• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 6: Michigan Men Play Through Concussions

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dudes, this is some real bullshit:

Z4XbAwQ.png

No one feels bad for USC.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
No one feels bad for USC.
Seriously. Underpenalized for an infraction involving a current player, and still they bitch. Look at poor Penn State. They didn't even gain a tangible, on-field advantage from Sandusky's actions, and they got penalized harder than USC. But you don't ever hear their fans complaining about it.

I like the preface of the tweet. "USC plays 5 Pac-12 south opponents this year." As opposed to any other year, or any other team in the division.

Yes, I fixate on minor details.

Seriously. Underpenalized for an infraction involving a current player, and still they bitch. Look at poor Penn State. They didn't even gain a tangible, on-field advantage from Sandusky's actions, and they got penalized harder than USC. But you don't ever hear their fans complaining about it.

I love you too, mre

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Seriously. It is a shame what happened with Joe Paternal Instinct.

KingGondo

Banned
(THU) UCF @ Houston by 4
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 7
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 7
Florida @ Tennessee by 4
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 21
Oklahoma @ TCU by 10
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 7
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 7
LSU @ Auburn by 7
Michigan @ Rutgers by 4
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 4
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 14

I'd feel bad for you, but your team has a quarterback and an offense that actually work together. So nah.

Kessler is the only QB other than Mariota to have over 1000 yards passing and 0 ints this season or something. I saw it on Twitter and forgot the details.

I like the preface of the tweet. "USC plays 5 Pac-12 south opponents this year." As opposed to any other year, or any other team in the division.

Yes, I fixate on minor details.

Don't some Pac-12 teams only play 4 South division teams? Then again USC is basically skipping Oregon this year so they can play Wazzu and Cal.

StoOgE

respect if their response is:

@Vol_Football: @LilJon: YEAH!

I really really really want him at the game on Saturday.

I can't wait to see your average Tennessee fan dancing in the stands to turn down for what.

Gif time.

I really really really want him at the game on Saturday.

I can't wait to see your average Tennessee fan dancing in the stands to turn down for what.

Gif time.

USC had Jason Derulo this past weekend and he didn't play any of his strip club songs. I was bummed.

Don't some Pac-12 teams only play 4 South division teams? Then again USC is basically skipping Oregon this year so they can play Wazzu and Cal.

USC is in the south, along with 5 other schools. They would all play everyone else, hence 5 games. Every year. Then they would fill out the conference slate with a handful of games versus the north.

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 7
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 7
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 7
Florida @ Tennessee by 4
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 4
Oklahoma @ TCU by 10
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 4
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 14
LSU @ Auburn by 4
Michigan@ Rutgers by 10
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 17

StoOgE

They already play it every third down when on defense.

My mental image is Tennesee fans getting down while pimp cuped out Lil John in Full Gold Teeth Regalia bouncing up and down on cars with the Ying Yang Twins and all the East Side Boys at the 50 yard line.

Do not deny me my dream.

This is all I want this year.

xeris

GAF Pick'em Week 6 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise noted)

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 4
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 4
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 10
Florida @ Tennessee by 4
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 7
Oklahoma @ TCU by 7
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 7
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 14
LSU @ Auburn by 4
Michigan @ Rutgers by 10
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 4

Lunar15

My mental image is Tennesee fans getting down while pimp cuped out Lil John in Full Gold Teeth Regalia bouncing up and down on cars with the Ying Yang Twins and all the East Side Boys at the 50 yard line.

Do not deny me my dream.

This is all I want this year.

It's just going to be Rocky Top. Actually, you know, I don't know if I'd mind seeing Lil' Jon's take on Rocky Top. With the aforementioned bouncing cars, Ying Yang Twins, and East Side Boys, of course.

...looks like dogshit. Glad I had to miss Saturday's game or I would have been freaking out.

Picks -

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 8
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 6
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 9
Florida @ Tennessee by 10
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 14
Oklahoma @ TCU by 17
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 11
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 9
LSU @ Auburn by 4
Michigan @ Rutgers by 6
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 8
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 5

Ty Willingham does have a Rose Bowl loss on his resume so he would be a good fit. Would he want to give up his spot as a volunteer coach for the Stanford Women's golf team?

12:00 PM No. 6 Texas A&M at No. 12 Mississippi State
3:30 PM No. 3 Alabama at No. 11 Ole Miss
3:30 PM No. 4 Oklahoma at No. 25 TCU
3:30 PM No. 14 Stanford at No. 9 Notre Dame
7:00 PM No. 15 LSU at No. 5 Auburn
8:00 PM No. 19 Nebraska at No. 10 Michigan State

Of the 6 ranked v. ranked games this week, 3 of them start at 3:30pm ET. Back in September there weren't enough quality matchups, now there's 3 in one time slot. smh. CFB needs better scheduling.

3:30 PM No. 4 Oklahoma at No. 25 TCU
8:00 PM No. 19 Nebraska at No. 10 Michigan State

Of the 6 ranked v. ranked games this week, 3 of them start at 3:30pm ET. Back in September there weren't enough quality matchups, now there's 3 in one time slot. smh. CFB needs better scheduling.

To be fair, which one are you moving? These are all games in ET/CT time zones, you already have 2 late games, so you're looking at kicking a 3:30 to noon? SEC has each time slot covered, so it won't be the Alabama game. I don't think TCU and Oklahoma want to play in the morning, so forget that one. So basically, it's "does NBC want a noon game for Notre Dame." Clearly, it appears the answer is "no."

If it's about moving weeks, that's a different conversation, but in earlier weeks, is TCU even in a top 25? Mississippi State wasn't ranked in the preseason, either. It worked out that these games feature top 25 teams, but at points earlier or later in the season, that might not have been the case.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This week should end up one gigantic college football lovefest. We have wallowed through shit week after shit week to get to this, fellas. Let's let it soak all in. Start to finish, that is an amazing slate of games. When was the last time we saw 6 games between ranked teams in one week that didn't involve conference champhionship games and/or bowl games?

To be fair, which one are you moving? These are all games in ET/CT time zones, you already have 2 late games, so you're looking at kicking a 3:30 to noon? SEC has each time slot covered, so it won't be the Alabama game. I don't think TCU and Oklahoma want to play in the morning, so forget that one. So basically, it's "does NBC want a noon game for Notre Dame." Clearly, it appears the answer is "no."

If it's about moving weeks, that's a different conversation, but in earlier weeks, is TCU even in a top 25? Mississippi State wasn't ranked in the preseason, either. It worked out that these games feature top 25 teams, but at points earlier or later in the season, that might not have been the case.

The B1G loves their morning games, so I would put Nebraska v. Mich St. at 12:00pm EST, and we already have an SEC evening game, so I would move the OU v. TCU matchup to 8:30pm. I like the 1.5 hour separation between kickoffs so after one audience is through watching LSU v. Auburn, they can switch over to the start of the second half of OU v. TCU. Fans of CFB like me don't necessarily want to watch all 4 quarters of a game that doesn't involve our favorite team, so jumping in towards the beginning of the second half of most games is optimal.

12:00 PM No. 19 Nebraska at No. 10 Michigan State
8:30 PM No. 4 Oklahoma at No. 25 TCU

Also, Kirk Herbstreet isn't giving Michigan protesters benefit of the doubt in their motivations. He basically said Michigan protesters want Hoke fired for on field performance, and are using this concussion debacle as a convenient excuse/opportunity to get him fired.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Also, Kirk Herbstreet isn't giving Michigan protesters benefit of the doubt in their motivations. He basically said Michigan protesters want Hoke fired for on field performance, and are using this concussion debacle as a convenient excuse/opportunity to get him fired.
I mean, he's at least partially right when you're referring to Michigan fans pushing for his ouster. If this had happened at Alabama this season I wouldn't want Saban fired. I would want changes made to ensure that it never happened again, but I wouldn't want him fired, and I'm honest to admit that this is because of the success he has had on the field.

But when you have people who are fans of say, Ohio State or Michigan State also wanting him gone, Herbstreit's argument kind of falls apart.

andycapps

I think Herbie's right. If Hoke were undefeated right now, I think people would just be saying they need to change their policies and go through some training to make sure this doesn't happen again. People were already talking about how they wanted him gone before all this shit went down. This was the last straw.

I think Herbie's right. If Hoke were undefeated right now, I think people would just be saying they need to change their policies and go through some training to make sure this doesn't happen again. This is a last straw type thing. People were already talking about how they wanted him gone before all this shit went down.

I also feel like at competent coach wouldnt let this happen

I think Herbie's right. If Hoke were undefeated right now, I think people would just be saying they need to change their policies and go through some training to make sure this doesn't happen again. This is a last straw type thing. People were already talking about how they wanted him gone before all this shit went down.
I think it's the #witchhunt tag that makes that initial tweet truly ridiculous and borderline offensive, and why I think Herbie is totally off-base in his assessment of the situation.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I think the problem with what Herbstreit is saying is that he's implying that nobody would care at all if Michigan was undefeated, which I don't think is true at all given the climate of football safety over the last few years.

There probably is a large component of "this is the last straw," and it probably is blowing up a bit more because of his overall performance, but that doesn't mean that nobody would care at all if he were undefeated.

For example, if the best salesman and in general friendliest guy in an entire company shows up to work drunk or hung over or something like that, he's going to get a lot more leeway than if the highly combative and worst salesman in your entire company shows up to work drunk or hung over. That doesn't mean that showing up to work drunk is only a problem if the drunk guy doesn't bring in revenue, it just means that in most cases it takes more than one slip up to get canned.

Hoke has been screwing up for quite a while now, so as you say the concussion thing is really just icing on the cake, but I 100% disagree with Herbstreit's implication that this wouldn't be a story at all if not for his record.

andycapps

I also feel like at competent coach wouldnt let this happen

Definitely agree. Him putting his QB back in the game are the actions of an incompetent coach who knows his job is on the line.

I think it's the #witchhunt tag that makes that initial tweet truly ridiculous and borderline offensive, and why I think Herbie is totally off-base in his assessment of the situation.

The tag is dumb, but it's not like Hoke's ousting is without merit. Just that this sole problem with putting an injured player back in the game probably wouldn't justify firing on it's own. What really justifies the firing are the records of 11-2, 8-5, 7-6, and now a start of 2-3 plus the insanity of putting your QB back in the game when he'd just sustained a concussion.

To be clear, this would still be a story and he should still be punished if Michigan were undefeated right now.

Let's also look at the game scenario when it occurred. The game was over, Shane clearly was limping all over the place on top of the unknown concussion. Let's say his ankle was the only problem, why wouldnt you take him out when youre down 30-7 in the 4th? It's not like he was playing amazing up to that point.

Hoke is dope.

Mack Brown with some real candid talk on Mike and Mike right now. Said after the BYU loss he knew he was fired and started to coach/perform badly.

GAF Pick'em Week 6 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise noted)

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 6
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 8
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 10
Florida @ Tennessee by 4
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 14
Oklahoma @ TCU by 7
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 5 Pls Stanford
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 4
LSU @ Auburn by 4
Michigan @ Rutgers by 5
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 6

tokkun

I think Herbie's right. If Hoke were undefeated right now, I think people would just be saying they need to change their policies and go through some training to make sure this doesn't happen again. People were already talking about how they wanted him gone before all this shit went down. This was the last straw.

Yeah, you really just need to look back to two years ago when Robert Woods was stumbling after a big hit and only sat out one play. That happened when USC was still a top-15 team and they went on to win the game. Although there was some controversy (http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2012/10/9/3481120/the-robert-woods-concussion-controversy), the discussion largely focused on training and protocols rather than on firing Kiffin. From the SBNation pieced I linked:
...looking for anything to take a shot at USC and/or Kiffin in the face of the loss last Thursday
Haters will find any excuse [to criticize Kiffin]
Unless you are the one treating the patient it is pretty easy to diagnose and treat from your couch. For those with a little bit more skin in the game it is a little more difficult...even with all the rules and regulations out there.

You can imagine how the article would have been different if the incident had occurred at the end of the season when USC was unranked and enroute to losing to Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mack Brown with some real candid talk on Mike and Mike right now. Said after the BYU loss he knew he was fired and started to coach/perform badly.
It was a hell of a whooping that BYU put on them. Definitely not the worst loss by points for Brown, but the way the game, it had to feel like one of the worst.

Draxal

As in he started to coach/perform badly... on purpose?

I think he meant that he lost his drive, college coaches requires so much effort/energy (see Meyer's burnout in Florida).

I know there's conventional wisdom for not firing coaches midseason, but I'm actually for it, leaving sitting ducks there does no favors to the coach as well.

:lol nobody likes Noon games. Less time for tailgate.
I've actually come to prefer them.

3:30/6:00/8:00 games end up dominating your entire Saturday. I like getting our game over with and then watching other games for the rest of the day.

Plus, brunch tailgating is pretty awesome.

Top Bottom