• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Nebraska ranked higher than 15th? Guess I better prep for the loss. Everyone should take Wisconsin over Nebraska by 3+ scores in two weeks.

AntoneM

Baylor @ Oklahoma by 6
Iowa @ Minnesota by 4
Georgia Tech @ NC State by 4
Notre Dame @ Zona State by 4
West Virginia @ Texas by 4
Michigan @ Northwestern by 4
UCLA @ Washington by 4
Louisville @ Boston College by 4
Kansas State @ TCU by 14
Alabama @ LSU by 6 LOCK OF THE WEEK
Ohio State @ Michigan State by 4
Oregon @ Utah by 10

You son of a bitch!

Nah, can't mad when we're top 10!

Jhriad

Well, it is a road game. Though being in Miami, that doesn't count for much.

Yeah, I'm sure Florida State fans will have a real hard time finding tickets with how adamant Miami fans are about holding onto their tickets. In all seriousness I hope Miami wins but I really doubt that'll happen.

gotta give the committee credit for having Oregon>Alabama unlike the polls (ironically ESPN actually has Oregon and TCU ahead of Bama in their power ranking thing)

gotta give the committee credit for having Oregon>Alabama unlike the polls (ironically ESPN actually has Oregon and TCU ahead of Bama in their power ranking thing)

And yet it's one of those things that doesn't matter. Alabama has Auburn and Mississippi State on their schedule. They win those games, they're in the top 4 and they'll vault Oregon (who would still be in the top 4). They lose either of those games, they're done, barring calamity elsewhere.

Draxal

And yet it's one of those things that doesn't matter. Alabama has Auburn and Mississippi State on their schedule. They win those games, they're in the top 4 and they'll vault Oregon (who would still be in the top 4). They lose either of those games, they're done, barring calamity elsewhere.

Exactly, the playoffs have all the Sec teams up there, because they don't want to have one shoot up on them at the end. They think they're all good, but they really don't know which one is the really good one, the weaker ones will fall back to the pack like Ole Miss did.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Liking those rankings, but still can't fathom how we are ranked higher than Ohio State...

Sure, our defense is pretty good, but our offense is INSANELY one-dimensional and our best player (sure, a top 5 player in the league, but still) is not going to be 100% for the next game and possibly not for a very long time...

If we win out, we deserve a playoff spot, even if we only lose one more the rest of the year, it would be a miracle...

an when Oregon lose to Utah this week and ASU fall to ND, there wont be a Top 10 Pac-12 team......

Piggus

ND is a good pick. Picking Utah is cray, breh. We had no trouble with them last year with an injured Mariota and considering how we shredded Stanford's defense I doubt we'll have any this year either.

Kevtones

Oregon has Mariota. If they win out and he plays like 7/10 Mariota (he played 5/10 Mariota this week and won P12 potw) - he'll win the Heisman.

Oregon is in with one-loss/heisman regardless of TCU etc.

Also, Cal is a weak undergrad institution.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oregon has Mariota. If they win out and he plays like 7/10 Mariota (he played 5/10 Mariota this week and won P12 potw) - he'll win the Heisman.

Oregon is in with one-loss/heisman regardless of TCU etc.

Also, Cal is a weak undergrad institution.
Oregon casting academic shade? What's next, fashion advice?

Jhriad

Liking those rankings, but still can't fathom how we are ranked higher than Ohio State...

Ohio State doesn't have a quality win against anyone worth a crap and their loss looks worse by the week. I'm surprised they're ranked as high as they are with their schedule so far.

Didn't Abdullah disappear against MSU and get hurt last week?

Sorta like Gordon disappeared against Western Illinois then? I wonder who has a more stout defense, Michigan State or Western Illinois? Abdullah went out with a minor sprain early in the first quarter but he'll be back for the next game. Just think it's asinine to drop a guy entirely if you had been giving him a vote when he goes out with an injury especially when even with that missed game he still has more all-purpose yardage than the other two players they're listing at his position. Gordon is a good running back but he isn't a complete back. At least Duke Johnson can actually catch the ball out of the backfield.

That's not to say I think Abdullah ever had a chance regardless of the injury since it's pretty much Mariota's to lose.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hate him along with the rest of GAF, but hey heard Colin on his show earlier today during lunch. He literally was saying network execs were messaging him since he wasn't on the we need 2 SEC teams in the 4 team playoff bandwagon.

It's so bad how much ESPN hire ups have hitched their wagon to the SEC doing well for the sake of the money.

andycapps

If anybody (Ganhyun, Enron, or anyone else) is interested in a breakdown in the shitshow that was the Georgia defense this last week, look here. Basically, poor job of DL and OLB's handling their gaps properly led to what happened Saturday. There is no way that they were coached to do what they did, but it feeds back into what two defensive players said this week.. they underestimated Florida. Basically, they thought that because they'd won 3 in a row over Florida and were playing well as a defense that they could win on talent alone instead of relying on their technique and coaching. That's frustrating.

