• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 15: Championship Week - Cool as Nacho Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

CBS Sports is projecting Houston v. Army in the armed forces bowl.

Army is 4-7

Army has a tie-in to that game, which they obviously won't get since they aren't bowl eligible.

It looks confusing since CBS was/is listing the tie-ins for the slots without confirmed teams.

As an aside, that Bowl has to be the current king of WTF sponsorships. I have no idea what business Lockheed Martin has sponsoring a bowl game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ron Higgins ‏@RonHigg 3m3 minutes ago Baton Rouge, LA
Two airtight sources confirm LSU vs. Notre Dame in Music City Bowl.

Also, please let UT/A&M happen

Billy Liucci ‏@billyliucci 32s32 seconds ago
Per multiple sources: A&M versus West Virginia in Liberty Bowl.

Ugh, fuck you Billy Liucci

Yeah, it's A&M/WVU

Now:
Phil Steele ‏@philsteele042 16m16 minutes ago
East Carolina vs Arkansas in the Birmingham bowl!

Bert going to B-HAM. No Bert, that doesn't stand for Bert Ham. No one wants any Bert Ham. Too Stringy and Cocktail Waitress filled.

jjasper

Tennessee to Gator bowl.

Official SEC PR release:

Allstate Sugar Bowl (New Orleans) - Alabama vs. Ohio State - Jan. 1 - 8:30 pm ET / 7:30 pm CT - ESPN
Capital One Orange Bowl (Miami) - Miss. State vs. Georgia Tech - Dec. 31 - 8 pm ET / 7 pm CT - ESPN
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (Atlanta) - Ole Miss vs. TCU - Dec. 31 - 12:30 pm ET / 11:30 am CT - ESPN

SEC-AFFILIATED BOWLS

Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl (Orlando) - Missouri vs. Big 10/ACC opponent - Jan. 1 - 1 pm ET / Noon CT - ABC

Pool of Six Bowls

Belk Bowl (Charlotte) - Georgia vs. ACC opponent - Dec. 30 - 6:30 pm ET / 5:30 pm CT - ESPN
Outback Bowl (Tampa) - Auburn vs. Big 10 opponent - Jan. 1 - Noon ET / 11 am CT - ESPN2
TaxSlayer Bowl (Jacksonville) - Tennessee vs. Big 10/ACC opponent - Jan. 2 - 3:20 pm ET / 2:20 pm CT - ESPN
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (Nashville) - LSU vs. ACC/Big 10 opponent - Dec. 30 - 3 pm ET / 2 pm CT - ESPN
AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl (Houston) - Arkansas vs. Big 12 opponent - Dec. 29 - 9 pm ET / 8 pm CT - ESPN
AutoZone Liberty Bowl (Memphis) - Texas A&M vs. Big 12 opponent - Dec. 29 - 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT - ESPN

Additional SEC-Affiliated Bowls/p>

Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham) - Florida vs. American opponent - Jan. 3 - 1 pm ET / Noon CT - ESPN/ESPN2
Independence Bowl (Shreveport) - South Carolina vs. ACC - Dec. 27 - 3:30 pm ET / 2:30 pm CT - ABC

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, the fucking playoff committee is a joke.

How can you drop a team from 3 to 6 for a 50 point win?

I can see the argument that TCU shouldn't have ever been 3.... But they basically just told the world 'ignore our weekly rankings because were just throwing shit at the wall'.

In any event, this is good for the power schools. tOSU with a QB of one games experience (albeit a big win) is enough to get it in ahead of pretty proven TCU and Baylor squads.

StoOgE

Texas vs. A&M would have been epic. So of course it's not happening.

Aggy didn't want it. Sec selects schools, we accepted the Texas Bowl. All they had to do was tell the league they weren't afraid to play a team with good defense that can run up the middle.

Lonestar

Pat Dooley ‏@pat_dooley 1m1 minute ago Gainesville, FL
For those wondering, Tennessee is in Jax ahead of UF because Florida has an interim coach. Bowl people considered UF to be 7-5 team, but ...

Maybe this is why things got mixed up.

Seriously, this is proving Twitter to be slightly faulty as a news source.

cdyhybrid

Same with you guys.

Thinking about driving out for the game since Phoenix is so nice that time of year.

We'll see. Let me know if you plan on coming and maybe we can meet up.
Only bowl games I'd travel for right now are Rose and Vegas :p unless I get a raise next week or something, haha.

Aggy didn't want it. Sec selects schools, we accepted the Texas Bowl. All they had to do was tell the league they weren't afraid to play a team with good defense that can run up the middle.

Yep, this would be my guess.

An A&M bowl loss to Texas could be a huge recruiting boon for the Horns, so Aggy wants to avoid such a scenario entirely.

Alcibiades

Not sure I'm buying that A&M didn't want it. The students, fans, and influential alumni want it. I'm guessing the players and coaches want it it too. Which administrator would want to stop it? AD? Chancellor?

JUST STUPID.

Lonestar

Quite a few fellow Tennessee fans had already brought tickets to the Liberty bowl.

:jnc

Think of it this way, Tamanon, it's been 21 years since Florida was in Legion Field, beating up on Alabama in the final SEC CCG in Birmingham. Time for ECU to get revenge for us.

PS: I was at that game, 12 or 13 years old. That was a cold, rainy, miserable game.

Since Florida won't have a coach in Birmingham, I know of a coach without a team in Birmingham.

StoOgE

Not sure I'm buying that A&M didn't want it. The students, fans, and influential alumni want it. I'm guessing the players and coaches want it it too. Which administrator would want to stop it? AD? Chancellor?

JUST STUPID.

You match up horribly against Texas. We have a really good defense and can run the ball up the middle.

We accepted the Texas Bowl last night, so the SEC knew where we were if they wanted the matchup.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really haven't seen Iowa play, what is the low down on the Hawkeyes this year? A quick google search showed me that they gave both Nebraska and Wisconsin a run for their money at least.

Alcibiades

Yep, this would be my guess.

An A&M bowl loss to Texas could be a huge recruiting boon for the Horns, so Aggy wants to avoid such a scenario entirely.

Both schools are going to have good classes for the foreseeable future, how much of a boon could it be? The recruiting argument to stop a game just doesn't make sense.

Tons of rivalry games all over the country are lost by teams that end up with good recruits (whether favored or underdog). While a loss to Texas combined with poor running of a program over the course of a couple of years might have a strong effect, one loss to a rival isn't the be-all end-all in recruiting.

Otherwise Tennesse, Georgia, and Auburn would never have a shot looking at all the rivalry games they've lost over the last decade.

KingGondo

Banned
Only bowl games I'd travel for right now are Rose and Vegas :p unless I get a raise next week or something, haha.
I hear ya.

My enthusiasm is so damn high for this bowl it's crazy. I didn't think we had any hope of making one plus beating OU in Norman has me hyped. My excitement will probably wear off in a couple of days, haha.

Yeah, it sounds fun in theory but in reality it's an expensive few days off.

Lonestar

Just to let you know that something odd happened at the last minute, the Liberty Bowl accidentally put out this press release,

Bowl game announcement: Tennessee accepts bid to AutoZone Liberty Bowl
JASON HALL
December 7, 2014 @ 4:22pm

SHARE ARTICLE
TWEET ARTICLE

Editor's Note: A Jacksonville, Fla., newspaper has issued a conflicting report placing Tennessee in the TaxSlayer Bowl. The NCAA's official website, Phil Steele and others had initially reported the Vols to the Liberty Bowl.

The Tennessee Volunteers (6-6, 2-5 SEC) have accepted a bid to play in the 2014 AutoZone Liberty Bowl on Saturday, December 29, 2014 in Memphis, Tenn. The Vols will face the West Virginia Mountaineers (7-5, 5-4 Big 12) for the first time in program history.

Tennessee is undefeated in three previous Liberty Bowl appearances, making its last appearance in 1986. The Vols defeated Minnesota 21-14.

The Liberty Bowl's associate executive director, Harold Graeter, told the Knoxville News Sentinel Thursday that the game's representatives wanted Tennessee.

"We've made it very clear that Tennessee is the team we want," Graeter said. "We've been following Tennessee since Signing Day. We visited with (Tennessee coach Butch Jones) and (athletic director) Dave Hart throughout the spring, summer and fall. We went to five UT games. We've been very visible and very out front about the team we'd like to have. There's no secret about the team that we want."

Tamanon

Banned
9.5 hours to Birmingham. If I wasn't moving the following week and needing to conserve time/money, I'd be there. I bet it's full of Gator fans though.

Alcibiades

You match up horribly against Texas. We have a really good defense and can run the ball up the middle.

We accepted the Texas Bowl last night, so the SEC knew where we were if they wanted the matchup.

Does anyone really care about how one matches up? These are exhibition games with little tangible outcomes.

Might as well have it mean something by bringing the rivalry back. Also, rivalry games can be especially weird where it doesn't matter what the match up looks like.

That said, Arkansas-Texas should be fun and is a heated rivalry all on it's own.

lush

Thank goodness we turned down the Liberty Bowl. Feel much better about a matchup with Iowa. Not in Memphis, better payout, and after New Year's Day just icing on the cake.

Alcibiades

Just to let you know that something odd happened at the last minute, the Liberty Bowl accidentally put out this press release,

Not that that SEC owes the Liberty bowl anything, but after all the flattery they should have given them Tennessee.

A&M will travel well but it is not a matchup anyone is particularly excited to see.

jakncoke

Banned
So penn st playing bc at yankee stadium, interesting

edit; tickets starting at 65 to see a shitty penn st team and bc ? lol

Kacar

I really haven't seen Iowa play, what is the low down on the Hawkeyes this year? A quick google search showed me that they gave both Nebraska and Wisconsin a run for their money at least.

Their D line is good. which is bad for UT.

But their O is just hideous, all run, run, pa TE corner all day every day.

Bucknut did anyone predict the playoffs correctly in your preseason spreadsheet. The final 4 all consisted of teams you could expect making it preseason so surely someone called it right

Lonestar

4wIi4uF.jpg

This looks final. All teams bolded.

Lonestar

Bucknut did anyone predict the playoffs correctly in your preseason spreadsheet. The final 4 all consisted of teams you could expect making it preseason so surely someone called it right

I only got Alabama and FSU in. In the CCG, I didn't have the right "Losers" in the ACC and SEC, whiffed on the B1G and PAC completely, and did have Baylor winning the XII (which may or may not be correct, depending on their Commish)

Draxal

So penn st playing bc at yankee stadium, interesting

edit; tickets starting at 65 to see a shitty penn st team and bc ? lol

PSU was locked for this for a long time, but yeah first bowl game for you team in a long time so the prices are going to go up.

StoOgE

Both schools are going to have good classes for the foreseeable future, how much of a boon could it be? The recruiting argument to stop a game just doesn't make sense.

Tons of rivalry games all over the country are lost by teams that end up with good recruits (whether favored or underdog). While a loss to Texas combined with poor running of a program over the course of a couple of years might have a strong effect, one loss to a rival isn't the be-all end-all in recruiting.

Otherwise Tennesse, Georgia, and Auburn would never have a shot looking at all the rivalry games they've lost over the last decade.

Yeah, but your team is using swagcopters and #wrts to recruit off the idea that a bunch on inbred yokels in college station are somehow the new hot team in the state with barbershops and haircuts.

Texas blasting Aggy in a bowl game sort of ruins that.

We shall know at my 12:45 revaluation show. Currently threeballz sits in 3rd!!!

But for real, I'll complile tonight and post qhen new thread goes up. (Read: hurry ur ass up mre)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom