• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

H1PSTER

Decided to blindly pick this up; from the trailer it didn't seem like it would be for me but from what OP has written It seems great.

colinp

Banned
The reason the rhyming is so dreadful is because rhyming only works in poetry with a metre, and this isn't the case here; the rhyming schemata is all over the place and because each line is of a completely different length, it just looks forced and strange rather than poetic. It's difficult to read the dialogue because the metre's off.

Take Shakespeare:

The rhythm of the lines is the same and the rhyme falls at the same point in each line.

To this, from the game:

What it SHOULD be is something like:

The metre matches, the rhyme matches, etc. Poetry is far more about rhythm than rhyming - hence the haiku with its 5-7-5 syllabic structure, or ancient Latin/Greek poetry with no rhymes whatsoever.

You can't claim this stuff is free verse because it really, really isn't. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it definitely bothers me!

Haha, totally would bother me, too. Disappointing, was looking forward to this. Can't believe how stilted that writing is. What is even the point of having it rhyme? Crazy.

Orteip490

Wow! Such an amazing game!
I've only played 1 hour and a half, but I've already fallen in love with everything.
Best part for me is platforming. And music. And art.

Ubi Art <3

Been playing it most of the afternoon and evening. It's very good. Beautiful art and music. The battle system is easy to pick up but the timing bar is cool and adds some strategy along with the firefly thing. Levelling is simple but works fine. Definitely worth the price. The length seems very decent.

My only complaint is the crafting. I wish I had a list of the occuli. Combos I discovered. I have a horrible memory and didn't bother to write any notes.

ckohler

Maybe this has been answered,
but what's the deal with the PS4 version not playing audio during streams?
Xbone and PC streams seem fine.
I've submitted a support ticket to Ubisoft about this.

I saw some Ubisoft guys related to the game streaming it and I told them in the chat and they seemed surprised there was no sound. So it may just be a glitch they are unaware of.

Developers can deliberately prevent the audio from being streamed on PS4, however.

Anyone else having Aurora's hair bug out in battle? It becomes really short sometimes and it happens somewhat frequently (like every other fight).

Liking the game though. The music is really great.

Andrew.

Banned
I hope Child of Light 2 includes TressFX for Aurora's hair.

This is a beautiful game. Some of the most elegant game music I've heard in a hell of a long time. Battles are super fun and deliciously old school. I love that everyone shares the same ATB gauge which gives it this race-like feel as to who's gonna attack next. Strategizing the slow down is gonna be fun as hell later on I can tell already. First thing I'm going for on the tree is Defense 2 for that added gauge speed boost. Also, it was surprisingly easy to get used to controlling your little Dragon Warrior light slime buddy with the past experience of Dragons Crown.

So good.

Watching a random Xbox One user stream the game... looks alright. But not sure if it's worth the $15.

This game reminds me Dust: An Elysian Tail in terms of art style... and I like the movement of the game, but I'm really not a fan of turn based games...

The only Turn Based games I like are Paper Mario and Pokemon, how likely am I to enjoy Child of Light?

Anyone having trophy issues on Playstation platforms? I just happened to be playing offline, and the trophy for
Robert joining
never popped. Up to now, it's been fine.

Calcium

Banned
Anyone having trophy issues on Playstation platforms? I just happened to be playing offline, and the trophy for
Robert joining
never popped. Up to now, it's been fine.

You'll have to complete his quest for it to unlock. I've completed the game 100% and didn't have any issues with trophies unlocking.

Calcium

Banned
Oooooh, okay. That seems odd, as I got all the other party member trophies up to this point as soon as they joined. Thanks.

I think 3 of the party members do something similar. You'll get them in your party, but the trophies won't pop until you have completed their quest.

How long is this?

image.php

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The reason the rhyming is so dreadful is because rhyming only works in poetry with a metre, and this isn't the case here; the rhyming schemata is all over the place and because each line is of a completely different length, it just looks forced and strange rather than poetic. It's difficult to read the dialogue because the metre's off.

*solid example stuff*

You can't claim this stuff is free verse because it really, really isn't. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it definitely bothers me!

*nod* I can see your point, I just can't find it anyway near as annoying. When it works, I just think "Ok, cool!" When it's a bit off, It's doesn't really toss me off the character, or make me think less of them, like many other writing quirks would.

Maybe that makes it a bit of a botched translation, though? I notice that Ubi Montreal's dev videos show many people of different dialects and languages speaking. Maybe it sounds much better in the original writers tongue, and loses something in translation?

For what it's worth, I also think a simpler structure and rhythm would have stood out more. It quite too often takes you out of a nice flow and makes one wonder "wait, did that really work?" There's not much reason for each character to speak individually; having a main storyteller that read the lines with their own pace, voice imitations, and imbedded scheme (much like the Grinch) would probably have worked better.

Interrupt system is starting to annoy me a bit.

Like I get that if I get attacked while casting I get interrupted. Fine.

The problem is I use defend to prevent against that but I get interrupted anyway. I'm confused what the point of defending is if it doesn't prevent interruptions like it says it does.

Maybe I've just completely missed something along the way.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm missing one shrine for the elemental quest. I'm a 100% certain that I have both at the Sea and the Plains and the Monetary. Meaning it has to be this one I'm missing:
Mahthildis Forest: One near the sign in the Tree of Thorns in Mahthildis Forest.
Where is it? D:

madhtr

The problem is I use defend to prevent against that but I get interrupted anyway. I'm confused what the point of defending is if it doesn't prevent interruptions like it says it does.

It only protects in that you can't be interrupted during the defend, but if you take another turn, that defend is no longer the active action. It still protects against damage that turn, but won't stop interruptions. There are spells and items that protect against that, though.

I'm missing one shrine for the elemental quest. I'm a 100% certain that I have both at the Sea and the Plains and the Monetary. Meaning it has to be this one I'm missing:
Where is it? D:

Yeah, I'm having the same problem here.... searched all of the village and the tree of thorns. :/

Zukuu

Banned

When you defend you're set back (not interuppted) and have greatly increased speed for the next turn while also having increased defense. If your opponent is before you and will interrupt you, you defend, get less damage and be faster than any other opponent on your turn so you won't get interrupted with the next attack.

But yeah, I hate the interrupt system too. I would be fine for casts, but not for normal attacks and defensive skills.

My only complaint is the crafting. I wish I had a list of the occuli. Combos I discovered. I have a horrible memory and didn't bother to write any notes.

Here are all the combos I know of:

9 Colors - 3 base, 3 advanced, white, black, and ultimate.

Combining all 3 base colors gets you white.
Combining 2 of the base colors gets you an advanced color. If you combine these 3 advanced colors, you get black.
If you combine white & black, you get the ultimate color (as far as I know).

Zukuu

Banned
Where is it? D:

That makes it an fucking hour where I search for this stupid shit. >_>

ANYONE?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How long is the game supposed to be (taking YMMV into account)?

Wow! Such an amazing game!
I've only played 1 hour and a half, but I've already fallen in love with everything.
Best part for me is platforming. And music. And art.

Ubi Art <3

My thoughts exactly. The art is so good and the music is even better. Don't get me started with the skill tree and battle system BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD TOO! lol I cant believe people are hating on the rhyming. I frigging love it. Everything about this game I love! My only complaint is Uplay but oh well thats life.

LOL!

Does co-op work well on Wii U? I was gonna get it assuming it would have pointer controls etc for the second person playing the light guy but by the sounds of it you just play with sideways Wiimote still? :\

Can the co-op person play with the Wii U gamepad instead?

Diagol

I'm REALLY enjoying this game! The art is beautiful, the game is fun, and I LOVE the music.

Fun fact: the person who composed the music for this game is 24 from Montreal! I had no idea who she was before this game. You can see her Wikipedia page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C&#339;ur_de_pirate

I just downloaded the soundtrack off iTunes. I can't get enough of it. Love Aurora's Theme and Pilgrims on a Long Journey.

Top Bottom