Tamanon

Banned
I hate him along with the rest of GAF, but hey heard Colin on his show earlier today during lunch. He literally was saying network execs were messaging him since he wasn't on the we need 2 SEC teams in the 4 team playoff bandwagon.

It's so bad how much ESPN hire ups have hitched their wagon to the SEC doing well for the sake of the money.

Sounds like something he would get suspended for if he's talking about that.

Yeah, I'm sure Florida State fans will have a real hard time finding tickets with how adamant Miami fans are about holding onto their tickets. In all seriousness I hope Miami wins but I really doubt that'll happen.

Eh. This is the one time a year I root for FSU.

Cowherd is a race-baiting piece of human filth, but he's not completely devoid of admirable qualities.

Unlike Bayless, who is a contrarian purely for show, Cowherd is a legitimate contrarian who won't be able to resist the urge to call out ESPN for shit like this.

Hey mre, as a lawyer can you explain how Winston's attorney is allowed to post confidential documents and the victim's name on social media? Seems like that would not be kosher in the world of lawyering.

https://twitter.com/wmdavidcornwell/status/529772079462506496

Winston's attorney has always come across as less than admirable. I don't know what he's doing behind the scenes, but as far as public interaction goes, he hurts a whole lot more than he helps.

There's no bias though!

Draxal

Irrc, he was the only calling out UNC on its bullshit (from ESPN) while it was buried on the website.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
A bit of NCAA internal emails.

B1sMAS8CUAASUhN.png

Basically, for as bad as the PSU situation was, the NCAA knew that it technically outside of it's jurisdiction to do anything about the Sandusky situation. It bluffed Penn State into accepting punishment.

quote:
Andy Staples @Andy_Staples
Between this and the USC case e-mails that may come out if those docs get unsealed in the McNair case, the NCAA is, well...

quote:
By the by, this is probably enough to get Emmert run.

quote:
The NCAA is supposed to BE the schools. But when the home office makes up a protocol and imposes it on a school, bad for all schools.

quote:
So if I'm a university prez subject to NCAA rule, I'm not particularly confident in the leadership.

Think this is an article, with the full email. But it's a Penn State site, so cover your butts protect yourselves

Meier

Hey mre, as a lawyer can you explain how Winston's attorney is allowed to post confidential documents and the victim's name on social media? Seems like that would not be kosher in the world of lawyering.

I think the fact there isn't a police case means that technically her name doesn't have to be redacted when the case is discussed. Most would do so out of respect for privacy, but this guy, for whatever reason, has not done so repeatedly.

Lubricus

If anybody (Ganhyun, Enron, or anyone else) is interested in a breakdown in the shitshow that was the Georgia defense this last week, look here. Basically, poor job of DL and OLB's handling their gaps properly led to what happened Saturday. There is no way that they were coached to do what they did, but it feeds back into what two defensive players said this week.. they underestimated Florida. Basically, they thought that because they'd won 3 in a row over Florida and were playing well as a defense that they could win on talent alone instead of relying on their technique and coaching. That's frustrating.
They also had hangovers.

Ganhyun

Hopefully the UGA coaches can get those players back on track. Though I am hearing alot of chatter about Richt just not being anything other than a 8+ wins a season coach. Lot of people want him gone completely because they seem to think we could get Saban or Kirby Smart or something.

A bit of NCAA internal emails.

B1sMAS8CUAASUhN.png

Basically, for as bad as the PSU situation was, the NCAA knew that it technically outside of it's jurisdiction to do anything about the Sandusky situation. It bluffed Penn State into accepting punishment.

Think this is an article, with the full email. But it's a Penn State site, so cover your butts protect yourselves

"Even if discovered, reported, and actions taken immediately by the administration, not sure how this would have changed anything from a competitive advantage perspective."

How was Reggie Bush being paid to leave early a competitive advantage for USC? The NCAA is such poop.

Also did you guys see this from the Playoff Committee:

Both last week and this week, most of Long’s explanations for why teams are ranked where they are have been refreshingly direct, usually citing a specific win or wins. Asked on ESPN, though, about No. 5 Alabama remaining ahead of No. 6 TCU despite the Horned Frogs beating the same West Virginia team as the Tide PLUS another ranked foe, Oklahoma, Long said they “looked at the film.”

Per Stewart Mandel.

No SEC agenda there!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

I believe he's a Georgia attorney, so he'd be subject to GA bar rules as well, but since the proceeding in question is in Florida, let's look at their relevant rules. Rule 3.6 of the Florida Rules of Professional Conduct states:

RULE 4-3.6 TRIAL PUBLICITY

(a) Prejudicial Extrajudicial Statements Prohibited.

A lawyer shall not make an extrajudicial statement that a reasonable person would expect to be disseminated by means of public communication if the lawyer knows or reasonably should know that it will have a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing an adjudicative proceeding due to its creation of an imminent and substantial detrimental effect on that proceeding.
Before you can say he violated this Rule you have to ask how the rules define an "adjudicative proceeding." Here, no case has been filed and the only pending proceeding is one before FSU's internal review board (or whatever they call it). We do know that a civil suit is almost certainly going to come so the ultimate question you're going to ask is does the phrase "adjudicative proceeding" encompass either proceedings before quasi-judicial bodies or future cases? You would have to search FL Bar opinions to find the answer to that question. My gut instinct would be to say that it probably would encompass proceedings before quasi-judicial bodies where the attorney is appearing as counsel for the participant. I'm not sure about future cases, though I'm inclined to say that it doesn't encompass them, unless the Bar has interpreted 3.6 as pertaining to adjudicative proceedings which the attorney knew (or should have known) were likely to occur.

If we have an "adjudicative proceeding" then you have to determine whether or not the statement was "prejudicial." Now, FRPC differs from the Model Rules of Professional Conduct suggested by the American Bar Association. MRPC 3.6 states:
(a) A lawyer who is participating or has participated in the investigation or litigation of a matter shall not make an extrajudicial statement that the lawyer knows or reasonably should know will be disseminated by means of public communication and will have a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing an adjudicative proceeding in the matter.

(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), a lawyer may state:

(1) the claim, offense or defense involved and, except when prohibited by law, the identity of the persons involved;
So, under the Model Rules, an attorney will not violate Rule 3.6 by stating the name of the victim unless doing so is prohibited by law. As the Florida Bar did not adopt this specific provision, it's unclear whether or not they would find the publication of the victim's identity to be "prejudicial." Because I'm not going to search or read ethical opinions issued by the Florida Bar, I'm going to rely on common sense and assume that they would interpret publication of a victim's name where prohibited by law to be inherently prejudicial.

So, is there a law prohibiting such a disclosure? Florida has criminalized the communication of the "name, address, or other identifying fact or information of the victim of any sexual offense within this chapter." Fl. Stat. 794.03. Is the lady in this case a "victim of any sexual offense" so as to trigger the prohibition of disclosing her name? I'm not sure if she would be seeing as how the state has declined to prosecute Winston. I don't know if this protection exists into perpetuity based solely upon the allegation of sexual assault, or if the protection only exists for victims of active cases. You'd have to research Florida case law to see how the statute has been interpreted.

So, to answer your question, there's a possibility that he did violate FRPC 3.6. However, even if he didn't, what he did is definitely a dick move that most attorneys would find to be in extremely bad taste.

Edit: two points: there may be some sort of confidentiality provisions of Title IX that could weigh in a determination that his comment was prejudicial. And pretty much everything Brown says about Cornwell in this article: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/jameis_winstons_attorney_says_1.html

andycapps

Hopefully the UGA coaches can get those players back on track. Though I am hearing alot of chatter about Richt just not being anything other than a 8+ wins a season coach. Lot of people want him gone completely because they seem to think we could get Saban or Kirby Smart or something.

LOL yeah right. You think the penny pinchers at Butts-Mehre would open up their endless gold coffers enough to pry away Saban from Bama? It's not that we couldn't afford it, it's that Bama can afford to spend whatever it takes to keep him as well. There's no reason for Saban to leave. So that's just not happening.

Smart is unproven as a head coach. I don't know that he's the home run hire a lot of people think he is when I'm sure that Saban micromanages the shit out of their defense. I'm not sure how much of Bama's defense is Smart executing what Saban tells him to do, or just Saban.

Richt's record is .737. Dooley's was .715. Dooley did not have a national championship until 26 years into his tenure. Dooley had quite a few 5-5 and 6-5 seasons that probably would have gotten him fired now, and those occurred prior to the national title he won. Is Richt capable of getting us to a national championship? Well he was a few seconds away from an appearance in 2012. I'm pretty sure Dooley had some of those close calls too before he got one. Richt went 13-1 in 2002, could have very easily been in the championship that year if it weren't for two undefeated teams. 2007 they could have easily been in the championship, and might have been if it weren't for people like Herbstreit going on TV saying that you should have to win your conference to be in the championship game (even though it's not a requirement and he's since said the opposite with Bama and LSU).

So it's not for a lack of opportunities, it's a lack of good breaks, some injuries, bad seasons, etc. I still think Richt is the best coach we've ever had at UGA, the numbers bear that out. The only thing eluding him is a championship. When he gets that, what will people complain about then?

Sorry for the Pristine post

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
How was Reggie Bush being paid to leave early a competitive advantage for USC? The NCAA is such poop.

Also did you guys see this from the Playoff Committee:

Per Stewart Mandel.

No SEC agenda there!

Beat WVU by more and wasn't ever in doubt, where TCU easily could have lost the game, and they feel that Alabama @Ole Miss was a better loss than TCU @ Baylor (with having 2 loss Ole Miss being higher than 1 loss Baylor)

Besides, you have no ground to complain about Alabama's current spot, because of the upcoming matchups with MSUs and Auburn (and LSU), so it doesn't really matter. Win out, and have more than enough merit to be in the playoffs, or lose a game and be out of it.

Shit will get sorted out shortly, Conspiracy Friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom