• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacar

From the Oregon State website -

Yea the picture I saw on twitter looked a little worse than that. Still looks closer to 60 than 40 in it.

Whatever its beside the point, I guess the hire is ok, mainly cause Pellini was just a douche.

Does Nebraska have alot of returning players next year?

nataku

Really, Nebraska? We must have struck out on a lot of people.

I know nothing about this guy, but looking at his record doesn't make me too comfortable. We fire Pelini, who wins 9 a year, for a guy who has done that twice in the same time frame while having multiple losing seasons in between, and coming super close to another.

I mean I know it's Oregon State, but still...

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Mike... Riley? Never thought he'd leave except to retire. Kind of shocked they'd want him. Seems like they fired Bo thinking they'd get a big name, failed, and had to make do.

Well, at least we don't have to mark down OSU as an L every year any more.
Shit, they didn't try very hard.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I am fine with the hire. Not the most obvious choice by a mile, but OSUw has literally never been good, so what he did there may be seen as an indicator of what he can do with relatively nothing.

I certainly Fucking hope so... What a strange hire after letting go of Pelini, though. At least this guy isn't an ass. Getting back to Osborne's temperament isn't going to automatically bring back the 90s though. :p

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Fake Bo Pelini @FauxPelini · 33 minutes ago
KNOCK KNOCK!
WHO'S THERE??
MIKE RILEY!
MIKE RILEY WHO??
YEAH THAT'S WHAT I SAID TOO

andycapps

Wasn't my point. 33 PPG with literal "game managers" was a hell of a job by Coach McElwain.

It's true, those guys weren't great QB's at all but the offense moved the ball well enough and was certainly good enough with where the defense was at the time.

We don't really know, it's going to be up to McElwain. Driskel is eligable for another year, but he's already talking about transferring. That leaves Treon, the redshirt Will Grier, and some possible superstar freshman that randomly shows up and gets to play for whatever reason.

Right, I figured Treon is probably the guy.

So Florida's recruiting, did they just decide not to recruit this year or are they just behind on getting commitments? Because they're #61 in the country with only 9 commits according to 247. None of those are QB's

Oh Nebraska, what a hire.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mike Riley is a weird hire for Nebraska. They should have gotten somebody like Gundy or even Bronco Mendenhall

Bronco makes like 600k a year. His loyalty is to the University, a few million won't away him, as I am sure he has had offers elsewhere.

Nebraska fans get to see Bronco Mendenhall up close next year, any way! Lol

bachikarn

It's true, those guys weren't great QB's at all but the offense moved the ball well enough and was certainly good enough with where the defense was at the time.

Right, I figured Treon is probably the guy.

So Florida's recruiting, did they just decide not to recruit this year or are they just behind on getting commitments? Because they're #61 in the country with only 9 commits according to 247. None of those are QB's

Oh Nebraska, what a hire.

We have a QB commit. SHERION Jones. Not sure if he sticks thk given the new offense.

Chris R

(THU) UCF @ East Carolina by 7
(FRI) Bowling Green vs N Illinois by 7
(FRI) Arizona vs Oregon by 17
Louisiana Tech vs Marshall by 10
Houston @ Cincinnati by 10
Iowa State @ TCU by 24
Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma by 14
Alabama vs Missouri by 14
Kansas State @ Baylor by 10
Florida State vs Georgia Tech by 4
Wisconsin vs Ohio State by 10
Fresno State @ Boise State by 10

Big spreads, because I'm expecting teams to turn it on towards the end of the game to try and earn some style points.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
News Flash

Big name coaches know Nebraska isn't a top job anymore. Add in that they see a dude who won 9 games every year was fired, and it was a no brainer to stay away.

I'm supposedly a crazy person who knows nothing after arguing this in the last thread.

Late to the party but Mike Riley to Nebraska? Interesting. I know there was talk of Oregon State trying to figure out how to move on from probably their most successful coach ever, but I didn't expect a bigger school to hire him away.

From Nebraska's perspective I don't get this. I know Riley was hot 15 years ago when the NFL and USC wanted him but since then he's gone 85-66 which is a .563 ish winning percentage. He's never finished first and he's only finished ranked 4 times in 11 years.

The upside I guess is he's never had much controversy (other than his long ago flirtation with the NFL and USC) and he doesn't ruffle feathers like Bo Pelini. He has produced some decent NFL talent, but never enough at once to be a serious contender in the Pac 10/12.

I wonder who Oregon State goes after? Probably an internal coordinator promotion.

Second Return to Oregon State[edit]
The night of December 4, 2014 Nebraska Cornhusker fans stormed the Athletic Director's office, seized Shawn Eichorst, tarred and feathered him, and sent him running out of town chasing him with pitchforks and torches. Mike Riley wisely decided against going to Nebraska, and asked for his job back as the Ducks head coach.

Wikipedia hijinx.

Nebraska certainly got a small name coach in Mike Riley. Alabama has an equally small name coach in Nick Saban.

Duke's David Cutcliffe has them both beat by 5 letters.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
send help, I've gotten stuck in Statistic Mode

Scoring Offense Minus Scoring Defense results, from 2008-2014, in Points Per Game Difference (or how 2013 Florida State loved scoring 80 points on Idaho Northeastern State)

Date Column is Descending Order in averaged Value, meaning "Best Team down to Worst Team"

Fucking B1G is a gigantic wad of shit

SEC
adLP6Fr.jpg

ACC
7yYnp6L.jpg

XII
f6VaJwj.jpg

B1G
NtZUtwu.jpg

PAC
6BSzDxS.jpg

Top 10 over the 8 years overall:
  1. Alabama
  2. Oregon
  3. Boise State
  4. TCU
  5. Florida State
  6. Ohio State
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Oklahoma State
  10. LSU

KingGondo

Banned
Mike Riley is a weird hire for Nebraska. They should have gotten somebody like Gundy or even Bronco Mendenhall
Gundy feels like he'll never leave at the moment. A month ago, I thought there was a good chance he'd head to Florida.

This season has taken some of the shine off, plus he has been almost hostile to the local media (not that I blame him). His new hires have been questionable and have made some wonder whether Holgorsen was the secret to his greatest successes.

At the same time, Boone won't even give him a public vote of confidence.

Weird situation all around.

cdyhybrid

Late to the party but Mike Riley to Nebraska? Interesting. I know there was talk of Oregon State trying to figure out how to move on from probably their most successful coach ever, but I didn't expect a bigger school to hire him away.

From Nebraska's perspective I don't get this. I know Riley was hot 15 years ago when the NFL and USC wanted him but since then he's gone 85-66 which is a .563 ish winning percentage. He's never finished first and he's only finished ranked 4 times in 11 years.

The upside I guess is he's never had much controversy (other than his long ago flirtation with the NFL and USC) and he doesn't ruffle feathers like Bo Pelini. He has produced some decent NFL talent, but never enough at once to be a serious contender in the Pac 10/12.

I wonder who Oregon State goes after? Probably an internal coordinator promotion.

Wikipedia hijinx.

Maybe OSU tries to keep Mark Banker? Unless Riley gives him a huge raise to go to Nebraska with him.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
For shits and giggles, here's EVERYONE
UF42Yin.jpg

Guess who that lonely team at the bottom in 2014 is.

It's SMU

cashman

Banned
Gundy feels like he'll never leave at the moment. A month ago, I thought there was a good chance he'd head to Florida.

This season has taken some of the shine off, plus he has been almost hostile to the local media (not that I blame him). His new hires have been questionable and have made some wonder whether Holgorsen was the secret to his greatest successes.

At the same time, Boone won't even give him a public vote of confidence.

Weird situation all around.
Yeah things seem like they're starting to get sour over there, which is why I thought he'd jump ship.

Jhriad

1) LOL Nebraska. Riley ain't bringing back the 90's.

No one will ever go 60-3 over a period of 5 years again. I don't care who's coaching or where they're at.

Does Nebraska have alot of returning players next year?

Offense will be losing it's biggest WR and RB but overall we've got a lot of returning talent especially on defense. Legitimately 4-5 NFL prospects on that defense.

No thanks on Gundy. I was honestly expecting Kyle Whittingham to be the hire.

Jhriad

Gil Brandt
@Gil_Brandt
Bret Bielema was offered #Nebraska job yesterday but decided to stay at #Arkansas.

Fuck me

Wut.

If true, it's time to start looking for a new AD. Burt's scheme would work great here but he doesn't have the character required for Nebraska and certainly isn't a better integrity hire than keeping Pelini would have been.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah things seem like they're starting to get sour over there, which is why I thought he'd jump ship.
I don't think anyone at a better program (which there aren't many of) wants him right now.

I think he wants to be at OSU, but he hates working for Holder and Boone's attitude isn't helping.

Hopefully we get some fresh faces in the coaching staff next season and have a bounceback year (which is certainly possible with our schedule and returning talent). That's the best outcome for everyone.

Why would Dan Mullen leave an up and coming 2nd tier SEC school for a downward trending 2nd tier B1G school? Aside from money of course.
Because the "downward-trending 2nd tier B1G school" is one the greatest programs of all time?

That would be my reason if I were a coach.

Edit: Don't like the Riley hire but good luck Huskers.

No one will ever go 60-3 over a period of 5 years again. I don't care who's coaching or where they're at.

Wouldn't be so sure. After this season, FSU will be 41-2 over the last three seasons. Could they go 19-1 the rest of the way? Would be a stretch but their recruiting classes portend very good things. Jimbo is the next Osborne. And if you want to discount their 12-2 2012 season, then they'll be 29-0 with three seasons left.

My reaction to the Mike Riley hiring is exactly the same as the Bo firing.

Initially - "WTF, that's stupid"

Upon some further research/understanding - "Okay, I get it."

Don't get me wrong, Eichorst is still taking a bit of a leap of faith here, but I'm increasingly okay with it.

Go Big Red.

Riley's a good coach. He has shit for recruiting at Oregon State and they still stay respectable.

The key thing is: he gets his classes to overachieve. Also important: he knows how to make do with less.

With good recruiting at Nebraska they should be in good hands. It all comes down to whether the Nebraska name is worth shit to kids these days. If it isn't, Riley should at least keep the team from stinking up the joint.

KingGondo

Banned
Because the "downward-trending 2nd tier B1G school" is one the greatest programs of all time?

That would be my reason if I were a coach.

Edit: Don't like the Riley hire but good luck Huskers.
I was talking to my Michigan fan friend at lunch today, and we settled on Gary Patterson as the best candidate for Michigan.

I think he'd do great things there. Defensive-minded player's coach with a great record of success (even a Rose Bowl win!).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I was talking to my Michigan fan friend at lunch today, and we settled on Gary Patterson as the best candidate for Michigan.

I think he'd do great things there. Defensive-minded player's coach with a great record of success (even a Rose Bowl win!).
Michigan should just back a brinks truck up to Meyer's house. That would be their best hire for the sheer hilarity that would unfold.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Riley's a good coach. He has shit for recruiting at Oregon State and they still stay respectable.

The key thing is: he gets his classes to overachieve. Also important: he knows how to make do with less.

With good recruiting at Nebraska they should be in good hands. It all comes down to whether the Nebraska name is worth shit to kids these days. If it isn't, Riley should at least keep the team from stinking up the joint.

Kind of my thoughts on this hire. I hope he makes the program a contender again, but we won't know for a couple of years, I guess. Here is hoping for no break-in period... my heart can't take any more really bad years by the Huskers.

andycapps

KingGondo said:

The best candidate in my mind is Miles. I don't see why he wouldn't leave as long as they don't make it public prior to him agreeing and they're willing to pay whatever it takes. He's a Michigan Man™ and he's done what he can in the SEC, might as well go to the B1G where he has a better chance of success if he can right the ship which seems possible given his past.

KingGondo

Banned
The best candidate in my mind is Miles. I don't see why he wouldn't leave as long as they don't make it public prior to him agreeing and they're willing to pay whatever it takes. He's a Michigan Man™ and he's done what he can in the SEC, might as well go to the B1G where he has a better chance of success if he can right the ship which seems possible given his past.
Either Miles or Patterson would be a success there.

Hard to imagine Patterson in maize and blue though. It blew my mind when I found out he's been at TCU (as DC then as HC) since 1998.

Cyan said:
The grass is always greener...
Oh shit, I just remembered Michigan has artificial turf. Probably a dealbreaker for Les.

I like that name a lot. I wanted him in 2011 too. Really good case for him never leaving TCU, though. He's a legend there and Texas is down.

andycapps

The grass is always greener...

It sure is..

Either Miles or Patterson would be a success there.

Hard to imagine Patterson in maize and blue though. It blew my mind when I found out he's been at TCU (as DC then as HC) since 1998.

Oh shit, I just remembered Michigan has artificial turf. Probably a dealbreaker for Les.

Oh man, you're right. Artificial turf might be a deal breaker.

I doubt Michigan gets either of them, I just think that Miles is probably the most likely one and probably the most sure bet. I think Michigan ends up with a mid major guy, or promoting a coordinator from a major program.

I think Michigan ends up with a mid major guy, or promoting a coordinator from a major program.

They just did that. Harbaugh or not, they're gonna make a big splash here. Hiring your third guy in eight years is not "find a diamond in the rough" time, it's "we'll make you the highest paid coach in the country" time. Everyone paying attention is aware of this, and why Harbaugh & Miles can be the top candidates in the first place - they're primed to pay top dollar for a big fish on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom