• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

OFFS1DE

Neo Member
I'm missing one shrine for the elemental quest. I'm a 100% certain that I have both at the Sea and the Plains and the Monetary. Meaning it has to be this one I'm missing:
Where is it? D:

In the Forest:
- There's one on the roof top of the monastery
- One between the tree of thorns and the Capilli Village

In the Plains:
One near the Capilli camping right before the feet of the giant
One in the floating rocks section

Flooded Lands:
- one on the way after the village (that one my memory is failing me)
- Underwater: One right after the mission giver

madhtr

In the Forest:
- There's one on the roof top of the monastery
- One between the tree of thorns and the Capilli Village

In the Plains:
One near the Capilli camping right before the feet of the giant
One in the floating rocks section

Flooded Lands:
- one on the way after the village (that one my memory is failing me)
- Underwater: One right after the mission giver

Ugh, thanks.... I never even thought to check the cliffs of Erin...

Ade

If you're one of the 0.1% of the population that uses Xbox Music then the OST is now up.

Listed as Child of Light - COEUR DE PIRATE.

Just merrily downloaded it to my phone to keep me sane at work.

Well, I finished the game. The really good music, nice art, and a fun battle system that has enough depth to keep it compelling for ~10 hours made it a really enjoyable experience. I didn't care much for the writing in this game, and found the rhyming to be poorly executed and rather boring. The game would have been better off with less text. That said, it does execute a few moments well, and the ending was pretty good.

On hard the game is challenging enough to make you to play strategically and use all the options the combat offers, and so i found the combat interesting, even if it was never difficult in the sense that I was ever afraid of having my party wiped. It's so easy to heal or switch party members that you would really need to play recklessly to die. If the game had been longer, it would have needed more complexity to it, but it worked well for short length of this game. Though the last boss was kind of a joke because I was able to manipulate the battle system to prevent it from getting more than a few chances to even attack me.

Anyone know what the level cap is? I finished at 50 and it still has an experience bar, so that's not it.

m@cross

Figuring whether to play this or pupeteer ..

Having played both now, they have some similarities, I really recommend both. If I was forced to pick one I guess I would go with Puppeteer simply because I think it is a little more charming and the story a bit more entertaining.

Just watched Boogie's Let's Play. Game looks amazing and it looks fun. The skill tree and crafting looks great too. I will be buying this as soon as I wrap up Dead Rising 3.

w00zey

How long is the game?

Last night I got someone added to my party. I am really enjoying it. I will be curious to see if it holds up for the whole game.

BiggNife

Anyone try out the Wii U version yet?

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it - I've had zero performance issues and off-TV play works great. My only complaint would be is that the text looks pretty tiny on the Wii U gamepad - this game was obviously made for 720p+ screens. It's still totally readable, though.

I'm enjoying this a lot so far, hope it keeps up the pace.

antitrop

Wow, I'm really enjoying this. Looks incredible on PS4. Battle system is fun, graphics and art are incredible, and the music is very atmospheric and effective.

Redshirt

Banned
I'm only level 12, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Definitely worth $14.99.

The writing isn't great, though, and the story is kind of derivative, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone know why this game has so many Uplay actions compared to other Ubisoft games?

How exactly do I pull off a Devastating attack?

I got my first devastates and obliterates using Ray of Light. I think I got some with melee once I put oculi in my weapon.

JCX

Weird that PS4 has a demo but Wii U doesn't. Ended up picking Wii U since the offscreen play is more reliable for me.

Beautiful game though. Reminds me of Lost Winds with the pointer.

mileS

I think the sound design overall to be quite amazing. I remember watching one of the making of videos on how hard they worked capturing the right sounding effects for just about every surface and how it sounds when you fly. You don't really expect that much work to be put into a $14 game. The music is incredible as well. Can't be said enough.

This game is really good. I'm playing it on hard, as Robert suggested, and combat demands some thinking. It's strategic, but not too complex, which is just perfect for me. The same can be said of the Oculi crafting, it's just perfect.

Love the music too. When combat start, the graphics and the music combined remind me of both Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy VII. When is the sequel coming?

So, suggestions on what gems to focus on creating? I'm thinking of making a few Diamonds as they seem overall good. How about the weapon slot gems that cause paralysis? Does it work as well as one would hope?

Got it on Wii U. Nice game. Touch pad is way better than the right stick, but MAN would it be nice if the game supported the Wii remote's pointer controls. Seriously, the blue fairy is soooo made for it. I wish Ubisoft Montreal would patch that in. Oh well.

I think I messed up... I advanced so far into the game to a point where I have regrets now

thanks to someone saying stop posting on Gaf and play the game

I wish I knew about the point of no return

I wanted to explore and collect everything, I was trying to craft some good stuff, I wanted to level up more, please tell me this game is not ending after
getting put in a cage, and then teaming up with the guard, freeing your party, there is a boss fight outside that area

I guess I should ask what level are you guys finishing this game at?

It is RPGish so I was leveling up like any RPG thinking I'll hit 90s and the game would end

daydream

Banned
^Not sure if that's what you're asking, but (spoilers on the end of ch.7(?) and how the game handles ng+)
the game does not end after that fight, you have all the time you need between that and the end. Even after beating the final boss, you can return to collect and craft and level up as you please (or start NG+ which I haven't tried, personally).

I finished the game at lvl.
with pretty much all my characters.

Andrew.

Banned
I got my first devastates and obliterates using Ray of Light. I think I got some with melee once I put oculi in my weapon.

Yeah that's how I got mine. It's only happened a couple times and then the Jester buddy pulled one off as well. Not sure if it has to do with using a magic attack to finish off a foe with low HP or what.

It'd be cool if there were enemy health bars, but I understand that CoL enjoys kickin it old school. S'all good.

Grisby

Digging the hell out of this game. Think I'm on chapter 4 or 5 (the plains). Really wasn't expecting (party member spoilers)
the girls sister to show up. Crazy hair for everyone!

^Not sure if that's what you're asking, but (spoilers on the end of ch.7(?) and how the game handles ng+)
the game does not end after that fight, you have all the time you need between that and the end. Even after beating the final boss, you can return to collect and craft and level up as you please (or start NG+ which I haven't tried, personally).

I finished the game at lvl.
with pretty much all my characters.

THANKS! yeah this is very helpful, still regretting going into this chapter I am on level 32 and really regret coming here

is that stupid door
a lost woods puzzle? (the basement with the totem pole and teepee door is this just a grinding spot?

the text on my TV is too light and the text on my gamepad is too tiny I should be reading more of this dialog but my vision sucks

daydream

Banned
THANKS! yeah this is very helpful, still regretting going into this chapter I am on level 32 and really regret coming here

is that stupid door
a lost woods puzzle? (the basement with the totem pole and teepee door is this just a grinding spot?

the text on my TV is too light and the text on my gamepad is too tiny I should be reading more of this dialog but my vision sucks

I think you're talking about
the labyrinth? If so, then yes, gotta find the route that doesn't set you back (lost woods puzzle, as you call it).

At least I think you're talking about the labyrinth. It's the only way to progress, anyway.
Not my favourite part, but it's also not that long, thankfully.

bidguy

Banned
started on hard, no problems until
triple snakes. how do i deal with them ? seems like they have unlimited health.

started on hard, no problems until
triple snakes. how do i deal with them ? seems like they have unlimited health.

Yeah they have a ton of health. I had to drop down to normal to beat them and it was still a little rough. Using elemental weaknesses like fire and water helps a lot.

I think you're talking about
the labyrinth? If so, then yes, gotta find the route that doesn't set you back (lost woods puzzle, as you call it).

At least I think you're talking about the labyrinth. It's the only way to progress, anyway.
Not my favourite part, but it's also not that long, thankfully.

less of a maze and just have to find the right door that does not start you over? is that it? I know there is a boss outside the door if you leave the door the guard with the mask leaves your party if you walk left you find a girl with black hair the a boss fight is there I quit the game without finishing the fight is was 4am I was sleepy

I guess I should go fight this boss before solving the puzzle but I am not sure if I can come back later

edit: wow love this game :D boss fight was rewarding

antitrop

Second boss down on Hard, absolutely having a blast with this game. Ubisoft just nailing it out of the park for $15, keep bringing it.

Andrew.

Banned
Which one was the second boss? I've beaten several so far. The
Hydra
was my favorite at this point.

I thought it was the giant
ogre like dude with the big hammer
before you venture into the thorny forest.

Up to Chapter 4.

Does the art style at some points remind anyone else of the work of Quentin Blake? (Roald Dahls illustrator)

bryehn

Can I play this one-handed?

Any fast action or platforming involving d-pad is a no-go for me for a couple months (broken wrist)

I need to know what chapter this ends having too much fun gonna miss playing this not sure why I am not playing more rpgs

Can I play this one-handed?

Any fast action or platforming involving d-pad is a no-go for me for a couple months (broken wrist)

I think you can one hand this

Silvawuff

This is a gorgeous game -- there's literally nothing I haven't loved about it so far. The battle is engaging, the environments, sounds, music, and so on are superb. Yes, I would say the rhyming shtick probably doesn't work that well, but the overall sum of the game works as a beautiful whole.

PaulloDEC

Played about an hour of this last night on PS4. Very beautiful and handles like a dream.

As for the combat, I really like it but I feel like I'm going to get stomped an awful lot. I spent a while fighting the
Ogre (on my way to the thorns)
last night and ended up getting wiped out after a pretty long battle.

Trying to keep an eye on which enemy is moving the fastest/getting the closest/poses the biggest threat while at the same time keeping an eye on my own team and simultaneously managing which enemy I'm slowing with my little glowing buddy ties my brain in knots.

Would be grateful for any tips people have for staying on top of it all.

A little over an hour in and really enjoying the game so far. Digging the combat system and fluid controls make exploration a joy. Don't mind the rhyming dialogue, although my opinion may change as I play some more.

cripterion

This game is gorgeous, want my daughter to play this when she's of age.
The rhyming is pretty well executed on the French version, sounds kinda natural.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm loving the game, extremely beautiful and the combat is fun on Hard. I also do not mind the rhyming, maybe it could be more eloquent but it's still great. Still making my way through slowly haha.

Top Bottom