• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

yes. tv.

tv wants bama vs fsu. that game, if played in the south especially, would have enormous pull.

meanwhile oregon vs ohio state is a "traditional" Pac vs b1g matchup.

rankings will be:
1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. FSU
4. Ohio State

book it.

I expect this to be the seeding as well, and for the same reasons.

Sorry, Big 12.

MIMIC

Banned
B4OoyRiIUAAG3rD.jpg

No. 4 is holding the camera

Draconian

yes. tv.

tv wants bama vs fsu. that game, if played in the south especially, would have enormous pull.

rankings will be:
1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. FSU
4. Ohio State

book it.

It could just as easily be

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. Ohio State
4. FSU

Less teams would move that way, but it really doesn't matter. Like mre said, the committee will just use 3 and 4 for whoever they want to match up against Bama and Oregon.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
yes. tv.

rankings will be:
1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. FSU
4. Ohio State

book it.
It will be either this or:

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. OSU
4. FSU

Rankings really don't matter other than who you're paired with.

I agree. It makes no sense to put TCU at 3 one week only to drop them the next week because they only played ISU. Well, you knew they were playing ISU when you put them at 3. What more do you want from them at that point?

Of course, if it turns out that TCU is in the top 4 tomorrow and FSU is out, then I'll pat them on the back for tipping their hand as I requested and then punch them hard in the face for leaving out the undefeated, undisputed, misunderstood reigning national champions (also known as: America's team).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I agree. It makes no sense to put TCU at 3 one week only to drop them the next week because they only played ISU. Well, you knew they were playing ISU when you put them at 3. What more do you want from them at that point?

They've got the excuse of stating that the weekly votes are done from scratch every week.

Basically, we should have just assumed that all these polls they've done, meant nothing. Only tomorrow's should have ever been revealed.

Cloudy

Banned
If they don't want controversy moving forward, they should scrap this commitee bullshit and just use SOS rankings and award the spota that way

Draxal

They've got the excuse of stating that the weekly votes are done from scratch every week.

Basically, we should have just assumed that all these polls they've done, meant nothing. Only tomorrow's should have ever been revealed.

Basically what Pete Thamel said this morning, blamed it all on ESPN.

mre

I get that, I was just agreeing with Randolph that there would be no logic to it. It would be the committee essentially admitting that they had no idea they could take a look at the teams' schedules to see who the played this week. "Shiiiiit, if we knew TCU only played Iowa State this week, we'd never have put them third."

Draconian

If they don't want controversy moving forward, they should scrap this commitee bullshit and just use SOS rankings and award the spota that way

Or don't have the committee give these week by week rankings where at times it feels like they don't know what they're doing.

cashman

Banned
ND loves the deal they have with the ACC so they won't leave it, BYU is a nightmare due to their no playing on Sunday thing. Cincinnati/Memphis makes the most sense if you don't want to cause another WVU incident.

The Big XII is probably the only conference that could tolerate that rule because they desperately need viewers and BYU is the only realistic option they could do that with.
I don't think Memphis would be an option at all since they're at most the 4th most popular team in their own city.

Gorillaz

the talk about the committee wanting what's "best for tv" by putting OSU might be right now that i'm thinking about it even more

That's just a dumb thing to admit to, and frankly a dumb thing to do. It sounds good until you think about it, but then you realize it logically opens up the possibility of a 7-5 team that played really, really, really good in that last week to be in the playoff. The body of work has to mean something, consistency in ranking has to mean something, and the last week of the season doesn't negate everything that happened up to that point.

Be consistent, tip your hand. especially in that next-to-last ranking.

"If the season played out in the best case scenario for all involved..."

cashman

Banned
In the final Coaches Poll of 2008, Briles voted Texas 5th, and Oklahoma 2nd despite both teams having the same record and Texas winning the head to head.

I know how this will sound given my av but I have no issues giving credit where it's due.

Having said that, I don't think FSU is in the top 4 teams in college football. Sure, undefeated, but looking at the season overall, TCU has a better resume to me. Bama, Oregon, TCU and OSU is who I'd have.

I think FSU's first playoff game will confirm this when they get blown out, but, hey, college football is crazy and anything can happen.

thefro

I don't think anyone would nearly give as much of a fuck about fringe top 10 teams getting snubbed then potential top 5 teams though, which is what we have currently

Yep. With an eight-team playoff you could give the 5 conference champs an automatic bid, plus anyone else who ran the table with a non-CUSA-level schedule would likely get as an at-large.

Win your conference and you're in.

But what about No. 9? :)
well having a debate about #9 and arguing over the pool of 2 loss teams is obviously much better than #5 and the pool of 1 loss teams.

Considering how long we stuck with the BCS, I'm not hopefully this will open their eyes tho
Yep. With an eight-team playoff you could give the 5 conference champs an automatic bid, plus anyone else who ran the table with a non-CUSA-level schedule would likely get as an at-large.

that's a bingo

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
In the final Coaches Poll of 2008, Briles voted Texas 5th, and Oklahoma 2nd despite both teams having the same record and Texas winning the head to head.

ouch

OUCH

This needs to be on TV with a sinister (and likely photoshopped) picture of Briles with ominious music playing.

After watching a bunch of Alpha House the last week, and it's abundant fake political ads, all I can think of is having this ad aired in the same way :lol

mre

But then you have the Big 12 finish with 5 teams with 2 conference losses each and Bob Bowlsby blathering about how "they're ALL our champions."

Kacar

What are the laws against manslaughter if I murder Mark May.

He picked Wiscy today now thy are wretched and we beat nobody.

Strict manslaughter.

Balphon

AHHH so Oregon picks Pasadena and Bama picks Super dome. so in a sense it is set.

I think we are in but am dying inside, somebody reassure me.

edit: or FSU picks super dome. same thing.

Putting tOSU in against Oregon makes sense for TV and is reasonable from a pure competition perspective. Big 10/Pac 12 is the traditional Rose Bowl pairing and the two teams have a common opponent this season (MSU) plus enough of a national buzz to keep people engaged.

The same is pretty much true of Bama/FSU, even down to the common opponent (Florida).

HeySeuss

This is how it should be. And soon how it will be.

mre

Just read this out loud to my sister, who told me that Briles has already pulled the SID card on this factoid, claiming he didn't actually fill out his ballot. :jnc

Ryuuroden

That is what everyone is missing. The rankings are based on the week played plus the past. Last week OSU played Michigan and TCU played whoever they played and Florida State played like shit. This week TCU played a 2 win team and OSU played a #13 ranked team. and beat them 59-0 in a championship game. if they do it from scratch like they said they would then they would probably put Florida State 3, OSU 4, TCU 5 or 6 and Baylor 5 or 6. OSU is 12-1, TCU is 11-1 and played no championship game this week. There's a whole lot more that can be said. Basically the point is, the only people who are wrong are the ones who say that any one of those 6 don't deserve to be in it. There are good arguments for all the teams to be one of the four.

cashman

Banned
The real problem with dropping TCU is that they were already ranked ahead of Florida St. who played shaky again. If FSU has been dropping because they've looked awful in their wins how do they jump ahead of TCU if it was just the same story this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom