• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 4: Jerry was a UCLA Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
@OSUCompliance
Boosters and fans: leave the recruiting to the coaches! Tweeting @ prospects is an NCAA violation. #NCAARlz

Love this shit, does the NCAA really expect schools to be able to police fan bases?

KingGondo

Banned
I'm back in the USA bitches. Fortified by gallons of house chianti and pounds of delicious, delicious carbohydrates.

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 14
(FRI) Connecticut @ South Florida by 4
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 4
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 4
Maryland @ Syracuse by 4
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 4
Rutgers @ Navy by 4
Utah @ Michigan by 4
Mississippi State @ LSU by 4
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 4
Clemson @ Florida State by 10
California @ Arizona by 14

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Jesus Christos. That is just un-fucking-believable.
@OSUCompliance
Boosters and fans: leave the recruiting to the coaches! Tweeting @ prospects is an NCAA violation. #NCAARlz

Love this shit, does the NCAA really expect schools to be able to police fan bases?
Yes? I know there is a vast difference between a fan tweeting a recruit and a fan giving the recruit $1,000 (or some tattoos), but they're both actions of a school's "fan base" rather than actions of the university. In both cases, the NCAA expects the school to take some educational and preventative actions.

Jesus Christos. That is just un-fucking-believable.

Is it though? None of this should be shocking after how weve seen this all handled.

Yes? I know there is a vast difference between a fan tweeting a recruit and a fan giving the recruit $1,000 (or some tattoos), but they're both actions of a school's "fan base" rather than actions of the university. In both cases, the NCAA expects the school to take some educational and preventative actions.

Sure to an extent, would love to see some kind of violation coming down for a 12 year old kid tweeting at a player to come to his favorite school.

Cal has Grambling State, SDSU, and Texas. Not too rough looking to me. Texas opens @ Notre Dame in 2015 :/
Out of conference schedule isn't quite as bad as this year (@NW, Sacramento St, BYU), but in conference Cal is skipping Arizona and Utah next year, which are two of the easier teams. The stretch at the end of the season will be very difficult: @UCLA, USC, @Oregon, OSU, @Stanford, ASU.

mre

Is it though? None of this should be shocking after how weve seen this all handled.
Still unbelievable to me, and I'd like to think that makes me not quite as cynical as I sometimes think I am.
Sure to an extent, would love to see some kind of violation coming down for a 12 year old kid tweeting at a player to come to his favorite school.
You won't see that, of course. But OSU still has to take some affirmative steps to educate their fan base that they can point to, shrug, and say we did what we could.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
OSU still has to take some affirmative steps to educate their fan base that they can point to, shrug, and say we did what we could.

Exactly. Everybody involved knows there really isn't anything they can do about it.

I guarantee that the compliance department of every school knows the names of the worst offenders, and the NCAA knows they know the names of the worst offenders, and nothing is done about it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
GAF Pick'em Week 3 Results and Rankings

LiW0ea8.png

Nate Silver/EightThirtyFive, eat your heart out.

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 7
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 4
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 10
Maryland @ Syracuse by 4
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 6
Rutgers @ Navy by 4 Why do I keep picking Rutgers? The world will never know.
Utah @ Michigan by 6 Michigan is awful alert!
Mississippi State @ LSU by 9
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 10
Clemson @ Florida State by 10
California @ Arizona by 6

Yeah fsu are definitely not as strong as last year and Winston looks a little off the boil to me.

If I was a betting man, and I am, I will be steering clear from putting money on this game. This is one of those matches in the acc where you get an upset which I was talking about in the other thread.

Louisville don't seem as good as last year from what I have read, I haven't seen them play though.

I would love it for both nd and fsu going into the last match of the regular season against each other undefeated. That would have a big playoff ramifications! Maybe meet again in the semi

I agree with pretty much all of this. Although FSU, like most teams, was missing some key players in the opener and was shaking off some rust. I don't think that The Citadel game tells us anything about FSU at all. But I agree that at least right now, the Noles don't look quite as solid as they did last season. But who knows? Maybe they've figured it out over the bye week, and hopefully Clemson hasn't.

I don't bet, but if I did I would be tempted to take Clemson +20. I'm thinking that FSU will win but not by that much, probably closer to 10 points than 20. But what do I know? I thought FSU might squeak out a victory last year and they ended up scoring more points than any opponent has in the history of Death Valley.

FSU and ND can't go into the last match of the regular season undefeated... they play on Oct 18 in the middle of the season. But I too hope both are undefeated going into the game.

mre

I agree with pretty much all of this. Although FSU, like most teams, was missing some key players in the opener and was shaking off some rust. I don't think that The Citadel game tells us anything about FSU at all. But I agree that at least right now, the Noles don't look quite as solid as they did last season. But who knows? Maybe they've figured it out over the bye week, and hopefully Clemson hasn't.

I don't bet, but if I did I would be tempted to take Clemson +20. I'm thinking that FSU will win but not by that much, probably closer to 10 points than 20. But what do I know? I thought FSU might squeak out a victory last year and they ended up scoring more points than any opponent has in the history of Death Valley.

FSU and ND can't go into the last match of the regular season undefeated... they play on Oct 18 in the middle of the season. But I too hope both are undefeated going into the game.
I don't think Clempson has the offense or the defense anymore to keep up with FSU, even with the rust.

Winston suspended for the first half. Adjust your point spreads, boys!

Also, maybe we have a snowball's chance in hell now!
We don't

KingGondo

Banned
I agree with pretty much all of this. Although FSU, like most teams, was missing some key players in the opener and was shaking off some rust.
How dare you minimize your win against an Oklahoma State team that lost to a West Virginia team that gave Alabama all they could handle?

Put that shit on your resume and be proud, son.

Wow. Jimbo suspends Winston for the 1st half of the Clemson game for the offensive comment made in public. He is making a pretty big statement to levy such a big punishment in such an important game. Obviously he's trying to teach Winston an important lesson. Had this been another player, or if Winston did not have his history of issues, I can't imagine the punishment would be anything more than a slap on the wrist.

I can't say I disagree with him. I hope Winston takes this to heart.

I guess it's time for FSU to figure out that running game thing.

So FSU, how good is your backup? I suspect with your ridiculous recruiting you have a Deshaun Watson type guy behind Winston that's going to wreck us anyway.

Ganhyun

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 10
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 6
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 6
Maryland @ Syracuse by 4
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 4
Rugters @ Navy by 4
Utah @ Michigan by 4
Mississippi State @ LSU by 10
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 6
Clemson @ Florida State by 14
California @ Arizona by 14

So FSU, how good is your backup? I suspect with your ridiculous recruiting you have a Deshaun Watson type guy behind Winston that's going to wreck us anyway.

Our backups are good enough to play for West Virginia and Alabama, or at least they were until they transferred to West Virginia and Alabama...

Sean Maguire (Red-shirt Soph) is the current QB2. He's a pro-style QB from New Jersey who was ranked 3-stars by Rivals (18th ranked QB) and 4-stars by ESPN (13th ranked QB). FSU lists him at 6'3" and 220lbs.

He's also from like within a half-hour of where I grew up in New Jersey, which is awesome.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Good. Should be suspended for longer for how bad he has made FSU look with all his bullshit. We will see how he reacts to being punished. Somehow i don't think humility will all of the sudden be attained.

andycapps

Wow. Jimbo suspends Winston for the 1st half of the Clemson game for the offensive comment made in public. He is making a pretty big statement to levy such a big punishment in such an important game. Obviously he's trying to teach Winston an important lesson. Had this been another player, or if Winston did not have his history of issues, I can't imagine the punishment would be anything more than a slap on the wrist.

I can't say I disagree with him. I hope Winston takes this to heart.

I guess it's time for FSU to figure out that running game thing.
Yeah, this sure is a stiff punishment for a guy that's never been in trouble before there.

Been saying for a while now theres no way Winston will go hIS career without getting suspended for a whole game, hes a time bomb

NFL Scouts have to be mentally dropping this kid on their draft boards already. I mean if Johnny Football dropped like a brick just for partying, think what that does the Jameis?

Then again Ben Roofiesburger has had a long NFL career.

@OSUCompliance

Based on the Reggie Bush case where they expected USC to police things that happened well off campus and to player's parents, yes.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I hope we get Pender more involved. Karlos has felt slow and too straight ahead, and hasn't been getting the help he needs from the oline.

Good. Should be suspended for longer for how bad he has made FSU look with all his bullshit. We will see how he reacts to being punished. Somehow i don't think humility will all of the sudden be attained.

I feel like if this happened a couple weeks ago, he would've been suspended for the full game against the citadel.

mre

Ditto. Does ttk grab our predictions right after we post them, so we need to note updates? Obviously we can't update once the actual games start, but I wasn't sure.
TTK does whatever TTK damn well feels like doing. Do you think we're living under some sort of yahooian utopia? Get the fuck out of here with that!

Westonian

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(THU) Auburn @ Kansas State by 10
Georgia Tech @ Virginia Tech by 14
Iowa @ Pittsburgh by 6
Maryland @ Syracuse by 6
North Carolina @ East Carolina by 6
Rutgers @ Navy by 4
Utah @ Michigan by 10
Mississippi State @ LSU by 14
Oklahoma @ West Virginia by 21
Clemson @ Florida State by 17
California @ Arizona by 4

Draconian

http://espn.go.com/college-football...clemson-tigers-shouting-obscene-phrase-public

"First of all, I want to apologize to the university, my coaches and to my teammates," Winston said. "I'm not a 'me' person, but in that situation, it was a selfish act and that's not how you do things around here.

"I want to apologize to my teammates because I have now made a selfish act for them. That's all."

"You've got to overcome adversity -- and that's one thing at Florida State we do," Winston said. "We're gonna overcome adversity. And when I do get my opportunity to play, I'll do everything I can.

"That's what eats me up. I wanna be on the field. I did something and I gotta accept my consequences. ... It eats me alive. I can't carry myself that way."

Guys, I think you're missing something very important here.

He made a selfish act FOR his teammates. Which, if you think about it, isn't selfish at all.

Well played, Jameis.

andycapps

Wait. Did he maybe jump up on a table and shout "fuck her right in the pussy" in order to save his nephew from drowning?

Just a thought.
He was trying to reassure his teammates that she was safe to proceed with, he knows when they've got crabs. He's an expert.

Of all the incidents, alleged or otherwise, for Jameis to be involved in, it's funny that a meme is what got him suspended.

Still, let this be another moment for him to hopefully learn that the spotlight is bright and he can't be a knucklehead. Alleged or otherwise.

Heather Dinich retweeted
Danny Kanell ‏@dannykanell 45m
Those saying FSU's punishment is light: If everyone suspended players 4 foul/obscene language there wouldn't be anyone left to play OR coach

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So Duke is rocking these fucking things again this Saturday in honor of the 89 team and OBC

BxrHPqBIQAAKeWZ.jpg

Some people really like design, I do not. Looks like a baseball uniform font.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wait. Did he maybe jump up on a table and shout "fuck her right in the pussy" in order to save his nephew from drowning?

Just a thought.

Think this was more like a Derek Dooley "Shower Washing Class" situation. He's just teaching the masses.

andycapps

Of all the incidents, alleged or otherwise, for Jameis to be involved in, it's funny that a meme is what got him suspended.

Still, let this be another moment for him to hopefully learn that the spotlight is bright and he can't be a knucklehead. Alleged or otherwise.
Like Striker said, the punishment is for the cumulative boneheaded decisions he's made. If anything, this is an admission that the football team should have suspended him previously and possibly a
weak
message that the spotlight is on him and he needs to get his shit together. The latter is also what you said.

Draconian

Danny Kanell covering for an FSU player? You don't say.

mre

Heather Dinich retweeted
Danny Kanell ‏@dannykanell 45m
Those saying FSU's punishment is light: If everyone suspended players 4 foul/obscene language there wouldn't be anyone left to play OR coach
Yes, Danny Kanell. Jameis has been suspended for using foul language. You ding-a-ling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom