• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

I didn't know that. I figured they were closing up shop.

I've mentioned this before, but I live about 150 feet from them, and I'm in the pic in teh GQ article.

This man speaks the truth. Been going to Peaquods since it was a dive you could draw on the walls. Crust is soooo good.
The crust is really something special. They have the best lunch special too. A personal pan pizza with one topping and a beer for $5.

And since it's a personal pan, it has a high crust to pizza ratio!

The Art Museum is open to Illinois residents for free on weekdays for the first few weeks of this month. I'm heading there after class. Ya'll should check it out when you get the chance. T'is free entry, after all.

Talkin bout the institute

Talon

I didn't know that. I figured they were closing up shop.

I've mentioned this before, but I live about 150 feet from them, and I'm in the pic in teh GQ article.
Ha, that's awesome. Hey, since you're right there, we've probably been in Vincent at the same time.

How's that restaurant since the head chef left? I used to love that place.

Madtown_

I'm new to the Chicago, moved into town for a job out of college. What do you guys recommend for meeting people besides hitting up the bars 3-4 nights a week?
My roommates go out plenty, but I've just kinda gotten sick of it the last few months. I'm in Wrigleyville for now, at least until summer.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Come join my jiu jitsu school?

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm new to the Chicago, moved into town for a job out of college. What do you guys recommend for meeting people besides hitting up the bars 3-4 nights a week?
My roommates go out plenty, but I've just kinda gotten sick of it the last few months. I'm in Wrigleyville for now, at least until summer.

wrigleyville owns cuz that's where dany m and i live

Fellow Chicagoans!

Anyone have a recommendation for a Chicago-land Chevy dealer? I'm planning on buying a car soon, but I don't know of any good Chevy dealers.

Ha, that's awesome. Hey, since you're right there, we've probably been in Vincent at the same time.

How's that restaurant since the head chef left? I used to love that place.

I've never been to Vincent, not a big seafood fan. I used to go to the Bistro that was there before, and the Dellwood Pickle before that.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Only people from out of town and suburban frat boys would live in Wrigleyville...

It's weird that it used to be Chicago's J-town in Wrigleyville.

ChiTownBuffalo

I've never been inside the Friendly Confines. I feel I should. Maybe during an offseason tour. So in September.

Talon

It's nothing special unless you're into watching depressed cub's fans drink their sorrows away game after game. :)
Disagree entirely. It's a gem for baseball fans. I love how intimate the space is compared to most other parks in the league, and there aren't any kid-friendly distractions or amenities - it's wholly a ballpark. The only bad seats in that park are the ones behind the columns.

sixghost

Disagree entirely. It's a gem for baseball fans. I love how intimate the space is compared to most other parks in the league, and there aren't any kid-friendly distractions or amenities - it's wholly a ballpark. The only bad seats in that park are the ones behind the columns.

Even growing up a Sox fan I liked going to Cubs games more. Comiskey Park kind of sucks.

Well, my wife and I just moved here last month after I got offered a job downtown. Currently living in the suburbs and pretty much down for any meetups or what not. We're going to the Chinese New Year parade this Saturday at 1PM. Probably going to check out Emporium at some point too. I'm originally from here so I'm glad to be back in my hometown. Hope to get to meet some local GAFers. Have a good week everyone!

A buddy of mine took this awesome picture of the Trump Tower.

dsc_0106.jpg

This man speaks the truth. Been going to Peaquods since it was a dive you could draw on the walls. Crust is soooo good.

After all the hype surrounding Peaquods, when I finally had it, I was let down. Yes it was good, but I still prefer to get a half baked butter crust from LM, and finish it off in the oven at home. It's still the best in the city or burbs for me.

dark_chris

A buddy of mine took this awesome picture of the Trump Tower.

dsc_0106.jpg

New lockscreen wallpaper! =) Very nice!

My brother and I had the mood for pequods pizza. They wouldn't deliver out to where i live (Andersonville) but we told them we'll give the guy extra tip, we just want some damn pequods pizza!
Eating that pizza is a guilty pleasure.. I had 3 slices. I felt so fat. =( lol.

Talon

New lockscreen wallpaper! =) Very nice!

My brother and I had the mood for pequods pizza. They wouldn't deliver out to where i live (Andersonville) but we told them we'll give the guy extra tip, we just want some damn pequods pizza!
Eating that pizza is a guilty pleasure.. I had 3 slices. I felt so fat. =( lol.
Mmm...mmm...good stuff.

ChiTownBuffalo

Kuma's Too opens today.

ChiTownBuffalo

Sai-kun

Banned
Don't know if any of you are fans of This American Life, but this week and next week they're doing the complete show on Harper High School.

Here's a link to week 1, with some story descriptions and stuff: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/487/harper-high-school-part-one

This American Life said:
We spent five months at Harper High School in Chicago, where last year alone 29 current and recent students were shot. 29. We went to get a sense of what it means to live in the midst of all this gun violence, how teens and adults navigate a world of funerals and Homecoming dances. We found so many incredible and surprising stories, this show is a two-parter; Part One airs this week, Part Two is next week.

Sad stuff, but good, too.

Talon

Went to Chinatown yesterday for the parade...and dim sum. Ming Hin is good stuff, man. All we ordered were dumplings, and we were stuffed.

Shrimp Dumplings: wildly underrated.

Madtown_

Any of you tennis players here in Chicago?
I was looking at joining a ladder or a league or something, came upon this: http://www.chitowntennis.com/

Has anyone used it? Looks good, but couldn't find a single thing on twitter, no forums with people talking about it, etc. Just want to make sure I wouldn't be throwing my money away for nothing.

Vio-Lence

Banned
important question?

Preferred Chicago female meteorologist, CBS morning amazon queen Megan Glaros vs NBC evening gal Cheryl Scott?

GO!

reKon

Banned
Chicago-bros, this thread needs a bump. I'm out in Michigan now, but I'm back pretty often.

And I want to share a treat with all of you. My favorite burger joint in the city. I like it better than DMK (I prefer big patties) and Kuma's (Granted, I'm more a traditionalist, and I care more about the beef than accouterments). It's owned by the ex-head chef at Duchamp out in Bucktown (closed now). This place opened about a year ago, if I remember. Right off the Armitage brown line stop.

l.jpg
- not my picture

Grass-fed beef medium rare in simple (just salt and pepper), pretzel bun, cheddar cheese, onion, pickle, tomato, and lettuce. Perfect. The meat's super juicy, so I find the pretzel bun is best for keeping everything contained.

Or whatever the hell you want. In terms of meat, they do game sometimes and always have pork, turkey, rice, salmon and bison. Better yet, it's BYOB last I checked. It's not really sit down, but it's not The Counter either. You make you order and they bring your food out, but it's not full service either.

Their fries are among the best in the city, too. Perfectly crisp on the outside and pillowy on the inside.

Been here twice. The second time I took my friend who was in town. We both really enjoyed it and he described the burger as the perfect size too. I don't know if it's best burger I've had been it's definitely top 3 ever for me. A little bit pricey with the fries, but still amazing.

Smeghead

Anyone give recommendations on what part of Chicago stay in? I'm going in early september and thinking of using airbnb since it's cheaper, but i've heard it's illegal if your staying for less than 30 days or is this bullshit?

Is mag mile or the loop a decent place to stay? Any insight would be great thanks.

Talon

Anyone give recommendations on what part of Chicago stay in? I'm going in early september and thinking of using airbnb since it's cheaper, but i've heard it's illegal if your staying for less than 30 days or is this bullshit?

Is mag mile or the loop a decent place to stay? Any insight would be great thanks.
Hotel Lincoln is a newly opened hotel from the Joie de Vivre folks out of California. It's right next to Lincoln Park, so it'll be easy to get around. Rooms are smallish, but the prices are very competitive. Outside of that, you're going to have to stay down in the loop.

There's a Holiday Inn off Diversey but other than those two, I can't pinpoint any north side hotels.

Who's excited for the Cubs this year? Despite Garza starting out on the DL, I can't wait to see how the season goes. Hopefully Soler and Vogelbach tear it up in the minors this year and get a September call up.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm moving out to the burbs to stay closer to work. :(

Bums me out.

I'm thinking of taking the Metra into the city on St Paddy's Day, but now I'm thinking that's gonna be a shit-show and I should just stay downtown the night before with a friend so I don't have to commute.

Rent rates here in Logan are just sky high right now. It's crazy. 2 years ago it was nothing to find a nice 3BR here, but looking now? At least $2k/month from everything I'm seeing. Just crazy.

Top Bottom