• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Ourobolus

Banned
So I'm going to be in Chicago from September 23-27 (flying out the 28th) for the (ISC)2 Congress at McCormick Place. Any good places to eat or see while I'm there? I'll be busy all day, so my only free time will mostly be after 4:30.

So I'm going to be in Chicago from September 23-27 (flying out the 28th) for the (ISC)2 Congress at McCormick Place. Any good places to eat or see while I'm there? I'll be busy all day, so my only free time will mostly be after 4:30.

Berghoff's if you get the right item, which I never have. Pretty historic place with decent food. Everything's just a CTA or cab ride away, so you shouldn't have trouble getting there from McCormick.

Nero3000

Chicago-gaf, does anyone have a recommendation for a flower delivery service that takes online orders?

The destination would be the Aon Centre if that helps.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

Pequod's pizza.

Note to self: dayglo teenagers in raybans will be infesting city this weekend, avoid downtown at all costs.

I have no problem hating on the Lake Forest teenagers who go to the Perry's stage at Lolla and stay there all day, but there could be worse crowds to deal with. Like Cubs fans.

joelseph

Wizard World sucked ass this year for some reason. Same old booths. Less shit to do. Just C2E2 from now on and even that is wearing thin.

Smeghead

This has probably been asked a lot but can anyone recommend any bars/clubs or restaurants in Chicago?

I'm staying in streeterville so I don't want to stray too far away, but will if there are any decent spots to hit up.

Is it worth going through yelp or some shit and taking note of decent places?

I am not a bar/club kinda guy, but Streeterville is right near both the yuppie bar district (Rush st) and the touristy restarount area (which also has bars). Depending on tastes, there's a ton near you.

Viewt

This has probably been asked a lot but can anyone recommend any bars/clubs or restaurants in Chicago?

I'm staying in streeterville so I don't want to stray too far away, but will if there are any decent spots to hit up.

Is it worth going through yelp or some shit and taking note of decent places?

Well, you're not too far from the Red Line, which runs North/South. You could take that into Andersonville, which has a ton of great bars (including my favorite, that I actually learned about from this very thread, Hopleaf).

Also north of Streerville (but not as north as Andersonville) is Boystown, which has some great restaurants (and bars, too, if you're into gay bars). I always tell people to go to Crisp, which has truly spectacular KBBQ wings. They're pretty inexpensive, too. $8.50 gets you a basket with five huge wings (they don't separate the drumette from the wing, so it's basically a 10-piece anywhere else).

I live in Logan Square, so that's mostly where I hang out, and there are tons of great places here. That'd be a little bit of a trek for you, though (like ~45 minutes on public transit). If you end up out here, I'd recommend Scofflaw (gin bar), The Whistler (cocktail bar/gallery), Boiler Room (home of the PB&J special - a slice of pizza, a tallboy of PBR and a shot of Jameson for $7) or Alice's Lounge (they've got a few titles as Best Karaoke in Chicago - total dive with cheap drinks, a DJ who tells dad jokes and a door buzzer to get in).

There are some places worth visiting in Wicker Park, too, like Emporium (a barcade with great beer, tons of arcade cabinets and Avatar Pinball, which is surprisingly fantastic) or Big Star (a bar and restaurant from the Paul Kahan family/network).

Anyway, the thing to remember about Chicago is that it's a city of neighborhoods, so every couple miles you can find something different. You're in a good area for sightseeing, but I'm not a huge fan of the nightlife there. Others may have better recommendations for things closer to where you're staying.

Smeghead

Well, you're not too far from the Red Line, which runs North/South. You could take that into Andersonville, which has a ton of great bars (including my favorite, that I actually learned about from this very thread, Hopleaf).

Also north of Streerville (but not as north as Andersonville) is Boystown, which has some great restaurants (and bars, too, if you're into gay bars). I always tell people to go to Crisp, which has truly spectacular KBBQ wings. They're pretty inexpensive, too. $8.50 gets you a basket with five huge wings (they don't separate the drumette from the wing, so it's basically a 10-piece anywhere else).

I live in Logan Square, so that's mostly where I hang out, and there are tons of great places here. That'd be a little bit of a trek for you, though (like ~45 minutes on public transit). If you end up out here, I'd recommend Scofflaw (gin bar), The Whistler (cocktail bar/gallery), Boiler Room (home of the PB&J special - a slice of pizza, a tallboy of PBR and a shot of Jameson for $7) or Alice's Lounge (they've got a few titles as Best Karaoke in Chicago - total dive with cheap drinks, a DJ who tells dad jokes and a door buzzer to get in).

There are some places worth visiting in Wicker Park, too, like Emporium (a barcade with great beer, tons of arcade cabinets and Avatar Pinball, which is surprisingly fantastic) or Big Star (a bar and restaurant from the Paul Kahan family/network).

Anyway, the thing to remember about Chicago is that it's a city of neighborhoods, so every couple miles you can find something different. You're in a good area for sightseeing, but I'm not a huge fan of the nightlife there. Others may have better recommendations for things closer to where you're staying.
Thanks for the reply, i'll definitely have to look into some of those places.

How good is the the train system in Chicago? Does it operate quite late at night?

Having a hard time trying to find a decent rail map that i can relate back to google maps.

Talon

Thanks for the reply, i'll definitely have to look into some of those places.

How good is the the train system in Chicago? Does it operate quite late at night?

Having a hard time trying to find a decent rail map that i can relate back to google maps.
One of the best train systems in the country. You can get anywhere you need to by train or bus.

Viewt

Just to clarify, the Blue and Red Lines run 24/7. But there's also:

Brown Line: 4 AM - 1 AM, runs north/northwest from the Loop and hits areas like River North, Lincoln Park and Albany Park.

Green Line: 4 AM - 12:45 AM, runs straight west from the Loop and straight south. There are some stops in West Town, but odds are you won't be using the Green Line.

Orange Line: 4 AM - 1 AM, runs from the Loop southwest to Midway airport with stops along the way on the South Side. Unless you're going to Midway, odds are you won't use this train either.

Pink Line: 4 AM - 1 AM, runs straight west, then straight south, then straight west again from the Loop. Once again, you likely won't be using it.

Purple Line: 5 AM - 2 AM, runs straight north from the Loop to Northwestern in Evanston. It runs parallel with the Red Line and Brown Line for a while, so you'll probably only take it as a substitute for a few stops that are also covered by Red and Brown.

Yellow Line: 5 AM - 11 PM, runs from where the Red Line stops (Howard) to Skokie. There are only three stops on this line, and unless you're going to Skokie (and really, why would you?), you're not going to use it.

There's also the Metra commuter trains, which have a bunch of their own lines and schedules, but like the BART in the Bay Area or Northeast Corridor, you'll pay the fare based on distance. Depending on how far you're going, it'll be between $3-7. But chances are you won't need them. They're really only useful if you're going to the suburbs.

Anywho, there's a little bit of info on the El.

EDIT: Oh, also, you can use Mapmash to see how the El map corresponds to Google Maps.

EDIT 2: And don't be afraid of using busses, either. Depending on how far away you are from a train stop, it might be faster / have less transfers to just take a bus or two. There are also a million CTA tracker apps to give you more accurate estimates of when the bus is going to get there.

Timurid

Sorry to bump again, but is it worth getting the cta pass? 7 days for $30?

Yup. If you don't get one you'll probably end up spending like 5 dollars or more a day. Plus it's easier to use and you don't have to remember how much you have on your card or fiddle around with cash etc etc.

Why has no one mentioned Headquarters Barcade for best bar in Chicago? Even if your not into video games, this place is showing old school wrestling and American Gladiators. Went last Friday, got to play King of Fighters 98 with some dude from Arizona. This is my favorite bar in Chicago.

One block north of the Diversy brown line, which you can hope over to from Fullerton Red Line.

Why has no one mentioned Headquarters Barcade for best bar in Chicago? Even if your not into video games, this place is showing old school wrestling and American Gladiators. Went last Friday, got to play King of Fighters 98 with some dude from Arizona. This is my favorite bar in Chicago.

One block north of the Diversy brown line, which you can hope over to from Fullerton Red Line.

I haven't been there yet, only been to Emporium, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Apparently they've expanded their space. Headquarters reminds me of this place I went to in Florida, so I'll have to check it out sometime in the near future.

Madtown_

I was going to write a response about headquarters being worse than Emporium, but I'm not sure now after reading some reviews. I'll have to check it out.

I was at Emporium for a few hours tonight and it's always a great time, but Headquarters looks pretty good if I'm ever in the neighborhood.

I've enjoyed both. I've only been to Headquarters once, and that was before they expanded. I really need to go again, but it is tough while I'm in the burbs and not the city for now.

Something is going on near the Sears Tower. Traffic is blocked off. A helicopter outfitted with weapons landed at Jackson and Franklin. Don't see anybody filming a movie. Will try to update if it's important.

Edit: okay it was a movie filming. Jupiter Ascending

Sai-kun

Banned
Something is going on near the Sears Tower. Traffic is blocked off. A helicopter outfitted with weapons landed at Jackson and Franklin. Don't see anybody filming a movie. Will try to update if it's important.

Edit: okay it was a movie filming. Jupiter Ascending

Users kitchenmotors, kisaya, and Mr. F, and myself were all in the 103rd floor on the Skydeck in the Sears Tower, and the helicopter was flying all around us! It was pretty fucking neato.

Viewt

As a first-year Chicago resident (five months and counting), can someone tell me when I should expect Fall to start kicking in? I thought, with our amazing July, we could coast on 60s/70s weather all the way through August, but now it's in the freaking 90s. :(

It's still not remotely as bad as Florida summers, so this is a huge improvement, but I'm fiending for jackets and not sweating when I walk outside for more than 15 minutes.

I know Fall officially starts in late September, but I'm impatient.

As a first-year Chicago resident (five months and counting), can someone tell me when I should expect Fall to start kicking in? I thought, with our amazing July, we could coast on 60s/70s weather all the way through August, but now it's in the freaking 90s. :(

It's still not remotely as bad as Florida summers, so this is a huge improvement, but I'm fiending for jackets and not sweating when I walk outside for more than 15 minutes.

I know Fall officially starts in late September, but I'm impatient.
We had a summer like this 3 years ago. August is always a gut punch because your used to the cool weather and then it will get hot. Late September it will calm down and then be cool but nice until mid-November. And then December, I expect a brutal winter this year, but it won't get really bad until late January.

LakeEarth

I'm heading up there first week of October. Since this is my first time, I'm going to be the annoying tourist, the hotel is pretty close to Millenium Park and the pier. Is there some non-obvious things in the area I should look out for, food and sights, etc. Thanks!

I'm heading up there first week of October. Since this is my first time, I'm going to be the annoying tourist, the hotel is pretty close to Millenium Park and the pier. Is there some non-obvious things in the area I should look out for, food and sights, etc. Thanks!

The architecture boat tour is always awesome.

LakeEarth

Thanks, yeah I think I'm going to get the Go card and do everything that isn't too far or too boring. I've been looking up hotdog and pizza places for an hour now.

Viewt

Thanks, yeah I think I'm going to get the Go card and do everything that isn't too far or too boring. I've been looking up hotdog and pizza places for an hour now.

For hot dogs (and a very cool experience), I'd recommend Hot Doug's. Just remember to get there like 45 minutes before they open, because there WILL be a line. Try the foie gras dog - it's rich as hell, but the flavor, damn.

For pizza, my favorite deep dish spot in Chicago is Pequod's in Lincoln Park. My favorite non-deep dish would probably be Dante's in Logan Square, but that'd be a bit of a trek from your hotel near Millennium Park, to be honest.

If you like dim sum, you should check out Ming Hin in Chinatown. They do great dim sum after 9PM.

For cool bars, I'm not a huge fan of the downtown area, but if you're willing to get on the CTA, Emporium, Hopleaf, The Map Room, Scofflaw and Alice's Lounge (best karaoke ever) are some of my favorites.

I was going to write a response about headquarters being worse than Emporium, but I'm not sure now after reading some reviews. I'll have to check it out.

I was at Emporium for a few hours tonight and it's always a great time, but Headquarters looks pretty good if I'm ever in the neighborhood.

I like Headquarters way more than Emporium. At least when I went to Emporium, you had to pay to play the arcade games. Headquarters has multiples of the more popular ones and is basically free to play, and after their expansion, is really sizable.

Ultimately for me: Emporium feels like a bar with some arcade games. Headquarters feels like an arcade that serves alcohol.

nitewulf

i'm going this weekend with the wife, staying at the renaissance downtown...any recommendations for a good cocktail joint, and live music?

RevDM

Banned
I'm in Chicago, what should I do?

I didn't realize MD gaf had a presence here. I'm actually doing an elective here.

Zyzyxxz

I'll be coming back for another trip from oct 12-15 excited as this time I'm staying in Lincoln Square with a friend as opposed to Waukeegan where he was living last year.

I wanna catch a show at second city and plan to eat at Johnniss Beef, hot Doug's, Xoco, yusho, maybe slurping turtle any other suggestions?

joelseph

A camping recommendation for Chicago gaf

Warren Dunes State Park Michigan

Less than an hour and a half drive on 90/94/80

During the off season schedule first come first serve reservation system and open alcohol is legal.

Has a great beach about 1 mile hike from the site which dogs are allowed on.

We were so impressed with the site we are already going back in two weeks and bringing a couple friends along.

Recommended if you are looking to escape the city.

A camping recommendation for Chicago gaf

Warren Dunes State Park Michigan

Less than an hour and a half drive on 90/94/80

During the off season schedule first come first serve reservation system and open alcohol is legal.

Has a great beach about 1 mile hike from the site which dogs are allowed on.

We were so impressed with the site we are already going back in two weeks and bringing a couple friends along.

Recommended if you are looking to escape the city.

Co-sign.

We camped nearby a month ago, stopped there for an afternoon. Will be going back sometime.

I grew up in Western MI and love the dunes all up and down the coast.

Guys, what are some good Mecixan places?

I'm not talking about the Americanized Mexican restaurants, I mean authentic back in Mexico style Mexican food. My friend is from Mexico and she misses that. I only know of Americanized places.

Dany

Banned
I live in lake view and there is aMexican restaurant every block really but I'm a fan of uncle Julio's on north. Maybe purely authentic but it's great

Talon

Guys, what are some good Mecixan places?

I'm not talking about the Americanized Mexican restaurants, I mean authentic back in Mexico style Mexican food. My friend is from Mexico and she misses that. I only know of Americanized places.
Nuevo León in Pilsen is the one everyone raves about. It's very cheap and pretty good.

There are good mexican places littered across the city. All the De Pasadas along Wicker. There's that three brothers taco joint in Lakeview east. There's a place with really great mole in Ravenswood called Los Nopales near the Davis Theater. Up in Roger's Park there's this fabulously cheap Tamale place run by this lady called Tamales Lo Mejor de Guerrero.

Chicago's as good as it gets for Mexican food in a major city outside of California (and Texas if you're a Tex-Mex lover).

Lincoln Park has pretty slim pickings, but you have good choices in pretty much every other North, Southern, and Western neighborhood.

If you go to Little Mexican Cafe ever, I will cut off your left foot.

Top Bottom