• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

jet1911

Would someone be interested to buy my PC version key that I got from GMG? Bought the game (PS$) while trying to download the demo yesterday so... It activates on UPlay. Only 10$!

rybrad

I found them all within the normal course of the game. I never had to really 'search' for one.

The final few confessions are .. interesting.
and they don't rhyme
Good enough for me, looks like I will save my hard earned Uplay points. Thanks for the info.

Levito

Banned
So does the PC version actually require uplay to be running? Someone tried to tell me uplay is required just for activation.

so how does it look on ps2 and xbox 360? i debating to buy it on my 360 or PC. I do like to play these types of games on my tv on a couch with a controller but PC will look way better. how does it playing with a mouse/keyboard?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How is the rhyming annoying at all, when the characters aren't even reading the lines vocally? I'll take rhyme anyday over the bowels of garbage so many game characters say now-a-days. And Rubella even pokes fun at the Rhyme game with everything she says. I don't find it any worse than listening to The Grinch, or anything of that sort.

Started on hard as recommended, and have been enjoying the battles in offline co-op. We have some good moments of enemies ZOOMING up the cast section faster than expected, and deciding when to slow, or when to attack, is a nice extra layer of strat. Also very nice to be able to give elements to your attacks. It really adds something to the flow of battle, when you know you can turn a 3~4 hit thread into a 2 hit kill that never gets a turn, due to exploiting weaknesses.

I still feel a bit odd with Aurora being clearly much more 3D than basically anyone else in the game; the animation is generally up to snuff on the pure 2D guys, but it's a bit weird to see her extra TLC not applied to any other character.

It's properly reminding me of the days of Squeenix PS1 hand-drawn fairytale-ish games, and giving me most of the fond memories I have of Grandia II's battle system, if a bit simplified. It's great to have something like this out and available on the newer consoles.

Pilaf

Neo Member
so how does it look on ps2 and xbox 360? i debating to buy it on my 360 or PC. I do like to play these types of games on my tv on a couch with a controller but PC will look way better. how does it playing with a mouse/keyboard?

PS3 is pretty good. You can't play with Aurora's hair when you are controlling Igniculus but other than that.... Why you don't use your X360 controller on your PC? Best of both world!

Really look forward to more games using the UBi art engine. I hope COL convinces big publishers that all their games don't need to be AAA budgets, and paying $15-$30 for a B-tier budget game can be quality and enjoyable by many.

wouwie

Actually there is. This is a trial so you download the full game but you need to pay to unlock the full content.

I didn't find any way to download the game without paying. Did you manage to download this as trial on the EU website? I bought the game in the end (15 euro is not the end of the world, even if i end up not liking it) but it would be interesting to know for others.

PS2 is A-OK

Anyway since this is the UBI art engine this game should look good on every platform. You should just use a 360 controller on PC if you want.

peakish

I've had fun with the game so far, up to chapter five now, but for whatever reason it hasn't really gripped me yet. I really like some aspects of the battle system, such as Defend being a well implemented tool, manipulating enemies with your cursor on the other hand is a drag.

I'm not sure if it's the pacing or something that's throwing me off, I think it's proceeding much too rapidly for me. There's barely any time to (or this far in a need of to) think of strategies for the current area until they are over and something new is thrown in your way. Finding health and mana in those flowers is totally neat but so common that it loses it's appeal for me. I'd like some more breathing room to appreciate the lovely art and music.

BluWacky

How is the rhyming annoying at all, when the characters aren't even reading the lines vocally? I'll take rhyme anyday over the bowels of garbage so many game characters say now-a-days. And Rubella even pokes fun at the Rhyme game with everything she says. I don't find it any worse than listening to The Grinch, or anything of that sort.

The reason the rhyming is so dreadful is because rhyming only works in poetry with a metre, and this isn't the case here; the rhyming schemata is all over the place and because each line is of a completely different length, it just looks forced and strange rather than poetic. It's difficult to read the dialogue because the metre's off.

Take Shakespeare:

Will Shakespeare said:
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May
And winter's lease hath all too short a date

The rhythm of the lines is the same and the rhyme falls at the same point in each line.

To this, from the game:

dialogue from Child of Light said:
The altar perched high.
The lady said we had to pass it by.

What it SHOULD be is something like:

me said:
I see the altar, perched on high
The one she said we must pass by.

The metre matches, the rhyme matches, etc. Poetry is far more about rhythm than rhyming - hence the haiku with its 5-7-5 syllabic structure, or ancient Latin/Greek poetry with no rhymes whatsoever.

You can't claim this stuff is free verse because it really, really isn't. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it definitely bothers me!

Seda

Yep, the meter is all over the place. I eventually started zoning out during dialogue exchanges anyway.

The reason the rhyming is so dreadful is because rhyming only works in poetry with a metre, and this isn't the case here; the rhyming schemata is all over the place and because each line is of a completely different length, it just looks forced and strange rather than poetic. It's difficult to read the dialogue because the metre's off.

Yeah the rhyming is probably my biggest issue with the game, even though it's not that substantial of an issue. It just stands out and like you said, it never sounds right.

ohlawd

I skim through the dialogue now. The mission goal is on the main menu anyway so I haven't been lost.

The confessions? I'm sorry to the writers but no no no.

Number45

Probably going to regret this*, but I've picked it up anyway. So pretty.

* only because it'll probably be in a sale before I actually play it.

Gambit

The rhyming is a tad annoying, but I am trying to tune it out.

Apart from that, I am loving it. It's beautiful, the fights are engaging, the fairy adds an additional tactical layer and the music is lovely.

One thing I am missing from this and many other games are language options. I am playing in English, after setting the system to English, but I'd like to check German etc.

daydream

Banned
Loving the soundtrack. Coeur de pirate did a great job.

Also, my eyes are always drifting towards the Gamepad. Have to force myself to look at that TV to really appreciate the backgrounds and everything. If only the touch controls weren't so convenient.

Gambit

Loving the soundtrack. Coeur de pirate did a great job.

Also, my eyes are always drifting towards the Gamepad. Have to force myself to look at that TV to really appreciate the backgrounds and everything. If only the touch controls weren't so convenient.

haha, I thought I was the only one. The controls are so smooth that my eyes fly towards the pad

legbone

Having played it for an hour, so far so good, love the art style and music. But one thing bothers me though, do anyone think the switch time to battle is a little bit too long? I'm playing Wii U version.

in options there is a toggle for intros to battle. this may help you out, not sure. intros are on by default and i left it that way. not sure what it does if you toggle it to off (actually i think the setting may be "skip battle intro" so the default would be off but either way this option might be of some help to you).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do you need to use the slow down mechanic with the blue thing? It's quite annoying during combat.

If you're playing on Hard, you will need it.
It's a great mechanic though. It plays in really well strategically, because you can use it on/off to help time the stronger enemy for a stun lock. Use the firefly on/off to get the baddie in the Cast section the same time as one of your guys, and use a quick attack to beat the baddie to the end of the bar... this will cause the baddie to be Interrupted, kicking them down the queue bar.

Keep slowing them down after, and if your party is quick enough, you can quickly get in multiple attacks and the boss will never get a chance to attack back. It's actually alot of fun.

I prefer it on Wii U, simply because the firefly jets around the screen faster when you tap the enemy.

aro52

Maybe this has been answered,
but what's the deal with the PS4 version not playing audio during streams?
Xbone and PC streams seem fine.

Lotto

Nice OT! This game looks great, didn't know coeur de pirate did the soundtrack either, neat. Will definitely check this out later.

Colbert

Banned
There are only two words that describes the game:

BEAUTIFUL and FANTASTIC!

This I can say after 4 hours of playing it!

I've been taking it a bit slow with this (only just started chapter 3) because I'm enjoying exploring with my new
flying
ability. The music is so great, I'd like to pick up the soundtrack once I'm finished. Still completely charmed by the visuals and fairy tale world.

Kadayi

Banned
Pretty charming so far and just lovely visually. Game play so far isn't exceptional, but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing for the most part and the way it works.

fred

Bought it and gave it a quick go just to see what it's like and it's beautiful. Just played until I beat my first enemy, will carry on with it tomorrow. It's not only beautiful but quite charming with it due to the speech rhyming. Very impressed so far!

You were the judge GAF! WHAT JOY IT BRINGS!

capture9seff.png

Top Bottom