• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Well, they certainly have a better case to make now.

Still wouldn't work, NCAA wouldn't make an exception to this ... and the other four aren't going to give the b12 that option in the breakaway rules, it works out so well in their favor.

My ideal situation would have Ville/Cincinnati in the b12, with Uconn sliding in the ACC and everybody would be happy.

Kevtones

I wonder if Mariota has a chance to win the first unanimous Heisman? Ron Dayne will probably fuck things up and vote for Gordon.

Kacar

The weekly rankings are just to get people talking and hyped up for college football. Its stupid.

"Could an undefeated FSU be dropped out?"

"Is TCU a lock?"

"3 SEC west teams in if it started today"

"Bama at 5, how mad can we make Finebaum's callers this week?"

"The suspicion of leaving V.Tech out all year even though they have a road win over a top 10 team"

Still wouldn't work, NCAA wouldn't make an exception to this ... and the other four aren't going to give the b12 that option in the breakaway rules, it works out so well in their favor.

My ideal situation would have Ville/Cincinnati in the b12, with Uconn sliding in the ACC and everybody would be happy.

Cincinnati would obviously jump at the chance to get back in a power conference, but there's no way Looahvull jumps conferences again so soon. They might not even be able to even if they wanted to.

MIMIC

Banned
I would agree, but why rank TCU #3? That made no fucking sense if they didn't feel that TCU was the 3rd best team, and it turns out they didn't. Bcause TCU did nothing to hurt their status.
I think Baylor got hosed, but the TCU shenanigans are inexplicable.

They did.....in week 15. This is week 16 (and everyone knew how heavily conference championship games would weigh). But I think the argument can be made that they KNEW TCU wasn't going to play a CC game, and that putting them at No. 3 was a tease. But as a counter-argument, maybe FSU would have lost. Maybe Baylor would have lost. Maybe Ohio State would have lost.

Draxal

Cincinnati would obviously jump at the chance to get back in a power conference, but there's no way Looahvull jumps conferences again so soon. They might not even be able to even if they wanted to.

Yeah, it's not happening. They don't want to they're better of in the ACC; but it's the ideal situation to fix what's going on.

They'll probably settle for Cinci and Memphis (if BYU doesn't work).

Branduil

Now imagine how much the criticism will intensify if Florida State and/or Ohio State gets blown out.

It was always going to end up like this. The lack of foresight in having four-team playoff when there are five power conferences would be astounding if it wasn't par for the course.

Everybody except for the football power players in the ACC that wanted Louisville over UConn in the first place.

UConn would, of course, be extremely happy, but that's about it.

Yeah, it's not happening. They don't want to they're better of in the ACC; but it's the ideal situation to fix what's going on.

They'll probably settle for Cinci and Memphis (if BYU doesn't work).

BYU and Cincy is probably a pretty solid guess.

In any case I bet they get their two schools by the spring. Probably won't be able to officially get them in until 2016, though.

Draxal

Everybody except for the football power players in the ACC that wanted Louisville over UConn in the first place.

UConn would, of course, be extremely happy, but that's about it.

Yeah, it would have made the ACC weaker football conference. Howabout kick out Uconn and take in ND instead?

As an aside,

How would you do divisions for this.

TCU
Baylor
TTech
Texas
Oklahoma
Gondos
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
WVU
BYU
Cincinnatti?

This is the old B12 issue all over again.

Sotha_Sil

For on the field performance over the last few years, UCF, Cincinnati, and BYU are the only options.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

ACC will keep Louisville, thank you very much. No interest in UConn, even if they would be easier to beat in football.

Kacar

Yeah, it would have made the ACC weaker football conference. Howabout kick out Uconn and take in ND instead?

As an aside,

TCU
Baylor
TTech
Texas
Oklahoma
Gondos
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
WVU
BYU
Cincinnatti?

Easy, legends in one, leaders in the other.

Draxal

Baylor's OOC in the future.

SMU
Lamar
Rice

Northwestern State
SMU
Rice

Liberty
UTSA
Duke

UTSA
Duke

Incarnate Word
UTSA
Rice

cashman

Banned
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/ballots/schools/2014/?AID=10709313&PID=6146964&SID=i95l4rkodael

The final coaches poll. Briles was the only one who had bama ranked 4th.

BYU and Cincy is probably a pretty solid guess.

In any case I bet they get their two schools by the spring. Probably won't be able to officially get them in until 2016, though.

I've gotta think UCF gets consideration ahead of Cincy here. UCF offers a potential foot in the door to Florida recruiting and I think they have higher potential as a program than cincy.

Draxal

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/ballots/schools/2014/?AID=10709313&PID=6146964&SID=i95l4rkodael

The final coaches poll. Briles was the only one who had bama ranked 4th.

I've gotta think UCF gets consideration ahead of Cincy here. UCF offers a potential foot in the door to Florida recruiting and I think they have higher potential as a program than cincy.

Cincy is in because they're a bridge to WVU, bringing UCF in like that just causes another WVU situation.

TCU
Baylor
TTech
Texas
Oklahoma
Gondos
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
WVU
BYU
Cincinnatti?

Forget geography. And forget the concept of permanent divisions. Split them up into groups of 6 and rotate the members every couple of years.

I wish they'd do that in the ACC. These big divisions locked into place just mean that conference rivals are really just loose affiliates that never actually play one another.

As an aside,

TCU
Baylor
TTech
Texas
Oklahoma
Gondos
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
WVU
BYU
Cincinnatti?

Texas/Kansas in one, everyone else in the other if they want to have UT-OU championship games. Texas/Oklahoma and everyone else if they want to hope for an Alabama-LSU situation.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Baylor's OOC in the future.

SMU
Lamar
Rice

Northwestern State
SMU
Rice

Liberty
UTSA
Duke

UTSA
Duke

Incarnate Word
UTSA
Rice
2017 before playing "someone" and it's Duke (as plucky as they've been, it's still Duke)
saban.0.gif

KingGondo

Banned

As an aside,

TCU
Baylor
TTech
Texas
Oklahoma
Gondos
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
WVU
BYU
Cincinnatti?

Big 12 North:
Cincy
WVU
BYU
ISU
KU
KSU

Big 12 South:
OSU
OU
UT
TTU
TCU
Baylor

Very imbalanced, just like the old Big 12. Don't really see any other way to do it.

In my dream scenario we'd add Cincy and UCF and put UCF in the South and OSU in the North. :)

Alcibiades

Another thing I think should be kept in mind is how much would a conference championship have actually helped the Big 12 in this specific year?

Let's say Baylor or TCU squeak a win over Oklahoma or Kansas State (or some decent "north" team) - they still don't make it in based on how Ohio State looked against a ranked Wisconsin.

So why even bother with a championship game if it isn't going to help you?

Let's say Georgia Tech beats Florida State, Missouri beats Alabama, and/or Wisconsin beats Ohio State. All of a sudden, having a championship hurts your league's chances.

I hope the Big 12 keeps all this in perspective before looking to add crappy teams. Big 12 championship upsets have burned them in the BCS era and there is no guarantee it would help or hurt them going forward.

Forget geography. And forget the concept of permanent divisions. Split them up into groups of 6 and rotate the members every couple of years.

I wish they'd do that in the ACC. These big divisions locked into place just mean that conference rivals are really just loose affiliates that never actually play one another.

Permanent divisions work in some conferences and clearly don't in others.

I'm thrilled with the East/West setup in the B1G. It makes complete sense and ensures yearly matchups with U-M, Sparty and State Penn.

The ACC's divisions, on the other hand, have never made any fucking sense to me.

Kacar

So wait, what was the B12s issue with divisions the last time, why can't the good teams be separated?

Is it that all the Texas teams need to be in one therefore placing OU and OSU in there for rivalries also?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Galloway just saying "OSUn will just use Zone to shut down Cooper"

smh. Alabama will just run OSUn to death, and Cooper will still get his catches, because he'll constantly be in motion, in the slot, and coming out of the backfield.

OSUn will need Sims to play as badly as he did against Arkansas or Ole Miss. Which can happen.

So wait, what was the B12s issue with divisions the last time, why can't the good teams be separated?

Is it that all the Texas teams need to be in one therefore placing OU and OSU in there for rivalries also?

Not enough teams to split into divisions

Draxal

Don't think they can do this, otherwise Swofford would have already done so (and I'm pretty sure he tried and got denied).

Draxal

Permanent divisions work in some conferences and clearly don't in others.

I'm thrilled with the East/West setup in the B1G. It makes complete sense and ensures yearly matchups with U-M, Sparty and State Penn.

The ACC's divisions, on the other hand, have never made any fucking sense to me.

The Old B12 south loves it's division afterall as well, but the B12 north was salty. It's kinda the same in the B1G with the Big West being a little grumpy, but they're stronger overall than the old B12 north.

Don't think they can do this, otherwise Swofford would have already done so (and I'm pretty sure he tried and got denied).

They floated the idea of just ditching divisions entirely, or taking the top 2 for the CCG regardless of division.

Rearranging the division members every so often shouldn't be an issue, particularly if there's no appearance of trying to stack the deck.

KingGondo

Banned

It's geography. Hard to find a geographic split that results in balanced divisions.

Also, the new Big 12 South would be harder than the old Big 12 South. TCU's an upgrade over Aggy and Baylor and OSU are a lot better programs than they used to be. Plus Texas looks like they're on the way back.

At least there's always Tech.

Draxal said:
The Old B12 south loves it's division afterall as well, but the B12 north was salty.
Wrong. KSU, Colorado, and Mizzou loved the Big 12 North.

They were made so FSU would play Miami in the title game.

Pretty much. It was expected that Miami would be a powerhouse, and Florida State would be a powerhouse, and these two would face each other more often than not for the title.

Since the inception of the ACC CCG, Miami has not appeared even once. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom