• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 12: the Valley Shook, the Plains Ran Dry, and Sparty Clempsoned

Status
Not open for further replies.
(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by 7
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 10
Virginia Tech @ Duke by 4
Pittsburgh @ North Carolina by 4
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 10
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 7
Washington @ Arizona by 10
Utah @ Stanford by 4
Auburn @ Georgia by 13
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 7
Florida State @ Miami by 13
LSU @ Arkansas by 20

cashman

Banned
GAF Pick'em Week 12 Games

(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by 5
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 8
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 6
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 4
Washington @ Arizona by 16
Utah @ Stanford by 5
Auburn @ Georgia by 4
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 4
Florida State @ Miami by 11
LSU @ Arkansas by 4

(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by 4
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 4
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 4
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 4
Washington @ Arizona by 4
Utah @ Stanford by 4
Auburn @ Georgia by 4
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 4
Florida State @ Miami by 4
LSU @ Arkansas by 4

This weeks poster:

x201410-game-poster.jpg.pagespeed.ic.e1D582SXhf.jpg

(THU) ECU @ Cincinnati by 7
Clemson @ Georgia Tech by 10
Mississippi State @ Alabama by 10
Nebraska @ Wisconsin by 7
Washington @ Arizona by 10
Utah @ Stanford by 4
Auburn @ Georgia by 13
Texas @ Oklahoma State by 7
Florida State @ Miami by 13
LSU @ Arkansas by 20

INteresting, you are the only one who as picked VT over Duke...

Chicko's new proposed CFB format:

Each year, the Conference of Champions (CoC) is decided by the winner of each of the Power 5, the highest ranked FCS team and the best at large team. Thus the CoC has 7 teams and they all play each other home and away, for 12 games in total. The top 2 teams play in the National Championship Game.

The top 2 teams auto qualify for the next year's CoC.

The bottom 5 teams play their respective conference champion in one of the classic bowl games for a place to make it to the CoC the following year. The National Championship game is the 6th classic bowl game.

This way, the best team is decided through home and away meetings and interconfrencely. Also, the best teams do not play any cup-cake games.

Each Power 5 conference is represented and FCS teams will play in a legit bowl game (the only problem is that there will be a bowl game where two FCS teams play each other).

What do you think?

It would eliminate a lot of the top team arguments I think and the best team would be pretty much undisputed.

Each year, the Conference of Champions (CoC) is decided by the winner of each of the Power 5, the highest ranked FCS team and the best at large team. Thus the CoC has 7 teams and they all play each other home and away, for 12 games in total. The top 2 teams play in the National Championship Game.

The bottom 5 teams play their respective conference champion in one of the classic bowl games for a place to make it to the CoC the following year. The National Championship game is the 6th classic bowl game.

This way, the best team is decided through home and away meetings and interconfrencely. Also, the best teams do not play any cup-cake games.

Each Power 5 conference is represented and FCS teams will play in a legit bowl game (the only problem is that there will be a bowl game where two FCS teams play each other).

What do you think?

It would eliminate a lot of the top team arguments I think and the best team would be pretty much undisputed.

OK, bear with me for a moment.

What?

What do you think?

I think youre really overestimating how good the FCS is

OK, bear with me for a moment.

What?

Its my alternate format for deciding the best team in college football instead of the Playoff System.

I didnt think it was hard to follow.

It gets rid of the "they played more cup cakes" "they only played such and such conference", "they had a week ooc schedule", "they only played them at home" etc type of arguments.

I think youre really overestimating how good the FCS is

I was only trying to keep people happy. Maybe two at large teams in the Conference of Champions instead of one plus the FCS champion.

Its my alternate format for deciding the best team in college football instead of the Playoff System.

I didnt think it was hard to follow.

Yeah, but you're turning the championship process into a 2 year window. This is college, sometimes the window really is just 1 year. Teams have gone from out of the preseason top 25 to top of the polls in just a handful of weeks (see: Mississippi State just this year!), and your plan would have them wait until year 2 to even have a chance, right? Meanwhile, that team might not be as good in year 2 and therefore not be deserving at all of being in contention.

Cal - USC about to kickoff on ESPN. Can't imagine this is the year that Cal breaks the streak, but if Goff plays well, maybe it'll stay competitive a little longer than usual.

Yeah, but you're turning the championship process into a 2 year window. This is college, sometimes the window really is just 1 year. Teams have gone from out of the preseason top 25 to top of the polls in just a handful of weeks (see: Mississippi State just this year!), and your plan would have them wait until year 2 to even have a chance, right? Meanwhile, that team might not be as good in year 2 and therefore not be deserving at all of being in contention.

Id accept the argument against it if the championship process was longer than 2 years, but its not and every player has to play 2 years min. before turning pro.

If youre a young player and your team is going to the Conference of Champions the following year, you would stay on for sure.

The NCAA just needs to make an exception for any Senior to be allowed stay on for one additional year if their team makes the Conference of Champions. This way, the team that wins a conference could be the same team that plays the next year in the Conference of Champions.

This is the game Cal hurts us. our secondary is weak, especially with Shaw out. And Sark calls too conservatively to take advantage of Cal's poor secondary.

Jhriad

Looking at the ECU score I can tell this is going to be another down week for my picks. Also a probable Nebraska loss. Bleh.

Id accept the argument against it if the championship process was longer than 2 years, but its not and every player has to play 2 years min. before turning pro.

If youre a young player and your team is going to the Conference of Champions the following year, you would stay on for sure.

The NCAA just needs to make an exception for any Senior to be allowed stay on for one additional year if their team makes the Conference of Champions. This way, the team that wins a conference could be the same team that plays the next year in the Conference of Champions.

No, that's just not going to work. Football is a grind. No player would or should stick around an extra year to play for free in college. They need to go to the NFL and get paid while they can, because football careers are short, but their bodies are often broken for life. The lesser athletes might not have much of a choice, but the top players need to grab that money while they can.

I'll not say that success from one year doesn't carry over into another, but in American sports, winning the championship this year is about what you did this year.

Unless you're Notre Dame, of course.

What happened to the Larry Coker fan? He's really lost control of UTSA this year.

edit: just flipped over to teh UTSA v. USM game, and two opposing players had their facemasks locked together by the end of the play. Awkward.

What do you think?

Isn't this basically how champions leagues work in most international soccer leagues? It just wouldn't work in college because of the ridiculous amounts of turnover.

This is the game Cal hurts us. our secondary is weak, especially with Shaw out. And Sark calls too conservatively to take advantage of Cal's poor secondary.

So Sark is going against you by having Kessler throw it 12 times to start the game. To only 5 rushing attempts.

andycapps

The other one is better. Yall bringing Gurley back.

Well, the best he's done is "Letter to Larry," he won some awards for that for whoever does awards for short form films or something. The scary thing is that Martin is a student there, and I hope they can keep him doing these videos after he graduates.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well, the best he's done is "Letter to Larry," he won some awards for that for whoever does awards for short form films or something. The scary thing is that Martin is a student there, and I hope they can keep him doing these videos after he graduates.

No, the hype video posted on the last page by mre.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

woof woof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom