• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

I plan to come through this city hopefully later in the year summer/fall and see what the Punk/Hardcore scene is like. I hope people are friendly here. Can't wait.

Everyone living or loves visiting Chicago ought to watch this video.
Its a 70 year old video of how Chicago was like back then. Can definitely see things that still stand today.
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2014...deo-found-at-garage-sale-shows-1940s-era-city

Cool find.

There's a lot that looks pretty similar (I knew exactly where they were with the shot looking north from south Michigan since it looks almost exactly the same) but it's pretty amazing how things have changed since then. When the camera was on Buckingham fountain looking west then panning north, I was like "well that doesn't look too differ.... whoa, where'd everything go?!"

Plus it's weird as shit to see people driving so leisurely along Lakeshore especially right around the bend at Gold Coast without any traffic jams, cabbies, middle fingers, or horns blaring.

On an unrelated note, has anyone been watching the Robert Redford Chicagoland miniseries on CNN? I caught the first episode, and it's a pretty good look at the issues here.

Bollocks

Just saw my first Bulls game. Omg loved it. Those MVP chants for Noah, unbelievable atmosphere. Sad I have to leave this amazing city!

Viewt

Had a meeting at the Sears Tower this morning and nearly got picked up and thrown into the damn river by this wind.

Oh, and hey, here's a question for Chicago-GAF - I've seen some folks talk up Aurelio's Pizza here and there. Do they even have a location within the city limits? It seems like the closest one is in La Grange. I'd love to give it a shot to see if it's all that, but I'm not about to hop on the Metra. :\

BoatAck

Had a meeting at the Sears Tower this morning and nearly got picked up and thrown into the damn river by this wind.

Oh, and hey, here's a question for Chicago-GAF - I've seen some folks talk up Aurelio's Pizza here and there. Do they even have a location within the city limits? It seems like the closest one is in La Grange. I'd love to give it a shot to see if it's all that, but I'm not about to hop on the Metra. :\

They're all in the suburbs. The Metra stop is pretty close to the La Grange location.

Madtown_

There was one just west of the South Branch, south of I290. Looks to be permanently closed now though.

kick51

Banned
new poutine place opening on Clark between Addison and Belmont:
http://mybigcheese.com/

i could see poutine being the next thing in the area after korean-fusion and banh-mi. (and whatever else i may have missed and will be corrected on :p )

also fuck the weather

Not sure if anyone here is gonna go to C2E2, but there's a bunch of Gaffers coming out for it that are staying at my place. Going to be 5 of us in a group going, would be cool to meet up with people if anyone else is planning on going any of the 3 days.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Hi gents, I will be back in Chicago with some friends next weekend and they (not me!) would like to know where you recommend going to as the best strip club...? They're a little crazy about it and don't care how much they spend. We're all Hispanic so ladies of color would be a plus.

I'm excited to go back, I'm looking to try out Smoque BBQ as well as Bop n Grill as shown on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. We are going to the cubs game on Saturday.

kick51

Banned
Hi gents, I will be back in Chicago with some friends next weekend and they (not me!) would like to know where you recommend going to as the best strip club...? They're a little crazy about it and don't care how much they spend. We're all Hispanic so ladies of color would be a plus.

I'm excited to go back, I'm looking to try out Smoque BBQ as well as Bop n Grill as shown on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. We are going to the cubs game on Saturday.

um...The Admiral, I guess? lol that's just the one I see advertised around and I know it's been around forever as an infamous chicago institution.

Smoque is fucking awesome! just make sure you get the address to the BBQ place and not the e-cig vapor places.

Ryaaan14

Banned
um...The Admiral, I guess? lol that's just the one I see advertised around and I know it's been around forever as an infamous chicago institution.

Smoque is fucking awesome! just make sure you get the address to the BBQ place and not the e-cig vapor places.

That place is p. awesome tho

Luixfern

I was at the Pink Monkey a week ago and there was some color there.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
OK, me and the guys are leaving tomorrow afternoon. Should be there in time for dinner. I have the following restaurants on my list for this trip:

Smoque BBQ
Bop N Grill
90 Miles to Cuba
Hot Dougs
Pequods (or are there any other deep dish places to look into?)

We'll only be there from Friday night to Sunday night. My goal is to at least get deep dish pizza and some hot dogs in. We're going to Wrigley Saturday, so that should be fun.

We'll likely check out Pink Monkey on Saturday night. any recommendations for a bar for Friday night? If it helps, we want to see as many women as possible haha

joelseph

Naw you good with this. It will bring you close to the west side which is the best side. I would avoid Wrigleyville at all costs but that's just me, you and your boys will probably love it. Good luck!

kick51

Banned

Lou Malnati's and that's it. but you can pick either that or pequod's and be fine

Giordano's, Gino's and Uno's are only if you want a tomato soup breadbowl with a brick of cheese in it. or Exchequer, if you want two bricks of cheese.

OK, me and the guys are leaving tomorrow afternoon. Should be there in time for dinner. I have the following restaurants on my list for this trip:

Smoque BBQ
Bop N Grill
90 Miles to Cuba
Hot Dougs

We'll only be there from Friday night to Sunday night. My goal is to at least get deep dish pizza and some hot dogs in. We're going to Wrigley Saturday, so that should be fun.

We'll likely check out Pink Monkey on Saturday night. any recommendations for a bar for Friday night? If it helps, we want to see as many women as possible haha

For barbeque, maybe check out Green Street Smoked Meats. It opened a couple months ago, but it gets packed. The food's really good, and an interesting mix of hipsters and foodies.

In terms of bars, you're going to Wrigley on Saturday already. You could go to Bucktown; Map Room, Charleston and Danny's but if you're looking for women, you could go to the River North places (3 dots and a dash, Untitled, many a rooftop bars/lounges like Vertigo, Zed 451, Epic) although it can get really fucking expensive that way.

As for Pink Monkey, it's okay. The cover's like 30, but if it's a bachelor party/birthday, they'll usually comp at least that person. It's BYOB, but it's deceptive as shit since there's still a mixer minimum, and they obviously upcharge like crazy for those. The talent's pretty good on the weekends; I've been there on weekdays and during a lapdance, once stripper told me that she had IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)... no joke. It is probably the "nicest" of the ones in Chicago. As for the others, The Admiral's not too bad, but not as classy as Pink Monkey. No alcohol though. Scores has deals that will comp the cover if you text them or something. It's a standard sports-bar/stripper kinda place.

That being said, I haven't been back to any of strip clubs in like 4 years so things might have changed.

Talon

Smoque BBQ
Bop N Grill
90 Miles to Cuba
Hot Dougs

Welli, I'm upset you didn't even ask me! I'm going to PM you the advice I gave to Larry.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Mother of god...

nYFkiyd.png

Viewt

Pretty good line-up. Not psyched to see drunk assholes puking in front of my house (I live across the street from Humboldt Park), but hey, I guess I'll see what living in Wrigleyville is like for a weekend.

nny

Hello Chicago-GAF!

In a couple of days I'll be attending a scientific meeting in your city, and I'll have some spare time to get to know the place. This will only be my second time visiting the States, and I'm hoping to see more interesting stuff than last time (I went to Phoenix and it was...lackluster).

We'll be staying near the Magnificent Mile, and so far we're thinking of visiting The Field Museum of Natural History and Shedd Aquarium.

Now, time for recommendations:

- Is there any other museum you would recommend? What about parks/gardens?
- Food: Around where we'll be staying (Magnificent Mile), where should we try the Chicago Pizza? What about a good steak house?
- What about a Blues bar?
- Any good game stores (retro gaming stores would be better); comic book store near?
- Is there any (cheap) city tour you would recommend?
- Any other recommendation?

Thank you so much!

edit: how's the weather been?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
You really can't go wrong with any of the major museums in Chicago, they are all excellent.

You can also check out the Art Institute of Chicago and/or Museum of Science and Industry. But that is a whole lot of Museums in a short amount of time, I doubt you can see all of them. The Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium are both great.

The Navy Pier is always fun to check out. If you have time, I absolutely love the Architecture boat tour. I recommend taking the one from the Architecture foundation if you do it (there are various companies, but that is the best one). You can try checking out the Hancock Observatory or the Skydeck at the Willis Tower for cool views of the city.

My top two deep dish pizza places are:
1) Pequods
2) Lou Malnati's

I believe there is a Lou's near the Magnificent Mile, but Pequods is further out. Pizzeria Uno and Duo have better atmosphere than any of the Lou's I have been to though.

I am not really sure about other food options near you, I don't really venture out there since it is mainly filled with expensive stores.

I haven't done any 'live' game or comic shopping in a long time, I just order everything online, so I have no idea what are some good stores... but, Emporium is a really cool bar in Wicker Park that is filled with tons of old retro arcade games. It is really fun, but can get a bit packed at times.

If I think of anything else I'll post more, but I highly suggest venturing out of the Magnificent Mile if you can. So many better places to check out.

Hello Chicago-GAF!

In a couple of days I'll be attending a scientific meeting in your city, and I'll have some spare time to get to know the place. This will only be my second time visiting the States, and I'm hoping to see more interesting stuff than last time (I went to Phoenix and it was...lackluster).

We'll be staying near the Magnificent Mile, and so far we're thinking of visiting The Field Museum of Natural History and Shedd Aquarium.

Now, time for recommendations:

- Is there any other museum you would recommend? What about parks/gardens?
- Food: Around where we'll be staying (Magnificent Mile), where should we try the Chicago Pizza? What about a good steak house?
- What about a Blues bar?
- Any good game stores (retro gaming stores would be better); comic book store near?
- Is there any (cheap) city tour you would recommend?
- Any other recommendation?

Thank you so much!

edit: how's the weather been?

Welcome, and enjoy your visit.

Museums: In addition tot he ones on your list, The Art Institute is my absolute favorite. You can easily spend a good half day there and there's many famous pieces there. The Museum of Science and Industry is really fun and pretty interactive too. Just to give you fair warning, Shedd tends to get really really busy... probably busier than the other ones.

Parks: Millenium Park and Grant Park are close by, and in walking distance. Millenium Park has free concerts in their Pavilion during the summer, but I don't think those start for a month or so. If you're into running or biking, you could run/bike along the lake front (there's rentals around). The Botanical Gardens is nice but like 45 minutes away from the city in good traffic.

Food: You'll hear varying opinions on the pizza. For deep dish, I like Lou Malnati's and there's lots of locations but Pequod's or Burt's Place is typically seen as the best. Around you is Purple Pig which is very good but very busy.

Steak-wise, traditionally the go-to has been Gibson's, but I like Chicago Cut Steakhouse (NOT Chicago Chophouse... don't make that mistake), David Burke's Primehouse or Bavette's Bar and Boeuf. All of those are pretty pricey.

Also go to Hot Doug's for a hot dog before it closes

Blues: House of Blues or Blue Chicago will be close by you, but I'd recommend you to check out Buddy Guy's or B.L.U.E.S instead.

Game stores: I don't know too much about this anymore, but People Play Games was always a good retro store. Also, if you want to head to an arcade bar, you can check out Headquarters or Emporium.

Tours: Probably the only one I'd recommend would be the Architecture Tour on the river.

Enjoy your stay. Where are you coming from?

Dany

Banned
You will quite honestly get your money's worth at Bavettes. If you want to splurge on great food/atmosphere you should definitely do it here.

Also you'll most likely run across a mobster! :D

nny

First of all, thank you for the info! One more question: what would be the best way to get from the Mag Mile to McCormick Place Convention Center? Google maps suggests a bus but there's still a considerable part of the trip made by foot.

If I think of anything else I'll post more, but I highly suggest venturing out of the Magnificent Mile if you can. So many better places to check out.

What would you recommend?

Enjoy your stay. Where are you coming from?

I'm coming from Portugal.

Well, I'm about to leave for the airport. I'll get to visit Germany for a few hours before going to Chicago ;) I'm really looking forward to my stay; thanks again!

Anyone playing Watch Dogs and finding it weirdly... disconcerting?

Like I know where things SHOULD be but they are there or are just strangely different enough.

Top Bottom