• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baylor @ Oklahoma by 17
Iowa @ Minnesota by 1
Georgia Tech @ NC State by 7
Notre Dame @ Arizona State by 3
West Virginia @ Texas by 4
Michigan @ Northwestern by 3
UCLA @ Washington by 10
Louisville @ Boston College by 14
Kansas State @ TCU by 7
Alabama @ LSU by 2
Ohio State @ Michigan State by 21
Oregon @ Utah by 28

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Had to ruin my day, didn't you?

Imagine if you guys hadn't lucked into Meyer.

That is the problem. Are coaching decisions really much more than luck? Who could say that Muschamp would have a complete inability to coach anything but defense? Who could say that Jimbo could turn into a pretty good gameday coach? Or that Les Miles would have weird voodoo powers to inexplicably win games?

Enron

Banned
All this can be summed up with, remember when Tennessee fired Fulmer? Aka the best coach they've ever had (other than Neyland)? They've been on a spiral that they can't seem to get out of with Kiffin, Dooley the younger, and now Jones.

Sounds like he's the Tony Romo of college football head coaches. Fans are getting sick of him and saying he'll never win anything but are failing to look around a bit and realize how good they really have it.

Be happy with your Tony Romo, Georgia fans; You could have a Geno Smith instead.

So "Accept mediocrity: Because the the alternative might be worse"?

No thanks. What an awful line of thinking.

UGA can do better. UGA should try to do better.

Sulik2

We are never winning shit so long as Mark Richt is in charge of things in Athens. He's had his chances. The only time we were even able to win a conference was when all of the big powers were down.

During Richt's tenure, Gene Chizik waltzed into Auburn and won a national title. Gus Malzahn waltzed into Auburn and immediately won an SEC title. Nick Saban restored Alabama into a title machine. Meanwhile UGA continues to rack up 8 and 9 win seasons, and trips to bowl games nobody cares about.

I'm sick of it.

As a Michigan fan who said the same thing about Lloyd Carr... Be careful what you wish for.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
So "Accept mediocrity: Because the the alternative might be worse"?

No thanks. What an awful line of thinking.

UGA can do better. UGA should try to do better.

It's less about "accept mediocrity" and more about "this guy isn't as mediocre as you think he is."

"If he's not Nick Saban we should get rid of him" isn't really the greatest of strategies, either.

He's averaged about 9.7 total wins a year and wins the division about 40% of the time over a 13 season span. You're ranked #20, are tied for the lead in your division right now, and will be favored in 3 of your 4 remaining games, meaning a 9 win season before a bowl and a top 20 ranking is still your EXPECTED outcome. That's a pretty good coach.

It's less about "accept mediocrity" and more about "this guy isn't as mediocre as you think he is."

"If he's not Nick Saban we should get rid of him" isn't the greatest strategy, either.
Up until this year I heard a lot of this from stupid Notre dame fans who thought Brian Kelly was "small time" and that we should constantly pursue Nick Saban. Clearly Kelly is a pretty good coach and he's been successful as a head coach everywhere he's been.

jjasper

All this can be summed up with, remember when Tennessee fired Fulmer? Aka the best coach they've ever had (other than Neyland)? They've been on a spiral that they can't seem to get out of with Kiffin, Dooley the younger, and now Jones.

Not really sure that is a good reason. We had a pretty incompetent AD. Lets look at the ways:

1. Fulmer was on the decline but shouldn't have been fired that year from a long term strategic perspective for a number of reasons. First we had a new OC that needed a completely new personnel from QB through OL no one we had fit the system and it was gonna take at least a recruiting class or 2 to start getting bodies in there and it seemed they were recruiting well so he should have gotten another year or 2 to see what happened. Also there was no up and coming coach or an established coach looking to make a move. Look at the other hires from big schools that year Clemson hired Dabo and Auburn hired Chizik cause there was no one to hire.

2. After Kiffin bolted there was no plan. He panicked. He went out and hired someone with a losing record at Louisiana Tech. This is with Sumlin and Charlie Strong begging for the job. Dooley was 17-20 as a head coach and had really just been a position coach before that. Sumlin was 18-9 as a head coach and has been an OC at Oklahoma. Strong had been a DC for years on national championship teams. I don't really understand how you come to the conclusion to hire Dooley. It would have been smarter to just say fuck it rolled with Jim Chaney as HC for a year and actually have a coaching search like Jeff Long (a smart AD) did after Petrino's wreck.

I do think part of 1 applies here for UGA though. There really isn't a coach making noise in lower ranks that could make the jump. Maybe the East Carolina coach but other than that. I think timing is more important that people realize in coach changes. Who else is looking plus who is out there are important things fans don't really think about but most ADs not named Mike Hamilton do.

Paches

Dave Softy Mahler @Softykjr · 26m 26 minutes ago
Per Source, UW CB Marcus Peters has been kicked off the team.

Dave Softy Mahler @Softykjr · 23m 23 minutes ago
According to sources, Peters was kicked off team for conduct issues. Blew up on coaches during CU game and had another incident at practice

Fantastic.

Lunar15

Wanting to fire Richt is a weird sentiment. Georgia has been in the national spotlight most of the years he's there. National Championships are not the end-all be-all metric of a good coach. Spurrier is well loved at Florida not just because he took us to our first National Championship, but also because he took a relatively obscure Florida team and elevated it to elite status for multiple years.

You could tell that Spurrier's relationship with Florida went sour after winning the National Championship. Once you win one, fans expect nothing less. Spurrier went from being a hero for winning 8 games a season to a "failure" for winning 8 games a season just because we didn't win consecutive National Championships. Same thing happened with Meyer. Spurrier probably went to South Carolina because there were literally no expectations. He took a team out of probation and into the national spotlight, and all of a sudden he's a hero again without having to win a trophy at the end of the year.

It's tough because I'm guilty of the same discontent as well. I'll admit getting upset with Meyer's offense in the year following his second championship win, despite the fact that we went undefeated in the regular season. Same kind of goes for Muschamp's 11-2 season, although concerns that season definitely proved to be true in the next.

Long story short, having a bowlless season is a sobering experience. You don't really know mediocrity until it's staring you in the face. Humility, thy name is Georgia Southern.

Enron

Banned
He's averaged about 9.7 total wins a year and wins the division about 40% of the time over a 13 season span. You're ranked #20, are tied for the lead in your division right now, and will be favored in 3 of your 4 remaining games, meaning a 9 win season before a bowl and a top 20 ranking is still your EXPECTED outcome. That's a pretty good coach.

Until you dig further.

UGA consistently recruits like a top-5 program, puts shitloads of talent into the NFL, and yet can never seem to get over the hump.

Our record vs ranked teams since 2008 is pretty shitty, and against top 10 teams even worse.

12-21 vs ranked opponents since 2008.

4-13 vs opponents ranked in the top 10 since 2008.

And in that time, have only sniffed a decent postseason game twice. 2 Capital One bowl appearances, both wins.

9 wins a season doesn't mean a damn thing to me if year after year you get punked by anyone decent on your schedule and you end up bowling in Nashville or Tampa. Or Shreveport. Congratulations. You can rack up 9 wins a season against the Vandys and the Kentuckys of the world. Whoopdeedoo.

‏@nickbaumgardner 26m26 minutes ago
Twitter's something, folks ... Michigan's AD just followed Jim Harbaugh, Les Miles, Bob Stitt and Dana Holgorsen.

Draxal

Colorado School of Mines?

Coach Stitt became known to people outside the CSM community, when Dana Holgorsen, the head coach at West Virginia University, gave him credit for the fly sweep play his Mountaineers team utilized to great success in the 2012 Orange Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Stitt

Sotha_Sil

Les Miles may be a Michigan man, but I think he likes being a Michigan man.... from afar. Still can't believe Herbstreit tried to sell the story that Miles was leaving LSU for Michigan days before the championship game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Until you dig further.

UGA consistently recruits like a top-5 program, puts shitloads of talent into the NFL, and yet can never seem to get over the hump.

Our record vs ranked teams since 2008 is pretty shitty, and against top 10 teams even worse.

12-21 vs ranked opponents since 2008.

4-13 vs opponents ranked in the top 10 since 2008.

And in that time, have only sniffed a decent postseason game twice. 2 Capital One bowl appearances, both wins.

9 wins a season doesn't mean a damn thing to me if year after year you get punked by anyone decent on your schedule and you end up bowling in Nashville or Tampa. Or Shreveport. Congratulations. You can rack up 9 wins a season against the Vandys and the Kentuckys of the world. Whoopdeedoo.

Sounds kind of like A&M fans right before they got rid of RC Slocum. Ask them how Dennis Franchione and Mike Sherman worked out for the next 9 seasons.

KingGondo

Banned
Sounds kind of like A&M fans right before they got rid of RC Slocum. Ask them how Dennis Franchione and Mike Sherman worked out for the next 9 seasons.
Or Kevin Sumlin for that matter. His actual record has been underwhelming considering his reputation.

andycapps

"If he's not Nick Saban we should get rid of him" isn't really the greatest of strategies, either.

Exactly, and beating Auburn at home is a possibility. There's still a decent chance we win the division this year, Mizzou probably has a loss or two in them. This is all way too early to discuss right now.

Les Miles might be at Michigan right now if Herbstreit hadn't leaked that Michigan was talking to him. As soon as that came out, LSU made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Sotha_Sil

Now that's what I call an even matchup.

B1sdEdRCEAAc_M5.jpg

Except that Michigan St has played two ranked teams, Ohio St hasn't played any. It should be a good game though, the one last year was great.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Or Kevin Sumlin for that matter. His actual record has been underwhelming considering his reputation.

I almost included him as well, but his first two seasons were what they were, no matter how much of their success people may think should be attributed to Manziel instead of Sumlin.

KingGondo

Banned
I almost included him as well, but his first two seasons were what they were, no matter how much of their success people may think should be attributed to Manziel instead of Sumlin.
They were good, but they still never even won their own division.

They finished 2nd in 2012 and 4th in 2013. It'll be really hard for them to overcome their division in the future, even with the recruiting base in Texas. They're pretty far away from competing right now.

jjasper

Exactly, and beating Auburn at home is a possibility. There's still a decent chance we win the division this year, Mizzou probably has a loss or two in them. This is all way too early to discuss right now.

Mizzou 4-1
@ Texas A&M
@ Tennessee
vs Arkansas

UGA 4-2
@ Kentucky
vs Auburn

UF: 3-3
@ Vanderbilt
vs South Carolina

If I was betting I would probably say all 3 end up 5-3

andycapps

Mizzou 4-1
@ Texas A&M
@ Tennessee
vs Arkansas

UGA 4-2
@ Kentucky
vs Auburn

UF: 3-3
@ Vanderbilt
vs South Carolina

If I was betting I would probably say all 3 end up 5-3

You think Florida beats Sakerlina in the road? They're really bad this year, but that still seems like a toss-up to me. 5-3 is pretty realistic for UGA and Mizzou.

xeris

OK, I'm probably dense and don't understand how the scoring works, but I'm not sure how

GAF Pick'em Week 10 Games

(THU) Florida State @ Louisville by 7
Duke @ Pittsburgh by 4
Northwestern @ Iowa by 4
Maryland @ Penn State by 7
NC State @ Syracuse by 4
TCU @ West Virginia by 10
Auburn @ Ole Miss by 4
Stanford @ Oregon by 7
Tennessee @ South Carolina by 4
Texas @ Texas Tech by 10
Arizona @ UCLA by 7
Utah @ Arizona State by 4

got me 0 points. Especially since I had Auburn dead on.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
OK, I'm probably dense and don't understand how the scoring works, but I'm not sure how

got me 0 points. Especially since I had Auburn dead on.
Complaint invalid because you didn't discuss how Yahoo! would never let such a travesty occur.

It's time now for the picks!

Baylor @ Oklahoma by 7
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Georgia Tech @ NC State by 4
Notre Dame @ Arizona State by 6
West Virginia @ Texas by 17
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
UCLA @ Washington by 6
Kansas State @ TCU by 14
Alabama @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Michigan State by 14
Oregon @ Utah by 13

andycapps

Baylor @ Oklahoma by 4
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Georgia Tech @ NC State by 4
Notre Dame @ Arizona State by 10
West Virginia @ Texas by 4
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
UCLA @ Washington by 4
Louisville @ Boston College by 4
Kansas State @ TCU by 12
Alabama @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Michigan State by 6
Oregon @ Utah by 12

AntoneM

GAF Pick'em Week 11 Games

Baylor @ Oklahoma by 4
Iowa @ Minnesota by 6
Georgia Tech @ NC State by 6
Notre Dame @ Arizona State by 6
West Virginia @ Texas by 6
Michigan @ Northwestern by 11
UCLA @ Washington by 4
Louisville @ Boston College by 6
Kansas State @ TCU by 6
Alabama @ LSU by 11
Ohio State @ Michigan State by 4
Oregon @ Utah by 11

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
We are never winning shit so long as Mark Richt is in charge of things in Athens. He's had his chances. The only time we were even able to win a conference was when all of the big powers were down.

During Richt's tenure, Gene Chizik waltzed into Auburn and won a national title. Gus Malzahn waltzed into Auburn and immediately won an SEC title. Nick Saban restored Alabama into a title machine. Meanwhile UGA continues to rack up 8 and 9 win seasons, and trips to bowl games nobody cares about.

I'm sick of it.

Every ACC team would KILL for Mark Richt save for FSU and maybe Clemson. You could be singing this real quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

Baylor @ Oklahoma by 3
Iowa @ Minnesota by 3
Georgia Tech @ NC State by 7
Notre Dame @ Arizona State by 14
West Virginia @ Texas by 10
Michigan @ Northwestern by 13
UCLA @ Washington by 10
Kansas State @ TCU by 20
Alabama @ LSU by 1
Ohio State @ Michigan State by 7
Oregon @ Utah by 6

So I was just thinking, we are almost 2/3rds of the way through the season so its time to start thinking about bowl eligibility!

ACC 7 teams already eligible, 10 auto bids*. NCState has 5 wins, 4 other teams have 4 wins.

Big 12 5 teams already eligible, 7 auto bids*. Ok. State has 5 wins, Texas has 4.

B1G 7 teams already eligible, 9 auto bids*. Rutgers has 5 wins, Illinois, Michigan and Pedo State have 4. Pedo State has only 4 losses while Michigan and Illinois have 5.

Pac-12 6 teams already eligible, 7 auto bids*. UW has 6 wins but 1 win apparently doesn't count, Stanford and Cal both have 5 wins, Oregon State has 4. Wazzu and Colorado are the only power 5 teams who are already eliminated from bowl contention.

SEC 8 teams already eligible, 9* auto bids. Kentucky has 5 wins, Florida has 4 wins, SCAR, Tennessee and Arky also have 4 wins but 5 losses already.

* = Wikipedia counts the possible bowl a team selected to the playoff would be in. So 1 (or more if the SEC gets 2 teams) of these conferences will be short 1 bowl game.

cdyhybrid

So I was just thinking, we are almost 2/3rds of the way through the season so its time to start thinking about bowl eligibility!

ACC 7 teams already eligible, 10 auto bids*. NCState has 5 wins, 4 other teams have 4 wins.

Big 12 5 teams already eligible, 7 auto bids*. Ok. State has 5 wins, Texas has 4.

B1G 7 teams already eligible, 9 auto bids*. Rutgers has 5 wins, Illinois and Pedo State have 4.

Pac-12 6 teams already eligible, 7 auto bids*. UW has 6 wins but 1 win apparently doesn't count, Stanford and Cal both have 5 wins, Oregon State has 4. Wazzu and Colorado are the only power 5 teams who are already eliminated from bowl contention.

SEC 8 teams already eligible, 9* auto bids. Kentucky has 5 wins, Florida has 4 wins, SCAR, Tennessee and Arky also have 4 wins but 5 losses already.

* = Wikipedia counts the possible bowl a team selected to the playoff would be in. So 1 (or more if the SEC gets 2 teams) of these conferences will be short 1 bowl game.

We played Hawaii so we have to get to 7-6.

ag-my001

They were good, but they still never even won their own division.

They finished 2nd in 2012 and 4th in 2013. It'll be really hard for them to overcome their division in the future, even with the recruiting base in Texas. They're pretty far away from competing right now.
Sumlin is still A-ok for me. Even with this down year, he'll still average 9 wins a year (admittedly, with bowls). I've come back to earth: first year starting QB, lots of new personnel (especially on defense), and playing in arguably the toughest division in college football. The South Carolina game just skewed expectations. I would be thrilled with an 8 or 9 win average, hoping for that one season when it all comes together, including the type of luck Auburn got last year. Fran and Sherman displayed consistent mediocrity; Sumlin still has the benefit of the doubt.

And if you want to try and speculate, here are the records of the teams on the fringe and their remaining schedules:

ACC
NC State 5-4 (@Syracuse, G Tech, Wake Forest, @UNC)
UNC 4-5 (Pitt, @Duke, NC State)
Virginia 4-5 (@FSU, Miami, @VTech)
Pittsburgh 4-5 (@UNC, Syracuse, @Miami)
Va Tech 4-5 (@Duke, @WF, Virginia)

Big 12
Ok. State 5-4 (Texas, @Baylor, @Oklahoma)
Texas 4-5 (WVU, @Ok State, TCU)

B1G
Rutgers 5-4 (Indiana, @ MSU, @Maryland)
Pedo State 4-4 (@Indiana, Temple, @Illinois, MSU)
Michigan 4-5 (@NW, Maryland, @tOSU)
Illinois 4-5 (Iowa, Pedo State, @NW)

Pac 12
UW 6-3 (UCLA, @Zona, OSU, @Wazzu)
Stanford 5-4 (Utah, @Cal, @UCLA)
Cal 5-4 (@USC, Stanford, BYU)
Oregon State 4-4 (Wazzu, ASU, @UW, Oregon)

SEC
Florida 4-3 (@Vandy, SCAR, E Kentucky, @FSU)
Kentucky 5-4 (Georgia, @Tennessee, @Louisville)
SCAR 4-5 (@Florida, South Alabama, @Clempson)
Tennessee 4-5 (Kentucky, Missouri, @Vandy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom