• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwarlock

Surprised fox news is calling these guys racist white nationalists and not playing the "both sides" game

I'm not. They're going to immediately distance themselves. "Most of the people there were not racists. Just conservatives practicing their right to march. The white nationalists, which were a small amount, were the ones causing this. Not us good-hearted Americans that happened to be marching alongside them."

When you asked whether or not we're getting rundown en masse by nazis.

We're not getting run down en masse by Nazis. One fucking idiot who is more of an idiot than his fellow fucking idiots doesn't warrant calling for the extermination of people.

Like seriously, how could one even develop a system to identify Nazis? This is beginning to sound strangely like an endeavor something a villainous regime in a third world country would take on. An endeavor that would also be very prone to abuse to authorize the imprisonment or killing of political dissidents, leakers, journalists, intellectuals, minorities, etc.

I wouldn't want to live in a country where the government is policing thought crimes. I wouldn't want to live in a country where guerillas are doxxing and murdering people. There are too many ways for that to go horribly wrong.

Are you letting a popular hash tag cloud your judgment?

Destruction of Nazism and all the fucks who adhere to that twisted ideology. What's hard to understand?

Lmao ok dude, now tell us how you would actually do that if you were an influential leader with lots of power.

I agree. You protest them at every turn. You make the public at large know that their views are unacceptable in American political discourse, that they're anathema to our core values as a nation. And when they overstep their bounds you punish them to the fullest extent of the law. What we do is not keep quiet and hold our politicians and law enforcement accountable. You don't compromise.

PoQGCED.gif

Nerazar

It's funny that I get labbled a nazi defender by questioning this flawless and reasonably easy to implement strategy.

I'm on your side. You cannot *exterminate* people like that. You can educate people not to become such monsters.

But in order to "implement" that strategy: Punishing such acts the same way as one would punish acts of terrorism would be a start. And *not* giving special treatment to white people who waive guns around and point at people and shoot them. And this is where policy makers must be pressured.

PopeReal

We're not getting run down en masse by Nazis. One fucking idiot who is more of an idiot than his fellow fucking idiots doesn't warrant calling for the extermination of people.

Like seriously, how could one even develop a system to identify Nazis? This is beginning to sound strangely like an endeavor something a villainous regime in a third world country would take on. An endeavor that would also be very prone to abuse to authorize the imprisonment or killing of political dissidents, leakers, journalists, intellectuals, minorities, etc.

I wouldn't want to live in a country where the government is policing thought crimes. I wouldn't want to live in a country where guerillas are doxxing and murdering people. There are too many ways for that to go horribly wrong.

LOL They identify themselves. And you don't have to "exterminate them" to stop it.

And sorry you don't want to live in a country that is against Nazi hate. Go away then.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Screw CNN for giving people like Ben Ferguson any platform on their channel to spew their bullshit.
This guy is a fucking idiot. Saying the person driving the car makes it violence on "both sides". What?

Armadilo

Banned
just sad and angry with emotions, You ever feel that you want to go join a protest because through that it seems like you're actually doing something. I want to do it, tired of feeling like I'm watching this unfold but not do anything. I don't want to stand silent, people have to speak up

I do hope some network goes around and does interviews with the living WWII vets and asks them their views on this bullshit. I bet they never imagined that they'd so a reincarnation of what they got rid of in Germany in their own country.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The extermination of nazi/white nationalist ideology IS absolutely warranted by the nature of it being nazi ideology.

Like in the Netherlands? Where it hasn't at all because of the well defined hate speech laws with a more progressive capital than the US?

Dude you literally argued not all nazis in this very post.

LOL They identify themselves. And you don't have to "exterminate them" to stop it.

And sorry you don't want to live in a country that is against Nazi hate. Go away then.

I'm sorry. It's not that simple. They all don't identify themselves. I would actually guess a minority of Nazi sympathizers identify themselves.

And say you even decide to imprison everyone who attends a KKK rally. How do you distinguish the protesters from the counter protesters? How do you handle all the cases where someone will lie and say: "Oh, but I was protesting against the KKK!" How do you get around the protection of free speech? How do you know officials won't abuse their newfound authorities and simply imprison people they don't like when given the power to imprison anyone who's a "Nazi"?

PopeReal

I'm sorry. It's not that simple. They all don't identify themselves. I would actually guess a minority of Nazi sympathizers identify themselves.

And say you even decide to imprison everyone who attends a KKK rally. How do you distinguish the protesters from the counter protesters? How do you handle all the cases where someone will lie and say: "Oh, but I was protesting against the KKK!" How do you get around the protection of free speech? How do you know officials won't abuse their newfound authorities and simply imprison people they don't like when given the power to imprison anyone who's a "Nazi"?

Hate speech meant to incite violence is illegal. Just need to enforce it. It is not hard, and it is a great starting point.

Oersted

Lmao ok dude, now tell us how you would actually do that if you were an influential leader with lots of power.

Am I also a nazi defender if I am against capital punishement?

There is a country which persecutes Nazis, has alot more freedom of speech and abolished capital punishment

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Germany&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

mjp2417

Banned
The fact that Ana Navarro's righteous fury is ultimately in service of kinda shitty GOP policy is one of the minor tragedies of modern political life

rjinaz

Can we please stop talking about killing all the nazis? You're just giving posters like cloudscale the opportunity to be on the defensive in this thread when there should be nothing to defend here.

Nerazar

If they're identifying as nazis, sure

The thing is: once you start such a list, this list must become bigger and bigger, logically. It's just so easy to add a person and a label. So it's very important not to start such a process, no matter how much anger there is.

I would put Nazis and Communists on that list, for example. And that would cover way too many people who don't deserve much sympathy, but we have to be stronger than that.

Heroman

Banned
I do hope some network goes around and does interviews with the living WWII vets and asks them their views on this bullshit. I bet they never imagined that they'd so a reincarnation of what they got rid of in Germany in their own country.
You will be very surprised by the answers.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Well, that "white sharia" shit needs to be in every news station, all the time. If a group of Muslims were caught in America shouting about Sharia, I don't know how long it would take to hear the end of it.

The fact that Ana Navarro's righteous fury is ultimately in service of kinda shitty GOP policy

is one of the minor tragedies of modern political life

I still don't get how she's a Republican. I understand that there are a lot of various left and right issues, but she can't be as blind as to not see that this is the party she's affiliated with. It's a party that's been building to this moment for quite some time and the had of the party right now just gave all these people the thumbs up with his speech.

If they're identifying as nazis, sure

That is honestly fucking terrifying. A dude earlier in this thread called me a Nazi sympathizer. Wonder if I'd get mass murdered.

The extermination of nazi/white nationalist ideology IS absolutely warranted by the nature of it being nazi ideology.
I'm cool with the extermination of the ideology. Might be hard to implement.

Like in the Netherlands? Where it hasn't at all despite them having well defined hate speech laws with a more progressive capital than the US?
Okay, we're onto something here. We need better defined hate speech laws. Nobody can disagree with that. I don't know anything about these laws, but this sounds like a good start.

Dude you literally argued not all nazis in this very post.

Dog, can you post something without using "not all Nazis"? Some people are more dangerous than others = not all Nazis = #notallnazis = bad? Does the hashtag invalidate my argument to you or something?

PopeReal

Can we please stop talking about killing all the nazis? You're just giving posters like cloudscale the opportunity to be on the defensive in this thread when there should be nothing to defend here.

Plus there are ways in place to actually stamp them out. They just need to be enforced. And white people need to care.

Oberon

Banned
I'm on your side. You cannot *exterminate* people like that. You can educate people not to become such monsters.

But in order to "implement" that strategy: Punishing such acts the same way as one would punish acts of terrorism would be a start. And *not* giving special treatment to white people who waive guns around and point at people and shoot them. And this is where policy makers must be pressured.

No, you have to destroy nazis. I won't tell you how, but you have to

You're a nazi defender if you defend nazis

Show me in my post at what point I defender nazis.

I am against capital punishment.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Let's say a a nazi was on death row. And I point out my stance against capital punsihement in general, does that make me a nazi defender? Or just someone that is against capital punishement in general?
Now let's swap "capital punishement" with "vigilianties that use violence"

There is a country which persecutes Nazis, has alot more freedom of speech and abolished capital punishment

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Germany&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

I am NOT saying they shouldn't be persecuted. I am saying it shouldn't be done through vigilante means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom