• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 6: Michigan Men Play Through Concussions

Jhriad

I don't know about that. The team is still really talented, and I'm interested to see how they'll bounce back.

And even if they don't, we can all continue to collectively screw the B1G over.

No one needs to bother doing that to us. We do a pretty good job of it on our own.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Not inaccurate. The "omg Oregon's offense is fast" mantra has faded. Even Bama is running plays faster now.
We're really not. We have shorter scoring drives which means we have more opportunities to run plays, but we're not running plays faster at all. And this isn't necessarily because we don't want to. As good as Sims has been, he has issues getting the plays called and the team set. Rare is the down that we get the ball snapped with more than 10 seconds left on the clock.

We've gone no huddle this year primarily for the benefit of Sims, rather than for any benefit derived from "going faster". When you run no huddle (and especially when you run it fast and efficiently) everybody generally returns to the same spot they were in for the previous play. It eliminates the need for the QB to call the part of the play that lets everyone know where to line up. What we did against Florida and what we'll probably try to do against Mississippi, is to have Kiffin or an assistant call in the formation while Sims calls out the play.

And even if they don't, we can all continue to collectively screw the B1G over.

We'll see how the commitee works but technically Oregon has a worse loss on their resume than Michigan State does. I think if the Spartans win out they're in, transitive properties be damned. Of course if Corn wins tomorrow they become the chosen.

Draxal

We'll see how the commitee works but technically Oregon has a worse loss on their resume than Michigan State does. I think if the Spartans win out they're in, transitive properties be damned. Of course if Corn wins tomorrow they become the chosen.

Ayup, there's a decent chance that Nebraska could run the table and they would make it to the playoffs with 2 wins over MSU (you are winning the east).

Draxal

I don't recall. Was RichRod boned by Michigan when he was fired? Meaning did he likely not deserve to be fired?

They went from pro set to spread. Which required a total revamping of personnel, he got fired too early in that revamp.

Of course they went back to a proset coach, who had only spread players on the roster.

Richrod did fuck up with the too much practice violation he had.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not picking on you but I HATE this term when applied to seasonal team sports. FSU isn't defending shit, they can't lose their national championship on the field, the team that beats them doesn't become the champion.

The fact that they won a Championship last year, though, helps them out a lot this year IMO. If they end up with one loss I think they still get into the playoff, whereas I think if they didn't have a trophy from last season any loss in that terrible conference would drop them out of contention. Even the B1G has something like 4 or 5 teams ranked.

Any other one loss ACC team wouldn't have a chance in hell, and I would propose that any undefeated ACC team not named FSU or Clemson wouldn't have had a chance to get in.

Also, as you mention that the team that beats the champion doesn't automatically become the champion, I realized that I hadn't checked out the College Football Belt recently. Looks like OU is the current title holder.

ag-my001

This is where the real fun starts. It would be almost impossible to put a one loss SEC non- champion in over an undefeated conference champ. But if all the champs have one (or even two) losses, it'll become a giant mess. Would you put, for instance, a two-loss Michigan State in over an 11-1 SEC west team that only lost to the undefeated champion?

Or that doomsday scenario I saw on sbnation, where the entire SEC west goes 9-3.

Man I love college football.

Draxal

This is where the real fun starts. It would be almost impossible to put a one loss SEC non- champion in over an undefeated conference champ. But if all the champs have one (or even two) losses, it'll become a giant mess. Would you put, for instance, a two-loss Michigan State in over an 11-1 SEC west team that only lost to the undefeated champion?

Or that doomsday scenario I saw on sbnation, where the entire SEC west goes 9-3.

11-1 Sec West team would go over sparty. 9-3 Sec west would only have the champ team go in.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I still think the committee is going to try as hard as they can to get 4 different conferences into the playoff in this first year. Maybe it will change in the future but I think a one- or possibly two-loss champion of a different conference gets in over a non-champ SEC team this time unless the non SEC teams just absolutely shit the bed in their loss(es). If Michigan State's second loss is a one point loss to Nebraska, for example, they might get in, whereas if it's a 30 point loss to Purdue they probably wouldn't.

What would be REALLY interesting is if we have a 12-0 team and an 11-1 team in the SEC West, then the 12-0 team loses in the CCG to a 9-3 or 8-4 SEC East team.

Balphon

I said it last night. Everything is just part of some giant Xanatos gambit that will leave us with an All-SEC West playoff.

inm8num2

I can't imagine how amused RichRod must be by this shitshow in Ann Arbor.

rich-rodriguez.jpg

Lunar15

lol Oregon.

I have a feeling that we're going to reach full shit-show status just in time for the playoff selection. Can't wait.

That site is amazeballs.

So...I was wondering why I didn't hear too much about the University of Virginia football team back in the day. Looking em up...they've had some pretty damn poor football being played there since the 1970s. I mean shit.

Bowl appearances have been spotty. Never went undefeated in the ACC. Quite a few years they only won 1 or 2 games in the ACC.

Yet the school makes a shit ton of $$$ for a public institution, and apparently they place a high amount of importance on athletics.

Seriously...UVA is a poor man's UCLA when it comes to football. Hope they can turn that around.

jjasper

The sec west will have probably 12-0 Bama and 11-1 Auburn at the end and then some 8-4 teams and then Arkansas. The real question will be what happens if Bama loses in the SEC championship game to Georgia and so it is:
12-2 UGA
12-1 Bama
11-1 Auburn

Jhriad

The sec west will have probably 12-0 Bama and 11-1 Auburn at the end and then some 8-4 teams and then Arkansas. The real question will be what happens if Bama loses in the SEC championship game to Georgia and so it is:
12-2 UGA
12-1 Bama
11-1 Auburn

Not seeing Auburn ending the season with just one loss. A&M has at least as good a shot, if not better, at a one loss season.

Enfinit

Not picking on you but I HATE this term when applied to seasonal team sports. FSU isn't defending shit, they can't lose their national championship on the field, the team that beats them doesn't become the champion.
Sure. However, being the previous season's national champion warrants credit. FSU wouldn't be #1 if it weren't for that. They'll likely get into the playoff as a 1-loss team because of it. Whoever does end up beating FSU will be thrust into a national spotlight (see Arizona over Oregon).

You don't become the champion after beating the champion, however being a defending national champion warrants a lot of respect and accolades - one being to continue being the top team the following season until someone knocks you off.

ryan-ts

LOL

RichRod deserved to be fired. Anyone who watched his last three games at Michigan can tell you how god awful they played. His staff did a terrible job recruiting both defense and offensive line. His teams rarely showed up against worthwhile opponents and there is little chance, in my opinion, that Michigan reaches the Sugar Bowl the following year if Rich Rod is the coach.

Happy he is doing well at Arizona but he was never going to succeed at Michigan, with or without the support of fans and alumni.

andycapps

12-2 UGA
12-1 Bama
11-1 Auburn

So it's hard for me to be impartial, but I'll try. But I'd say in that specific scenario, you have to take Georgia. They are theoretically the winner of the conference and would have beaten the runner up. I don't see how the head to head win is overlooked, or how they'd pick a runner up to the conference winner.

Where it gets crazy is if you end up with a 9-3 team playing a 11-1 team, and the 9-3 team wins. In that situation, I don't know if the conference would even get a representative (doubtful if it's the SEC), but I think they'd go with the now 11-2 team unless they were blown out. Perception would matter as far as body of work, and then how they lost.

LOL

RichRod deserved to be fired. Anyone who watched his last three games at Michigan can tell you how god awful they played. His staff did a terrible job recruiting both defense and offensive line. His teams rarely showed up against worthwhile opponents and there is little chance, in my opinion, that Michigan reaches the Sugar Bowl the following year if Rich Rod is the coach.

So it was that brilliant Hoke coaching that catapulted the 2011 Wolverines to a Sugar Bowl victory? They succeeded that year in spite of the team being composed almost entirely of Rodriguez recruits?

Happy he is doing well at Arizona but he was never going to succeed at Michigan, with or without the support of fans and alumni.

Which, if true, truly does show that Michigan is a lousy program and a lousy place to coach.

On the topic of that New York Times map, :jnc at Georgia Tech not even being in the top three most popular teams in Fulton County. Ouch.

On the topic of that New York Times map, :jnc at Georgia Tech not even being in the top three most popular teams in Fulton County. Ouch.
It's screwy as they seemingly just picked 82 programs and ignored everyone else. The listings in the Berkeley zip codes have Oregon, Stanford, and Michigan as the top three teams.

Draxal

Yeah, that map is completely wrong, at least in North Carolina. Those results don't pass the laugh test. (Hint: the actual University of North Carolina is visible in no results in the state of North Carolina.)

I like it not even ranking in it's own home county, I'm positive that Ohio State at 5.4% is higher than whatever Chapel Hill got.

So UCLA is Pac-12's last hope to get into title game playoffs?

Yikes!!

Nah, not even close. A 1-loss P12 champ will almost certainly get in, which means there are still a lot of hopes in the P12.

And even if it was only undefeateds, Zona is undefeated too and probably has a better chance of going undefeated at this point than ucla does.

Draxal

So there's a pretty big story in NJ high school football. Hazing story that's heavily rumored to include forced upon sodomy on a member of the freshman team. And the team forfeited a game and is willing to forfeit the future games.

Listening to the press conference and this woman is crying why the superintendent is punishing the team ... football culture can be disgusting. You can tell the super is disgusted (and a former football player/coach) and wanted to slap the woman.

And here's the kicker

The rumored ringleader is a PSU commit

Jhriad

Doesn't include FCS so it's a total failure for ND, SD, and Montana.

As far as South Dakota goes that's pretty representative of their FBS support. Nebraska has always been pretty strong in the Dakotas and even Wyoming to some extent.

Enfinit

Which is frankly dumb as fuck given how bad FSU has looked so far against mediocre teams.
I agree. However, being able to overlook shitty wins against mediocre opponents is just one of the perks of being the current national champion. It's like a 4-2 SEC team being ranked higher than a 4-0 AAC team - it's just perks associated with your position. I'm not saying it's right, but it's just part of the schtick.

Top Bottom