• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 6: Michigan Men Play Through Concussions

JCX

I've actually come to prefer them.

3:30/6:00/8:00 games end up dominating your entire Saturday. I like getting our game over with and then watching other games for the rest of the day.

Plus, brunch tailgating is pretty awesome.

I like making a whole day event out of it, though. Also I'm usually too hungover/tired to do anything later on in the day, regardless of when the game starts.

Yeah, you really just need to look back to two years ago when Robert Woods was stumbling after a big hit and only sat out one play. That happened when USC was still a top-15 team and they went on to win the game. Although there was some controversy (http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2012/10/9/3481120/the-robert-woods-concussion-controversy), the discussion largely focused on training and protocols rather than on firing Kiffin. From the SBNation pieced I linked:

You can imagine how the article would have been different if the incident had occurred at the end of the season when USC was unranked and enroute to losing to Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl.
I would say that even in the span of two years, the public sentiment towards concussions has changed significantly. Two years ago we didn't even have ejections for targeting yet.

A lot of scholarships have ethical guidelines a student must follow.

College-aged kids undoubtedly make mistakes, but they also have to learn that mistakes like that have consequences.

It's not like he's being expelled. I'd say it's a fair punishment - at least from the university. He obviously still has to deal with the legal stuff.

KingGondo

Banned
He committed a crime by trespassing onto the field. I have seen football players have their scholarships revoked for less.
Our culture is far too punitive and vindictive.

He didn't hurt anyone, and I'm sure he could have learned his lesson some other way.

Of course you don't want to encourage kids to run on the field, but there has to be some kind of middle ground between doing nothing and potentially putting this kid in student loan debt for decades after he graduates.

Make him do some janitorial work on campus.

He didn't hurt anyone, and I'm sure he could have learned his lesson some other way.

Of course you don't want to encourage kids to run on the field, but there has to be some kind of middle ground between doing nothing and potentially putting this kid in student loan debt for decades after he graduates.

Yeah probation plus a ton of community service is perfectly appropriate for a first time offense (assuming this is a first time offense...if not then whatever).

He's 21, meaning he probably has only a year or two left of undergrad.

He won't have that much loan debt.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
A lot of scholarships have ethical guidelines a student must follow.

College-aged kids undoubtedly make mistakes, but they also have to learn that mistakes like that have consequences.

It's not like he's being expelled. I'd say it's a fair punishment - at least from the university. He obviously still has to deal with the legal stuff.

oh, it's only a 20-30k a year fine, thats all. IT'S NOT LIKE HE'S BEING SENT OFF TO THE U OF MICHIGAN INTERNMENT CAMP.

Draxal

And to be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't well heeled and his family could easily afford it.

oh, it's only a 20-30k a year fine, thats all. IT'S NOT LIKE HE'S BEING SENT OFF TO THE U OF MICHIGAN INTERNMENT CAMP.

President Sweater Vest of Youngstown state is willing to take him in.

KingGondo

Banned

And to be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't well heeled and his family could easily afford it.
Lots of assumptions being made.

Maybe he's an engineering student on a 5-year graduation track, or maybe he has a double major? Not uncommon among those who are bright enough to be on full scholarship in the first place.

And even if his family is "well heeled," it's still a lot of money to pay out of pocket. The punishment is disproportionate to the "crime."

Draxal

Maybe he's an engineering student on a 5-year graduation track, or maybe he has a double major? Not uncommon among those who are bright enough to be on full scholarship in the first place.

And even if his family is "well heeled," it's still a lot of money to pay out of pocket. The punishment is disproportionate to the "crime."

I think the crime is actually rather serious, the Monica Seles incident, Tom Gomboa getting beat up on the field.

If I were to be lenient it would on the criminal case, but I don't blame Ohio State for doing what they did what they did with the scholarship.

Aesius

If Tennessee doesn't beat this bad Gators team on Saturday, I'm convinced the streak will reach Kentucky vs Tennessee/Florida levels.

The crime is very serious. I don't know why you're putting quotation marks around the word crime, suggesting that it's somehow barely a crime at all.

You don't run onto the playing surface at a public sporting event. You don't leap onto the stage at a Broadway musical. Serious stuff has happened when people have done shit like this. People have been severely injured and killed.

Our justice system is far too punitive; you're correct on that point. But college disciplinary procedures, as we've recently found, often aren't punitive enough.

The punishment from the university is fine. Expelling him would have been overkill. Yanking his scholarship is totally appropriate.

The crime is very serious. I don't know why you're putting quotation marks around the word crime, suggesting that it's somehow barely a crime at all.

You don't run onto the playing surface at a public sporting event. You don't leap onto the stage at a Broadway musical. Serious stuff has happened when people have done shit like this. People have been severely injured and killed.

Our justice system is far too punitive; you're correct on that point. But college disciplinary procedures, as we've recently found, often aren't punitive enough.

The punishment from the university is fine. Expelling him would have been overkill. Yanking his scholarship is totally appropriate.

Being neckslamed by a conditioning coach in front of millions should have counted towards his punishment imo

KingGondo

Banned
I think the crime is actually rather serious, the Monica Seles incident, Tom Gomboa getting beat up in the field.

If I were to be lenient it would on the criminal case, but I don't blame Ohio State for doing what they did what they did with the scholarship.
The crime isn't stabbing a player, or beating up a coach. The crime is trespassing on the field.

The situation was handled without anyone getting hurt. He wasn't armed as far as I know. He'll surely face normal legal consequences which are bad enough. I don't see the reason to compound it.

Reasonable people can disagree on this. I just think the equivalent of a fine in the tens of thousands of dollars in addition to whatever legal consequences he'll face is overkill.

The crime isn't stabbing a player, or beating up a coach. The crime is trespassing on the field.

The situation was handled without anyone getting hurt. He wasn't armed as far as I know. He'll surely face normal legal consequences which are bad enough. I don't see the reason to compound it.

Reasonable people can disagree on this. I just think the equivalent of a fine in the tens of thousands of dollars in addition to whatever legal consequences he'll face is overkill.

It's not a fine. He lost his scholarship.

Again, scholarships often have guidelines attached to them. If you fall below a certain GPA, you'll probably lose your scholarship. If you commit a certain offense, you risk losing your scholarship.

The scholarship was a privilege that he once earned that he has now lost.

And he was an Evans scholar, so I guess it wasn't a university punishment after all.

KingGondo

Banned
It's not a fine. He lost his scholarship.

Again, scholarships often have guidelines attached to them. If you fall below a certain GPA, you'll probably lose your scholarship. If you commit a certain offense, you risk losing your scholarship.

The scholarship was a privilege that he once earned that he has now lost.

And he was an Evans scholar, so I guess it wasn't a university punishment after all.
I didn't say it was a fine, I said it was the *equivalent* of a fine. The money for tuition will have to come from somewhere else now.

Like I said earlier, reasonable people can disagree. The stunt seemed, and ultimately was, harmless. A victimless crime.

I didn't say it was a fine, I said it was the *equivalent* of a fine. The money for tuition will have to come from somewhere else now.

Like I said earlier, reasonable people can disagree. The stunt seemed, and ultimately was, harmless. A victimless crime.

If you accept money from an organization for your education, you agree to play by their rules.

He almost certainly broke their rules, so they aren't giving him any more money. They're not billing him for the money they already gave him; they just aren't giving him any more of it.

Again, I think it's perfectly reasonable for Evans Scholars to do this.

Draxal

Which is why I would be lenient on the the criminal case, but I understand why the Evans scholarship foundation would not want to be linked with such behavior.

Here's my pov, why should I feel especially sorry for this guy when there's been plenty of students who have to suffer through 4/5 years of oppressive student loans while this guy has to suffer 1 or 2 the most and they have never done something as stupid as this?

He's been confirmed to be a fourth year engineering student so Bert's assumption was pretty solid. (where mine wasn't an assumption but more of a wild guess).

KingGondo

Banned
I never argued that the organization didn't have the right to take away his scholarship, and I understand why they did (although it's not at all surprising that the scholarship is given out by country club types who wouldn't want "unseemly" behavior tarnishing their reputation).

It just seems like overkill to me.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I never argued that the organization didn't have the right to take away his scholarship, and I understand why they did (although it's not at all surprising that the scholarship is given out by country club types who wouldn't want "unseemly" behavior tarnishing their reputation).

It just seems like overkill to me.
I'm picturing you with your thumbs tucked behind your suspenders and giving them a little outward tug for emphasis as you say the word "unseemly."

Draxal

Ok Julie Hermann.

You make it too easy sometimes Draxal.

Is Steve Politi going to make up a story of me trespassing on a high school field 20 years ago and accuse me of being a monster that even repulses Sandusky?

Anyway, Greg Webb to Rutgers is official. If Darius Hamilton comes back and Turay continues get better, Rutgers will have a monstrous dline next year.

So are there any LSU or Auburn fans here with a 3DS? :p

Time for College Football to Settle It In Smash!

https://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN

Schedule:

LSU @ Auburn Oct 4
Penn State @ Michigan Oct 11
Georgia @ Arkansas Oct 18
Alabama @ Tennessee Oct 25
Florida @ Georgia Nov 1
Alabama @ LSU Nov 8
Florida State @ Miami Nov 15
Louisville @ Notre Dame Nov 22
Michigan @ Ohio State Nov 29

Big 10 gets to suck at two things at once now

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ESPN

Conspiracy theory: Fake injuries?

"You know the refs can't do anything about that, but it's horrible the way the tempo gets slowed down by these injuries. We went fast in the first quarter; I guess there were no fake injuries," he told reporters.

When asked for clarification Monday during his weekly media conference, Doeren did not back down: "One of the plays they stopped the game Saturday, the guy walked off the field as slow as humanly possible, and he's back in the game. I get it, if they are hurt, they're hurt. I'm not going to say a guy isn't hurt. But if they come right back in the game, then he might not have been hurt."

OH YEAH! Well the worlds biggest smoker came to last weeks game! and it had history channel stuff all over it so there!!!

*Insert big 10 and history channel joke here*

He can still apply for other financial aid like through FAFSA and see where he's at. Wouldn't necessarily have to come out of pocket. It'll also show if the parents are able to assist or not.

This is all standard stuff for student conduct review boards or scholarship committees.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
only mobile games I think I've spent time on (iPad), were "The Room" games and Cook, Serve, Delicious.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
only mobile games I think I've spent time on (iPad), were "The Room" games and Cook, Serve, Delicious.
Supporting fellow Gaffers. *High Five* I never played it, but bought it for the wife.

As far as gaming on my phone, I think I have temple run 2 for the kids to play when we're stuck someplace like the doctor's office.

KingGondo

Banned
The last great iOS game I downloaded was Threes. That was several months ago.

I just can't be bothered to wade through the ocean of shitty games, pay-to-progress bullshit, and mindless *taptaptap* games to find the good stuff.

JCX

So are there any LSU or Auburn fans here with a 3DS? :p

Big 10 gets to suck at two things at once now

Well what do you expect when they chose such flop games to go to? Also B1G West got shafted.

I may go to the one in Ann Arbor though. There was a fairly healthy melee scene here when I was in college.

Top Bottom