• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh man, this little key chain is awesome. :p

CdJ.jpg

vpance

So the demo IS the full game without a license? If I download the demo and then enter the code from the deluxe edition I wouldn't have to download the full game again?

Yeah, it's the same. It usually is on these smaller downloadable titles. I'd just recommend to make sure your game is actually saving (white spinning icon periodically) after unlocking.

KeRaSh

Yeah, it's the same. It usually is on these smaller downloadable titles. I'd just recommend to make sure your game is actually saving (white spinning icon periodically) after unlocking.

Now the question remains if I can unlock the demo downloaded from the US store with a code bought from Amazon UK... Probably not but I might as well try it. Worst case scenario I have to download it anyways.

Gaz_RB

I think the coop in this is awesome. It's very effective for getting someone who never otherwise play a JRPG to start playing one. It feels like the perfect casual-hardcore bridge game.

The trick is to have them play as Aurora, while you can help them out without seeming like you're playing the whole game for them. It becomes you two discovering the game together rather than you sitting over their shoulder helping them play something like FFX. And playing on hard, there is actually a decent amount if strategy to playing as the firefly. Choosing when and who to slow down really creates some nice teamwork (or when not to speed them up). It's so satisfying to work together and stun lock an enemy to death.

The coop is fun, and doesn't automatically need to be the more casual player controlling the firefly.

Didn't even notice in the OP you could click the first image to listen to the music. Haha nice job iNvid02!
OT technology is getting out of hand! Has science gone too far?

leng jai

Still tossing up between getting the PSN version and the Deluxe. The Deluxe is double the price... Anyone have any comments on it?

m@cross

Ok so I played this last night with my wife, and started on hard. Went through and got past the 1st boss, but once I got to the well boss I had to go back to normal. Even then I went through about 10 potions and 2 party members to beat him.

Question: Is the leveling system fixed int hat certain sections of the game you should be a certain level, or does it change dynamically? Seems I am even struggling a bit on some of the trash encounters, is it that I am not the right level yet for the area?

Also a bit frustrating as after each fight I often can't find anyway to replenish MP/HP before the next one other than to sit for a few minutes and let the firefly re-gen my HP.

Aruhamel

Banned
The battle system was touted as being like Grandia's, but it's nothing like it. It's more like the ATB system from older Final Fantasies. There's no movement or positioning and time actually stands still while turns are executed, in sharp contrast to what Grandia did.

StuBurns

Banned
It really is incredibly pretty.

The automated camera is pretty janky though, I don't know if I've ever seen a bad automated camera in a 2D platformer style game like this. The music cutting off instantly when you go to the menu is really awful too. Otherwise, it makes a great first impression. The only other thing, the word gleam is truly awful, I wish to never hear it again.

Slacker

How's the wiiu version?

Really good. I played a couple hours with my daughter so far. I wish it worked with the pro controller, but aside from that it looks and plays great. The second player can control Ignicius (spelling?) with a Wii remote (holding it Mario-style - not pointing at the screen).

I'd much rather 10-15 refined hours than an extra 25 of filler. I'm gettin' old, I don't got time / attention span for 40+ hours.
Amen to that.

Gaz_RB

Ok so I played this last night with my wife, and started on hard. Went through and got past the 1st boss, but once I got to the well boss I had to go back to normal. Even then I went through about 10 potions and 2 party members to beat him.

Question: Is the leveling system fixed int hat certain sections of the game you should be a certain level, or does it change dynamically? Seems I am even struggling a bit on some of the trash encounters, is it that I am not the right level yet for the area?

Also a bit frustrating as after each fight I often can't find anyway to replenish MP/HP before the next one other than to sit for a few minutes and let the firefly re-gen my HP.

I don't think it scales, but beating a boss has a lot to do with your strategy and how you're utilizing the firefly to strategically slow down enemies. I got wiped the first time I fought the first boss, but then came back without leveling and trounced him.

Also there really isn't anything like trash encounters in this game. All the battles can be fairly challenging on hard, and you'll need to think strategically about most of them.

As for healing outside of battle, if you collect wishes in order (orange orbs first) you get hp/mp bonuses. You can also use potions outside of battle (and maybe heal spells too, haven't tried). Also if you lose a battle, you'll fully heal.

KeRaSh

Still tossing up between getting the PSN version and the Deluxe. The Deluxe is double the price... Anyone have any comments on it?

Double the price? It's 12 Pounds on the UK PSN and 15ish on Amazon.co.uk
15€ vs 20€ on Amazon.de
Not sure how the US situation is.
It has DLC and physical swag so I'd say the slightly higher price is well worth it.

leng jai

Double the price? It's 12 Pounds on the UK PSN and 15ish on Amazon.co.uk
15€ vs 20€ on Amazon.de
Not sure how the US situation is.
It has DLC and physical swag so I'd say the slightly higher price is well worth it.

Sorry for some reason I thought it was $40 in Australia when it's actually $30. So $20 vs $30.

m@cross

I don't think it scales, but beating a boss has a lot to do with your strategy and how you're utilizing the firefly to strategically slow down enemies. I got wiped the first time I fought the first boss, but then came back without leveling and trounced him.

Also there really isn't anything like trash encounters in this game. All the battles can be fairly challenging on hard, and you'll need to think strategically about most of them.

As for healing outside of battle, if you collect wishes in order (orange orbs first) you get hp/mp bonuses. You can also use potions outside of battle (and maybe heal spells too, haven't tried). Also if you lose a battle, you'll fully heal.

Ok if it doesn't scale I may just need to adjust my play style. I was using the firefly to bypass most mobs, so I might be a bit behind the curb. Good to know the orange first thing; I thought it had to do with getting them all fast, not getting orange first.

KeRaSh

Sorry for some reason I thought it was $40 in Australia when it's actually $30. So $20 vs $30.

Ah, that seems (more) reasonable. Just think about the Amano poster! :D
Well, I guess it comes down to wether you like the physical stuff that comes with the deluce edition or if the extra content is worth anything to you.

Seda

The battle system was touted as being like Grandia's, but it's nothing like it. It's more like the ATB system from older Final Fantasies. There's no movement or positioning and time actually stands still while turns are executed, in sharp contrast to what Grandia did.

It's a hybrid of the two, but how every ability requires a 'cast' time - with any attack action able to interrupt any other action depending on an icon's timeline position is definitely reminiscent of Grandia.

lt519

Only see the PS3 version on the playstation network through a browser. Trying to download and install while I'm at work. Is it a cross-platform buy is there only one option?

PS3 Version

I don't much care for the writing, but everything else about the game is really good so far.

I regret buying that Golem DLC. He's a pretty awful character because of his horrible speed. The golem has great stats and some useful abilities, but when you're so slow and your abilities have long casting times, you're at a huge disadvantage in this battle system.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does this game have any indication where to go (or what to do) to continue the main story?
I was playing it kind of late yesterday and turned off after completing a side-quest (
killed spiders near that dude's house
).
Today I'm not sure where to go, maybe I've skipped some dialog...

Seda

Maybe I'm missing something, but does this game have any indication where to go (or what to do) to continue the main story?
I was playing it kind of late yesterday and turned off after completing a side-quest (
killed spiders near that dude's house
).
Today I'm not sure where to go, maybe I've skipped some dialog...

Should be a hint on the menu screen. Of course, it's in rhyme, and possibly vague.

Just got the game up and running on my PC.

True to form, the game runs bloody well on my ancient 5 year old laptop that has a Core 2 Duo T9550 CPU and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 GPU. Smooth and consistent 1080p60 with no dips, just like the previous 2 UbiArt games (Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends).

I wonder why the previous gen consoles (PS360) + Wii U were locked to 720p? They handled the previous UbiArt games at 1080p60 easily.

Just got to Chapter 2 right near the beginning of the game. Really gorgeous game.

Calcium

Banned
I just finished the game. I really enjoyed my time with the Child of Light even despite the annoying rhyming. Óengus and I made one hell of a team, I'll miss the ugly bastard.

rybrad

Is there anything worth getting from the Uplay rewards? Almost all of them just seem like consumable items that would make the game easier which I am not really looking for.

Calcium

Banned
Is there anything worth getting from the Uplay rewards? Almost all of them just seem like consumable items that would make the game easier which I am not really looking for.

There are some potions and stardust items, but I guess you wouldn't be interested in those. The only other thing I remember seeing is an option to get the confessions listed on the map so they are easier to find.

Nintyb

Banned
Tried the demo and deleted it within five minutes. Just couldn't get into the rhyming crap.

Gorgeous art style and music, though.

rybrad

There are some potions and stardust items, but I guess you wouldn't be interested in those. The only other thing I remember seeing is an option to get the confessions listed on the map so they are easier to find.
Yea the confession tracking one is what stood out to me. Are they annoyingly difficult to track down in general?

Seda

Yea the confession tracking one is what stood out to me. Are they annoyingly difficult to track down in general?

I found them all within the normal course of the game. I never had to really 'search' for one.

The final few confessions are .. interesting.
and they don't rhyme

Calcium

Banned

I wouldn't say so. Chances are you'll stumble on the majority of them while playing, but there are a few that require you to fly up high in places you wouldn't normally. Even with the tracker it isn't all that easier, it only tells you how many are in an area and how many you've obtained.

Top Bottom