• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 2: Everyone Exposed but Idaho (and UCF, but they got Sandusky'd)

Jerbs

How is Arizona only a 7 point favorite over UT San Antonio? I would take AU in a heartbeat. They will win by 17 at least, book it.

It's a low risk, high reward line for the gamblers. How many people are really laying down big money for Arizona vs UTSA? Arizona should cover, easily.

bachikarn

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 4
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 4
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 7
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 4
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 7
Michigan State @ Oregon by 7
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 7
BYU @ Texas by 4
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 7
Colorado State @ Boise State by 7

How is Arizona only a 7 point favorite over UT San Antonio? I would take AU in a heartbeat. They will win by 17 at least, book it.

Yeah sticks out like a soar thumb; it even opened at 8 so it's going down!? AZ gained more yards than other any team in week one. Nooooo idea what's going on there. AZ, 48-20 or something I'd say. 7 points? wtf.

Yeah sticks out like a soar thumb; it even opened at 8 so it's going down!? AZ gained more yards than other any team in week one. Nooooo idea what's going on there. AZ, 48-20 or something I'd say. 7 points? wtf.

UTSA is riding a 6 game win streak dating back to last year, and they completely manhandled UH last week. Also, its UTSA's home opener. I don't think the line is as odd as some people think. Guess we'll find out Thursday

UTSA is riding a 6 game win streak dating back to last year, and they completely manhandled UH last week. Also, its UTSA's home opener. I don't think the line is as odd as some people think. Guess we'll find out Thursday

Yeah I also read they're loaded with seniors, and Vegas always knows shit we don't. Still seems crazy.

My multi this week:

Arizona straight
Missouri straight
Stanford straight
Michigan State +13.5pts
Ohio St straight
Texas Straight
Notre Dame straight

Its a $10 bet for 18.90 to 1.

I was sort of confident in it until the Texas guys got suspended today.

thefro

It's weird when your team plays the 1st week and then is off week 2.

I guess at least we're not Cincinnati... they don't play their first game until week 3.

5 years ago yesterday this happened! ahhh time flies

blount_punch.gif

jakncoke

Banned
5 years ago yesterday this happened! ahhh time flies

blount_punch.gif

Fucking Blount. And nearly 5 years to the date, he corrupted Bell and now both are probably going to get some games suspended under new stricter policies

Yeah I also read they're loaded with seniors, and Vegas always knows shit we don't. Still seems crazy.

How are they loaded with seniors in their 3 year of ever having a football program? Did they get a bunch of cast offs from other schools?

andycapps

GoPro on a UGA Redcoat band snare drum. Pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/4DaeGyqca1o

UGA's OL vs Vic Beasley. Was actually pretty impressed with this matchup on our OT, John Theus. He won the majority of the battles, particularly in run blocking and even moreso as the game went on. I think Theus has work to do in pass blocking, but he's playing his natural position at LT so it's time for him to start earning that 5 star rating he had 3 years ago.

http://youtu.be/DCFkiUIQ6mo

KingGondo

Banned
And well played Gondo. I was rooting for you guys. That was a great showing. That much new talent, and giving FSU quite the scare.
If we didn't have such a tough finish to our schedule I'd think we have a real chance to win the conference.

As it stands I'm not confident enough in our QB play to be fully gung-ho, but there's always a chance. Bedlam could easily decide the Big 12 title yet again.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
GBR!

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 10
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 18
Navy @ Temple by 9
Fresno State @ Utah by 14
USC @ Stanford by 7
Maryland @ South Florida by 16
Michigan State @ Oregon by 10
BYU @ Texas by 7
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 17
Colorado State @ Boise State by 5

Ah, Boomer Sooner. Music to my ears...
Let me at least un-junior myself before I release the OU rhetoric.

And well played Gondo. I was rooting for you guys. That was a great showing. That much new talent, and giving FSU quite the scare.

♫ We don't know the words, we don't know the words, we don't know the words, we don't know the words! ♫

JCX

Welcome back, comrade!

The screens have changed everything. Where are you sitting?

Lower corner, section 19. Also realized this is my first time going outside of the student section. Will be weird sitting at a football game.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 8
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 9
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 6
Navy @ Temple by 8
Fresno State @ Utah by 8
USC @ Stanford by 9
Maryland @ South Florida by 10
BYU @ Texas by 10
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 14

Via Twitter:
Twitter said:
Notre Dame announces home-and-home against Ohio State for 2022 & 2023.

Psychological warfare at it's finest.

Lower corner, section 19. Also realized this is my first time going outside of the student section. Will be weird sitting at a football.

Nice, I'm kitty-corner in Section 2, the old family section. You'll be sitting more no-doubt but there are enough of the right type of fans to get everyone off their butts when it counts.

andycapps

Kansas State @ Iowa State by 12
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 10
USC @ Stanford by 6
Michigan State @ Oregon by 4
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 6
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 12
Colorado State @ Boise State by 6

Yeeeeeeees bring it on domers!

2022/2023 to be a good OOC year, play both Texas and Notre Dame those years, 3rd game in 2022 is BC.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 17
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 6
Navy @ Temple by 17
Fresno State @ Utah by 3
USC @ Stanford by 21
Maryland @ South Florida by 4
Michigan State@ Oregon by 3
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 10
BYU @ Texas by 24
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 3
Colorado State @ Boise State by 14

tokkun

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 8
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 8
Navy @ Temple by 7
Fresno State @ Utah by 11
USC @ Stanford by 4
Michigan State @ Oregon by 7
BYU @ Texas by 7
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 4

KingGondo

Banned
Expand the playoff to 8 teams, mandate that power 5 conferences can only play other power 5 teams in non-conference play.

CFB would be an absolute blast with those rule changes.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Have to love headline writers.

Article title: UTEP QB has 'personal vendetta' against Kingsbury

Article content:
When asked about facing his former OC, Showers said he had a "personal vendetta" to settle against Texas Tech and Kingsbury in Week 2. But come game week Showers has had nothing but positive things to say about the Red Raider's Head Coach.

"Whenever I first got here (UTEP) he called me to see how I was doing and how I was adjusting, Showers said. "From the get-go, whenever I left (Texas) A&M he was all for me trying to help me out. He pretty much did everything he could as far as calling coaches and trying to put my name out there. He helped me a lot."

Fucking Blount. And nearly 5 years to the date, he corrupted Bell and now both are probably going to get some games suspended under new stricter policies

How are they loaded with seniors in their 3 year of ever having a football program? Did they get a bunch of cast offs from other schools?

This is their 4th year of football actually, and some of the seniors have been there since they started football practices in 2009. I want to say that their Center is a 6th year senior.

Torlain

Banned
(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 7
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 14
Navy @ Temple by 10
Fresno State @ Utah by 3
USC @ Stanford by 7
BYU @ Texas by 7
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 3

Draxal

Expand the playoff to 8 teams, mandate that power 5 conferences can only play other power 5 teams in non-conference play.

CFB would be an absolute blast with those rule changes.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I like the only 4 team playoffs. I think the regular seasons loses its luster when a 11-2/10-3 teams can get in the playoffs.

This is their 4th year of football actually, and some of the seniors have been there since they started football practices in 2009. I want to say that their Center is a 6th year senior.

Not a surprise. There are two requirements for admission at UTSA: 1) Pulse. 2) Ability to pay state tuition rate (and even that is a stretch...)

Kansas State @ Iowa State by 7
Navy @ Temple by 6
Fresno State @ Utah by 10
USC @ Stanford by 4
Michigan State @ Oregon by 14
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 10
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 10

andycapps

I guess I'm in the minority here but I like the only 4 team playoffs. I think the regular seasons loses its luster when a 11-2/10-3 teams can get in the playoffs.

I think you're still going to see that happen occasionally. I think we'll go to 8 team playoff as soon as they're able to. Beyond that, and I agree with you.

I want an 8 team playoff with a double bye, so the top 2 ranked teams in the nation will already be in the semi finals. 2 teams will already have a spot in the quarter finals, and the remaining 4 teams will have to play in the first round. That way, there is still a ton of incentive to make sure every regular season game counts because although the 4 teams in the first round have a chance to win the national championship, the road is going to be much tougher than the 2 teams already in the semi's

Draxal

I want an 8 team playoff with a double bye, so the top 2 ranked teams in the nation will already be in the semi finals. 2 teams will already have a spot in the quarter finals, and the remaining 4 teams will have to play in the first round. That way, there is still a ton of incentive to make sure every regular season game counts because although the 4 teams in the first round have a chance to win the national championship, the road is going to be much tougher than the 2 teams already in the semi's

I think double bye is a bad thing for the higher ranked teams, that's way too much time off.

I think double bye is a bad thing for the higher ranked teams, that's way too much time off.

If you got the first round started the week after conference championship week, the wait would be no longer than it is today between last regular season game ----> BCS bowl game

I just did the math for Week 1 of the pick 'em and I got totally hosed. 6 games picked wrong, and of the 6 I picked right I only got MoV on 2. I'm off to a bad start this year.

If you got the first round started the week after conference championship week, the wait would be no longer than it is today between last regular season game ----> BCS bowl game

But BCS bowl games are too long of a wait.

I favor 8, give the teams a week after the CCGs to rest and then play the first two rounds. Then another week off and finally the championship game. To reward the regular season, play the opening round at the home stadiums of the top 4 teams, then go to the semifinal / final format that's in place now.

KingGondo

Banned
It depends on who the losses are to.

Football is a fluky sport, and I don't like seeing great teams punished for 1 or 2 slip-ups.

Last year's 8-team playoff (just going by the AP rankings) would have been:

1 Florida State 13-0
2 Auburn 12-1
3 Alabama 11-1
4 Michigan State 12-1
5 Stanford 11-2
6 Baylor 11-1
7 Ohio State 12-1
8 Missouri 11-2

I don't think anyone would have a problem with those teams making it. Maybe toss UCF in there to appease the small-school crowd.

:LOL actually fuck the Citronauts.

I'm not sure that I'd hop aboard the 8-team playoff bandwagon but I would like to see a 6-team playoff.

In the first round, the 1 and 2 seeds get a bye. Seed 3 plays seed 6 and seed 4 plays seed 5. In the second round, seed 1 plays seed 3/6 and seed 2 plays seed 4/5. Winners advance to the final.

I'm not sure that I'd hop aboard the 8-team playoff bandwagon but I would like to see a 6-team playoff.

In the first round, the 1 and 2 seeds get a bye. Seed 3 plays seed 6 and seed 4 plays seed 5. In the second round, seed 1 plays seed 3/6 and seed 2 plays seed 4/5. Winners advance to the final.

I'd actually be fine with that, as well. It rewards the top 2 seeds and could eliminate an off-week that I had mentally built into a 8 team playoff schedule. Teams seeded 3-6 that are in CCGs get no extra rest.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I think one of the biggest problems with only 4 teams is that there are 5 power conferences. Literally every year someone is going to feel screwed. I think somebody outside of the power conferences finding their way into the playoffs will be rare enough to not be a huge issue but having a single guaranteed rotating power conference left out every year won't last too long, I don't think, and that doesn't go into the very real possibility that two (or more?) could technically be left out.

If there were 4 power conferences and 4 playoff slots, for example, that would be a better fit, for example. Honestly I think that even if there were 6 or more power conferences and you just took 4 it would be better since the "left out" group wouldn't just be continually singling out anybody.

Subitai

I see what you did there:
It depends on who the losses are to.

Football is a fluky sport, and I don't like seeing great teams punished for 1 or 2 slip-ups.

Last year's 8-team playoff (just going by the AP rankings) would have been:

1 Florida State 13-0
2 Auburn 12-1 SEC
3 Alabama 11-1 SEC
4 Michigan State 12-1
5 Stanford 11-2
6 Baylor 11-1
7 Ohio State 12-1
8 Missouri 11-2 SEC

I don't think anyone would have a problem with those teams making it. Maybe toss UCF in there to appease the small-school crowd.

:LOL actually fuck the Citronauts.
SEC SEC SEC

I don't think it was intentional though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
most forgot mah picks

FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 14
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 7
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 10
Navy @ Temple by 10
Fresno State @ Utah by 7
USC @ Stanford by 3
Maryland @ South Florida by 21
Michigan State @ Oregon by 13
BYU @ Texas by 10
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 7
Colorado State @ Boise State by 14[/QUOTE]

So the Bama/FAU game will be on the SEC network, so maybe I'll be on TV.

Draxal

Limit 2 from each major conference.

Unless your conference gets real and plays a round robin schedule, then you can have 4.

Lack of conference champ game is going to kill the B12
playoff hopes
, should have taken ville/cinci/wvu when you had the chance.

cdyhybrid

We'll take Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Okie State and resurrect the MDC. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Top Bottom