• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 12: the Valley Shook, the Plains Ran Dry, and Sparty Clempsoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was too busy trying to get into a Halo match and forgot to do picks.

Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 8
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 17
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 4
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 7
Washington @ Arizona by 14
Utah @ Stanford by 14
Auburn @ Georgia by 4
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 4
Florida State @ Miami by 31
LSU @ Arkansas by 4

Limedust

B2XS5VdCUAIBXf6.jpg

"Hi, Mom!"

With the sheer number of teams in CFB, subjectivity has to enter the equation at some point. By simply making it about conference rankings as opposed to the teams themselves, it removes most of the millions of variables. Was USC in 2003 the best team? Obviously. Was it the best conference? No. I don't mind because I'm confident 2003 USC would blast anybody in the playoffs.

Exactly.

Want to make the playoffs? Win your conference. It should be as simple as that.

My preferred setup, as I've stated before, would be an eight-team playoff with five conference champions and three at-larges.

Under that sort of system, you only have to deal with the stupid polls and other variables if you don't win your conference and are vying for an at-large bid. Or if you're a fuckheaded school like Notre Dame who refuses to join a conference.

Exactly.

Want to make the playoffs? Win your conference. It should be as simple as that.

My preferred setup, as I've stated before, would be an eight-team playoff with five conference champions and three at-larges.

Under that sort of system, you only have to deal with the stupid polls and other variables if you don't win your conference and are vying for an at-large bid. Or if you're a fuckheaded school like Notre Deam who refuses to join a conference.
We need an eight team playoff, SEC bias willing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
late on the "Would Alabama beat FSU at Home/Away" statement (as I was already struggling to go to sleep at that point).

Yeah, I "believe" they would, but the problem becomes "Has Alabama just come from a 4 game stretch against Florida, LSU, Auburn and Miss State or against Kentucky, Vandy, Tennessee and Western Carolina Jr." FSU with the same problem, except there's fewer tough outs in the ACC."

Now, making everyone play the same schedule kind of solves that, but then who wins out becomes more about "who has the healthier team." It also becomes the NFL, where a couple of losses might not matter, cause no one's getting through that unscathed.

Also, you'd never get away with ending the rivalry games. They are yearly events, unless you're a bitch like Texas ;P

late on the "Would Alabama beat FSU at Home/Away" statement (as I was already struggling to go to sleep at that point).

Yeah, I "believe" they would, but the problem becomes "Has Alabama just come from a 4 game stretch against Florida, LSU, Auburn and Miss State or against Kentucky, Vandy, Tennessee and Western Carolina Jr." FSU with the same problem, except there's fewer tough outs in the ACC."

Now, making everyone play the same schedule kind of solves that, but then who wins out becomes more about "who has the healthier team." It also becomes the NFL, where a couple of losses might not matter, cause no one's getting through that unscathed.

Also, you'd never get away with ending the rivalry games. They are yearly events, unless you're a bitch like Texas ;P
Our OOC was full until 2018 and has been since A&M SECeded! And unlike many opponents we've scheduled (Notre Dame), we have too much pride to back out of a contractual game on the future schedule. We'll play A&M again when it fits in our schedule, or possibly in a couple months if we become bowl eligible.

Balphon

Giving conference champs auto-bids sounds great until the season where a 4-loss ACC champion gets in over a 1-loss or 2-loss runner up from another conference.

Making comparisons to baseball is particularly puzzling since the reason the baseball playoff field keeps expanding is to avoid those types of scenarios.

This probably bugs me in particular as a Giants fan, but just look at the 1993 MLB season. The Giants won 103 games, finished at least 6 wins better than the champs of the other 3 divisions, and didn't make the playoffs.

A bit late to the playoffs talk and on my phone, so I'll just add this: 6 or 8 would be my ideal. Conference champs of the Power 5 shouldn't necessarily be guaranteed a spot, but there should be room for all 5.

cashman

Banned
Yeah, Texas never backs out of games. In this regard Texas is no different than any other school so let's not pretend otherwise.

Texas typically has set up two OOC games with teams from power conferences, so they either had to change the Minnesota game or the UTEP game to Cal. They have another dilemma coming up where they scheduled Maryland while they were still an ACC team, so they'll have to reschedule that to not get an SOS penalty.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Giving conference champs auto-bids sounds great until the season where a 4-loss ACC champion gets in over a 1-loss or 2-loss runner up from another conference.

There will always be outliers that "screw somebody." The Seahawks got into the NFL playoffs a few years ago with a losing record, for instance, and in 2008 the Patriots missed the playoffs at 11-5 while the 8-8 Chargers got in, but overall I think the NFL playoff system is pretty much complaint free.

So we stay reliant on polls and committees and human bullshit because a team might get screwed every couple of years?

This happens in pro sports regularly, but that doesn't mean the system is broken. Three at-large teams in an eight-team playoff is more than enough, IMO.

...Seahawks got into the NFL playoffs a few years ago with a losing record, for instance, and in 2008 the Patriots missed the playoffs at 11-5 while the 8-8 Chargers got in ...

Which is asinine.

I think you could write in some kind of three-loss caveat to the playoff; all power 5 champs get in unless they've three or more losses, at which point they're thrown into the "at-large" pile with everyone else.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Guess Picker at Alabama tomorrow is the Navy Seal who was the Lone Survivor, that lead to that movie where he's played by Mark Wahlberg.

He's from Texas and doesn't seem to have a connection to Alabama. But at least this time, they don't bring an LSU alum to Tuscaloosa to pick the game...
There was some talk that it might be Channing Tatum as he was in Montgomery on Wednesday. The Navy SEAL is probably the better choice.

Lonestar

FSU's PJ Williams Hit's and Run's, and that mysteriously gets turned into 2 traffic tickets.

Also in the car, was the other starting CB, Ronald Darby

The New York Times looked into how the police handled this case, reviewing law enforcement records and interviewing witnesses, lawyers, the police and a university representative. The examination found that Mr. Williams, driving with a suspended license, was given a break by the Tallahassee police, who initially labeled the accident a hit-and-run, a criminal act, but later decided to issue him only two traffic tickets. Afterward, the case did not show up in the city’s public online database of police calls — a technical glitch, the police said.

Mr. Williams eventually returned to the scene. But Tallahassee officers did not test him for alcohol. Nor did their report indicate whether they asked if he had been drinking or why he had fled, logical questions since the accident occurred at 2:37 a.m. The report also minimized the impact of the crash on the driver of the other car, Ian Keith, by failing to indicate that his airbag deployed — an important detail because Mr. Keith said in an interview that the airbag had cut and bruised his hands.

The university police, who lacked jurisdiction, nevertheless sent two ranking officers — including the shift commander — to the scene. Yet they wrote no report about their actions that night. Florida State dismissed the role of its officers in the incident as too minor to require a report or enter into their own online police log, comparing it to an instance when campus officers responded to a baby possum falling from a tree.

Hitting Cars: Like Catching Possum's from a tree!

Pictures of the other guy's car and deflated airbag in the article.

The 2 Traffic Tickets given:

In the crash report, Officer Hawthorne indicated there was no suspected alcohol or drug use, and he issued Mr. Williams traffic tickets for an improper left turn and for “unknowingly” driving with a suspended license.

I don't know what I have in my wallet, officer.

As for Mr. Williams, court records showed that two days after the accident, he paid $296 in overdue fines, related to an earlier speeding ticket, in order to get his license reinstated. But the $392 in fines related to the Oct. 5 crash remained unpaid, and overdue, as of this week. As a result, his license was suspended again.

Watch out, you'll never know when PJ comes for you!

in final:

Sure, it's not a sexual assault, but come on, hide your protective police department better, FSU. You're already under the spotlight!

Today is the last day we can say that Jameis Winston is undefeated. After tomorrow, the playoff picture will be very interesting with FSU out of the top 4 (and possibly top 10).

mre

FSU's PJ Williams Hit's and Run's, and that mysteriously gets turned into 2 traffic tickets.

Also in the car, was the other starting CB, Ronald Darby

Hitting Cars: Like Catching Possum's from a tree!

Pictures of the other guy's car and deflated airbag in the article.

The 2 Traffic Tickets given:

I don't know what I have in my wallet, officer.

Watch out, you'll never know when PJ comes for you!

in final:

Sure, it's not a sexual assault, but come on, hide your protective police department better, FSU. You're already under the spotlight!
That baby possum line is killing me.

pxleyes

Banned
Thanks for the summary post, Lodestar. Just finished the article, and I can't really say anything other than 'typical'. At this point, it is clear TPD, FSUPD, and the entire athletic department are a little too cozy.

Balphon

So we stay reliant on polls and committees and human bullshit because a team might get screwed every couple of years?

Yes. If subjectivity is such an inherent vice, why not just take the 8 teams with the best records?

This happens in pro sports regularly, but that doesn't mean the system is broken. Three at-large teams in an eight-team playoff is more than enough, IMO.

