• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Effect

The difficulty is weird. Normal seems a bit to easy while hard has enemies hit way to hard for your level and health. Especially for the bosses. For the first I had to turn it down to Normal. One the second one now and I think I might have to do it again. I simply don't have enough health. I don't think the game needs to be grind. Does it? If so do you do so in the beginning of the game or wait until there is a town like area to get new supplies?

Zukuu

Banned
Finished it earlier and it was well worth the purchase. I liked the aesthetic, hated the interrupt mechanism, but I fucking loved the music. Could have been an hour or two shorter with less grinding imo to make it have a perfect pacing.

Yuterald

First impressions after playing for a few hours:

I'm sort of conflicted on this game. I wasn't mega hyped for it, but I liked the looks/sounds of it enough to buy it day one. I'm up to Chapter 3/4, playing on Hard and it's definitely not a game I can play for very long. Something about it makes me really sleepy, hah! I gotta echo the sentiments of those who are saying that the rhyming is annoying/poorly done. It just feels a bit soulless, I don't know, it's hard to describe, everything just reads flat and boring to me. Maybe it's because the lines are color-coded/delivered in a way that makes me a bit nauseated when trying to read it. I just don't feel like following the dialogue between the characters, hah!

Game looks gorgeous though, I'll give it that. Music is alright, maybe a bit too dreamy at times (probably why I feel like I need to take a nap after playing this). Combat on Hard is definitely engaging at times, but...I don't know, it's just not all that very exciting. The skill trees are needlessly big/obtrusive. It's really just three linear paths with three different main skills per character and some passive stat bonuses in-between the major "upgrades". The crafting system is a nice addition, but it's like a my-first-game crafting script; the kind of stuff you can find in people's RPG Maker projects. Also, as someone else has said, I too wish there was some sort of master list/recipe book that kept track of combinations as you discovered them.

The Grandia comparisons are a bit hit or miss for me. True, they do share some resemblance, but it's more than just the fact that you can cancel enemies attacks that makes Grandia's battle system what it is. In Grandia, I recall having to use a Critical command to interrupt an enemy's turn during their "casting" phase. In this game, any attack used during this command phase can interrupt a foe's action. Also, in Grandia III; for example, you could then juggle the enemy in the air and perform multiple attacks on a single enemy. That game had really nice flashy font and cool looking screen effects to give you that satisfying crunch/feel when canceling an enemy's attack. Here, it's just a simple "Interrupted" phrase in the dullest font-color/size. It's the finer details that are really important when it comes to stuff like this.

I'll keep plugging away at it because I'm digging some things about it, but I gotta say it's been a bit underwhelming so far.

Silvawuff

The difficulty is weird. Normal seems a bit to easy while hard has enemies hit way to hard for your level and health. Especially for the bosses. For the first I had to turn it down to Normal. One the second one now and I think I might have to do it again. I simply don't have enough health. I don't think the game needs to be grind. Does it? If so do you do so in the beginning of the game or wait until there is a town like area to get new supplies?

Are you using Igniculus to slow down your opponents? Ideally you'll plan to stun lock when you can, and Defend when you can't.

vpance

No need to grind, I'm not sure you even can since they stay gone after you kill them. I do fight like 90% of the enemies I encounter though. For that first boss it is a little tricky and you have to use potions to stay alive but main strategy that applies for every battle is to try and attack when you can interrupt them, defend if you're gonna get interrupted, and slow down enemies with the firefly to get as many interrupts you can.

Just finished the game, Didn't open every chest or collect every piece of stardust but did everything aside from that. Final playtime was a little over 12 hours which is just insane value for the $15 price tag, especially since there's a New Game+ mode as well.

Definitely one of the best games I've played in a while and I'd recommend it to anyone who even remotely enjoys RPGs and/or turn based combat.

Any of the DLC worth snagging?

I would say the Golem's Plight DLC is worth it. $3 for an extra quest and party member. Definitely doesn't feel tacked on at all either.

antitrop

Hey GAF, should I buy this? Just finished my backlog.
I think this one is a pretty easy recommendation. I've played a bit today, up to Level 15/Chapter 5, but I got stuck a little.

This isn't a GOTY candidate, or anything, but it's one of those nice little snacks that keeps you busy until something a bit meatier comes along.

Riki

So, I bought this after all the glowing reviews, but I can't get it to download on my WiiU! It's stuck at like 80%.
Such a bummer.

antitrop

Thanks guys, bought it. I trust antitrop and GAF. :)

Think I should do Hard mode? Heard some mixed things about the difficulty.

Start the game on Hard. I did and I didn't even die once until about Level 13.

There are definitely some fights where it's just "Get a Preemptive Attack or lose the fight", though. Those are silly.

Grisby

Thanks guys, bought it. I trust antitrop and GAF. :)

Think I should do Hard mode? Heard some mixed things about the difficulty.
Yeah, I don't regret it on hard. It seems like there is always something else you can do, tactics wise, if you get stuck. Plus, they give you a lot of healing opportunities.
I am playing on hard and am stuck just after chapter 6. The enemy
with four legs and the bow
what is its weakness?
Fire works and remember that the Jester can hit like a m'fer. Or use Finn for some strong magic.

Vire

Start the game on Hard. I did and I didn't even die once until about Level 13.

There are definitely some fights where it's just "Get a Preemptive Attack or lose the fight", though. Those are silly.

Yeah, I don't regret it on hard. It seems like there is always something else you can do, tactics wise, if you get stuck. Plus, they give you a lot of healing opportunities.

Fire works and remember that the Jester can hit like a m'fer. Or use Finn for some strong magic.

Ok sounds good, I'm not entirely adverse to hard difficulty, just was a tiny concerned because I know hard modes in JRPG's often amount to endless grinding... But that doesn't sound like it's the case here.

Off to go to start an adventure!

ohlawd

So, I bought this after all the glowing reviews, but I can't get it to download on my WiiU! It's stuck at like 80%.
Such a bummer.

Maybe try again in a bit
Your internet might be shit
at the moment so nope
don't lose hope

Grimløck;110307964 said:
no. the base gems, ruby, sapphire, and emerald can only be collected as far as i know.

yeah I think so too
maybe some hardworking foo
can compile a jewel's drop rate
but not now, some other date

HORRORSHØW

Maybe try again in a bit
Your internet might be shit
at the moment so nope
don't lose hope

yeah I think so too
maybe some hardworking foo
can compile a jewel's drop rate
but not now, some other date

oh god, the game's rhymes
has claimed another victim this time
you should seek assistance
to remedy your rhyming persistence.

tlstls

Banned
I'm so mad right now.. just got an error and the save corrupted, fucking hate autosave...

jKo6bmBPzjy70.jpg

Reveirg

I'm so mad right now.. just got an error and the save corrupted, fucking hate autosave...

The game definitely is buggy on PS4. Twice now the game has slowed to a sloppy 5 fps with the audio skipping constantly. I had to reboot my ps4 both times.

Seda

Just wanted to post some final thoughts on the game real quick.

As an experimental downloadable title that I had little expectation for, I was very pleased with Child of Light. Well, initially I was kind of bored out of my mind until I upped the difficulty around chapter 4 or 5. At that point I felt that the level of challenge was very appropriate - nothing ankle-twisting but enough to force the player to utilize the full character set and Oculi to a somewhat competent degree. Random battles could sometimes cause some headaches, especially in new areas before you figure the best ways to tackle certain foes. Nothing is over-complex, and basic strategy comes down to knowing when to attack, defend, or heal depending on order of icons on the timeline, with some speed manipulation when needed. Boss encounters never felt too cheap, but not trouble-free either.
I did, however, feel that too many boss fights shared the 'main baddie + two helpers' structure, and I'd like there to be a little more variety there.
The game gives you lots of ways to heal yourself too. Level ups did come by a tad too often, fully healing characters - I think spacing these out a little better would have improved that issue substantially.

The subsystems in places aren't overly complex either, which again I feel is quite appropriate for this title. The skill system does allow a little customization of characters based on which skills you want to strengthen, even if the majority of the skill points go to stats. The Oculi system makes sense after a minute of messing around with it, and you get plenty of gems all the time to never restrict yourself from making more and improving the equipment you have. There aren't too many sidequests: a trading quest, a searching quest or two, clear out these enemies.... - nothing fancy but fits within the scope of the game like the other subsystems.

The game looks and sounds great, and I don't need to say more about that. The poetry/characters/Story ultimately lost my interest and I eventually started skipping through dialogue, but I wouldn't say it detracted from my enjoyment of the game. I just shrugged it off.

I don't think I could really ask for too much more for this game. It was a nice experience over the few day span I had with it.

I'm annoyed because you can't change the language on the X1 version. I can't have my spanish configuration and play the game on english.

Thanks I got past it and now at chapter 8, I think what happen is that it was the first time encountering a difficulty spike so I got confused. I messed up though I the enemy had three legs instead of four. I did get the other jester but neither jester could do more then 10 damage to them instead I leveled up Finn's fire magic and that work.

Ok sounds good, I'm not entirely adverse to hard difficulty, just was a tiny concerned because I know hard modes in JRPG's often amount to endless grinding... But that doesn't sound like it's the case here.

Off to go to start an adventure!
You don't need to grind on hard, and even late game you level up every 2 or 3 battles anyway. When you have a full set of companions you get multiple level ups after every single battle.

tookhster

Why does it seem like every epic song in this game was left out of the soundtrack?

Like this song. (*mid game boss spoilers*) I actually bought the soundtrack and I'm disappointed that like, half of the songs from the game are missing.

daydream

Banned
Grimløck;110310475 said:
oh god, the game's rhymes
has claimed another victim this time
you should seek assistance
to remedy your rhyming persistence.

We missed a chance this time
and should have surely required
- whether people would've got tired -
to end every post with a rhyme.

It would have led
of that I am certain
to a way better threa-
*gets crushed by curtain*

Nemesis_

Trying to unlock the Winged Fury achievement - for devastating the enemy five times.

Easily done it more than five times but it hasn't unlocked......anyone experienced this?

Top Bottom