• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 7: Katy Perry, Football Goddess. Everyone else, Cougin It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Seems weird that he would want to jeopardize his own livelihood by ratting on Gurley, but I don't see any other issue with the story. Have Gurley sit one game and donate $400 to charity. End of discussion. Unless they find evidence that he's done it before and since the incident being discussed.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. mre. I'm not big city lawyah or nothing, but that is pretty much the death penalty for years to come. I expect Georgia to lose scholarships, Richt to be fined, and Gurley to have to sit out the preseason and 14:25 minutes of possession time to wherever he is drafted in week 1... if he even gets a look by some NFL team with apparently no self-respect.

For shame, Todd Gurley. FOR SHAME.

Dsyndrome

Wish he would've seen what he's done and admitted it, but he's in college and such. Hope he doesn't get tossed for the season, just like I hope Keivarae Russell somehow doesn't get booted from ND.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Whoa, whoa, whoa. mre. I'm not big city lawyah or nothing, but that is pretty much the death penalty for years to come. I expect Georgia to lose scholarships, Richt to be fined, and Gurley to have to sit out the preseason and 14:25 minutes of possession time to wherever he is drafted in week 1... if he even gets a look by some NFL team with apparently no self-respect.

For shame, Todd Gurley. FOR SHAME.
That is the other option, of course.

Ganhyun

Pollack on ESPN trying to say that UGA wont be hurt as bad as people think. Gurley is like 35-40% of our offense. All we have in reserves is Chubbs, who is not Gurley. Mason is useless at QB other than to hand off to Gurley and toss very short passes. Without Gurley he will implode.

Supposedly the guy who ratted Gurley out is scared people will find out who he is as he lives in Georgia and fears reprisal from fans.

I have to feel like its worse than memorabilia. Indefinite suspension? For that?

DominoKid

Pollack on ESPN trying to say that UGA wont be hurt as bad as people think. Gurley is like 35-40% of our offense. All we have in reserves is Chubbs, who is not Gurley. Mason is useless at QB other than to hand off to Gurley and toss very short passes. Without Gurley he will implode.

Supposedly the guy who ratted Gurley out is scared people will find out who he is as he lives in Georgia and fears reprisal from fans.

I have to feel like its worse than memorabilia. Indefinite suspension? For that?

well then what the fuck did he tell it for?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
well then what the fuck did he tell it for?

4nseBTK.gif

lol

andycapps

Is more or less verbatim on that reddit post I posted earlier. Got to be the same guy.

Yup, apparently this dude has been trying to sell off this story for weeks. And this video that he claims to have doesn't show money changing hands. So I'm not sure if any punishment could be meted out by the NCAA anyway. UGA probably still punishes them because we like punching ourselves in the nuts for no reason.

Seems weird that he would want to jeopardize his own livelihood by ratting on Gurley, but I don't see any other issue with the story. Have Gurley sit one game and donate $400 to charity. End of discussion. Unless they find evidence that he's done it before and since the incident being discussed.

I agree. Gentry Estes at 247 did a good article on if this is true, how many games might Gurley miss? Gist of it is that if the autograph dealer isn't deemed to be an agent by the NCAA (who plays with the rules as they see fit) then it would be a 1 game suspension of the amount in question is $400 or less. It could go up to 3 games if the autograph dealer is deemed to be an agent.

The whole thing with this guy shopping around the story when it allegedly took place in the spring is fishy. I'm not saying it isn't true, it's just strange. I wouldn't rule out an opposing fan trying to take Gurley out, but surely our compliance department and the NCAA could see through that. Well, hopefully UGA can anyway. And this guy's name is going to come out, and when he does, I pity him. The reaction he's going to get from fans is going to probably make him leave the state. I'm not saying that's right, but it's going to happen. If he gave money to a college kid and has been trying to make money off of it, that's a pretty scummy thing to do, so in that sense I wouldn't feel that sorry for him having to deal with negative repercussions as well.

Indefinite suspension is what UGA has to do for now so that they don't get reamed by the NCAA for ignoring an issue when they became aware of it. tOSU says hello.

Chubb is a great back and is probably our replacement for Gurley, but he's not Gurley, as you said. We haven't had a back like Gurley since Garrison Hearst, and maybe even since Walker. You can't replace a back like him. Mason and possibly Ramsey will have to take the training wheels off and be more confident in their abilities if they can't lean on Gurley this weekend. I think it speaks volumes that Richt is playing Ramsey at all when games aren't in question. Mason is undoubtedly on a short leash and could be yanked if they feel Ramsey has a good enough feel for the offense and ability to read defenses.

That said, I'm probably updating my pick to change it to Mizzou this weekend. I doubt Gurley plays and up until now, he's been 3/4 of our offense. Without him, sure, other guys could step up, but that's an unknown. The good thing is that Scott-Wesley and Malcolm Mitchell are back, and that's not something that can be understated.

Talka

Georgia @ Missouri by 6
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 4
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 7
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 6
Oregon @ UCLA by 10
Washington @ California by 6
Penn State @ Michigan by 8
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 6
USC @ Arizona by 10

Kacar

Yea just something near what Jameis did @ Clemson last year and he will be up there. He does throw pretty passes.

Tamanon

Banned
500 autographed items for Gurley per ESPN, wonder how much he was really paid.

Ready for that rule to someday be gone.

VT game likely killed his chances.

First big game of his career where the oline was garbage and he looked liek troy in the 2006 bcs game. If he goes out and drop 300 and a couple of TDs on sparty hes right back in it. Although I see now way in which he wins it, he would at least be in the discussion at that point.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
First big game of his career where the oline was garbage and he looked liek troy in the 2006 bcs game. If he goes out and drop 300 and a couple of TDs on sparty hes right back in it. Although I see now way in which he wins it, he would at least be in the discussion at that point.

I wouldn't say the Virginia Tech game killed his chances (of being in the conversation, I mean), but looking over the schedule it does seem like they are somehow probably the best team he's played so far, and it was a loss.

Add some wins against Rutgers and Penn State and I bet he starts getting talked about more; not that they're amazing teams or anything, but at some point the "good enough schedule" and W-L record will start to combine for him.

JCX

Georgia @ Missouri by 12
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 9
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 8
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 8
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 11
TCU @ Baylor by 9
Oregon @ UCLA by 9
Penn State @ Michigan by 8
LSU @ Florida by 12
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by
USC @ Arizona by 13

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 6
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by X
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 7
TCU @ Baylor by 10
Oregon @ UCLA by 6
Penn State @ Michigan by 4
LSU @ Florida by 6
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

Kinda surprised Georgia is still favored despite not having Gurley.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I actually see voters holding the fact that he's a freshman against him. They want to avoid another Winston or Manziel-sized embarrassment.

I actually see voters holding the fact that he's a freshman against him. They want to avoid another Winston or Manziel-sized embarrassment.

Likely, and why I think he wont win (plus hes been putting up numbers vs bad teams), but if he maintains and we win out he is at least in NY. (thats a BIG if though)

andycapps

Gurley did not travel to Mizzou today or practice yesterday. Lot of rumors out there right now, not sure what to believe now. Hearing 1 game, 2-3 games, won't play again at all. Runs the gamut of possible outcomes, nobody seems to know. But given that our athletic department seems to leak like a sieve, I wouldn't be shocked if we knew the outcome before the weekend is out and the official announcement is released.

AJC reporting that UGA is expecting a ruling from NCAA investigation by early next week. As a Georgia fan, I expect the worse so I expect that he's played his last game already and will start preparing for the combine.

Gurley did not travel to Mizzou today or practice yesterday. Lot of rumors out there right now, not sure what to believe now. Hearing 1 game, 2-3 games, won't play again at all. Runs the gamut of possible outcomes, nobody seems to know. But given that our athletic department seems to leak like a sieve, I wouldn't be shocked if we knew the outcome before the weekend is out and the official announcement is released.

AJC reporting that UGA is expecting a ruling from NCAA investigation by early next week. As a Georgia fan, I expect the worse so I expect that he's played his last game already and will start preparing for the combine.

Troy Smith got 2 games for taking $500, so if $400 is it I would suspect that.

andycapps

Troy Smith got 2 games for taking $500, so if $400 is it I would suspect that.

I think the likelihood if money did change hands is that it was more than $400. If it was really only $400, then that is just our luck. I mean, Todd Gurley should be able to get much more than that if he wanted to sell his signature.

Yeah, I saw that. I've seen other "insiders" say 2 games. Also, their original story said "Source: NCAA violation likely end Gurley’s season", and now it reflects "may end." So they're backtracking some. Typical AJC throwing out stuff to see if it sticks.

Deadspin is saying that the guy who went public is a "spiteful memorabilia dealer." Basically, that Todd Gurley was flooding the market with how many things he was signing for other dealers and that as a result his product (making tons of money off Gurley's signature) was no longer worth as much money.

His name and location is out there now on numerous Georgia messageboards. He may want to leave the state.

Ganhyun

I think the likelihood if money did change hands is that it was more than $400. If it was really only $400, then that is just our luck. I mean, Todd Gurley should be able to get much more than that if he wanted to sell his signature.

Yeah, I saw that. I've seen other "insiders" say 2 games. Also, their original story said "Source: NCAA violation likely end Gurley’s season", and now it reflects "may end." So they're backtracking some. Typical AJC throwing out stuff to see if it sticks.

Deadspin is saying that the guy who went public is a "spiteful memorabilia dealer." Basically, that Todd Gurley was flooding the market with how many things he was signing for other dealers and that as a result his product (making tons of money off Gurley's signature) was no longer worth as much money.

His name and location is out there now on numerous Georgia messageboards. He may want to leave the state.

Is it true the dealer is a Gata fan too?

andycapps

Is it true the dealer is a Gata fan too?

There are a couple names going around on Facebook right now. SEC Rant and the other boards seem to be pulling those names down if people post them, so I'm not going to post about them here since it's not known for sure who it was. One of the rumored memorabilia dealers is a Florida alum, though.

Yeah, just saw a name of a dealer posted and I guess his number has already been disconnected. This is going to be uglier for him than Gurley.

Ganhyun

There are a couple names going around on Facebook right now. SEC Rant and the other boards seem to be pulling those names down if people post them, so I'm not going to post about them here since it's not known for sure who it was. One of the rumored memorabilia dealers is a Florida alum, though.

Yeah, just saw a name of a dealer posted and I guess his number has already been disconnected. This is going to be uglier for him than Gurley.

This whole thing is a mess.

hahaha the Buck and Kincaide show on 680

Buck Belue "If there is no receipt, Gurley must compete"

lmao.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

UGA fans are shameful. Guy/s just doing his NCAA/Civic duty, turning in a known cheater, and they're trying to send him hundreds of pizzas and black page faxes. Bunch of Dwag Savages.

andycapps

UGA fans are shameful. Guy/s just doing his NCAA/Civic duty, turning in a known cheater, and they're trying to send him hundreds of pizzas and black page faxes. Bunch of Dwag Savages.

I did see that Dude You Crazy posted a website to send dog shit or other kinds of shit to people via the mail. So they posted the NCAA address.

pxleyes

Banned
Well then

"The student who accused Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her criminal complaint.'' -- #UF's official statement

Ganhyun

Well then

"The student who accused Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her criminal complaint.'' -- #UF's official statement

Guess those Gata fans got to her and forced her to accept being sexually assaulted.

I don't think that actually happened.

Enron

Banned
Or McGarity. But reach down to your inner Munson, you know that it's best to assume the worst. Which is that Gurley has played his last down of college football.

680 The Fan just confirmed that a "uga source" has told AJC Reporter Chip Towers that Todd Gurley is done for the season. Which means he's done as a Georgia Bulldog.

The ajc is a rag, but I know Chip Towers personally through the Bulldog Radio Network and from having worked with his wife for ~4 years. I trust him. And this is exactly what I thought would happen.

Nothing good ever fucking happens to this program. Nothing.

andycapps

680 The Fan just confirmed that a "uga source" has told AJC Reporter Chip Towers that Todd Gurley is done for the season. Which means he's done as a Georgia Bulldog.

The ajc is a rag, but I know Chip Towers personally through the Bulldog Radio Network and from having worked with his wife for ~4 years. I trust him. And this is exactly what I thought would happen.

Nothing good ever fucking happens to this program. Nothing.

Yeah, if Chip Towers is saying it, I tend to believe him. I don't trust most of the other writers there, but he's one of the few that doesn't have an axe to grind with UGA.

Enron

Banned
let me rephrase that. "likely" done for the season were the exact words on 680.

The case against Gurley is "significant".

ag-my001

Missouri by 7
WVU by 13
Minnesota by 4
Georgia Tech by 7
Mississippi state by 10
Baylor by 10
ucla by 4
California by 7
Penn State by 7
LSU by 7
Texas A&M by 7
Arizona by 14

That's all kinds of ridiculous, but not surprising. It's not everybody, but a lot of people need to take sports eleventy billion percent less seriously, particularly sports played by unpaid athletes, but not even limited to that.

I can't help but notice that people seem to watch games mad. It's like... chill, dude! (Or Phyllis.) It's just a game.

Enron

Banned
ESPN just revealed the name. 680 The Fan just read it aloud, spelled it out, etc.

Bryan Allen

Has hired the highest profile attorney in Atlanta to represent him.

link

A Georgia man who allegedly paid suspended University of Georgia Bulldogs running back Todd Gurley to autograph sports memorabilia has hired a high-profile Atlanta attorney.

Ed Garland, who has represented former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, former NHL all-star Dany Heatley and rapper T.I. in high-profile criminal cases, told ESPN.com on Friday that he has been retained by Bryan Allen, a sports memorabilia dealer, whose relationship with Gurley is being investigated by UGA officials.

"I do represent Bryan Allen," Garland said. "He's not going to be making any statements. Really, I have nothing else to say."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom