• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 6: Michigan Men Play Through Concussions

inm8num2

Love that theyre attacking Hoke in the press conference about him not wearing a headset.

I've never understood this. Hoke has said headsets are overrated, but he has someone behind him (who's presumably wearing a headset) tell him the plays. They can't be overrated if he's still using one by proxy.

Also, some clips from morning shows talking about this situation.

http://www.today.com/video/today/56141234#56141234
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mic...-big-hit-25832966?tab=9482931&section=4765066

Hoke is toast. If he's coaching on Saturday I'll be shocked. This story has broken into the mainstream and it's going to be a P.R. nightmare for U-M.

Unless he or someone else at the press conference apologized (I missed it), I haven't seen anything remotely suggesting any sort of remorse for his gross negligence on Saturday. They're still acting like he did nothing wrong.

andycapps

(Reposting since it got buried at the bottom of the last page)

From last year's post-OSU presser (in reference to Gardner's foot injury):

Fire this fucker ASAP, U-M.

There's a difference between playing through aches and pains and telling some kid to get back out there that got a concussion. Or a kid that twisted his ankle. Some kids you can't keep off the field after they get injured and they can convince you they're okay, but to guilt kids into going back out there because they're Michigan Men is ridiculous.

cdyhybrid

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 4
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 4
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 4
Florida @ Tennessee by 4
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 7
Oklahoma @ TCU by 14
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 14
LSU @ Auburn by 10
Michigan @ Rutgers by 4
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 4
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 6

Draxal

Hoke is toast. If he's coaching on Saturday I'll be shocked. This story has broken into the mainstream and it's going to be a P.R. nightmare for U-M.

Unless he or someone else at the press conference apologized (I missed it), I haven't seen anything remotely suggesting any sort of remorse for his gross negligence on Saturday. They're still acting like he did nothing wrong.

Ayup, Brandon has to get rid of him because he's very much on the chopping block as well.

Especially since Hoke has had a history of this in Ball State.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/29/6863037/brady-hoke-michigan-coach-player-injury

pPtIVOF.gif

Damn.. everyone picking Rutgers makes me nervous for Rutgers. Knowing our luck, Michigan's O will magically click... or are they truly that inept in their current state?

Dude ... don't worry. I'd be legit shook if Rutgers didn't win by double-digits.

edit: and to be clear I'm not saying that from any half-hearted "woe is us" slant, I mean, literally, if you can't beat this team by two touchdowns it will mean your team blows. I'd compare us to Minnesota or something, but ... holy shit. We're a fucking MAC team right now bro. Rutgers by 20. Shit, 30.

If anything clicks for Michigan it'll be the defense. The offense is fucked with Gardner or Morris. I definitely think Rutgers can win.

Schmitty

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 17
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 4
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 7
Florida @ Tennessee by 7
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 10
Oklahoma @ TCU by 14
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 10
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 10
LSU @ Auburn by4
Michigan @ Rutgers by 4
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 7
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 10

So do we have any medical reports from Michigan yet about the QBs possible concussion or are we just basing his injuries from the wobble?

Draxal

Dude ... don't worry. I'd be legit shook if Rutgers didn't win by double-digits.

edit: and to be clear I'm not saying that from any half-hearted "woe is us" slant, I mean, literally, if you can't beat this team by two touchdowns it will mean your team blows. I'd compare us to Minnesota or something, but ... holy shit. We're a fucking MAC team right now bro. Rutgers by 20. Shit, 30.

Err, your defense is good it's just holy shit your offense and turnover margin is insanely bad. It Gardner gets his head out of his ass (which is a herculean feat), your team is no where near as bad as the record shows. Rutgers secondary isn't good, but the dline is pretty stout so it will be a battle of the qbs.

KingGondo

Banned
Err, your defense is good it's just holy shit your offense and turnover margin is insanely bad. It Gardner gets his head out of his ass (which is a herculean feat), your team is no where near as bad as the record shows. Rutgers secondary isn't good, but the dline is pretty stout so it will be a battle of the qbs.
Serious question: have you watched Michigan play this season?

They're fucking terrible. Especially on offense.

Draxal

Ayup, their offense and turnover margin is horrific, however we have Gary Nova as our qb which can reverse that turnover margin by himself, and a secondary that isn't good which can cure a struggling qb's issues.

The team just gave up recently which isn't a good sign, however I was worried about losing to Tulane on Saturday ... TULANE.

It's not even just this season. This bullshit goes back to struggling with Akron last year, en route to being 4-9 in our last 13 with the four wins being over no one. WE WERE JUST BLOWN OUT BY MINNESOTA AT HOME, A TEAM THAT HAS BEAT US FOUR TIMES IN 30 FUCKING YEARS.

This is the bottom. We're fucking Duke. OH WAIT, DUKE WOULD WRECK US.

Seriously, fuck college football.

KingGondo

Banned
It's not even just this season. This bullshit goes back to struggling with Akron last year, en route to being 4-9 in our last 13 with the four wins being over no one. WE WERE JUST BLOWN OUT BY MINNESOTA AT HOME, A TEAM THAT HAS BEAT US FOUR TIMES IN 30 FUCKING YEARS.

This is the bottom. We're fucking Duke. OH WAIT, DUKE WOULD WRECK US.

Seriously, fuck college football.
Assuming you can't get a Harbaugh or Les Miles, who do you want to replace Hoke?

In my humble opinion, Michigan should bring this novel concept called the "spread offense" to the B1G. You can recruit the athletes to run it.

And at the very least it'll be entertaining.

Draxal

Assuming you can't get a Harbaugh or Les Miles, who do you want to replace Hoke?

In my humble opinion, Michigan should bring this novel concept called the "spread offense" to the B1G. You can recruit the athletes to run it.

And at the very least it'll be entertaining.

They had Rich Rod and ran him out of town (one year too early).

Mullen is a very good candidate (I thought if MSU has a bad year and he got canned and Flood sucked he would have been a lock for Rutgers); but I have him going to Florida now.

jjasper

Bama over Ole Miss is more than lock of the week it is more like 9.99 but today free only if you call lock of the eternity.

JCX

Excited to head up to EL this weekend, even if it does coincide with Smash Bros 3DS.

(THU) UCF @ Houston by
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 8
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 10
Florida @ Tennessee by 7
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 8
Oklahoma @ TCU by 9
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 14
LSU @ Auburn by 8
Michigan @ Rutgers by 7
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 9
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 12

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 7
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 6
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 13
Florida @ Tennessee by 17
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 4
Oklahoma @ TCU by 17
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 7
LSU @ Auburn by 10
Michigan @ Rutgers by 27
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 18
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 17

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Texas ran Charlie Weiss right out of Lawrence with our offensive performance.

Not sure why Goodell wanted to meet with Charlie Strong, everyone he comes into contact with is being dismissed.

StoOgE

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 14
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 21
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 3
Florida @ Tennessee by 1.5
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 14
Oklahoma @ TCU by 3
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 4
LSU @ Auburn by 4
Michigan @ Rutgers by 10
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 3
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 4
BONUS PICK Baylor @ Texas by 21

My list is Harbaugh (Jim), Miles, Harbugh (John) then pipe dreams Briles & Sumlin. All five are pipe dreams, actually, depending on who you ask (although the Jim & John rumors seem mildly legit, fwtw) and we'll end up with Narduzzi or worse. I'm beyond apathetic at the moment so my opinion is worthless anyway. I just want Hoke the fuck out of here. He's way worse than RR (barf). I would have fired Hoke after the ND game if I were AD, and on that note Dave Brandon can GTFO too.

Anyway, it's Jim or bust for me personally.

Michigan @ Rutgers by 27

Get a load of this guy.

KingGondo

Banned
My list is Harbaugh (Jim), Miles, Harbugh (John) then pipe dreams Briles & Sumlin. All five are pipe dreams, actually, depending on who you ask (although the Jim & John rumors seem mildly legit, fwtw) and we'll end up with Narduzzi or worse. I'm beyond apathetic at the moment so my opinion is worthless anyway. I just want Hoke the fuck out of here. He's way worse than RR (barf). I would have fired Hoke after the ND game if I were AD, and on that note Dave Brandon can GTFO too.

Anyway, it's Jim or bust for me personally.
I understand your apathy. My UM fan friend lives across the street from me and the apathy is contagious.

In other news: check out the big arm on Daxx!

SpectacularSardonicGoldfinch.gif

StoOgE

this should be like the Daily Double

you should lose points for this

Texas 4 Life.

Charlie Strong will dismiss our terrible team away into a glorious national title contender by mid season.

Then he will dismiss our two losses and we will play Florida St where he will give Mr. Winston such a stern look from across the field that he will quit football, admit his wrongdoings and commit himself to a life of silence as Carmelite.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My list is Harbaugh (Jim), Miles, Harbugh (John) then pipe dreams Briles & Sumlin.

I don't think there is anybody in the country more secure than Briles is at Baylor (probably some equal, but nobody more). If Tech and Texas couldn't pry him away during their coaching searches then he's not going ANYWHERE.

In other news: check out the big arm on Daxx!

http://giant.gfycat.com/SpectacularSardonicGoldfinch.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Taken from a pre-Tech game scouting report I read -

[quote]Garman has a rocket for an arm, and he has the physical tools to make just about any throw you'll ever ask of him. However, I think he's having some problems making reads right now, and it's really dampering the quick and underneath passing game for the Cowboys. It's honestly pretty much nonexistent at the moment.

-To put things in perspective: Garman has completed a total of 32 passes in essentially a game and a half as the starter. He's thrown 8 passes for more than 25 yards, 17 for more than 15 yards, and ONLY 7 for under 15. He's also roughly completing 50 percent of his throws right now, and it's because he's either missing on deep shots or can't hit a receiver on an underneath route at all. [/quote]

The defense is ok, but I've heard there's locker room division - O doesn't mingle much with D and vice versa - which tends to mean that as soon as the shit offense fucks up a time or two the D will quit on them. It's seriously a dumpster fire around here man.

Battle of the QBs? lol ... you win by default. We don't have one.

I don't think there is anybody in the country more secure than Briles is at Baylor (probably some equal, but nobody more). If Tech and Texas couldn't pry him away during their coaching searches then he's not going ANYWHERE.

Aside from another forum poster or two, I think I'm the only one to even mention him. I just listed him as someone I'd like to see here. Same with Sumlin. Realistically, it'll probably be another lame schmoe if it's not a Harbaugh or Miles. Zero confidence in Brandon to make a hire anyway. Shit sucks.

Sarye

The defense is ok, but I've heard there's locker room division - O doesn't mingle much with D and vice versa - which tends to mean that as soon as the shit offense fucks up a time or two the D will quit on them. It's seriously a dumpster fire around here man.
I've heard the same but this is Rutgers. They always find ways of giving fans heartattacks till the final whistle blows.

Battle of the QBs? lol ... you win by default. We don't have one.
If Nova turns to TurNova, then you have the 12th man. He's just that bad when bad.

StoOgE

-

I don't think Texas seriously went after Briles at any point. I'm sure we interviewed him, but rightly or wrongly I don't think Texas likes the idea of snagging coaches from Baylor. Also, he's pretty old.

I think UM could get him if they wanted him, but if I wanted a coach to run that sort of system I would probably get a man around the age of 40 from Stillwater.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Texas seriously went after Briles at any point. I'm sure we interviewed him, but rightly or wrongly I don't think Texas likes the idea of snagging coaches from Baylor. Also, he's pretty old.

I think UM could get him if they wanted him, but if I wanted a coach to run that sort of system I would probably get a man around the age of 40 from Stillwater.

Aside from another forum poster or two, I think I'm the only one to even mention him. I just listed him as someone I'd like to see here. Same with Sumlin. Realistically, it'll probably be another lame schmoe if it's not a Harbaugh or Miles. Zero confidence in Brandon to make a hire anyway. Shit sucks.

I've heard some people relate that Briles basically went to sleep thinking he was going to be the next coach at UT but he woke up hearing it was Charlie Strong. All hearsay, of course, no matter whether the story is he was close to being hired or he was never close; what is real is that at the end of the day, Baylor managed to keep him through two different coaching searches from his alma mater AND a search by the 800 pound gorilla in the state where he has spent his entire life living and coaching.

Whether it's Michigan or anybody else that comes calling I think Briles is set in absolute stone at Baylor. He's an older coach, he's having great success, and he lives in middle of the state where he's always lived and where all of his contacts are.

KingGondo

Banned
Taken from a pre-Tech game scouting report I read -
That's a fair criticism. Thankfully the physical tools appear to be there and I think he made pretty good decisions (except for the INT he threw at the end of the first half).

We play ISU then @KU before going on the road @TCU. That's 12-15 practices working with the first team to add to his arsenal. That's not to say we can't use the long ball, but the defense has to respect the mid-range game as well.

StoOgE said:
Gundy's pretty secure at OSU too. Haven't heard much about discord in a while.

That's not to say he couldn't leave, but I'd be surprised if it was for Michigan.

And for all the talk of "I'm a man I'm 40," he just turned 47. I feel old.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I usually don't post in here but I just saw clips of some schmuck get rekt by Schlegel and was wondering if Bertram or any other OSU fans have a GIF of it?

Top Bottom