• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 4: Jerry was a UCLA Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
It could be a trap game, I just don't know that Kansas State can overcome the talent that Auburn has.
True.

But if anybody can, Snyder can.

(And although this might count as blasphemy, is anyone else a bit tired of the cult of personality around Snyder? He's a great coach and all but I'm tired of every sportswriter in America gargling his old balls.)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
True.

(And although this might count as blasphemy, is anyone else a bit tired of the cult of personality around Snyder? He's a great coach and all but I'm tired of every sportswriter in America gargling his old balls.)
Is it true that they're doing a Bill-Sny out for the game?

Heard on the radio people talking about how no ones educated Winston on how he needs to act and none of this is his fault. Give me a fucking break.

cdyhybrid

Heard on the radio people talking about how no ones educated Winston on how he needs to act and none of this is his fault. Give me a fucking break.

Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever. I think that people need a second chance, and I've always looked up to Jameis, and I always will.

Well if it's not Winston's fault for being uneducated, that in turn makes FSU look pretty bad as an institution doesn't it? He's a STUDENT athlete at an educational institution, and if they want to go that route, then it doesn't look good on FSU

Well if it's not Winston's fault for being uneducated, that in turn makes FSU look pretty bad as an institution doesn't it? He's a STUDENT athlete at an educational institution, and if they want to go that route, then it doesn't look good on FSU

The guy from USA Today on the other end said he spent a lot of time around FSU and they seem oblivious as to why their getting all the national media attention.

andycapps

True.

They act that way because of the state of the program before he came there. Spurrier will be remembered the same way at Sakerlina.

It could be a trap game, I just don't know that Kansas State can overcome the talent that Auburn has.

One thing Ive noticed (and learnt the hard way because it has cost me a lot of money) is that out of conference road games against lower ranked teams (say 10-25th ranked) are the biggest trap games for top 5 teams.

All the pressure is on the top 5 team. That pressure can make talent disappear pretty quickly if they are not prepared for it.

tokkun

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 14
(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by 4
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 7
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 7
Maryland @ Syracuse by 4
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 4
Rutgers @ Navy by 4
Utah @ Michigan by 4
Mississippi State @ LSU by 14
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 8
Clemson @ Florida State by 4
California @ Arizona by 7

andycapps

One thing Ive noticed (and learnt the hard way because it has cost me a lot of money) is that out of conference road games against lower ranked teams (say 10-25th ranked) are the biggest trap games for top 5 teams.

All the pressure is on the top 5 team. That pressure can make talent disappear pretty quickly if they are not prepared for it.
I agree. A lot of teams roll in with big heads and don't have their minds set for the challenge facing them.
There's no such thing as a trap game. There are only under rated and over rated teams.
So you think that top teams perform at peak ability every week regardless of opponent or whether the game is home or away?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Those are "we got beat so we need a cliché excuse" games.
Such as any sugar bowl in the past 6 years.

lAPVINi.gif

So you think that top teams perform at peak ability every week regardless of opponent or whether the game is home or away?

Call me old school, or just old, but I say that if a team loses those games, then by definition they aren't as good as advertised. Part of the make-up of a great team is mental toughness, and another part is good coaching. If you suffer a let-down against a lesser opponent on the road, then the team is lacking one or both. So yeah, call it a trap or whatever, but great teams don't get caught in them.

That said, I wouldn't consider facing a ranked opponent on the road to be such a game. That's a good opponent you're facing in their house and in front of their own fans. While perhaps not expected, it's at least an understandable loss, if suffered. Of course, if they call it a trap, then see the prior paragraph.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Call me old school, or just old, but I say that if a team loses those games, then by definition they aren't as good as advertised. Part of the make-up of a great team is mental toughness, and another part is good coaching. If you suffer a let-down against a lesser opponent on the road, then the team is lacking one or both. So yeah, call it a trap or whatever, but great teams don't get caught in them.

That said, I wouldn't consider facing a ranked opponent on the road to be such a game. That's a good opponent you're facing in their house and in front of their own fans. While perhaps not expected, it's at least an understandable loss, if suffered. Of course, if they call it a trap, then see the prior paragraph.

A team can lose to a team that is worse than them.

GAF Pick'em Week 3 Results and Rankings

Rank [ Change ] User < Score | Total Pts > ( Last Pts / Last Picks )
1 [ &#9660;0 ] Battlezone < 25 | 33 > ( 12 / 8 )

holy shit what

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 4
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 4
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 4
Maryland @ Syracuse by 4
Rutgers @ Navy by 4
Utah @ Michigan by 4
Mississippi State @ LSU by 4
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 4
Clemson @ Florida State by 4
California @ Arizona by 4

And yet it can still be true that the team isn't as good as advertised.

Florida State can't lose to a down Florida in the swamp and be considered great, they just can't. Oklahoma can't lose to Texas this year and be a great team. USC can't lose at Boston College and be... oops, they already did that.

Trap games are only traps for teams that aren't good enough. This is division 1 football, not intramurals.

Edit: At any rate, I've never liked the term "trap game." It's like building in an excuse before even playing the game. (To be fair, a lot of the time, it's the media saying it.) Just go out there and win the game. In D1 FBS football, nothing is guaranteed, and any loss can be the end of the season for a championship contender. Go out and win. If a team can't do it, then they've ceded control of their fates to somebody else. If a team wants to be great, they have to bring it every week and find a way to win those games.

AntoneM

True.

Dude was coach of the returning Big 12 champs last year; opening a newly revised stadium; and, got out coached and out played by an FCS team (NDSU). NDSU did end up winning their 3rd championship in a row that season, but still, a "great" coach doesn't get clowned at home by an FCS team.

KingGondo

Banned
Dude was coach of the returning Big 12 champs last year; opening a newly revised stadium; and, got out coached and out played by an FCS team (NDSU). NDSU did end up winning their 3rd championship in a row that season, but still, a "great" coach doesn't get clowned at home by an FCS team.
To be fair, NDSU is a really good team, and Snyder seems like a decent person.

I'm just growing tired of the deification of coaches and athletes.

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 11
(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by 7
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 14
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 6
Maryland @ Syracuse by 7
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 13
Rutgers @ Navy by 10
Utah @ Michigan by 4
Mississippi State @ LSU by 13
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 11
Clemson @ Florida State by 11
California @ Arizona by 14

LegoDad

To be fair, NDSU is a really good team, and Snyder seems like a decent person.

I'm just growing tired of the deification of coaches and athletes.

Snyder is a great coach and pulls talent from under appreciated athletes, but he will never be taken seriously till he wins it all.

And yet it can still be true that the team isn't as good as advertised.

Florida State can't lose to a down Florida in the swamp and be considered great, they just can't. Oklahoma can't lose to Texas this year and be a great team. USC can't lose at Boston College and be... oops, they already did that.

Trap games are only traps for teams that aren't good enough. This is division 1 football, not intramurals.

Edit: At any rate, I've never liked the term "trap game." It's like building in an excuse before even playing the game. (To be fair, a lot of the time, it's the media saying it.) Just go out there and win the game. In D1 FBS football, nothing is guaranteed, and any loss can be the end of the season for a championship contender. Go out and win. If a team can't do it, then they've ceded control of their fates to somebody else. If a team wants to be great, they have to bring it every week and find a way to win those games.

just because you dont like the term "trap game" doesn't mean the phenomenon of higher ranked teams losing to lower ranked teams because they arent properly focused on the game (my definition of a "trap game") doesnt exist.

And you are right, it is the media saying as if a coach starts to call it a trap game, they are thinking about the possibility of losing.

Also, trap games are relative. You have to consider that Kansas St are the lowest ranked team of the six currently ranked teams that Auburn still have to play this season. It wouldnt be an "understandable loss" for a playoff contender to have - losing to your sixth highest ranked opponent at home or away would be unacceptable. This is why this game is a "trap game" for Auburn in my opinion.

Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 4
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 4
Maryland @ Syracuse by 4
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 7
Rutgers @ Navy by 7
Utah @ Michigan by 4
Mississippi State @ LSU by 10
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 10
Clemson @ Florida State by 10

Results on the field are pretty important and a great way to see who is better.

I think there is a difference between a team and program, though.

Example: Georgia Southern proved they're a better team than Florida. But obviously their program doesn't compare.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Results on the field are pretty important and a great way to see who is better.

I think there is a difference between a team and program, though.

Example: Georgia Southern proved they're a better team than Florida. But obviously their program doesn't compare.

No. This is so obviously wrong that I'm not even sure what to say.

A baseball team is better than another baseball team. The better baseball team often doesn't sweep a series. Weird.

If FSU played UCF a million times, FSU wouldn't win every one. UCF wouldn't win every one. The team who won more could definitely be said to be the better team. But cherry picking one of these trials, it can't be said definitively that the winning team is better.

Georgia Southern probably wouldn't have won 3 out of 10 against Florida last year.

Enfinit

If FSU played UCF a million times, FSU wouldn't win every one. UCF wouldn't win every one.
Are you referring to the Blake Bortles-led UCF Knights that should've been in the national championship last season? Because, yea, UCF would be 1,000,000-0.

Oh right, so the reason USC is playing an SEC esque schedule next year is because aTm backed out of a home and home after they got into the SEC.

No. This is so obviously wrong that I'm not even sure what to say.

A baseball team is better than another baseball team. The better baseball team often doesn't sweep a series. Weird.

If FSU played UCF a million times, FSU wouldn't win every one. UCF wouldn't win every one. The team who won more could definitely be said to be the better team. But cherry picking one of these trials, it can't be said definitively that the winning team is better.

Georgia Southern probably wouldn't have won 3 out of 10 against Florida last year.

Except what you've described is a complete hypothetical that not only wouldn't happen but couldn't happen. You play one game at a time and the better team in that game wins. That's what winning means. Saying a team would win 9 times out of 10 is just using your imagination. This is also why the transitive property of threeballz doesn't work and why pills are so damn tricky. The problem is extrapolating beyond the single game. There are certainly teams that have better total seasons than others, but the old proverb that you have a different team every week is absolutely true.

Games in pretty much any sport are basically pitting two random number generators with different weightings against each other.

Most people describe the "better" team as the one that has the higher weighting. Thus talking about "9 times out of 10, this one would have won." This isn't something that's necessarily easy to figure out, which is why sports talk can be both so heated and so complicated.

Some people describe the "better" team as the one that won. This is... honestly kind of pointlessly reductive. Great, yes, we understand that in fact the winning team was the one that won. That doesn't really get at the heart of the question of which team is "better" in any meaningful way.

Yup. Sports is so entertaining because the game still has to be played, and you don't know for certain who will win. Matchups are better when we aren't "sure" which team is better than the other. And even after the game, we often don't know.

Add in how certain matchups may favor an overall "worse" team and you get a nice mixture of uncertainty that makes the whole thing fun.

MrJames

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 8
(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by 5

Jay Sosa

(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by 6
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 10
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 4
Maryland @ Syracuse by 13
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 9
Rutgers @ Navy by 10
Utah @ Michigan by 6
Mississippi State @ LSU by 4
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 4
Clemson @ Florida State by 14

ag-my001

I really wasn't to pick KState, but I just can't pull the trigger.

Auburn by 7
USF by 7
Va. Tech by 10
Iowa by 4
Maryland by 8
East Carolina by 10
Navy by 4
Utah by 10
LSU by 7
WVU by 7
FSU by 10
Arizona by 14

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 10
(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by 1
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 6
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 7
Maryland @ Syracuse by 10
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 14
Rutgers @ Navy by 10
Utah @ Michigan by 7
Mississippi State @ LSU by 3
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 6

Schmitty

So I was out of town for the last week of games. What did I miss?

(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by 7
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 10
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 9
Maryland @ Syracuse by 9
Rutgers @ Navy by 21
Utah @ Michigan by 7
Mississippi State @ LSU by 10
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 10
California @ Arizona by 4