• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

tebunker

Banned
I know this is the lazy way out but does anyone have 2 player impressions or a good link to any? I bought it so I will find out later tomorrow but would love to read some 2 p thoughts

Ashtar

Just played the demo was going to hold off until finals are over but eff it I'm going in game is too gorgeous and the battle was really fun on hard (can't lie I got owned on my first fight)

amrod

Since its not a crossbuy on USA (Canada) Sony store for ps3 / ps4 version, the euro store is crossbuy... I'll buy this on steam instead

seat

I'm not sure on whether to get the Wii U or the Xbox 360 version. Is the Wii U version's graphics not in par with 360's? Does the Wii U gamepad add a lot to the experience? Any advice is appreciated.

MercuryLS

Banned
I usually don't like RPGs but I'm actually enjoying the battles, which surprised me. Fun little game so far from the demo, I might just buy it.

Zukuu

Banned
My only gripe so far is that I don't fucking know where the side quests are supposed to be. The fucking rhym makes it impossible to guess where you have to go. >_>

Seda

My only gripe so far is that I don't fucking know where the side quests are supposed to be. The fucking rhym makes it impossible to guess where you have to go. >_>

I never figured out what to do with a quest dealing with an apple and trading, haha.

Calcium

Banned
I never figured out what to do with a quest dealing with an apple and trading, haha.

Yeah, I didn't finish that one either. I gave the apple to a dude in exchange for a shovel. No idea what I'm supposed to do with that, though.

Seda

Yeah, I didn't finish that one either. I gave the apple to a dude in exchange for a shovel. No idea what I'm supposed to do with that, though.

Oh, I found a guy looking for a shovel but never the guy who gives me the shovel. Shovel-less dude is right of the altar I believe.

Guys, guys..... This game. Amazing. Combat is on the easy side, but everything else makes up for it.

So where is my Golem dude from my pre-order DLC?

ReaperXL7

So far I'm in love with this game every time I think they can't top something I have seen visually they bring something new and awesome to feast my eyes on.

The combat is a lot of fun on hard, and while the Rhyme stuff does not always seem fluid I do think it adds a nice touch the the overall experience. I know people are down on Ubi a lot, but if the quality of their downloadable stuff remains as high as this and Blood Dragon I will continue to be excited for their games.

jholmes

I'm not sure on whether to get the Wii U or the Xbox 360 version. Is the Wii U version's graphics not in par with 360's? Does the Wii U gamepad add a lot to the experience? Any advice is appreciated.

The Wii U version is supposed to be at least as good as 360, definitely not worse. Not sure if it's better.

Zukuu

Banned
Well I traded the Apple-->Shovel-->Lantern

Now I have to figure out who needs that.

I think I've found him. Just before the 2nd town, fly down the mountain. There is a sole miner who wants "a light". Now tell me where the apple is D:

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

The firefly moves 3x faster on the touchpad than the R stick... And I like using it to mix up combat commands a bit when in Hard mode during battle. Its minor but that plus off TV play make it better than the 360 SKU in my eyes.

If resolution is your number 1 than ps4 or xbo would be your best bet.
Control, Wii u

Man, that first major boss battle was really satisfying. Mostly because it absolutely destroyed me on my first attempt. Equipping the right shard thingies really came in handy.

What the heck Sony I went to the demo section and child of light was even there, I found out about it here, you have to click on the game and than try free demo..

Seda

I think I've found him. Just before the 2nd town, fly down the mountain. There is a sole miner who wants "a light". Now tell me where the apple is D:

Thanks, that finishes the quest.

You start the quest from a Bolmus in their town sitting on a barrel up on the first tower. The reward is decent
Six strength stardusts
and is an achievement/trophy I believe.

Now I have this Cynbel's Secret quest that I don't even remember where I got it.

legbone

developers need to take note. demos still sell games. i suck at rpgs and generally do not care for them. i thought, what the hell i'll give it a shot since my ps4 is starving for food. anyway, i played through the demo. my rpg disabled mind took a while to grasp the battle system. once i did i found myself loving it. this is the first time in a long time that when i got to the end of the demo i said "no! dammit i want to play more!". the fact that demos are going the way of the dodo is sad in my opinion. this game's demo completely sold me on something that i would not have normally bought. well, i'm off to add funds to the psn wallet and buy this. as a non-rpg player, wish me luck. i'm going to need it. i'll definitely be playing on normal which is easy from what i hear. it will be just right for me i have a feeling.

tldr: demo sold the game to someone that doesn't play rpgs and wouldn't have even considered buying without the demo. developers take note. don't stop doing demos.

MercuryLS

Banned
developers need to take note. demos still sell games. i suck at rpgs and generally do not care for them. i thought, what the hell i'll give it a shot since my ps4 is starving for food. anyway, i played through the demo. my rpg disabled mind took a while to grasp the battle system. once i did i found myself loving it. this is the first time in a long time that when i got to the end of the demo i said "no! dammit i want to play more!". the fact that demos are going the way of the dodo is sad in my opinion. this game's demo completely sold me on something that i would not have normally bought. well, i'm off to add funds to the psn wallet and buy this. as a non-rpg player, wish me luck. i'm going to need it. i'll definitely be playing on normal which is easy from what i hear. it will be just right for me i have a feeling.

tldr: demo sold the game to someone that doesn't play rpgs and wouldn't have even considered buying without the demo. developers take note. don't stop doing demos.

This is me, I was going to pass on this game as someone who doesn't really care for RPGs. I really enjoyed the demo and bought it a few minutes ago. Demos still work if you do them well.

legbone

yeah, it really is sad that more and more developers are not doing demos. i love them and since i'm an impulsive monkey they usually sell me on a game unless it is complete crap. i know it takes time and money but i really do miss the days of last gen when there was a demo popping almost every other week. hell, i wish they would just do post release demos. i'm itching to buy killzone shadowfall but the demo they had was multiplayer only. i don't play much multiplayer. i wish they would do a campaign demo just so i can see if i want to buy. i know in my heart that an octodad demo would have sold me on it but since it's so short from what i hear, there's no way i'm risking it, even with a plus discount. sorry developers, thems the breaks.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
DOwnloadable game + cheap price point + demo available day one (not prior to launch) seems to be the best conversion formula.

I can support that model. Let's hope it sticks.
I think long lead demos for multiplayer games have basically become early access betas, and downloadable $15 games might do well to offer 30-60 min slices on day one. Just enough content to determine if you're interested and still st a 'window shopper' price point. $60 games with big chunk demos have pretty much become a waste of money because of live streaming and Let's Play.

Any suggestions on anything gameplay wise? What do I want to do with my gems? Can you really "waste" them at all with bad combos? Also, is it better to go down one path for a character or go through them evenly

spannicus

For anyone wondering. The games runs pefect on the Vita via Remote play. I never played a turn based game before and I am thoroughly enjoying Child of Light. Damn Sony why u make PS4 so good?

Zukuu

Banned
Any suggestions on anything gameplay wise? What do I want to do with my gems? Can you really "waste" them at all with bad combos? Also, is it better to go down one path for a character or go through them evenly
Read what you get with each tree and then go even untill you get all the stuff you want and then focus. For Aur I'd certainly go the melee route first (and spend 2 points to get each lvl 1 spell). I then went for counter attack, stopped afterwards and got the +dmg self buff. For your healer I got the heal spell and then went with physical as well. For the caster I just focused on one element first. Lightning seems to be the best, since it has all the +magic dmg passives in it. I went with fire first tho. In retrospect, I should have went with water. I face fire enemies so often. :<

You can always mix your gems until you get the final form (
Spinel
which is imo best in-slot for offense and utility. At least for physical attacker (so all but your caster really))

edit: ah yeah, get 'Group Protection' FIRST for
Norah
. Best spell in the game to start a battle with. Quickening is crap² and slow only so-so.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played about a half an hour on hard. I like it but does difficulty have an effect on enemy ambushes? I just started and a bunch of ghosts ambush me every single time.

To the people who are waiting on Green Man Gaming, did you check your actual account on the website, or are you just waiting for an email? Sometimes people are waiting around for an email and don't realize that the key is already posted under their account on the site. Not sure if that's the case here specifically, but just something to check

jet1911

No fucking clue how I did that but I bought the game instead of downloading the demo. Fuck. I already bought the game from GMG yesterday lol...

seat

The firefly moves 3x faster on the touchpad than the R stick... And I like using it to mix up combat commands a bit when in Hard mode during battle. Its minor but that plus off TV play make it better than the 360 SKU in my eyes.

If resolution is your number 1 than ps4 or xbo would be your best bet.
Control, Wii u

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for the input. Downloading the Wii U version now. For some reason I thought I had read the Wii U suffering from graphical hitches making it worse than the PS3 and 360 versions, but I probably recalled it wrong.

Blues1990

I'm going to play this game along with Final Fantasy VI, which I had never played before. I honestly can't wait. (Oh, and the soundtrack for Child of Light is brilliant.)

Battle system is actually pretty surprising to me. Takes me beloved turn based system and adds some layers of depth I did not expect. Love being able to slow down a tougher foe while attempting to gain an extra attack to try and get in an extra strike against it. Loving the way the vulnerability is set up for each monster so it is pretty crucial to find the enemy weaknesses quickly.

Like being able to move around the screen and grab those orbs with the igniculus. Already survived a few battles due to those types of things.

Great stuff, and holy shit the art with this music! Fantastic and engrossing

Exile20

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for the input. Downloading the Wii U version now. For some reason I thought I had read the Wii U suffering from graphical hitches making it worse than the PS3 and 360 versions, but I probably recalled it wrong.

How is the Wii U version?

Oh and for those who haven't tried it, you can move around the igniculus with the touchpad and can push in the touchpad to, for example, activate those timer triggers or open a chest or whatever. Much smoother and faster then using sticks

Top Bottom