• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 6: Michigan Men Play Through Concussions

Honestly, wouldn't most NFL scouts be smart enough to take recommendations from a player's college head coach with a grain of salt?

Unless the coach really hates the player, they're probably always going to provide the scouts with overblown praise.

andycapps

He's suing for wrongful termination. He sent an email that looked like he was done claiming those statements and him not liking the direction of the defense. He then packed up and flew back to Maine. UCF moved on and hired a new coordinator. But Ferraro claimed he never quit and is being fired for whistle blowing over the alleged racial comments.

He has been trying to settle for the past few months and obviously UCF has not caved. Enter lawsuit.

As for the allegations, his lawyer acknowledges it went through the proper channels of investigation. He also acknowledges when he was questioned by the officials about it, he did not fully describe the alleged events. After that, he didn't hear anything from the school.

Reading the email in combination with him flying to Maine, I'd take that as a resignation, but I don't know. He had a phrase as "this isn't what I signed up for" when referring to the defensive scheme.

UCF put out a statement saying nobody he claims witnessed any possible statement has corroborated his information and the lawsuit is baseless, etc., etc. The also say he never reached out again until he was looking to talk about monetary settlements.

We'll see. Sucks to have that hanging around regardless. Thank you based god for Brady Hoke.

Edit: Full complaint.
http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/default.aspx
Case No: 2014-CA-010117-O

UCF Statement:

UCF immediately investigated the allegations Mr. Ferraro made when he abruptly abandoned his job. The university's Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office found the allegations to be untrue," said UCF Vice President for Communications and Marketing Grant Heston. "None of the individuals alleged to have been the subject of, or to have overhead, these supposed statements corroborated Mr. Ferraro's claims. In fact, until seeking compensation after abandoning his job, it does not appear he ever discussed this with anyone at UCF.

Right, they covered that in the article I posted. The quotes are so outlandish that I don't see there being any middle ground here. Either O'Leary said those things and nobody will back this guy up because they're scared of their own jobs, or he's out for payday for some unknown reason. I don't know why you'd do that and jeopardize your future career though.

Patryn

Michigan has to fire Hoke today, don't they? This is becoming a catastrophe for the school, if only on the PR front.

It has to be Brandon's last chance to save his job (although I think he's toast too). It's the only card he can play. Serve up Hoke and hope the mob doesn't continue building.

I'm a Spartan and even I'm cringing at what's happening over there.

Draxal

Michigan has to fire Hoke today, don't they? This is becoming a catastrophe for the school, if only on the PR front.

It has to be Brandon's last chance to save his job (although I think he's toast too). It's the only card he can play. Serve up Hoke and hope the mob doesn't continue building.

I'm a Spartan and even I'm cringing at what's happening over there.

I"m not sure you that you can get rid of him now as there's just not enough time left in the week, but he's going to get Kiffikened even if he wins 100-0 this weekend.

Limedust

Byydh9XIIAAfOII.jpg

So the Raiders are pissed at Jimbo because of their own bad decision-making?

jamarcuscrop.gif

Right, they covered that in the article I posted. The quotes are so outlandish that I don't see there being any middle ground here. Either O'Leary said those things and nobody will back this guy up because they're scared of their own jobs, or he's out for payday for some unknown reason. I don't know why you'd do that and jeopardize your future career though.
Well the reason would be is that he has been unable to find a different job since he resigned at UCF from what I am seeing. He was only on the job for a couple months and apparently has a history of short stints with abrupt exits.

His age probably isn't helping him either - even though that's obviously illegal. He stood to make about 220k/yr at UCF.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Just heard a filthy rumor that the UM medical staff was told to lie that Morris didn't have a concussion.
Yup:
Holy shit if this is true that Brandon wanted the medical staff to lie about Morris having a concussion:
https://twitter.com/mgoblog said:
mgoblog
‏@mgoblog
This statement took so long because the medical staff refused to lie.

mgoblog @mgoblog
This was a day-long fistfight over whether and how Michigan would admit they played a concussed player.

jjasper

Yeah Skaroliner has been incredibly lucky in their last two coaching searches. Being open at the right time to get two hall of fame coaches that turned nothing into something respectable. Hopefully their more sane see the problem bigger and better programs have had getting a good coach and realize shit isn't so bad. Winning 9+ games a year and dealing with The ball coach's brain farts is better than the 24 straight or whatever it was they lost in a row before Holtz turned it around.

Chris R

That Michigan video is pretty sickening, including the hit from the Minnesota defender. That kind of hit has no place in the game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The University needs to step up and end Hoke and the AD today.

This is one of those moments where you have to step back and realize that being one of the best public universities in the nation is worth a lot more than winning football and this is hurting your reputation at an institutional level.

The University needs to step up and end Hoke and the AD today.

This is one of those moments where you have to step back and realize that being one of the best public universities in the nation is worth a lot more than winning football and this is hurting your reputation at an institutional level.

A lesson Cal learned years ago.

Just give up, Michigan. Like Cal.

The quickest way for this to change is the same way that things changed with the AP situation. The people with lots of money flowing to the football program have to stop letting that money flow to the football program.

The quickest way for this to change is the same way that things changed with the AP situation. The people with lots of money flowing to the football program have to stop letting that money flow to the football program.

From what I've read, though, apparently a lot of the biggest, richest Michigan boosters are still very much in support of Brandon - or at least were until very recently - probably because Brandon was one of them just a few years ago. He's their friend.

But if Hoke's press conference and Brandon's subsequent statement are any indication, Brandon is throwing Hoke to the vultures right now. Hoke was completely unprepared for that conference and Brandon's statement contradicted Hoke in about a thousand different ways.

Draxal

From what I've read, though, apparently a lot of the biggest, richest Michigan boosters are still very much in support of Brandon - or at least were until very recently - probably because Brandon was one of them just a few years ago. He's their friend.

But if Hoke's press conference and Brandon's subsequent statement are any indication, Brandon is throwing Hoke to the vultures right now. Hoke was completely unprepared for that conference and Brandon's statement contradicted Hoke in about a thousand different ways.

Ayup, Brandon is desperately trying to save his job now.

One of the funnier things about Dave Brandon's horrible tenure as Michigan A.D. is that it's almost certainly going to destroy his political ambitions.

So that's one fewer Republican asshole you folks up north will have to deal with.

andycapps

UGA will have their resident women's book club member, Malcolm Mitchell, back this week unless he has another setback. He and Scott-Wesley will both be back, actually. We will finally have some receivers capable of stretching the field. We'll see if that gives Mason some more confidence. Should make running even easier for Gurley since less defenders in the box.

Draxal

So a second four star in a month is transferring back to Rutgers from the ACC. It looks like we're doing a decent enough getting talent back into the system.

inm8num2

http://btn.com/2014/09/30/heres-what-brady-hoke-had-to-say-on-todays-big-ten-teleconference/

Hoke on Big Ten call: I’m not going to add anything to that statement today

— angelique (@chengelis) September 30, 2014

Hoke says he won't add to statement released by A.D. other than to say safety of athletes is a priority.

— Chris Balas (@Balas_Wolverine) September 30, 2014

Hoke: We put out a statement yesterday and i'm going to let that speak for itself

— Mark Snyder (@Mark__Snyder) September 30, 2014

Hoke adds that he feels bad for Shane Morris having to go through all of this.

— Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) September 30, 2014

#Michigan HC Brady Hoke on relationship with Dave Brandon: "We’re very supportive of each other."

— Brian Hamilton (@BrianHamiltonSI) September 30, 2014

Brady Hoke declined to say when he met w Dave Brandon and when he learned of Morris’ concussion

— Joe Schad (@schadjoe) September 30, 2014

Hoke on interacting with Brandon: "Have I spoken (to him) in the last 48 hours? No question about it"

— Mark Snyder (@Mark__Snyder) September 30, 2014

Hoke doesn't know if Morris will play this weekend.

— Nick Baumgardner (@nickbaumgardner) September 30, 2014

That's the end of Hoke's segment of the Big Ten teleconference. Okay, then.

— Ace Anbender (@AceAnbender) September 30, 2014

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

#Michigan HC Brady Hoke on relationship with Dave Brandon: "We’re very supportive of each other."

#Michigan HC Brady Hoke: "For example, I'm very supportive of Dave's new found interest in stepping in front of busses."

Yep.

I'm Climbing back up the charts!

GAF Pick'em Week 6 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise noted)

(THU) UCF @ Houston by 4
(FRI) Louisville @ Syracuse by 4
Texas A&M @ Mississippi State by 12
Florida @ Tennessee by 4
Alabama @ Ole Miss by 6
Oklahoma @ TCU by 6
Stanford @ Notre Dame by 7
Wisconsin @ Northwestern by 12
LSU @ Auburn by 6
Michigan @ Rutgers by 4
Miami @ Georgia Tech by 4
Nebraska @ Michigan State by 9