• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child allegedly told Paterno of sex abuse in 1976, decades before official action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Because their football program literally overtook the school? Because their football program became so corrupt that its patriarch swept child molestation under the rug for decades to avoid harm to the program? They literally put football over education and child welfare.

Maybe you don't follow college football so you don't get it, but to become a major player in college football takes decades of work, you don't get to be one of the power 5 conference players in just a few years. All of Penn State's history is built upon the actions of a man who put the football program over literally everything else.

And he's dead and the public eye is still on the school over this.

Did any of the Penn State sanctions even stick past a few years? Feels like literally everything has been given back to them.

The NCAA is a joke and I'm glad Paterno knew the whole thing was crumbling down before he died.

The scholarships were given back and were reduced from the original penalty.

On July 23, 2012, NCAA announced that it had fined the Penn State football program $60 million, levied a four-year ban from bowl games and vacated all of the program's 112 wins from 1998 to 2011. They were originally scheduled to lose 10 scholarships from the incoming classes in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, which would have been a loss of 40 total scholarships. They were set to have a maximum of 75 players on scholarship in 2013, then be down to 65 total scholarships for 2014, 2015 and 2016, before increasing back up to 75 in 2017 and return to a full allotment of 85 scholarships for the 2018 season.[75]

Did any of the Penn State sanctions even stick past a few years? Feels like literally everything has been given back to them.

The NCAA is a joke and I'm glad Paterno knew the whole thing was crumbling down before he died.
Nope..

And it feels like everything was given back to them because everything was for all intents and purposes..

Not really.
Yup.. People have forgotten and I don't think anything is going to happen over this..

Nope..

And it feels like everything was given back to them because everything was for all intents and purposes..

Because the NCAA didn't have legal authority to punish them like that, and instead of doing the moral thing and just accepting the penalty anyway, they took the NCAA to fucking court.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is an ACTUAL post. On an ACTUAL message board. From ACTUAL PSU fans.

Delusion doesn't even begin to describe it.

In the end, it's not about their stupid defense force, though, it's about the institution that is Penn State Football. It's a $100 million dollar business. They are routinely one of the top 5 in revenue. They make so much fucking money it is insane. And the reason it exists as a juggernaut it is today is largely because of Jo Paterno's decision to keep silent.

Look at the dates being discussed - 1976: Penn State went 9-3 in 1975 and finished #10, then went 11-1 in 1977 and finished #5. They were in the National Title hunt those years.

1987: Penn State had finished 12-0 in 1986 and won their last national championship. They were in the national title hunt.

1988: This was Joe Paterno's worst year in a long time, people were asking if he should retire.

A sex abuse scandal in any of those years would have destroyed their football program and caused irreparable harm. By being able to weather those years, Penn State is what it is today. Don't forget, they were independents until 1991, their application into the Big Ten wasn't set in stone until 3 years after this last time a child told joe pa personally what happened. Do you think the Big Ten would have let Penn State into the conference in 1991 with a sex abuse scandal on their hands?

Every single time the Joe Paterno didn't act, it was directly for the betterment of himself and the football program and Penn State's pecking order in the college football world.

That is fucking disgusting. Their football program is built on ill gains, and it doesn't deserve to exist.

In the end, it's not about their stupid defense force, though, it's about the institution that is Penn State Football. It's a $100 million dollar business. They are routinely one of the top 5 in revenue. They make so much fucking money it is insane. And the reason it exists as a juggernaut it is today is largely because of Jo Paterno's decision to keep silent.

Look at the dates being discussed - 1976: Penn State went 9-3 in 1975 and finished #10, then went 11-1 in 1977 and finished #5. They were in the National Title hunt those years.

1987: Penn State had finished 12-0 in 1986 and won their last national championship. They were in the national title hunt.

1988: This was Joe Paterno's worst year in a long time, people were asking if he should retire.

A sex abuse scandal in any of those years would have destroyed their football program and caused irreparable harm. By being able to weather those years, Penn State is what it is today. Don't forget, they were independents until 1991, their application into the Big Ten wasn't set in stone until 3 years after this last time a child told joe pa personally what happened. Do you think the Big Ten would have let Penn State into the conference in 1991 with a sex abuse scandal on their hands?

Every single time the Joe Paterno didn't act, it was directly for the betterment of himself and the football program and Penn State's pecking order in the college football world.

That is fucking disgusting. Their football program is built on ill gains, and it doesn't deserve to exist.

It's just meant to be an example of the level of delusion surrounding the program, directly caused by its continued survival. Instead of it being destroyed in 2012 when it should have, it was allowed to fester and live and it's fans and supporters turned THEMSELVES into the "real" victims.

Everything you said it's point blank why the program shouldn't exist.

riotous

Banned
It doesn't make sense to me why he'd cover this up; was the guy that important of an assistant coach?

If Paterno had taken care of this 30+ years ago, how would that really ahve affected he program that much?

Aside from being a piece of shit of course, what reason did he have to let something so eggregrious go for so long?

Krejlooc

Banned
And he's dead and the public eye is still on the school over this.

Yet the football program still lives, and ranked in $6 million in revenue from it's bowl appearance alone (it took SMU 30 fucking years to reach a bowl game after it's sanctions for paying players, btw, because they were so harsh). While the victims get like $500k each from penn state, which penn state is expecting to be reimbursed for.

The football program saw essentially no punishment. It's disgusting.

As fucking awful as it is to type this out....that's because Bush' and USC actions had direct impact on the game. I feel so dirty have to even come up with a rationale as to why one was a worse penalty than the other. However, I would presume this would be the only way it could be spun.

They had absolutely no impact on the game. Bush was already going to USC. In fact, the wannabe agents giving him stuff were trying to get him to leave USC as soon as possible so they could get fat NFL money.

It doesn't make sense to me why he'd cover this up; was the guy that important of an assistant coach?

If Paterno had taken care of this 30+ years ago, how would that really ahve affected he program that much?

Aside from being a piece of shit of course, what reason did he have to let something so eggregrious go for so long?

Because he was a coward and knew that the revelation would destroy his program for a while.

Because the NCAA didn't have legal authority to punish them like that, and instead of doing the moral thing and just accepting the penalty anyway, they took the NCAA to fucking court.
I do remember that.. Yeah. Fucking nuts.

Didn't the settlement between the NCAA and Penn State require Penn State to say that the NCAA was correct to administer or something along those lines or am I crazy?

I've been tapped out of CFB for the last few years, but has there been any other coach in CFB, either in the last 50 years or ever, that has the kind of cult PSU/Paterno has? You have Bear Bryant, Bowden, Holta as iconic coaches but they, to my knowledge, are not on the level of Paterno.

Maybe Saban is getting there?

Krejlooc

Banned

Jerry Sandusky was essentially the second in command. He was Joe Paterno's right hand man, and was their defensive coordinator. Penn State's reputation in those days was hardnosed defense, they won the 1986 national championship because of their defense.

Yes, he was one of the best coordinators in college football. He was largely considered Penn State's head coach in waiting. He was Joe Paterno's successor.

And I already explained why, in those specific years, reporting a sex abuse scandal would have been disastrous for the team.

These specific incidents happened at hugely important moments in Penn State football's history. All this stuff was basically going on during their second glory era, which their modern foundation is largely built on.

I've been tapped out of CFB for the last few years, but has there been any other coach in CFB, either in the last 50 years or ever, that has the kind of cult PSU/Paterno has? You have Bear Bryant, Bowden, Holta as iconic coaches but they, to my knowledge, are not on the level of Paterno.

Not even Saban has this level of insanity.

I mean, look at Bobby Bowden, who won more games than Joe Pa, more titles than Joe Pa, in a bigger football environment against better competition than Joe Pa.

That dude is just a hokey good ole boy from the south who fans like cause he's loud and hammy and funny.

They didn't build a fucking religion around the man and his program.

Krejlooc

Banned

It would be essentially impossible to build a cult of personality like Joe Paterno did today, because we live in a hyper connected world. Joe Paterno could get away with it because college football was regional and insular at the time, and people only really knew him through quotes like "Grand experiment!" and "aw shucks" and living in a one story house and walking to work and shit like that.

Today, coaches have press conferences before every practice and essentially act as politicians.

If we had to name coaches.. Probably Bryant and Woody Hayes., but even they still pale in comparison to Paterno

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Penn State needed the fucking death penalty so bad. Fucking disgusting.

Tom Osborne, we (Nebraskans) elected him to Congress, for a start. Held in crazy high esteem here, like hallowed tones level.

Tom Osborne, we (Nebraskans) elected him to Congress, for a start. Held in crazy high esteem here, like hallowed tones level.
I forgot about that. Didn't he also serve as AD for like a dozen years.

So Osbourne, Hayes, and Bryant.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I forgot about that. Didn't he also serve as AD for like a dozen years.

So Osbourne, Hayes, and Bryant.

He was simultaneously assistant AD and football head coach for most of his HC career, until his retirement as HC in 1997 and asst. AD in 1998. Then he was full AD from 2007–2013.

(That said he did try running for governor but lost in the Republican primary)

FyreWulff

Couldn't get elected Governor, though. He was basically able to get to Congress because he ran for office in the farmland district and only had to win the Republican primary to get into office. A paper bag with "republican" written on it could win out there.

So I like to believe at minimum Tom doesn't have as much crazies around him as Joe did.

Couldn't get elected Governor, though. He was basically able to get to Congress because he ran for office in the panhandle district and only had to win the Republican primary to get into office. A paper bag with "republican" written on it could win out there.

So I like to believe at minimum Tom doesn't have as much crazies around him as Joe did.
I think it's pretty safe that while all the coaches have a following.. Not necessarily as crazy as Paterno's

FStubbs

The fact USC got a worse penalty than Penn State, that they didn't get the Death Penalty, was corrupt and immoral to its core,and exposed the NCAA's hypocrisy. 4 year Death Penalty was what that school deserved.

If this pans out, the Death Penalty needs to be revisited, and at the very least, all of Paterno's post '76 wins, including the championships, need to be vacated.

Paterno himself may as well have molested those kids.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
As far as people looking for a comparison between coaches, the closest i can think of is Coach K I'm basketball at Duke. He's the only guy I can see still being that Emperor Coach that is always above repute.

sibarraz

Banned
Question, why paterno choose to had deaf ears with this whole situation?

Wouldn't had been easier to just bust the pedophile assistant and call it a day?

Question, why paterno choose to had deaf ears with this whole situation?

Wouldn't had been easier to just bust the pedophile assistant and call it a day?

The pedophile assistant was his prized defensive coordinator, and until it became clear he was a creep/monster, was actually the HC in waiting (back when people thought Paterno might actually retire before he was 100 years old). Also a child rape scandal would probably have destroyed the program, at the very least in perception, and made it alot harder to recruit/win. In short, Paterno valued winning football games over protecting children from his child raping friend. Paterno can rot in hell.

riotous

Banned
Jerry Sandusky was essentially the second in command.

*snip*

These specific incidents happened at hugely important moments in Penn State football's history. All this stuff was basically going on during their second glory era, which their modern foundation is largely built on.

Thanks for the explanation.

I had one school on my ban list when applying to college: Penn State.

The cult-like following of Penn State always rubbed me the wrong way, but this whole situation has brought it to a whole new level. How can they still be defending this guy? They just need to let it go and turn their attention to where it really matters: the victims and this type of crime in general. That won't happen though, at least for a long time.

Draxal

Ayup, here's the thing that people don't understand about the NCAA.

They didn't have anything about hiding criminal sex abuse by coaches in their bylaws, while they did have bylaws against what the USCs and SMU's did.

What they did was so heinous that it was inconceivable for the NCAA to have those laws in place already, it becomes more of an accreditation issue at this point. But that's the real real nuke option (that UNC's accreditors also really don't want to do as well either).

Bear, maybe Woody Hayes (held in high esteem by alot of Buckeyes but what he did to get fired was so unappropriate). I wouldn't put Tom Osbourne in that category, in that he didn't do overtly shitty things like Hayes and Bear.

It would be essentially impossible to build a cult of personality like Joe Paterno did today, because we live in a hyper connected world. Joe Paterno could get away with it because college football was regional and insular at the time, and people only really knew him through quotes like "Grand experiment!" and "aw shucks" and living in a one story house and walking to work and shit like that.

Today, coaches have press conferences before every practice and essentially act as politicians.

Your Penn State history would have to be the roadmap for any such cult. It'd have to be someone who drags a shitty team up from a lower division and breaks into the Power 5. It'll never happen.

The only way Penn State should have a football program is if it's shut down, drained of all resources, then rebuilt. Y'all are spot on. This program exists because of the cover-up, and it should end. I'd grant a new program to come back as long as no staff, funds, or organizational resources from the current program remain. Drain the coffers and donate it to a child abuse charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom