• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

Bursh

I recently had some Nayarit-style crab from this Mexican seafood place called Mariscos el Veveno. It's near Ukranian Village.

I also second Nuevo León in Pilsen. Lotta food for cheap and it's good.

My go-to for tacos and tortas is Pasadita on Ashland.

Chicago does not fuck around when it comes to Mexican food.

Viewt

Hey Chicago-GAF.

It's cold as shit.

That is all.

Haha yup. This is my first Chicago winter (moved from Florida), so I'm definitely still getting used to it. Though apparently it's colder/snowier this year than it's been for the last couple years - any long-term Chicagoans who can shed some light on that? I know it was 3-4 years ago that a metric fuckton of snow got dumped on the city and people abandoned their cars on Lake Shore Drive and shit.

But yeah, brrrrr.

Oh! And if any of you dudes are gonna be around Emporium on Thursday night, I'll be one of the assholes drinking free beers, grabbing free tokens and eating catered Big Star via my office Christmas party. :D

Just occurred to me, I'll be in Chicago during the St. Patrick's Day Parade.
Is this a good or bad thing?

I moved here last March, so I'm hardly an expert, but it depends on your perspective. How do you feel about public drunkenness, people wearing awful clothes and seeing an occasional fight on the bus?

Because if you don't mind it, Wrigleyville's got you covered all year round!

Hi-yoooooo

Bollocks

I moved here last March, so I'm hardly an expert, but it depends on your perspective. How do you feel about public drunkenness, people wearing awful clothes and seeing an occasional fight on the bus?

Because if you don't mind it, Wrigleyville's got you covered all year round!

Hi-yoooooo

I'm European, I don't know it any other way :D

Haha yup. This is my first Chicago winter (moved from Florida), so I'm definitely still getting used to it. Though apparently it's colder/snowier this year than it's been for the last couple years - any long-term Chicagoans who can shed some light on that? I know it was 3-4 years ago that a metric fuckton of snow got dumped on the city and people abandoned their cars on Lake Shore Drive and shit.

But yeah, brrrrr.

I think about 6 years ago was super cold. With wind chill, -20 to -30 for a few weeks straight. Then yeah we had Snowpocalypse 3 years ago. Other then that, that recently, it hasn't been too bad.

Except this year is looking to be super cold too.

Dany

Banned
My birthday IS on st. Patricks day. and last year when i turned 21 and I lived in wrigleyville.

Let's just say that I did the uninmaginable...

I studied for finals.

The weather is annoying right now. Took me over an hour to get home the other night when it's usually a 20 minute drive from work. And of course I fly out for Christmas break on Sunday and we're supposed to get quite a bit of snow.

Viewt

Well at least it's sunny today. Speaking of, we've officially had our "shortest" day now, so there's that, too. Apparently it's supposed to snow on Wednesday, but if it's anything like last night's "snow," that doesn't mean much.

On the topic of NYE, what are some good options for a nice dinner and a bit of fun without going to some crazy party?

I was thinking one of the Navy Pier cruises but I got turned off by the $60 taxes and fees for some of the nice options.

Patriots7

Sweet! Good area, tons of stuff to do there. :)
Thanks!
That's what I've heard, I have a few friends going to Northwestern who have told me similar things.

Few questions I've been debating:

Do you all think it makes sense to live closer to work? I really have enjoyed the LP area everytime I'm in town, but I've been told that it might make more sense to live in the Loop or River North due to the unpredictability of my job (and hours).

Is it worth getting a car? I've lived in DC, Atlanta and NYC, and the first two definitely made sense having one, while NYC is impossible to have one. I'm a huge fan of driving and have definitely missed the freedom of having one. Friends have all said it's not necessary though.

reKon

Banned
Thanks!
That's what I've heard, I have a few friends going to Northwestern who have told me similar things.

Do you all think it makes sense to live closer to work? I really have enjoyed the LP area everytime I'm in town, but I've been told that it might make more sense to live in the Loop or River North due to the unpredictability of my job (and hours).

Is it worth getting a car? I've lived in DC, Atlanta and NYC, and the first two definitely made sense having one, while NYC is impossible to have one. I'm a huge fan of driving and have definitely missed the freedom of having one. Friends have all said it's not necessary though.

I work in the Loop. Don't have a car. If I have to go out to client then I just rent through my company

Viewt

Thanks!

1. In regards to living close to work, it depends on where your office is, I suppose. Is it in River North? Then somewhere close to a Brown/Purple Line stop is going to make transit fairly easy. River North is also fairly close to a few Red/Blue Line stops. I live in Logan Square and commute to River North daily and it takes around 35 minutes door-to-door on the bus/train.

2. You probably won't need a car. And if you end up living anywhere close to the Loop or surrounding areas, having one will be a liability. Good luck finding parking at a decent price.

I know it's cliched as hell to bitch about Chicago winters but seriously... what the fuck.

Snow, -15, milder weather, snow melts, more snow, -9, ice, warming up to 30's... now expecting 8-12 more inches tomorrow and another shitload next week. It's not even February yet. There's still a ways to go.

On a completely unrelated but positive side, I tried honey butter fried chicken. It's pretty damn tasty.

I know it's cliched as hell to bitch about Chicago winters but seriously... what the fuck.

Snow, -15, milder weather, snow melts, more snow, -9, ice, warming up to 30's... now expecting 8-12 more inches tomorrow and another shitload next week. It's not even February yet. There's still a ways to go.

On a completely unrelated but positive side, I tried honey butter fried chicken. It's pretty damn tasty.
If you ask me, I would rather prefer snow than bone freezing windchills. Of course not in the great snowpocalypse levels of snow, but I would rather live with a foot of snowfall than deal with these insanely cold temperature drops. My furnace worked overtime to keep our house warm. I am not only dreading the heating bill, but also worried about how much life I exploited out of my heating systems this past month.

So yeah. I sort of welcome the snowfall next week because its at least giving us a respite from the bitter cold.

Talon

Thanks!

Out of all the young professionals I know - working between consulting, accounting, actuarial, and other professional service companies - maybe 10% of us lived in Gold Coast, River North, or South Loop. Most of us lived in Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, West Loop, etc.

As long as you live close to an el stop, it's easy as hell to get to work. I lived a mile west of the Fullerton Red/Brown line stop, and I was door-to-door to work within 15-30 minutes (depending on if I caught all the buses perfectly or if I took the pleasant walk).

You have to realize that if your hours are unpredictable, your firm might eat the cab costs. Almost all of our firms would comp dinner and taxi cabs if you were in the office past 8:00 PM.

Don't know if anyone would be interested, but I'm putting together a little GAF meetup of some folks the weekend of April 25-27 for C2E2. We're going to be attending all 3 days. Once I get confirmation for more people I'm going to post more details. So far there are around 5 or 6 of us going, two of who are flying in. I know Chicago GAF isn't that big in terms of meet ups but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'll try to make it to the next one, and you should def come to the next one I have at my place. Dany M is actually one of my roommates. We throw rad parties!

lunchtoast

Don't know if anyone would be interested, but I'm putting together a little GAF meetup of some folks the weekend of April 25-27 for C2E2. We're going to be attending all 3 days. Once I get confirmation for more people I'm going to post more details. So far there are around 5 or 6 of us going, two of who are flying in. I know Chicago GAF isn't that big in terms of meet ups but I figured it was worth mentioning.

I'm down for C2E2, but I ain't going to a meetup.

Sai-kun

Banned
The raddest in town!

image.php

Bollocks

Hey Chicago.
Do you use the Blue Line (Medical District) to get to the United Center? (Google Maps only shows me bus routes).
I have 2 Bulls tickets and I'm currently looking for a place to stay, but the "problem" is I barely have time after I land, I'm almost immediately on my way to the game.
I also need to drop off my luggage along the way. So if the Blue Line is a viable option that would be pretty sweet.
Use Blue Line from O'Hare, drop off luggage at California and en route to Medical District.

Also should I delay my outgoing flight by 1 day to celebrate St. Patrick's day in Chicago?
The plan was to leave for San Fran early morning on Sunday but I can't really party then.
But as it turns out I don't have to be in San Fran necessarily by Monday but Tuesday. So...

Hey Chicago.
Do you use the Blue Line (Medical District) to get to the United Center? (Google Maps only shows me bus routes).
I have 2 Bulls tickets and I'm currently looking for a place to stay, but the "problem" is I barely have time after I land, I'm almost immediately on my way to the game.
I also need to drop off my luggage along the way. So if the Blue Line is a viable option that would be pretty sweet.
Use Blue Line from O'Hare, drop off luggage at California and en route to Medical District.

Either that, or bus over to Ashland, and then take the Ashland bus down to the UC. I don't know what will be quicker - that, or taking the blue line past the loop from California to UIC Medical district. You can figure out ETAs on Google Maps, I would do it now but I should be getting ready to leave for class

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Ugh, I am pretty sure I got a speeding ticket every single day of the week last week from one of those new speeding cameras. I've basically been away for a bit so I didn't realize they put one up on a road I drive on every day. They put up a little yellow sign about a block away letting you know about the camera and placed a new speed limit sign for PARK 30 mph. That speed limit was not there before and you don't even drive through a park, you drive next to a park on a major road. Such bullshit.

I noticed the flash from the camera a few times but I thought it was catching people running a red light since the area is filled with red light cameras as well. :(

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Oh shit, I may be safe!

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e...peed_enforcementfrequentlyaskedquestions.html

Will there be a warning period?

Violations recorded in the first 30 days of a camera’s installation will receive a warning notice. In addition to the warning notice provided, each license plate will receive one warning notice per license plate.

The camera was apparently installed Feb 7. So does this mean all of my 'violations' will be warnings, or only the first one?

Top Bottom