• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hustle has died at 83

E-Cat

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I didn't realize Charlie Hustle was a real person. I just thought it was a nickname given to Jimmy McGill by Howard Hamlin due to his work ethic. Are these two in any way related?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I saw this secondarily on ESPN but they're covering Dikembe (who I also love. Both are losses but Rose deserves his flowers.

Quasicat

He deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. MLB promotes sports betting now. Keeping him out makes them hypocrites.
Exactly! I have been holding that torch for years with my friends and coworkers. I had just wished he would have been able to see it happen before he passed.

gothmog

Gold Member
It’s still completely banned for players, and Rose lied about it for decades.

Dude didn’t do himself any favors with his unapologetic attitude forwards anything and everything.
That was actually part of his charm. I saw him a few times hanging out around Cooperstown on Hall of Fame weekend. Bigger than life. My buddy got him to autograph a black ball after making a stupid bet with him.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Weird dude off the field but someone I got to know very well having played for The Reds and someone I legit called a friend

RIP Hit King and fuck MLB for keeping him out of The Hall
It was probably some of that weirdness that made him a great player, and gave him a drive to win. And gamble on his team.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It was probably some of that weirdness that made him a great player, and gave him a drive to win. And gamble on his team.
Its such a bad rabbit hole to go down

If only he hadn't bet on The Reds while managing them things might have ended a little better for him

And I know he always said he only bet on them to win which can still have season long ramifications if you overwork your best bullpen guys to secure wins

I came into the Pete Rose RIP thread, which I already knew about, and learned that Dikembe Mutombo died.

On the Hall thing: He shouldn't be in the HoF because he bet on his own team while managing them, which would have absolutely affected the game. So no, he shouldn't be in.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I came into the Pete Rose RIP thread, which I already knew about, and learned that Dikembe Mutombo died.

On the Hall thing: He shouldn't be in the HoF because he bet on his own team while managing them, which would have absolutely affected the game. So no, he shouldn't be in.
I know I am biased because I knew Pete so well but his betting as a manager should not stop Pete the hitter from being in the HOF even if you needed to put an asterisks by his name what he did as a manager

Top Bottom