Yes, it does. Which is why the MLB has two more divisions and 4 more wild card teams than it did in 1993, as well as 3 (I think) WS champion wild card teams in that span.

More to the point, pro leagues do not have 100+ teams. The larger field will only exacerbate these sorts of issues.

Top 8, it isn't rocket science.

Power 5 undefeated teams: In (should be redundant with top 8, though)
Power 5 1+ loss teams/G5 undefeateds: The committee better like you.
Conference champions: Congratulations, here's your ribbon, now go stand in line.

Lunar15

Thanks for the summary post, Lodestar. Just finished the article, and I can't really say anything other than 'typical'. At this point, it is clear TPD, FSUPD, and the entire athletic department are a little too cozy.

Meanwhile, Gainesville PD will arrest you just for barking at a dog.

Or was that UFPD? Either way, they both tend to hate our athletes.

Meier

Meanwhile, Gainesville PD will arrest you just for barking at a dog.

Or was that UFPD? Either way, they both tend to hate our athletes.

Surely you have things mixed up. Gainesville PD and the UF grad State's Attorney are even more notorious (until this year apparently) for letting their players do whatever they want.

Sorry, but that's a load of bullshit. At least a conference title is a tangible accomplishment that's not arbitrarily determined by a bunch of suits in a boardroom.

If subjectivity is such an inherent vice, why not just take the 8 teams with the best records?

I'm going to assume this is a rhetorical question.

Yes, it does. Which is why the MLB has two more divisions and 4 more wild card teams than it did in 1993, as well as 3 (I think) WS champion wild card teams in that span.

More to the point, pro leagues do not have 100+ teams. The larger field will only exacerbate these sorts of issues.

Comparing this situation to baseball in any capacity is nonsensical. Baseball has the luxury of having a 162-game season in which each team plays their entire league, and thus, each team has a relatively equal strength of schedule.

Subjective polls don't work in college football because they're based almost entirely on guesswork. Cross-conference games are limited and you obviously can't do a nationwide round-robin schedule. People dub a conference strong or weak based largely on perception, and that perception eventually shapes which teams get into the ridiculously small playoff.

The best you can do is make the conference championships the barrier of entry to the posteason. It takes the heavily flawed human element out of it almost entirely. Conferences will have strong years, and conferences will have weak years. If a conference is in a weak year, at worst it will occupy one spot out of eight, and it won't have any other teams contending for one of the at-large spots.

Am I really supposed to be terrified by the thought of a fourth place SEC team being shut out of an eight-team playoff?

Win your fucking conference.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Which is asinine.

I think you could write in some kind of three-loss caveat to the playoff; all power 5 champs get in unless they've three or more losses, at which point they're thrown into the "at-large" pile with everyone else.

It sucks, yes, but there isn't some huge outcry about it because there is a hard set of rules that are generally fair and everyone can point to exactly what happened in each case; there is no coach lobbying at the end of the season to hit a certain percentage of people voting in polls to boost them in or anything like that.

College football has too many teams in it to ever really go to the exact same system as the NFL, of course, but you could at least move it a bit closer, as opposed to the current system that is essentially 100% human opinion. AFAIK the committee could literally vote in SMU, Tulsa, UNLV, and Notre Dame this season if they wanted to, since all they have in the way are "guidelines," not actual rules.

Lonestar

Outside Organization.

We've got fucking C.O.B.R.A. out there, fucking things up for everyone.

cdyhybrid

Word around the FSU campus is that the link was spam. They're closer to the situation, so I'm more inclined to believe them.

Balphon

Sorry, but that's a load of bullshit. At least a conference title is a tangible accomplishment that's not arbitrarily determined by a bunch of suits in a boardroom.

A tangible accomplishment of what? Marshall is going to win the CUSA; what does that say about them?

I'm going to assume this is a rhetorical question.

Of course, because your problem isn't with subjectivity, it's with the amount of subjectivity. However, the solution you propose is the worst of both worlds: absurd geography-based automatic qualification combined with a committee stuffing a large field of qualified teams into too few playoff slots.

Comparing this situation to baseball in any capacity is nonsensical. Baseball has the luxury of having a 162-game season in which each team plays their entire league, and thus, each team has a relatively equal strength of schedule.

Subjective polls don't work in college football because they're based almost entirely on guesswork. Cross-conference games are limited and you obviously can't do a nationwide round-robin schedule. People dub a conference strong or weak based largely on perception, and that perception eventually shapes which teams get into the ridiculously small playoff.

The best you can do is make the conference championships the barrier of entry to the posteason. It takes the heavily flawed human element out of it almost entirely. Conferences will have strong years, and conferences will have weak years. If a conference is in a weak year, at worst it will occupy one spot out of eight, and it won't have any other teams contending for one of the at-large spots.

Am I really supposed to be terrified by the thought of a fourth place SEC team being shut out of an eight-team playoff?

Win your fucking conference.

The baseball comparison wasn't my idea.

But getting to your argument, you can't have it both ways. Conference strength cannot be a matter of perception if "strength of schedule" is still a thing that exists. Either most teams are on the same level or they aren't. Clearly, the case is typically the latter, so I'm not sure why we need to put so much weight on success in-conference.

As for your rhetorical question, the nightmare scenario isn't the #4 SEC team being shut out of a playoff that would otherwise accommodate them so an 8-5 Virginia Tech team can lose in the first round. Rather, it's the #2 team of a P5 conference being left out, or perhaps the #1 team being upset in a CCG and being left out.

ryseing

I am not from the whole US college sports culture, but I would be picking a school to play at that would give me the best chance to reach my potential, not because of someone who they play.

Cupcake games are a good thing? Not for the viewers or spectators, which are the ones who are pouring the money into the universities.

Rivalry games can be put on hold for years and if they are real rivalries they will be fine.

Australian Rugby has a huge rivalry with the Irish and British Lions, whom we only play once every 4 years, or 8 years at home. Its a huge rivalry

In cricket, the Aussies play England once every 2 or 3 years depending on schedules. Thats the biggest rivalry in cricket.

We last played England in football (soccer) in 2005. Yet the rivalry would be as strong as ever the next time they play, if they ever do (England is scared of losing to us again!).

Yes, cupcake games are a good thing. There's been a slew of articles about it recently. The payouts help support the lower divisions of football. Presbyterian played 3 (at least?) FBS teams this year, including mine. They got a crap ton of improvements to their stadium out of it. Cupcake games help spread the wealth that is so highly concentrated in the P5. If you want to implement revenue sharing along with this conference, I can begin to get on board. But the rivalry issue remains. As another poster said, there would be rioting if Mich/OSU or Bama/Auburn weren't played every year, and I would be right there with them. Rivalries set CFB apart, and the best ones entertaining to watch even as a neutral. Any plan that gets rid of the great yearly rivalries is doing the sport a disservice.

MrJames

GAF Pick'em Week 12 Games

(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by X Too late
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 6
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 7
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 7
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 8
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 6
Washington @ Arizona by 13
Utah @ Stanford by 6
Auburn @ Georgia by 11
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 6
Florida State @ Miami by 16
LSU @ Arkansas by 10

A tangible accomplishment of what? Marshall is going to win the CUSA; what does that say about them?

We all know that the non-majors are largely irrelevant to this entire conversation. They might as well be in a different NCAA division entirely, and perhaps someday they will be.

Of course, because your problem isn't with subjectivity, it's with the amount of subjectivity. However, the solution you propose is the worst of both worlds: absurd geography-based automatic qualification combined with a committee stuffing a large field of qualified teams into too few playoff slots.

It's a compromise that balances the need for some sort of objective measure of a team's worth with individuals like yourself who insist on relying on subjective measures of worth to pick a field.

As for your rhetorical question, the nightmare scenario isn't the #4 SEC team being shut out of a playoff that would otherwise accommodate them so an 8-5 Virginia Tech team can lose in the first round. Rather, it's the #2 team of a P5 conference being left out, or perhaps the #1 team being upset in a CCG and being left out.

How often do you think this would actually happen? Because if a clearly high-quality 2nd place SEC or Pac 12 team were "on the bubble" for the three at-large spots, they'd almost certainly get in.

You're acting like this these are basketball conference championships where a complete garbage team can inexplicably win a conference championship and take a playoff spot from a deserving team. Be honest: that's probably not going to happen very often, if ever, in football.

An eight-team playoff with five champs and three at-larges lays out the situation very clearly: If you want a guaranteed spot in the playoff, win your conference. Otherwise you're subject to the whims of human subjectivity. So win your conference.

Balphon

We all know that the non-majors are largely irrelevant to this entire conversation. They might as well be in a different NCAA division entirely, and perhaps someday they will be.

It's a compromise that balances the need for some sort of objective measure of a team's worth with individuals like yourself who insist on relying on subjective measures of worth to pick a field.

Being a conference champion may be "objective," but it is not a verifiable measure of "worth." See: Marshall. Treating it as though it is is just as arbitrary as the "human bullshit" you're complaining about.

You really may as well just go by regular season record. There are fewer downsides that way.

How often do you think this would actually happen? Because if a clearly high-quality 2nd place SEC or Pac 12 team were "on the bubble" for the three at-large spots, they'd almost certainly get in.

You're acting like this these are basketball conference championships where a complete garbage team can inexplicably win a conference championship and take a playoff spot from a deserving team. Be honest: that's probably not going to happen very often, if ever, in football.

I think it would happen rather frequently. There are easy examples from the BCS era of the Big East or ACC champ being worse than mid-tier teams in other conferences, to say nothing of their #2s. And 12-0 teams can certainly lose CCGs -- just look at Texas's magic extra second in 2009.

A different division? A little extreme, no?

I mean sure I'll accept that once all of the shit tier bottom feeders that have done nothing relevant or competitive in their history in major conferences are kicked out too. Goddamn welfare check collectors. A good 15-20 programs.

Edit: And let's not lump the Big East in with the horrific record of the ACC in major bowl games. Big East/AAC held their own overall. ACC largely sucked and were embarrassments. If we're talking about factual information, of course.

jakncoke

Banned
So, just barely we missed the death penalty eh. In some ways i wished they did. But then all my saturadays would be bland. tbh i really dont give that much a flying fuck about your programs and hope the worst the most. Sometimes I feel myself moving further and further from college football.

AntoneM

A different division? A little extreme, no?

I mean sure I'll accept that once all of the shit tier bottom feeders that have done nothing relevant or competitive in their history in major conferences are kicked out too. Goddamn welfare check collectors. A good 15-20 programs. <snip>

The thing is, there would be a good quality 20-ish FCS programs that would join such a tier. Directional Michigan University isn't much different from Sam Houston State, Delaware, North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, Montana, etc... With just the non-power five schools plus a couple more conferences (new to move up or an established one moving up in its entirety) moving into a new tier you would get some damn good football... and a bigger playoff if they adapt the FCS playoff.

The thing is, there would be a good quality 20-ish FCS programs that would join such a tier. Directional Michigan University isn't much different from Sam Houston State, Delaware, North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, Montana, etc... With just the non-power five schools plus a couple more conferences (new to move up or an established one moving up in its entirety) moving into a new tier you would get some damn good football... and a bigger playoff if they adapt the FCS playoff.
A program like UCF doesn't belong with EWU or Montana St. No amount of convincing will sway me. Same with ECU who has a history of winning and puts nearly 50k in the stands every week. Or BYU, Cinci, Boise, CSU, etc.

Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 4
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 4
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 4
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 10
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 7
Washington @ Arizona by 10
Utah @ Stanford by 7
Auburn @ Georgia by 4
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 4
Florida State @ Miami by 4
LSU @ Arkansas by 4

mre

A program like UCF doesn't belong with EWU or Montana St. No amount of convincing will sway me. Same with ECU who has a history of winning and puts nearly 50k in the stands every week. Or BYU, Cinci, Boise, CSU, etc.
I think the day the power 5 conferences leave the rest of the conferences behind will essentially be the end of college football as we know it. And that will be pretty damn sad.

AntoneM

Yet there are schools in your division already that sell about the same amount of tickets a game as FCS schools. So you kind of already are in a conference like Montana St. NDSU, Montana, James Madison and others.

I mean, UNLV, Wyoming, Western Kentucky, UAB, Tulsa, UMass, Idaho, Kent St., Louisiana Monroe and Tech, SMU, South Alabama, Akron, Ball St., Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Miami Ohio, Middle Tennessee, New Mexico St., Northern Illinois, Rice, and San Jose St. All have the same average attendance as the top FCS schools.

There are 27 teams in FBS that have attendance similar to the top FCS teams.

mre

Yet there are schools in your division already that sell about the same amount of tickets a game as FCS schools. So you kind of already are in a conference like Montana St. NDSU, Montana, James Madison and others.

I mean, UNLV, Wyoming, Western Kentucky, UAB, Tulsa, UMass, Idaho, Kent St., Louisiana Monroe and Tech, SMU, South Alabama, Akron, Ball St., Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Miami Ohio, Middle Tennessee, New Mexico St., Northern Illinois, Rice, and San Jose St. All have the same average attendance as the top FCS schools.

There are 27 teams in FBS that have attendance similar to the top FCS teams.
Dead program by the way. Unless something changes over the next month, this team's football program is going away.

Meant to post that earlier today when I heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom