keeping things dry.

He managed to get digs in at Georgia Tech all the time when I was in high school.
Well if there is anyone who's opinion I really value on advanced engineering topics, it is a high school history teacher.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Those weren't stories, they were memories.

Georgia Tech: Cut Blocking champions of the NCAA

ulua

hi all! just (finally) got access to gaf today. long time lurker, huge college football fan, alabama alum (i know, hate me hate me) but i'm not a biased bammer like most of my schools fanbase. really looking forward so many other games BESIDES the obvious bama/lsu showdown.

anyways, my question to you guys is this: if k state pulls off the win tomorrow, where do you think they should be rightfully ranked?

hi all! just (finally) got access to gaf today. long time lurker, huge college football fan, alabama alum (i know, hate me hate me) but i'm not a biased bammer like most of my schools fanbase. really looking forward so many other games BESIDES the obvious bama/lsu showdown.

anyways, my question to you guys is this: if k state pulls the upset this week, where do you think they should be rightfully ranked?

They'll probably just take TCU's current spot (6th). K-State still would have @ WVU and @ Baylor to play so I wouldn't put them as a playoff threat as they'll more than likely lose to one of those teams. However, if they do survive that gauntlet they would deserve a spot.

ulua

there is no big 12 championship game anymore/for now though, correct? or am i getting it all wrong.

there is no big 12 championship game anymore/for now though, correct? or am i getting it all wrong.

The big 12 plays everyone so there's no need for a championship game. It will be interesting if TCU and Baylor end up with the same record though. Baylor beat TCU and would become Big 12 champions because of that, but TCU will likely remain ranked ahead of Baylor due to Baylor's shitty OOC schedule. TCU at least played a decent Minnesota team OOC, while Baylor's toughest opponent was Buffalo.

anyways, my question to you guys is this: if k state pulls off the win tomorrow, where do you think they should be rightfully ranked?

THANK GOD, last thing we need is another MRE or Lonestar

jokes

The big 12 plays everyone so there's no need for a championship game. It will be interesting if TCU and Baylor end up with the same record though. Baylor beat TCU and would become Big 12 champions because of that, but TCU will likely remain ranked ahead of Baylor due to Baylor's shitty OOC schedule. TCU at least played a decent Minnesota team OOC, while Baylor's toughest opponent was Buffalo.

Isn't the round robin format the one that frequently produces like 2-4 "champions" per year? With the "top champ" getting a big bowl or whatever due to poll ranking or other tie breaking factor like that?

KingGondo

Banned
The other conferences need to get real and play a round robin schedule.

IMO.

Baylor @ Oklahoma by 4
Iowa @ Minnesota by 7
Georgia Tech @ NC State by 7
Notre Dame @ Airzona State by 4
West Virginia @ Texas by 10
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
UCLA @ Washington by 10
Louisville @ Boston College by 4
Kansas State @ TCU by 7
Alabama @ LSU by 7
Ohio State @ Michigan State by 7
Oregon @ Utah by 14

Seems like a lot of the consensus from the local media around here is Urban knows something. Saying he's never this calm before games, echoing back to how he was during 07 title game lead up.

We shall find out in 25 hours

I wish GT fans would just be honest:

"Yeah, we know cut blocking is dangerous and can lead to many injuries but it's how our coaching staff chooses to play football. We don't have D1 talent on our o-line and so our only option is to just throw ourselves at your knees."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

"Yeah, we know cut blocking is dangerous and can lead to many injuries but it's how our coaching staff chooses to play football. We don't have D1 talent on our o-line and so our only option is to just throw ourselves at your knees."

Isn't this just how triple option teams work? Citadel destroyed us with injuries because of all the cut blocks.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Seems like a lot of the consensus from the local media around here is Urban knows something. Saying he's never this calm before games, echoing back to how he was during 07 title game lead up.

We shall find out in 25 hours
What sort of thing do osu fans think he knows?

There are a lot of perfectly legal football plays that can cause injuries. Cut blocks just happen to be one of them that are used by nearly every team at the professional and college level. If you want to petition the NCAA to outlaw blocking or tackling below the waist then go for it. I personally don't really care. While you are at it, go ahead and ask them if 2 hand touch might be a better way to play, or maybe ask if your team can start wearing skirts during the game. If getting hurt during a football game is a problem for your team then get that group of pansies on your sideline to play badminton instead and quit crying.

ulua

What sort of thing do osu fans think he knows?

im sure he definitely knows that he has to win this one to stay relevant among the 'elite coaches'. not saying that it will put him on the hot seat by losing by any means, we all know what happened to braxton and whatnot, but a loss tomorrow would be what, the 4th straight loss against a top 10 team? i know the cards havent exactly fell in his favor by losing his heisman-hopeful QB but he has yet to produce a signature win during his tenure there, which kind of negates the 24 game winning streak IMO

There are a lot of perfectly legal football plays that can cause injuries. Cut blocks just happen to be one of them that are used by nearly every team at the professional and college level. If you want to petition the NCAA to outlaw blocking or tackling below the waist then go for it. I personally don't really care. While you are at it, go ahead and ask them if 2 hand touch might be a better way to play, or maybe ask if your team can start wearing skirts during the game. If getting hurt during a football game is a problem for your team then get that group of pansies on your sideline to play badminton instead and quit crying.

Calm down, guy. It's not my fault your team is ass terrible and needs to use dirty blocking every play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom