• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 7: Katy Perry, Football Goddess. Everyone else, Cougin It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

He's never said anything about it before, and I know the home team gets 3 automatically. I'll just change it, but I think its dumb if I think ACME State is going to beat University of Ajax 20-17 and the difference is 3, that I can't pick 3.

Feel free to do what you want, just trying to help out.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The original post about people being banned for MoV picks was that you would get banned for "a margin of victory of less than 3 points," so exactly 3 should be fine.

Personally, I think we should let people pick 1 if they want to. Reading and understanding the rules is part of the game so if they want to give away points then that's fine with me.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
He's never said anything about it before, and I know the home team gets 3 automatically. I'll just change it, but I think its dumb if I think ACME State is going to beat University of Ajax 20-17 and the difference is 3, that I can't pick 3.

Week One thread, brah: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126794918&postcount=17 --> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126845279&postcount=36
The original post about people being banned for MoV picks was that you would get banned for "a margin of victory of less than 3 points," so exactly 3 should be fine.
Touche, Monroeski. Touche.

desh

It really isn't. BCS decided a number 1 and number 2 team in the country, and those two teams played in a National championship game to decide who would be MNC.

This is a vast improvement on the silly bullshit system we had before.

You're right. The top two BCS teams played for the MNC every year, but there has been quite a few years where the top two BCS teams were not a consensus 1 and 2.

2000: Florida State, Miami, and Washington all finished the regular season with 1 loss. Florida State lost to Miami, and Miami lost to Washington, yet Florida State was chosen as #2 to face undefeated Oklahoma

2001: 11-1 Nebraska gets in over Oregon, despite Nebraska not winning their division (lost to Colorado in last week of season), and 10-1 Oregon winning the Pac-10

2003: This is probably the most controversial of them all, and it led to the AP removing themselves from the BCS formula after the 2004 season. This season also produced the only split national championship during the BCS era. USC, LSU, and Oklahoma were the only AQ teams to finish the regular season with 1 loss. USC was ranked #1 by both the AP and Coahces poll, yet BCS placed them #3 behind LSU and Oklahoma. LSU and USC went on to win their bowl games, and USC remained #1 in the AP poll, while the coaches poll was obligated to vote LSU #1 in their poll as dictated by the BCS.

These are probably the most egregious controversies that the BCS has had. One thing to note, is that after every one of these controversies, the BCS changed its formula, finally cementing its formula in 2004 (with the exception of the Harris poll replacing the AP poll). Additionally, if you were to apply the 2004 formula to the 2000, 2001, and 2003 years, then the top two teams from each of those years would have been:

• 2000: 1 Oklahoma, 2 Miami
    2001: 1 Miami, 2 Oregon
    2003: 1 USC, 2 LSU

andycapps

Personally, I think we should let people pick 1 if they want to. Reading and understanding the rules is part of the game so if they want to give away points then that's fine with me.

I stand corrected. Do your thing, truly.

.@jcshurburtt: Quote from an informed party: "AJ McCarron saying Bama lacks leadership is like Ray Rice giving me tips on how to treat my girlfriend."

Westonian

GAF Pick'em Week 7 Games

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 4
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 6
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 7
TCU @ Baylor by 6
Oregon @ UCLA by 6
Washington @ California by 7
Penn State @ Michigan by 10
LSU @ Florida by 6
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 7
USC @ Arizona by 7

After this past week, life has a little less color. Sigh.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 6
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 6
TCU @ Baylor by 4
Oregon @ UCLA by 7
Washington @ California by 6
Penn State @ Michigan by 6
LSU @ Florida by 6
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 6
USC @ Arizona by 6

So, is it confirmed that whoever wins from Oregon/UCLA, will be based on whose offensive line doesn't get their QB killed?

KingGondo

Banned
Georgia @ Missouri by 4
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 18
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 17
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
Washington @ California by 4
Penn State @ Michigan by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

Lots of tough picks this week.

GAF Pick'em Week 7 Games

Georgia] @ Missouri by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 4
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 7
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 7
TCU @ Baylor by 10
Oregon @ UCLA by 13
Washington @ California by 10
Penn State @ Michigan by 7
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 10
USC @ Arizona by 10

I don't feel good about any of my picks but I'm figuring the upsetters are the ones who lose this week.
Also, GT fans are annoying, nobody cares about your perennial 7-5 football team, go away. And yes, nobody cares about Duke football either, but at least Duke fans aren't delusional enough to think differently.

Speaking of Duke and Georgia Tech, pick it!

Or are you superstitious about picking Duke games?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
GAF Pick'em Week 7 Games

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 13
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 7
USC @ Arizona by 4

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Speaking of Duke and Georgia Tech, pick it!

Or are you superstitious about picking Duke games?

I didn't pick most of the Duke games last year. After the Pitt loss, I stopped. It worked out well. Duke will job to GT, they always job to that shitty offense, but I won't contribute to the jobbing by jinxing them.

AntoneM

GAF Pick'em Week 7 Games

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
Auburn @ Mississippi State by 9
TCU @ Baylor by 12
Oregon @ UCLA by 6
Penn State @ Michigan by 6
LSU @ Florida by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

Almost forgot. well not really, but I usually have picks in by Tuesday.

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 1
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 3
Auburn@ Mississippi State by 20
TCU @ Baylor by 7
Oregon @ UCLA by 3
Washington @ California by 6
Penn State @ Michigan by 1
LSU @ Florida by 2
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 12
USC @ Arizona by 6

Westonian

Our Cougars won't Coog!

Who am I kidding. Our defense is baby thigh soft. And Stewart is a complete unknown. BYU is going to lose tonight. And I don't even have alcohol to deaden the pain.

Georgia @ Missouri by 6
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 7
TCU @ Baylor by 17
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 13
USC @ Arizona by 14

MSU/Purdue is not only a 3:30 game but it's on ABC. Wtf?

Ganhyun

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 6
Oregon @ UCLA by 4
LSU @ Florida by 4
USC @ Arizona by 4

Enfinit

Picking two and having them play for number 1 is still way better than just letting the polls decide after a regular season or after random bowl matchups.
I mean, the BCS got it right more times than not. It wasn't a perfect system, but it got the job done for what it was.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
All of you guys picking against Tech this week will regret it. They had a players only meeting this week, which of course is as good as guaranteeing a win.
I mean, the BCS got it right more times than not. It wasn't a perfect system, but it got the job done for what it was.

The problem is that "what it was" didn't really have an analog in any other sports league on earth. That was the real problem with it; if the same type of system were much more widespread, it wouldn't have gotten the grief that it did, but it being alone AND controversial made it much worse.

You may not like the wild card system in sports playoffs, for example, but practically every sport has it so you see tweaks here and there (different # of teams in the playoff system, first round byes in the NFL playoffs, play in games in MLB and March Madness, etc.) but the system itself appears to be generally sound.

The BCS system was ridiculous and every other sports league agreed in practice.

Talon

Gurley suspended.
University of Georgia tailback Todd Gurley has been indefinitely suspended from competition by the UGA Athletic Association during an ongoing investigation into an alleged violation of NCAA rules.

"I¹m obviously very disappointed," said UGA head football coach Mark Richt. "The important thing for our team is to turn all our attention toward preparation for Missouri."
Sucks. :|

Man, I want to believe it's not an illegal benefits thing, but hearing how he grew up all the way through high school in a trailer home with nothing...makes it hard to believe it's not.

Georgia @ Missouri by 7
West Virginia @ Texas Tech by 6
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 12
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 4
TCU @ Baylor by 5
Oregon @ UCLA by 6
Penn State @ Michigan by 10
LSU @ Florida by 4
USC @ Arizona by 7

Chris R

Georgia @ Missouri by 4
Northwestern @ Minnesota by 10
Duke @ Georgia Tech by 10
TCU @ Baylor by 7
Oregon @ UCLA by 10
Penn State @ Michigan by 14
LSU @ Florida by 7
Ole Miss @ Texas A&M by 10
USC @ Arizona by 7

Lonestar

Wheres the UGA reaction gif when you need it.

UGAHouse_original.gif

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Two suspended players are the difference in us being 2-3 and 4-1. Talk about bad timing.

Meier

I find this one to be more accurate. They had to know the other shoe was going to drop, it's been awhile since they've had good news. Resigned to their fate.

Possibility this was Autograph signing, as a Reddit topic from 2 weeks ago mentioned that a heisman candidate was about to have something come out about him, over $$$

Good find. Follow up comment by the thread starter (presumably, account also deleted) didn't explicitly implicate him but people did research based on the comment and it seemed like it was in reference to him (Gurley).

Lonestar

As long as the videotape isn't released on TMZ, he'll be fine.

No Tape is safe from TMZ.

Good find. Follow up comment by the thread starter (presumably, account also deleted) didn't explicitly implicate him but people did research based on the comment and it seemed like it was in reference to him (Gurley).

Op had deleted a comment, but someone mentioned what he said, and followed up on a ebay search:
OP commented below and suggested a search on eBay for stuff so I did (search was "[player name] signed autographed"). Here are the numbers for choice players:
Jameis Winston: 262 results
Todd Gurley: 258 results
Brett Hundley: 18 results
Marcus Mariota: 40 results
Melvin Gordon: 31 results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom