• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Anyone here gonna watch the Pride Parade?

Lkr

I'm going downtown for the first time in 10 years tomorrow. I'm looking for some things to do that I might have missed. I'm planning to eat lunch at the walnut room, John Hancock observatory, and the malls on Michigan ave. hoping to take the L or the subway, never rode either and it sounds fun to me. I want to walk around the underground areas too. Is there anything that is can't miss?

Btw I've done the sears tower observatory before(10 years ago) and I heard Hancock is more enjoyable. Am I making the right decision there?

Xenon

Btw I've done the sears tower observatory before(10 years ago) and I heard Hancock is more enjoyable. Am I making the right decision there?

The Willis Tower =( now has glass box viewing platforms. It may be worth a second look.

XKo4e.jpg

Xenon

Isn't that an extra fee? Hancock is open air from what I understand so that's why I was planning on that

Im not sure about the fee I haven't gone yet. I do plan to do a handstand when I do though.

I wasn't too thrilled with the Hancock. It was open air but it's surrounded by wire mesh, which kinda killed the whole "open" part of it. Its been a long time since I've been there so maybe it has changed.

Sai-kun

Banned
Aw, no Pride for me this year :( Gotta study for calculus. Boo.

I feel bad cuz I was gonna hang out with a friend who I hadn't seen in forever and now I've gotta cancel on him. :x oop

Lkr

Im not sure about the fee I haven't gone yet. I do plan to do a handstand when I do though.

I wasn't too thrilled with the Hancock. It was open air but it's surrounded by wire mesh, which kinda killed the whole "open" part of it. Its been a long time since I've been there so maybe it has changed.
Hmm. Idk I'll probably just go to Hancock. It's about the same height from what I understand so I'm not going to make a big fuss about which one, I just think Hancock is closer/more convenient

Anybody have any bright ideas of getting Lolla tickets at this point? I dropped the ball and they're completely sold out, and I don't want to have to go through the dregs of craigslist.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Pride was even more insane this year. I'm posting from my own puddle of puke in the bushes

I only saw one person who needed an ambulance. So good year?

ChiTownBuffalo

Well, I guess a cop got stabbed near Berlin last night.

ChiTownBuffalo

I only saw one person who needed an ambulance. So good year?

when I was walking around, I didn't see many ambulances. When I had to drive through it, it was like an ambulance every 10 minutes. also, I wish I had looked up the traffic pattern for the day, so I didn't get stuck on every cross street trying to cross broadway. Took me 2 hours to get back from around fullerton + western. about 10 minutes to actually to get to the area, then the rest sitting in traffic trying to get over. Like 2 wrong decisions on where to cross over extended it that long...then I found out I could get back over on Irving Park.

So heading to Chicago in mid-july, staying at the Sheraton by the Navy Pier. Saw the price for parking there and its freaking insane, anyone have any tips on cheaper places to park? Ill be visiting Sun-Tuesday if that info is needed.

JCX

So heading to Chicago in mid-july, staying at the Sheraton by the Navy Pier. Saw the price for parking there and its freaking insane, anyone have any tips on cheaper places to park? Ill be visiting Sun-Tuesday if that info is needed.

There are side streets in Logan Square and Bucktown that don't require permits to park, but there will usually be street cleaning on one of the days you are there.

ChiTownBuffalo

Yeah, you might be effed for parking. Unless you park far and then take the train to your hotel or something.

Fuck CHicago parking.

ChiTownBuffalo

I dont mine paying some, but parking here was like $50 a night. I expected maybe $20ish or so, $50 is insane.

My advice to you is to park in a residential neighborhood, a nice one, and then take a cab to the hotel.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ill probably go to Lolla this year, I havent gone since high school.

Sometimes when my friends come to visit they park at a South Shore (commuter rail) station outside the city and take the train in and out...that way they don't have to drive in the city and parking is free. Between the South Shore and Metra you'll pass near one station or another no matter what direction you're coming into the city from. Not sure off hand how Metra handles parking though.

Sometimes when my friends come to visit they park at a South Shore (commuter rail) station outside the city and take the train in and out...that way they don't have to drive in the city and parking is free. Between the South Shore and Metra you'll pass near one station or another no matter what direction you're coming into the city from. Not sure off hand how Metra handles parking though.

Hmmm this seems like a good idea since we were going to get a L pass anyway. Ill look into this. Thanks.

TheCrow

So, did the second meet up ever happen? I was in LA for a week and haven't been following the thread. Maybe we could check out that new Emporium bar.

ChiTownBuffalo

Nah it didn't.

CHicago-GAF meetup 2.1 at Emporium Bar on the weekend of the July 17th?

JCX

Emporium sounds good. Let's just make a thread on OT like the other cities. It should be fine as long as it's specific to the meet-up.

TheCrow

Should've checked where it was first but luckily it's only a half hour away from me. I'll be there and I'll just use one of my few cheat days from my diet.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Nah it didn't.

CHicago-GAF meetup 2.1 at Emporium Bar on the weekend of the July 17th?

I live super close by so I probably will be able to make it. The bar is cool, but super packed on weekends so far. It was even really crowded last night in the blistering heat. They open at noon on weekends, so we could pull off a mid-afternoon meetup. Beer selection is fantastic.

ChiTownBuffalo

Emporium sounds good. Let's just make a thread on OT like the other cities. It should be fine as long as it's specific to the meet-up.

Shhh...you trying to get us sent to Community?

Any suggestion on the Fourth of Jully tour? Leaving tonight and staying at the Marriott by the Navy Pier. Have family there , but want to get away and do a Chicago Discovery on our own.

Talon

Made the mistake of taking the 9 bus up at 11:00 PM last night after my flight.

Short hispanic tough guy started getting racial with a black guy - escalating to a life threat. Fantastic.
Any suggestion on the Fourth of Jully tour? Leaving tonight and staying at the Marriott by the Navy Pier. Have family there , but want to get away and do a Chicago Discovery on our own.
Don't waste too much time at Navy Pier. There are a ton of great walking tours that you can find online (as in, just paths you follow) if you want to explore the architecture of the city and famous landmarks.

All the great food destinations are outside of the loop (i.e. downtown). Since you have family here, they can probably direct you to the right places.

Getting around Chicago on the 4th is a nightmare.

It's going to be 100 degrees.

Navy Pier is a tourist trap with nothing more than a food court and ferris wheel.

Does that sound like a good time to you?

Made the mistake of taking the 9 bus up at 11:00 PM last night after my flight.

Short hispanic tough guy started getting racial with a black guy - escalating to a life threat. Fantastic.
Don't waste too much time at Navy Pier. There are a ton of great walking tours that you can find online (as in, just paths you follow) if you want to explore the architecture of the city and famous landmarks.

All the great food destinations are outside of the loop (i.e. downtown). Since you have family here, they can probably direct you to the right places.

Your right , just thought there would be some nice spots since my hotel is nearby.Thanks for the advice Talon.

Top Bottom