• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

HUELEN10

I don't want to go into this thread too much due to not wanting to be spoiled in any way, and ctrl+F wasn't turning up much, so I will just ask this; I really want to jump into this game as close to blind as possible.

I saw on the eShop page that the Wii U version supports the gamepad as well as the Wii Remote. I don't like playing with the gamepad as it breaks immersion for me in these types of games, but how are the Wii Remote controls? If those are just aim and point, then I will go with the Wii U one.

No Pro Controller support right? eShop page doesn't seem to say.

Got to the
Giant boss
and I'm having a little bit of difficulty. I'm playing on Normal too. Guess I need to do a little bit of grinding already.

ohlawd

Got to the
Giant boss
and I'm having a little bit of difficulty. I'm playing on Normal too. Guess I need to do a little bit of grinding already.

I'm playing on Hard and that boss made me use my revive items. MY FUCKING REVIVE ITEMS.

I don't know what to say. Clear the grunts first and at this point, you really got to be on point on what you do when your turn is up. Like when you and the boss are close in the act gauge you gotta ask yourself "if I attack, will I be able to reach the end of the gauge before the enemy and interrupt their attack or will the opposite occur and my attack gets interrupted?" The jester ally is nice in that his attack takes a short time as opposed to Aurora's which is medium.

jwk94

So how do we tell what monsters are weak to what? Are they color-coded? Also, what was that pre-order DLC about?

Clownboat

Banned
This game looks right up my alley, both gameplay-wise and aesthetically. I'd love to get it for my new Wii U, but I can't really justify playing in 720p or buying a digital copy that's as restricted as eShop games are. I'll definitely be playing this on PC, though.

Zukuu

Banned
So how do we tell what monsters are weak to what? Are they color-coded? Also, what was that pre-order DLC about?

Some are color coded. Others you see when they attack which element they use. For some you have to try or just don't counter use an element. Really, it's not all that important and not worth the hassle for non-boss-encounters most of the time.

This game looks right up my alley, both gameplay-wise and aesthetically. I'd love to get it for my new Wii U, but I can't really justify playing in 720p or buying a digital copy that's as restricted as eShop games are. I'll definitely be playing this on PC, though.

It doesn't really matter how you play it, just make sure you do.

You just have to try different magic against them. Some is pretty obvious though. Like a fire wolf will of course be weak to water. A water enemy weak against lightning and so forth. Otherwise it is just trying a spell and seeing the results.

Blackdog

Banned
I've only played the PS4 demo so far, but I'm not quite grasping the timing of the combat. Does the full game have a detailed combat tutorial?

I've only played the PS4 demo so far, but I'm not quite grasping the timing of the combat. Does the full game have a detailed combat tutorial?

What part are you not grasping? The regular bar at the bottom is on a set time for all characters on the screen. Various items / spells can speed up or slow down the movement of your character on the line. When your icon hits Cast and you are prompted to attack, this area works on a timer/speed that is dictated by the time Shown on your attack.

So Starlight with Very Long will move very slowly to the end of the Cast bar, whereas Strike / Fast will move fast to the end of the bar. Your enemy has various speeds to their attacks as well.

You can go deeper by slowing down the enemy with your igniculus and such. Cast spells to slow them down, or make yourself faster. Generally, if multiple enemies are about to attack, or hit the Cast portion of the bar and you are far away from Cast, you want to defend to lessen damage taken by the upcoming strikes. And if you just hit cast and enemies are right behind you, casting may not be a good idea if you are using a Long type spell as their attacks might interrupt you.

Shit like that

Blackdog

Banned
What part are you not grasping? The regular bar at the bottom is on a set time for all characters on the screen. Various items / spells can speed up or slow down the movement of your character on the line. When your icon hits Cast and you are prompted to attack, this area works on a timer/speed that is dictated by the time Shown on your attack.

So Starlight with Very Long will move very slowly to the end of the Cast bar, whereas Strike / Fast will move fast to the end of the bar. Your enemy has various speeds to their attacks as well.

You can go deeper by slowing down the enemy with your igniculus and such. Cast spells to slow them down, or make yourself faster. Generally, if multiple enemies are about to attack, or hit the Cast portion of the bar and you are far away from Cast, you want to defend to lessen damage taken by the upcoming strikes. And if you just hit cast and enemies are right behind you, casting may not be a good idea if you are using a Long type spell as their attacks might interrupt you.

Shit like that

So if the attack is a slow one, it takes me longer to get through that final chunk of the bar? But if I move through it quickly, there's a chance I can move ahead of my opponents next attack if he chose a slower attack than me?

ohlawd

So if the attack is a slow one, it takes me longer to get through that final chunk of the bar? But if I move through it quickly, there's a chance I can move ahead of my opponents next attack if he chose a slower attack than me?
That's correct.

Some monsters have attacks that just zip through the bar. In that case, it'd be dumb not to defend :p

Blackdog

Banned
That's correct.

Some monsters have attacks that just zip through the bar. In that case, it'd be dumb not to defend :p

Alright, I think I'm getting a better idea of how this works, and I like it. Hopefully the flip switchers at MS can get the XB1 version up tonight at midnight. Thanks guys, you sold me on this one.

Another happy camper for the Wii U version. Touch screen control is where it's at. I do find myself alternating from the touch screen to the stick from time to time though, depends on the situation.

And the game is so engrossing. I'm impressed.

ReaperXL7

Be forewarned those who do not like Spiders, there is quite a few in this game.

Actually just fought
a giant spider queen
in a
mouse village that is located on the shoulders of a giant

It's been awhile since I have played a game this engrossing to be honest.

Beaulieu

yeah and since hes in the casting bar when youll attack, he will be interupted and pushed back into the regular bar

Exactly. The way they utilize timing in the battle system is actually very well done.

If you attack while an enemy is within the cast bar you have a chance of interrupting their attack which pushes them back into the regular portion of the bar. Same for you. If you are within the cast portion waiting for your attack to cast and they hit you, your attack can be interrupted. Hell even a simple potion use can be interrupted if the timing is just right.

Pimpwerx

I wish there was a crafting guide already. I just know I'm wasting my gems, and they look to have a finite number in the game world. PEACE.

Put a good three hours into this tonight. I am absolutely loving it. Wow. The combat system is a huge surprise to me. I didn't expect this timing combat system to be as much fun as it is. Music/Visuals are stunning as well. The rhyming stuff doesn't bother me at all I think it flows pretty well for the most part. This has the potential to be one of my favorite games of the year.

vpance

I just played for almost 3 hours, got to Chapter 4 and quit thinking it saved. Then I see there's no continue game WTF

Pimpwerx

I just played for almost 3 hours, got to Chapter 4 and quit thinking it saved. Then I see there's no continue game WTF
You'll see a little spinning wheel in the lower right corner when it saves. It saves often. Every chest opened, battle or change of "area". By ch4 it's saved dozens of times. PEACE.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Loving how useful - and important - Guard (or Block) is in this game. Finally, a reason to use that command In an RPG. The real time battle system is perfect for it. Playing on Hard.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hey that fight on the top of the tree of thorns was tough!
Is there really nothing up here? I didn't even get anything for beating it :(

So I ran into a bug I think I'm on the quest
where you clear out the rat guys basement with all the fire guys. I got them all I think. Checked around a few times and the quest still won't complete.
Anyone else ran into this?

Spy

100%'d the game on Hard. I'm scared to select New Game + because I'm not sure if I'll lose my levels. Anyone know what NG+ does?

Top Bottom