• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Went to Belly Q tonight.

- Kimchi and Eggplant were very good.
- Thai fried chicken was a little too battery for my taste, but the spice was good.
- Seafood pancake was like Haemul pajeon with the seafood on top in a ceviche style. This was my second favorite.
- Rice puff and spinach salad was okay; I'm not huge on vinaigrette in general and this was loaded with it.
- Double smoked bacon and kimchi Tofu Hotpot: Basically a variation of Soondubu jigae, but with duk and awesome bacon which made it pretty tasty and my favorite of the night.
- Grilled Short rib: no frills Galbi which was pretty traditional. Just more expensive with way less portions.
- Tea smoked duck breast with steamed chinese buns. Mildly disappointing; the buns were pillowy and delicious but the duck didn't have much flavor to it.

We also got 2 of their deserts; the passion fruit ice and the citrus ice, both of which were very good.

Out of all of his places, I liked this one the best. I'll be going back at some point.

Hey Chicago GAF, my band We Make Thunder is playing our last show ever tonight at the Gallery Cabaret (2020 N Oakley). You should come.

/shameless self promotion

Stet

Banned
Coming to Chicago next week. I've got reservations at Topolobampo and Alinea. Where else should I visit?

Talon

Coming to Chicago next week. I've got reservations at Topolobampo and Alinea. Where else should I visit?
Avec. Tango Sur. The Hopleaf (get your beer on). The Publican. If it's just 2 of you, it's easy to get walk-in seats at the bar.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Sweet deal. Any small jazz/blues bars that aren't hugely busy?

The problem is, any decent blues bar in Chicago, will be busy.

Blue Chicago - Kinda busy
Green Mill - Busy
Kingston Mines - Busy
Buddy Guy's Legends - Busy
Rosa's Lounge - Kinda busy
Lee's Unleaded - Steady and gets busier. They have a dress code here. Or, something like that. They keep it old school, so people dress old school.

trs1080

Neo Member
Anyone going to Riot Fest over the weekend? I'm going both days, should be good. Can't wait to see Iggy Pop again. Saw his show at the Riviera couple years ago and he's amazing. Dude is a freak of nature.

Hoping to sneak in my Sony NEX-7 camera. It doesn't look professional!

I feel silly for not posting in here before hand but did anyone go to the Beerfest in the Great Hall at Union Station?!

Also, while roaming near Depaul my girlfriend, myself, and some friends ended up jumping on a random trolley full of a bachelorette party and ended up near Loyola. It was a lot of fun.

reKon

Banned
I'm nearing that time where I need to start coming down to Chicago to look at apartments. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to proceed this and what to avoid?

I'm starting working January and need to move in December. I was told to wait a little before looking because everything will start opening up for the winter.

I'm likely to be moving to Lincoln Park/Lakeview area or anywhere around there. I'm going to be working in the loop.

Also, I've been using hotpads.com to get an idea of what's available. Should I just use this and craigslist or should I just use a realtor to help me out since I'm in Michigan?

Talon

I'm nearing that time where I need to start coming down to Chicago to look at apartments. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to proceed this and what to avoid?

I'm starting working January and need to move in December. I was told to wait a little before looking because everything will start opening up for the winter.

I'm likely to be moving to Lincoln Park/Lakeview area or anywhere around there. I'm going to be working in the loop.

Also, I've been using hotpads.com to get an idea of what's available. Should I just use this and craigslist or should I just use a realtor to help me out since I'm in Michigan?
So leasing agents are free to use in Chicago. The landlord pays for them. It doesn't hurt to have them show you places if you don't want to call everyone yourself. It's pretty easy to find a place in Chicago, IMO.

trs1080

Neo Member
So the lake is going to be kicking up waves up to 23 feet tonight and I live in a building in Rogers park that is right next to the lake. This will be an interesting night...

Good thing I'm on the third floor!

So I got out of work late tonight and okay, ya know, I voted absentee in Ohio for Obama and all, but coming from Hyde Park to the South Loop, it took me an hour and a half to get home because of McCormick/Obama shenanigans (he was leaving Hyde Park around the same time I left work.) Super annoyed.

That being said, maybe I should ease my stress by going down to McCormick and hitting on some hot Obama supporters.

dark_chris

I have a friend who is interested in moving to Chicago from the other side of the planet. Can anyone recommend me a good informational video of Chicago?

Alright, after checking out Emporium a few weekends ago, and Headquarters Beercade this afternoon, I love that we get two arcade themed bars. I went with my girlfriend to both bars and we both had a really great time at them both. They both have an excellent selection of cabinets, but I think Emporium's might be better. Every one of their cabinets costs one quarter per game, and when we went it wasn't too crowded so we could play any game they had there.

HQ Beercade was a crowded and busy place which provided a great atmosphere. Their cabinets are all free to play, but it seemed to me that their craft beer selection was more expensive (probably to pay for all those free arcade credits). HQ Beercade was also smaller, and significantly more cramped while playing, but it was a very cool bar with a great atmosphere. I'd really like to check out Emporium when it is slightly busier to see what it is like when there are a ton of people there.

We will definitely be heading to them both again, and next time I will definitely toss a shout-out up into this thread before we do.

EDIT: Sorry, some more info for the two:

Emporium Arcade Bar Chicago :: website :: map

Headquarters Beercade :: website :: map

woodchuck

Visited chicago from wednesday - sunday. First time in Chicago. I love this city so much. And I guess I got really lucky with the weather.

I'm 100% moving here next year.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Welcome! Let us know when you arrive!

I had success with Apartment Finders back before we had our condo. Just be very specific on what your geographic limits are. A lot of unscrupulous landlords will list apartments in the wrong neighborhood; for example, when looking in Hyde Park, some places were actually far on the North side of Kenwood or way South of 60th st.

reKon

Banned
Has anyone been to any bars on New Years Eve that didn't have any ticket requirements?

I'm about to move there in the next few days and I'm trying to plan for my friends who are visiting for New Years. I know that most of the places are with sold out or a bit expensive for tickets.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Has anyone been to any bars on New Years Eve that didn't have any ticket requirements?

I'm about to move there in the next few days and I'm trying to plan for my friends who are visiting for New Years. I know that most of the places are with sold out or a bit expensive for tickets.
We had some luck last year bar hopping in Wicker. Thing is though it's hard to predict. Some of those ticket requirements aren't so bad though.

I wish I could give you a suggestion but this will be the second year running where we bought tickets for a NYE bash. Sorry bud. I'm sure there will be places somewhere with no ticket required.

Yeah, can't really give any suggestions aside from maybe bar-hopping in some bar-specific areas. Most places I know of near me in the city have tickets and are super expensive. I'm staying in this year.

Talon

Chicago-bros, this thread needs a bump. I'm out in Michigan now, but I'm back pretty often.

And I want to share a treat with all of you. My favorite burger joint in the city. I like it better than DMK (I prefer big patties) and Kuma's (Granted, I'm more a traditionalist, and I care more about the beef than accouterments). It's owned by the ex-head chef at Duchamp out in Bucktown (closed now). This place opened about a year ago, if I remember. Right off the Armitage brown line stop.

l.jpg
- not my picture

Grass-fed beef medium rare in simple (just salt and pepper), pretzel bun, cheddar cheese, onion, pickle, tomato, and lettuce. Perfect. The meat's super juicy, so I find the pretzel bun is best for keeping everything contained.

Or whatever the hell you want. In terms of meat, they do game sometimes and always have pork, turkey, rice, salmon and bison. Better yet, it's BYOB last I checked. It's not really sit down, but it's not The Counter either. You make you order and they bring your food out, but it's not full service either.

Their fries are among the best in the city, too. Perfectly crisp on the outside and pillowy on the inside.

reKon

Banned
Chicago-bros, this thread needs a bump. I'm out in Michigan now, but I'm back pretty often.

And I want to share a treat with all of you. My favorite burger joint in the city. I like it better than DMK (I prefer big patties) and Kuma's (Granted, I'm more a traditionalist, and I care more about the beef than accouterments). It's owned by the ex-head chef at Duchamp out in Bucktown (closed now). This place opened about a year ago, if I remember. Right off the Armitage brown line stop.

l.jpg
- not my picture

Grass-fed beef medium rare in simple (just salt and pepper), pretzel bun, cheddar cheese, onion, pickle, tomato, and lettuce. Perfect. The meat's super juicy, so I find the pretzel bun is best for keeping everything contained.

Or whatever the hell you want. In terms of meat, they do game sometimes and always have pork, turkey, rice, salmon and bison. Better yet, it's BYOB last I checked. It's not really sit down, but it's not The Counter either. You make you order and they bring your food out, but it's not full service either.

Their fries are among the best in the city, too. Perfectly crisp on the outside and pillowy on the inside.

I'll stop by sometime because I have to take the brown line to get anywhere. So you don't have the name of the place but it's right there off the armitage stop? I just want to go to the right place since there are so many spots in Chicago

Talon

I'll stop by sometime because I have to take the brown line to get anywhere. So you don't have the name of the place but it's right there off the armitage stop? I just want to go to the right place since there are so many spots in Chicago
Ha, I'm an asshole. Forgot to post the name of it, somehow.

It's the Butcher & the Burger.

ChiTownBuffalo

Kuma's Too is opening a block from me.

Pre

Spent four days in Chicago back in October for a college journalism conference and basically spent the whole time drunk off my ass. As a Cubs/Bears fan, it was awesome to finally visit the city (though I lost a bunch of pictures off my phone that included my ones of Wrigley).

I don't really remember the names of the bars I went to, but they were all enjoyable enough. I spent a bit of time at the one by the river down from the Sheraton since it was close.

I hadn't tried deep dish before, and I liked the pizza at Uno, but Chicago style wasn't as impressive as I had been led to believe. But I'm not a huge pizza fan, anyway.

wowzors

Spent four days in Chicago back in October for a college journalism conference and basically spent the whole time drunk off my ass. As a Cubs/Bears fan, it was awesome to finally visit the city (though I lost a bunch of pictures off my phone that included my ones of Wrigley).

I don't really remember the names of the bars I went to, but they were all enjoyable enough. I spent a bit of time at the one by the river down from the Sheraton since it was close.

I hadn't tried deep dish before, and I liked the pizza at Uno, but Chicago style wasn't as impressive as I had been led to believe. But I'm not a huge pizza fan, anyway.

Gonna get hate for this, but, Giordano's is better. Gino's East is decent in the city, in the suburbs its terrible.

ChiTownBuffalo

Great Lakes was superb

Dany

Banned
Damn straight. I had some delivered last night even though we're in Wrigleyville. Best damn pizza in the city.

Top Bottom