• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 6: Michigan Men Play Through Concussions

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The SEC doesn't look hot enough to get two teams in there. However, this hasn't stopped voters before!

SEC may not look hot, but

1. the B1G has basically become a running joke this season, and
  2. they fairly quietly still have 4 times the number of ACC ranked teams.
I think the committee will do everything they can to make sure that the playoff has representatives from 4 different conferences in year one, but if Florida State finally takes the loss or two that they've been leaning towards and the B1G lays some more eggs the SEC could end up with two teams after all without much argument.

KingGondo

Banned
According to 247.

6 in 2012. 13 in 2013. 20 in 2014. Now developing those recruits is all on him especially qb.
Recruiting rankings mean jack shit when you don't have a system in place to 1) maximize the physical talents of the players involved (i.e. strength training) and 2) implement offensive and defensive systems that get the most out of all the supposed talent you recruited.

Their offense is stuck in the stone ages.

andycapps

I think the committee will do everything they can to make sure that the playoff has representatives from 4 different conferences in year one, but if Florida State finally takes the loss or two that they've been leaning towards and the B1G lays some more eggs the SEC could end up with two teams after all without much argument.

Didn't B1G just start league play this last weekend? Those 4 teams being ranked will take care of itself, much like the SEC West will take care of itself.

Dr. Lou would like to remind you about Notre Dame. The Notre Dame v. FSU game will determine a playoff spot!!1!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't B1G just start league play this last weekend? Those 4 teams being ranked will take care of itself, much like the SEC West will take care of itself.

That ties in to my overall point, though; everyone seems to talk about the B1G being the biggest longshot to make the playoffs (because of what has already happened and because of what is going to happen in league play), but the ACC's chances are all tied up in a single team that has looked pretty shaky so their odds aren't all that great either IMO.

Dr. Lou would like to remind you about Notre Dame

Ah, right. No matter how hard ESPN tries to make me remember Notre Dame I usually forget they exist out in Independent land.

Meier

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde 3h
Forde's Fab Four: one heavyweight drops out, another moves in, and a new No. 1 as we head toward October. http://yhoo.it/10aZDak

This is why the media is so dumb. TAMU showed "mettle" for their comeback victory over 2-1 Arkansas while FSU was punished for coming back to beat previously 4-0 NCSU (at their house) who look like they're going to give a lot of teams some trouble and have an NFL-caliber QB. Oregon only prevents overtime because of one of the biggest and most blatant blown PIs you'll ever see but it's not even a bullet point a week later. It's silly.

Oh well, losses are definitely coming for some teams so things will level out.

andycapps

That ties in to my overall point, though; everyone seems to talk about the B1G being the biggest longshot to make the playoffs (because of what has already happened and because of what is going to happen in league play), but the ACC's chances are all tied up in a single team that has looked pretty shaky so their odds aren't all that great either IMO.

Gotcha, I agree. FSU is their only hope and they have struggled the past couple weeks. Had to come back both times. While it's pretty normal for a championship team to have some close calls, it would be worrying if I were the ACC commissioner.

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 7
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 9
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 7
Florida @ Tennessee by 8
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 7
Oklahoma @ TCU by 13
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 7
LSU @ Auburn by 7
Michigan @ Rutgers by 24 (Hoke left at NJ airport Kiffikins style )
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 9
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 4

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
(THU) UCF @ Houston by 10
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 6
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 4
Florida @ Tennessee by 6
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 17
Oklahoma @ TCU by 9
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 6
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 10
LSU @ Auburn by 4
Michigan @ Rutgers by 10
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 4
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 7

ACC is definetely Florida State-or-bust, and the way Florida State has played, it might be bust. Notre Dame, @Louisville, @Miami, and Florida are still on the schedule. To be honest, some of the other games might trip them up. With the way BC ran all over USC, that one makes me more nervous than perhaps it should.

KingGondo

Banned
Dr. Lou would like to remind you about Notre Dame. The Notre Dame v. FSU game will determine a playoff spot!!1!
Actually, it probably will.

I'm rooting for the Noles so we can get our revenge in the playoff.

You might have beaten JW Walsh, but we were holding back the DAXX:

52284170c9750.preview-300.jpg

Be afraid, rest of the country. He's coming for you after he Unleashes the Dragon™ on the Big 12.

Draxal

ACC is definetely Florida State-or-bust, and the way Florida State has played, it might be bust. Notre Dame, @Louisville, @Miami, and Florida are still on the schedule. To be honest, some of the other games might trip them up. With the way BC ran all over USC, that one makes me more nervous than perhaps it should.

BC lost to Colorado State at home this week. I tend to ignore how poorly teams do after going cross country (west to east gets it even worse), so I'm willing to give USC a reprieve fot that.

Recruiting rankings mean jack shit when you don't have a system in place to 1) maximize the physical talents of the players involved (i.e. strength training) and 2) implement offensive and defensive systems that get the most out of all the supposed talent you recruited.

Their offense is stuck in the stone ages.

This is all on coaching, I just don't think the cupboard is bare.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This is why the media is so dumb. TAMU showed "mettle" for their comeback victory over 2-1 Arkansas while FSU was punished for coming back to beat previously 4-0 NCSU (at their house) who look like they're going to give a lot of teams some trouble and have an NFL-caliber QB. Oregon only prevents overtime because of one of the biggest and most blatant blown PIs you'll ever see but it's not even a bullet point a week later. It's silly.

NCState needed a miracle to beat Georgia Southern, beat up on 2 Church schools (Old Dominion and Presbyterian), and beat up on bad South Florida team.

Texas Tech might be better than South Florida.

BC lost to Colorado State at home this week. I tend to ignore how poorly teams do after going cross country (west to east gets it even worse), so I'm willing to give USC a reprieve on that.

I'm mostly just thinking Florida State hasn't looked good, so they can lose to anybody. I was moving all day Saturday and haven't seen the NC State game (yet), but other teams have been able to run all over them. Even The Citadel had a good running attack against the Seminoles. And then I consider that BC got 9000 yards rushing against USC.

Sarye

Damn.. everyone picking Rutgers makes me nervous for Rutgers. Knowing our luck, Michigan's O will magically click... or are they truly that inept in their current state?

Meier

NCState needed a miracle to beat Georgia Southern, beat up on 2 Church schools (Old Dominion and Presbyterian), and beat up on bad South Florida team.

Tech may be, may not be -- hard to say. Neither Tech nor NCSU is going to set the world on fire, but State looks like a top 25 team and would have been Top 15 at that point (by nature of being 4-0) if they were in the SEC. Wazzu is obviously in a similar boat as Texas Tech and NCSU.

Draxal

Damn.. everyone picking Rutgers makes me nervous for Rutgers. Knowing our luck, Michigan's O will magically click... or are they truly that inept in their current state?

I'm feeling the same as they might rally for their coach, but I also think there's a good chance that Michigan plays intentionally play poor so Hoke can get Kiffikened.

It's 99.95% chance that he will get fired if they lose to Rutgers. Brandon has to fire him soon to save his own head.

edit. He has to make it past the PSU game, bye week is a perfect time to axe him.

Meier

I'm mostly just thinking Florida State hasn't looked good, so they can lose to anybody. I was moving all day Saturday and haven't seen the NC State game (yet), but other teams have been able to run all over them. Even The Citadel had a good running attack against the Seminoles. And then I consider that BC got 9000 yards rushing against USC.

The Citadel game stats were kind of misleading. They didn't really do anything until the 4th when FSU had 3rd (and below) string players in due to mop up duty and the injuries they'd inflicted on starters. Our defense (maybe the team in general) is definitely not nearly as good as last year's (an understatement for sure regarding the defense), but that game is not really indicative of anything.

My biggest concern is the run game which will hopefully get sorted out shortly. At least it looked competent in the 2nd half vs NCSU. For whatever reason, Karlos just isn't having much luck running through the tackles but when we get him the ball in space or at least don't run up the gut, things are happening. Some of that is on Jameis and making sure teams remain scared of the pass -- he did a better job of spreading the ball around a bit but we're still too imbalanced with Rashad.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
BC lost to Colorado State at home this week. I tend to ignore how poorly teams do after going cross country (west to east gets it even worse), so I'm willing to give USC a reprieve fot that.
REVERSE CAMUS EVERYBODY TAKE YOUR SHOT AND GIVE IT TO THE PERSON SITTING NEXT TO YOU

cVLCBN6.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Tech finally played a decent game on Thursday for the first time all season, and if not for a few terrible drops could have been in that one until the end. Defense sure looked a lot better than it has in every other game all season (despite the points given up, trust me).

I feel a lot better about our bowl chances after that Thursday game (though I'm still not all that confident). It felt like less of a loss than any of the three games before (including the two wins) and our young DBs finally got a game they could gain some experience from after we finally made an opponent pass the ball around at least a little bit.

Of course, the rumors floating around are that Webb will be missing two games (Kansas State and West Virginia) and we'll be back to a True Freshman at QB for those so who the hell knows. Like Meier said, Tech may be decent, and we may not be, but things are definitely trending up. Strangely enough, Tech has actually played better games overall over the last two games (both losses) than they did over the first two games (both wins).

Sarye

I'm feeling the same as they might rally for their coach, but I also think there's a good chance that Michigan plays intentionally play poor so Hoke can get Kiffikened.

It's 99.95% chance that he will get fired if they lose to Rutgers. Brandon has to fire him soon to save his own head.

They definitely have the talent to be better than they are now, but the players have pretty much quit on the team and their coach. If Rutgers strike first, that might be the nail in the coffin for their morale.

Anyone want to take bets whether the bus leaves without Hoke if Rutgers win?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Let's not say things we'll regret later.

You guys got punished by the voters for struggling two weeks in a row. Dislike the system all you want, but you guys struggled with Clempson and then you struggled with NC State, two teams which are widely regarded as "middling" this year.

In the Clempson game, your offense looked horrifically inept, but you got a pass because Winston wasn't in the game. This week, your defense looked inept. You say "NFL-caliber QB" and the rest of the nation says, "Who cares? Beat the shit out of them anyway." Fairly or not, you're being held to a higher standard than most teams, and this year's incarnation of the Seminoles will be compared to last year's team until you lose. When you don't measure up to that standard, well, the voters make sure you know it.

andycapps

Actually, it probably will.

I'm rooting for the Noles so we can get our revenge in the playoff.

You might have beaten JW Walsh, but we were holding back the DAXX:

52284170c9750.preview-300.jpg

Be afraid, rest of the country. He's coming for you after he Unleashes the Dragon™ on the Big 12.

When did OSU pick up Jesse Eisenberg?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
(THU) UCF @ Houston by 4
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 5
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 6
Florida @ Tennessee by 7
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 7
Oklahoma @ TCU by 8
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 5
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 13
LSU @ Auburn by 10
Michigan @ Rutgers by 8
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 10
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 3

Meier

Let's not say things we'll regret later.

You guys got punished by the voters for struggling two weeks in a row. Dislike the system all you want, but you guys struggled with Clempson and then you struggled with NC State, two teams which are widely regarded as "middling" this year.

In the Clempson game, your offense looked horrifically inept, but you got a pass because Winston wasn't in the game. This week, your defense looked inept. You say "NFL-caliber QB" and the rest of the nation says, "Who cares? Beat the shit out of them anyway." Fairly or not, you're being held to a higher standard than most teams, and this year's incarnation of the Seminoles will be compared to last year's team until you lose. When you don't measure up to that standard, well, the voters make sure you know it.
Oh yeah, I know WHY they're doing it, and don't even necessarily disagree with them in theory -- but it's the fact that the narrative is not applied to everyone equally that is silly. It really just comes down to conference affiliation more than anything.

FSU's defense actually played fine after the first quarter thankfully. Most all of the points after that just came off turnovers that resulted in short fields. Either way, teams (and this could easily include us) will start to lose now that we're getting into the meat of the schedule, so it'll work itself out in the end.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't see the point. Michigan is going to lose at least three more games this year, why not let Hoke sink with the ship and then bring in someone next season.
I see the point of getting someone with firm enough grasp on the goings-on in a game to sub out a player who likely suffered a concussion on the previous play.

If I'm the parent of a Michigan player, I have serious doubts as to Hoke's ability to handle the safety of my child.

Is he a Michigan Man
No.

From last year's post-OSU presser (in reference to Gardner's foot injury):

Brady Hoke said:
"You know, [Gardner is] beat up like everybody is, and that's when he was limping a little bit, and I said I don't want to see you limp. I said every guy out here could limp. We've got to go play, and he did that. I'm proud of him."

Fire this fucker ASAP, U-M.

(Reposting since it got buried at the bottom of the last page)

From last year's post-OSU presser (in reference to Gardner's foot injury):

Brady Hoke said:
"You know, [Gardner is] beat up like everybody is, and that's when he was limping a little bit, and I said I don't want to see you limp. I said every guy out here could limp. We've got to go play, and he did that. I'm proud of him."

Fire this fucker ASAP, U-M.

Top Bottom