• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 11: the SEC may have a baby dick, but everyone else still has penis envy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

How is this not obvious? He gained a first down, so the chains move. He didn't gain a first down, then it's added to the down and distance.

You're just explaining the rule. We're not questioning how the rule works, but why it's inconsistent with the same penalty on any other down.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
9WmlBO8.gif

Talon

You're just explaining the rule. We're not questioning how the rule works, but why it's inconsistent with the same penalty on any other down.
The first down is the first down. The down and distance is not impacted by a penalty that happens AFTER the first down is gained - rather field position is.

There's no inconsistency here. You're missing the primacy of the first down conversion.

We definitely have the talent (IMO we have more talent than Wisconsin overall) but it's a road game and Pelini is terrible on the road against ranked opponents. Add in a pretty good defense, a solid running game, and Nebraska's tendency to wilt on the big stage and it looks like the perfect recipe for Nebraska disaster.
I can't disagree. But at the same time our front 4 is legit and Abdullah could always get hot.

I don't trust Tim Beck to have a great game plan but our defense will keep it close. We'll totally lay an egg if we make it to the B1G title game though lol

Draconian

Have no idea how that wasn't PI on Cyrus on the last play, but I'll take it.

What a comeback. Never would've imagined we had that in us.

Now Miss State next week. Should be fun.

Jamesways

Both guys were guilty of hand checking. Clearly the no call was the right call.

True seeing the replay, as they said, both players hands on each other, refs aren't going to pull flags out either way at that point.

Damn, what a game.

Branduil

The first down is the first down. The down and distance is not impacted by a penalty that happens AFTER the first down is gained - rather field position is.

There's no inconsistency here. You're missing the primacy of the first down conversion.

I'm not missing it, I'm questioning why it matters. You get the 1st down. Okay, it's 1st and 10. And then the penalty happens after the play. So logically and consistently, it should be 1st and 25 like with the same penalty on any other down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom