• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Madtown_

Hey Chicago.
Do you use the Blue Line (Medical District) to get to the United Center? (Google Maps only shows me bus routes).
I have 2 Bulls tickets and I'm currently looking for a place to stay, but the "problem" is I barely have time after I land, I'm almost immediately on my way to the game.
I also need to drop off my luggage along the way. So if the Blue Line is a viable option that would be pretty sweet.
Use Blue Line from O'Hare, drop off luggage at California and en route to Medical District.

Also should I delay my outgoing flight by 1 day to celebrate St. Patrick's day in Chicago?
The plan was to leave for San Fran early morning on Sunday but I can't really party then.
But as it turns out I don't have to be in San Fran necessarily by Monday but Tuesday. So...
The United Center is right on Damen. If you can drop your stuff off at California, it might just be faster to take the Blue line until Damen and take the bus from there. Otherwise you have to travel all the way through the loop and back around.

joelseph

Anyone here use T-Mobile?

I'm getting sick of Verizon, and I don't want to go back to ATT.

How is tmo in Chicago and nothern burbs?

Best thing I ever did was walking into the Verizon on State right next door to T-Mobile and tell them I was done with the expensive contract and I was moving to TMO. They knocked 40 off my monthly bill quicker than I could sign the paperwork.

Best thing I ever did was walking into the Verizon on State right next door to T-Mobile and tell them I was done with the expensive contract and I was moving to TMO. They knocked 40 off my monthly bill quicker than I could sign the paperwork.

HAHA really????

Gonna give this a shot!

Viewt

This is the worst winter we've had in a long time. I'm ready for it to be over.

As a first-year Chicago resident (it'll be one year exactly on March 19th), this winter has proved that I can survive in this city. If this is the worst it's gonna get, I can deal. Yeah, it was cold as shit, snowy as shit and last week when the temperature went up, it was grey and mushy as shit, but eh. I made it through relatively unscathed.

Now, if we get to summer and it's over 100 degrees for more than three days in a row, that might be a different story.

As a first-year Chicago resident (it'll be one year exactly on March 19th), this winter has proved that I can survive in this city. If this is the worst it's gonna get, I can deal. Yeah, it was cold as shit, snowy as shit and last week when the temperature went up, it was grey and mushy as shit, but eh. I made it through relatively unscathed.

Now, if we get to summer and it's over 100 degrees for more than three days in a row, that might be a different story.

little room air conditioners are a life saver. Especially if you sleep with animals and a girlfriend.

RIP

Viewt

:(

I was actually here a couple summers ago when that exact shit happened and I was pretty miserable. Not miserable enough to keep me away (I grew up in South Florida after all), but uggghhh. I'll take a polar vortex over 100º weather seven days a week.

This past summer was really mild, though! I was hoping that we'd get the same thing this year. :(

little room air conditioners are a life saver. Especially if you sleep with animals and a girlfriend.

I have central air, thank god. As for the girlfriend thing, she knows I need a little space when it's time to grab Zs. It's cuddle time until she falls asleep, then I slink my arm out and turn over for maximum sleepy time.

Dany

Banned
My boyfriends apt. Didn't have Ac in the summer. Its hard to even catch z's when moving an inch makes you sweat like a pig. Also he is a hardcor smuggler no matter the weather

kick51

Banned
these potholes, wow. there are chasms on diversey

is it just me or are they exponentially worse this year after this harsh winter

joelseph

these potholes, wow. there are chasms on diversey

is it just me or are they exponentially worse this year after this harsh winter

I live on the same block as the Bloomingdale Trail and Rahm decided to renovate this thing in the middle of winter. There is a pothole so gnarly I'm surprised people even risk driving through it. The total amount of work done on the trail, minor sandblasting on the bridges...

Viewt

I live on the same block as the Bloomingdale Trail and Rahm decided to renovate this thing in the middle of winter. There is a pothole so gnarly I'm surprised people even risk driving through it. The total amount of work done on the trail, minor sandblasting on the bridges...

Dude, me too! (Francisco, specifically)

Yeah, whenever friends or Ubers drop me off after going along that trail, they're like, "Wow, we made it. We're alive."

i would much rather have, those road chewers come out after the first big freeze and kind of level some of this shit out and fill it will gravel until we can fix them in early spring.

kick51

Banned
man, why have i not been eating sultan's every day. it's so cheap and good!

but Pita Inn in the suburbs is the best middle east cuisine I've had anywhere and that includes in the middle east.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
one in lincoln park, one in wicker park

full name is Sultan's Market

I've been to the one in Wicker Park. Honestly, not that impressed, but I had just come back from the Middle East though so that could be why. I may need to try it again. Where is Pita Inn? Is it pretty far out there?

Timurid

Pita inn is awesome. My favorite Mediterranean restaurant by far. I always go to one on Milwaukee.

I've been to the skokie location a few times, but the place is small and all the tables were taken. :(

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The best Mediterranean restaurants in the city are the ones that you actually have to be a part of the culture to know about, and if you're not, you get funny looks when you walk in, lol.

mernst23

Pita inn is awesome. My favorite Mediterranean restaurant by far. I always go to one on Milwaukee.

I've been to the skokie location a few times, but the place is small and all the tables were taken. :(

whenever im around my parents I hit that pita inn, good stuff

kick51

Banned
Pita Inn is adequate, not the best. You should check out Al Bawadi (near MDW). If that's too far out (and it is), Al Salam is a good alternative.

i'm gonna politely disagree about "adequate." Maybe it's my taste in that cuisine that's bad, but I have not had hummus + baba ganoush that I like as much as theirs, same goes for the shwarma + pita bread. even the jerusalem salad, which I wouldn't think could be screwed up at all, but sultan's barely has any tahini!

Stet

Banned
I'm coming to Chicago in May with my girlfriend who has Celiac disease. Dinners and lunches are all planned out but does anyone know of some good breakfast places that offer or can accommodate gluten free?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm coming to Chicago in May with my girlfriend who has Celiac disease. Dinners and lunches are all planned out but does anyone know of some good breakfast places that offer or can accommodate gluten free?

I don't know about gluten-free places but my favorite breakfast places in the city are Bongo Room (their pancakes are good but too sweet as a meal, better as dessert) and Sweet Maple Cafe. You would have to contact them about gluten free options though. I think that Stax has gluten-free pancakes, not sure how good they are, but the place is pretty good in general, though I like the other places I mentioned better. Oh, Orange is also a pretty good place and I think they also have gluten free options.

EDIT
http://orangerestaurantchicago.com/
http://thebongoroom.com/
http://www.sweetmaplecafe.com/
http://www.staxcafe.com/

i'm gonna politely disagree about "adequate." Maybe it's my taste in that cuisine that's bad, but I have not had hummus + baba ganoush that I like as much as theirs, same goes for the shwarma + pita bread. even the jerusalem salad, which I wouldn't think could be screwed up at all, but sultan's barely has any tahini!
I tried Pita Inn and Pita House, and if you liked their hummus, you will love Salam's. They also have Ful Midammis that is the most authentic I've had. They constantly run out of it so make sure you go there earlier in the day!

Stet

Banned
I don't know about gluten-free places but my favorite breakfast places in the city are Bongo Room (their pancakes are good but too sweet as a meal, better as dessert) and Sweet Maple Cafe. You would have to contact them about gluten free options though. I think that Stax has gluten-free pancakes, not sure how good they are, but the place is pretty good in general, though I like the other places I mentioned better. Oh, Orange is also a pretty good place and I think they also have gluten free options.

EDIT
http://orangerestaurantchicago.com/
http://thebongoroom.com/
http://www.sweetmaplecafe.com/
http://www.staxcafe.com/

Wildberry!

Gluten free pancakes for life.

You guys are awesome.

Bollocks

Those breakfast recommendations:
drooling_homer.png

Will have to check it out this month

Senza for brunch/breakfast. My wife has Celiac too, they are very careful and knowledgeable.
http://senzachicago.com/
Chicago is really rough for Celiac, we end up going to the same 2-3 places because everyone else thinks it's cool to cook "Gluten Free" in the same pan as everything else.

Top Bottom