• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 7: Katy Perry, Football Goddess. Everyone else, Cougin It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Welp, his name is officially out there (and it's different than the ones I saw, so people were just guessing). It's Bryan Allen and he's retained a high profile attorney. Honestly, I'm not sure why he retained an attorney if he didn't do anything wrong, but maybe mre can fill me in. I'm assuming he just wants people to leave him alone and call his attorney. I can see Gurley retaining an attorney (if he came from money, which he doesn't), but I doubt he can.

Mark Schlabach/ESPN is reporting on it as well, so I'm starting to think that Gurley is done as well. Shame.

A Georgia man who allegedly paid suspended University of Georgia Bulldogs running back Todd Gurley to autograph sports memorabilia has hired a high-profile Atlanta attorney.

Ed Garland, who has represented former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, former NHL all-star Dany Heatley and rapper T.I. in high-profile criminal cases, told ESPN.com on Friday that he has been retained by Bryan Allen, a sports memorabilia dealer, whose relationship with Gurley is being investigated by UGA officials.

"I do represent Bryan Allen," Garland said. "He's not going to be making any statements. Really, I have nothing else to say."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Perhaps have the attorney there, to go after people sending harassing phone calls/letters/pizza pizza.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't get it though. Why would the guy that got Gurley to sign stuff then go public about it? It seems to me it would come from a third party who found out about it.

andycapps

I don't get it though. Why would the guy that got Gurley to sign stuff then go public about it? It seems to me it would come from a third party who found out about it.

The short answer is that this dude seems like a sick individual who is obviously profiting by making money off athletes images and autographs, and that he was upset because Gurley was allegedly signing so many autographs with other dealers that it was driving his profits down. That is his claim anyway. Seems like a real piece of work. Encourages a 20 year old with no money to do something saying it'll all be okay and then rats them out.

Lonestar

Think it's that he gave Gurley alot of money to sign items, then noticed that he also signed alot of items for alot of other people. Too many items out there, results in too much supply, lowering the cost of the items. Market was flooded with too much Gurley.

Reports on Twitter say that Georgia's online store has taken down #3 jerseys. Not absent on Twitter are rhetorical questions of "why?," since those #3 jerseys are totally, completely, without a doubt not related in any way to the person that wears #3 for the Georgia football team.

Lonestar

Video of the upstanding citizen, Bryan Adams Allen

lol @ the thumbsdown.

Similar type of group-think as Winston supporters.

3kiK3Rx.jpg

His store, today. Long since closed. Nice olde timey Georgia logo on the window.

https://www.facebook.com/RomePlayers/reviews
Facebook page for his defunct business, with a surprising uptick of ratings/comments lately.

Reports on Twitter say that Georgia's online store has taken down #3 jerseys. Not absent on Twitter are rhetorical questions of "why?," since those #3 jerseys are totally, completely, without a doubt not related in any way to the person that wears #3 for the Georgia football team.

Wow. That's like getting in a late night police chase, cutting into a neighborhood, then pulling into a random driveway to shut off the engine and lights, then as the police officer drives by, you turn your headlights back on to draw attention to yourself. Sometimes the best reaction is to do nothing, especially if you're trying desperately to convince people that the universities aren't profiting off of a player's likeness.

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 10
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 7
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 7
TCU @ Baylor by 4
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
Washington @ California by 4
Penn State @ Michigan by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 7
USC @ Arizona by 4

tokkun

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 11
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 7
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 7
TCU @ Baylor by 4
Oregon @ UCLA by 7
LSU @ Florida by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

Lonestar

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-florida-state-tallahassee-police-hindered-investigation-documents-101014

About to read, lets see if the NCAA should shut down FSU, if they hindered a rape investigation

Among the findings:
-- The university's police chief obtained original police reports as well as supplemental reports from Tallahassee police on Nov. 8, 2013, at least four days before the case was turned over to Meggs, the local prosecutor responsible for investigating serious crimes and filing criminal charges.
-- The university's police chief forwarded the reports to a high-ranking administrator in the Florida State athletic department, and within days they ultimately wound up in the hands of Winston's defense attorney -- also before Meggs was notified of the case and launched his own investigation.
-- Two critical witnesses -- Florida State football players who said they were present the morning of the alleged assault -- discussed the case with Winston's lawyer and ultimately signed affidavits at his behest backing the quarterback's version of the incident. That happened before law enforcement officers tried to talk to them about what they saw and remembered, a dramatic road block in the state attorney's effort to determine whether Winston should be charged with rape.
-- That same high-ranking administrator in the athletic department sought information from the university's police chief about a reporter seeking the reports on the allegations against Winston.
-- The second-highest ranking officer in the campus police department ran interference with another reporter seeking information about the allegations, terming them a "rumor" that he was glad he could "dispel."
-- Both of those police officials were involved in updating Florida State administrators on the case and helping formulate the school's public relations response in the first days after the explosive story became public.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Welp, his name is officially out there (and it's different than the ones I saw, so people were just guessing). It's Bryan Allen and he's retained a high profile attorney. Honestly, I'm not sure why he retained an attorney if he didn't do anything wrong, but maybe mre can fill me in. I'm assuming he just wants people to leave him alone and call his attorney. I can see Gurley retaining an attorney (if he came from money, which he doesn't), but I doubt he can.

Mark Schlabach/ESPN is reporting on it as well, so I'm starting to think that Gurley is done as well. Shame.
I'm not well versed in sports law (which is state specific anyway), but from what I can tell he hasn't violated Georgia's Uniform Athlete Agents Act. Unless Georgia courts have interpreted the statute in a manner inconsistent with its plain meaning, then I don't see Allen as falling under its definition of an "Athlete Agent." Maybe Georgia has some other applicable laws that I just don't know about, but from what I can tell, this guy, while a dickbag, hasn't seemingly violated any laws.

Fake edit:

Found this before I posted:

§ 20-2-318. Intercollegiate athletics; remedies for improper activities

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Immediate family" shall mean a student-athlete's spouse, child, parent, stepparent, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, mother-in-law, father-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, nephew, niece, aunt, uncle, first cousin, and the spouses and guardians of any such individuals.

(2) "Person" shall mean an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, firm, or any other legal or commercial entity.

(3) "Student-athlete" shall mean a student at any public or private institution of postsecondary education in this state or a student residing in this state who has applied, is eligible to apply, or may be eligible to apply in the future to a public or private institution of postsecondary education who engages in, is eligible to engage in, or may be eligible to engage in any intercollegiate sporting event, contest, exhibition, or program.

(b) Each public and private institution of postsecondary education located in this state that participates or engages in intercollegiate athletics shall have a right of action against any person who engages in any activity concerning student-athletes that results in the institution being penalized, disqualified, or suspended from participation in intercollegiate athletics by a national association for the promotion and regulation of intercollegiate athletics, by an athletic conference or other sanctioning body, or by reasonable self-imposed disciplinary action taken by such institution to mitigate sanctions likely to be imposed by such organizations as a result of such activity. The institution shall be entitled to recover all damages which are directly related to or which flow from and are reasonably related to such improper activity and to such penalties, disqualifications, and suspensions. Damages shall include, but not be limited to, loss of scholarships, loss of television revenue, loss of bowl revenue, and legal and other fees associated with the investigation of the activity and the representation of the institution before the sanctioning organizations in connection with the investigation and resolution of such activity. If the institution is the prevailing party in its cause of action, it shall be entitled to an award of court costs, costs of litigation, and reasonable attorney's fees. The institution may also request and the court may enter an injunction against any person found liable from having any further contact with the institution, its student-athletes, and student-athletes who have expressed or might express an interest in attending the institution and from attending athletic contests, exhibitions, games, or other such events in which one or more of the institution's student-athletes is participating. The right of action and remedies under this Code section are in addition to all other rights of action which may be available to the institution.
So he may have some liability here.

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 9
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 7
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 7
Oregon @ UCLA by 14
LSU @ Florida by 7
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 7
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 13
TCU @ Baylor by 13
Oregon @ UCLA by 17
LSU @ Florida by 17
USC @ Arizona by 7

Georgia @ Missouri by 6
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 7
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 9
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 10
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 5
TCU @ Baylor by 8
Oregon @ UCLA by 11
Washington @ California by 6
Penn State @ Michigan by 7
LSU @ Florida by 12
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 5
USC @ Arizona by 9

cdyhybrid

David Shaw runs out on the field to scream at the refs while a Wazzu players lays motionless on the field.

Dat Stanford class.

Subitai

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 6
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 10
TCU @ Baylor by 4
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
Penn State @ Michigan by 9
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 10
USC @ Arizona by 4

cashman

Banned
GAF Pick'em Week 7 Games

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 10
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 8
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 13
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 6
TCU @ Baylor by 7
Oregon @ UCLA by 14
Penn State @ Michigan by 16
LSU @ Florida by 7
USC @ Arizona by 6

andycapps

I'm not well versed in sports law (which is state specific anyway), but from what I can tell he hasn't violated Georgia's Uniform Athlete Agents Act. Unless Georgia courts have interpreted the statute in a manner inconsistent with its plain meaning, then I don't see Allen as falling under its definition of an "Athlete Agent." Maybe Georgia has some other applicable laws that I just don't know about, but from what I can tell, this guy, while a dickbag, hasn't seemingly violated any laws.

Fake edit:

Found this before I posted:

So he may have some liability here.
Yeah, I think he's about to get sued and Gurley may be getting out of this soon. UGA AD put out a press release at 6 saying basically there has been a lot of misinformation going on about the case but they can't say more at this time. They're paying for an attorney for Gurley and say it's allowed under NCAA regulations.

The news of who the attorney was has me feeling a lot better. Same guy that represented Cam and JFF. If he's coming around for this, I feel more confident they're going to stick up for Todd and tell the NCAA where to put this. And from what I read, because UGA was advised of these issues, the investigation is entirely up to UGA. NCAA has no power to subpoena. Basically, the punishment may be up to UGA as long as they can prove they did a thorough investigation.

Enron

Banned
Yeah, I think he's about to get sued and Gurley may be getting out of this soon. UGA AD put out a press release at 6 saying basically there has been a lot of misinformation going on about the case but they can't say more at this time. They're paying for an attorney for Gurley and say it's allowed under NCAA regulations.

The news of who the attorney was has me feeling a lot better. Same guy that represented Cam and JFF. If he's coming around for this, I feel more confident they're going to stick up for Todd and tell the NCAA where to put this. And from what I read, because UGA was advised of these issues, the investigation is entirely up to UGA. NCAA has no power to subpoena. Basically, the punishment may be up to UGA as long as they can prove they did a thorough investigation.

It's not Ed Tolley?

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 4
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 6
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 10
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 11
TCU @ Baylor by 7
Oregon @ UCLA by 6
Washington @ California by 6
LSU @ Florida by 11
USC @ Arizona by 11

I feel like we're due to lay an egg. Played our worst game of the year last week, thankfully it was against Kansas.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How was Cajuste that concussed after that fall? It didn't even look like his head snapped back as it hit the ground.

Pretty funny the officials are playing this laissez faire with the PIs though. Stanford should start blowing up the receivers on defense.

Lol, never mind.

I appreciate the irony in an Auburn fan complaining about this.

Yeah man, we totally got away with...................? Oh yeah, Cam Newton's dad was offered money by MSU. Yeah, how did Auburn get away with that?

We weren't accused of anything on the level of what FSU is being accused of.

Way to shift the discussion away from a topic that's actually relevant at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom