• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Number45

I was actually surprised how well Igniculus controlled with the DS4 touch pad. I still haven't figured out if I like using that method better than the right stick, though.
I find for general movement I prefer the right stick (because I'll be moving) but for the puzzle elements the extra control you get from the touchpad helps.

I was actually surprised how well Igniculus controlled with the DS4 touch pad. I still haven't figured out if I like using that method better than the right stick, though.

I definitely like the DS4 touchpad better than the stick for the following reasons:

1. He's like infinitely faster.

2. Clicking the pad in toggles his glow without having to hold anything. Absolutely necessary for me since my fingers get stupid and confused when I try to select commands in combat while at the same time holding L2 to keep Igniculus glowing on an enemy.

I really don't know why Ubisoft didn't implement right stick sensitivity to change Igniculus's speed. I do like how on the vita, he'll just instantly go to wherever I poke on the screen, but I'd rather play on my tv than my vita unless I'm not at home.

-------

Remote play is fucking awesome spiel begins here:

I KNEW that I would love remote play on ps4 once we started getting turn based games, and it has surpassed my expectations. Yeah, yeah, 30 fps limit at 720p, whatever. It's convenient, fun, and pretty much flawless for turn based titles. I'm not delusional enough to think that remote play is perfect for, say, shooters or action games in the vein of Bayonetta, but for someone whose game library is brimming with rpgs, it's godlike.

Begaria

Child of Light patch will change difficulty to 'casual,' 'expert'
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/01/child-of-light-patch-will-change-difficulty-to-casual-expert/

article said:
..Child of Light patch will change difficulty to 'casual,' 'expert' by Jessica Conditt @JessConditt (15 hours ago)
Share: 130 . 31

The difficulty modes in Child of Light will change from "normal" and "hard" to "casual" and "expert" in a coming patch, Writer Jeffrey Yohalem told Joystiq during a livestream.

"In a patch that's coming up, we're changing the names to 'casual' and 'expert,'" Yohalem said. "This has been an issue, obviously, that some people have had, and I think that the word 'normal' is a misrepresentation .... Or, rather, implying that there's one way to play that's normal is, I think, too strong."Child of Light (4/28/14)
Yohalem described the new modes as follows: "Casual is for people that want to experience the world and experience the adventure without having hard combat, and then expert is for people who love RPGs and who want to really have a challenge."

For now, Yohalem suggested that people familiar with role-playing games should play Child of Light on the "hard" difficulty.

So. I wonder how those reviewers who played on normal *coughgiescough* feel about that one?

w00zey

Has anyone gotten all 3 pieces for the golem quest? I have 2 of them and swear I have checked everywhere. I don't' know if it is in the chapter 4 part or if i should keep looking around where i am. Any help would be great!

Has anyone gotten all 3 pieces for the golem quest? I have 2 of them and swear I have checked everywhere. I don't' know if it is in the chapter 4 part or if i should keep looking around where i am. Any help would be great!

All the pieces are in the same general area. I got them all within a few minutes of finding the first piece.

daydream

Banned

Seda

You can certainly exploit the system by swapping someone in quickly, but at the same time, it's more of a "do I want to stay on the offense while I'm at an advantage even if I get hit and need to revive someone it's still faster if I don't swap someone in, or do I want to play defensively or swap someone in to paralyse the enemy and prolong the battle a little more without being risky" kind of decision. While that might be good for some people, I just don't... like long battles of either attrition or just going to find an exploit to buy time while risking an interrupt.

I think you hit the pitch here a significant reason as to why we disagree on this, Schala. I never thought that battles dragged and I found myself switching characters extremely frequently. I'd often have a character swapped in, perform a single action or two - maybe a buff on the other character, maybe just to interrupt the enemy or deal damage, and swap them out again when I needed another ability. My characters ended up with very specific roles, and I felt that swapping was an immediate enough action that it was never an issue of taking much extra time, even if it meant delaying an attack action for a turn.

I am glad you decided to post your thoughts, with specifics on the things you took issue with. I always like reading your commentary even if I don't share your stance.

How is "normal" anything but a description for the average level of challenge? If they want to avoid commentary on playstyle (re: "implying that there's one way to play that's normal is, I think, too strong"), why go with Casual and Expert, of all things? Makes zero sense.

Well, I was talking to a Ubisoft PR person before release, and they said that Normal was always meant for non-RPG players or more casual fans, where Hard was for experienced players. Seems like they feel that they don't want a particular difficulty level to be seen as a standard for everybody. *shrug*

Do all the talents on the talent grid get used by the end or is there actually a way to make a unique character?

They don't get close to all being filled by level 50, which is what I finished the game at. The talents near the end of the trees require 2 points each to unlock. I don't know how high the level cap goes, so I'm not sure what you can end up with all maxed out.

Pandacon

Child of Light patch will change difficulty to 'casual,' 'expert'
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/05/01/child-of-light-patch-will-change-difficulty-to-casual-expert/

So. I wonder how those reviewers who played on normal *coughgiescough* feel about that one?

The problem with the word "hard" and "expert" usually mean "frustrating cheating AI" to me. Though I'll probably just play their "expert" mode since it sounds like its more balance how I expect "normal" modes to be.

I usually don't play hard or expert modes, but after playing expert on Second Son, maybe I should reconsider since it was relatively easy.

Phototropic

Neo Member
The problem with the word "hard" and "expert" usually mean "frustrating cheating AI" to me. Though I'll probably just play their "expert" mode since it sounds like its more balance how I expect "normal" modes to be.
I agree. They should probably go with Beginner and Normal to avoid confusion. Anyone interested in the RPG side of it should be on Hard IMO.

Duallusion

Great. Hour and a half down the drain. And if I didn't check this thread earlier and backed up my save to USB drive, I'd loose my whole god'am progress right at the final god'am boss! What the fuck, Ubi?!

Take heed, PS4 owners.

Just finished the game and 1000GS on Xbox One. Absolutely lovely and a joy to play.

By the way, I played the entire game on Normal and thought the combat was plenty challenging in all the expected places. I admittedly never had to use any potions, but that's true of nearly every turn-based RPG I've ever played.

Frillen

Just finished the game and 1000GS on Xbox One. Absolutely lovely and a joy to play.

By the way, I played the entire game on Normal and thought the combat was plenty challenging in all the expected places. I admittedly never had to use any potions, but that's true of nearly every turn-based RPG I've ever played.

Yeah, pretty easy to get all the trophies. I also played it on Normal mainly because I hate grinding.

So what characters did you guys use the most? I primarily used Finn and Golem and occasionally Robert. Then pretty much everyone during boss fights.

K' Dash

Just here to say that I've been playing this on Hards and almost got my ass handed a few times, enemies do a lot of damage to Aurora :/

I just beat the game and I only have one side quest left, but I don't know where to go. The side quest is called Cynbel's Secret.

Edit: Found it!

...How long did it take you guys?

And what's the opinion on gameplay? Seen some of you say it's average, so I'm teetering here.

Frillen

...How long did it take you guys?

And what's the opinion on gameplay? Seen some of you say it's average, so I'm teetering here.

It took me about 10 hours. Perfect length IMO. I did play on normal though, which was a tad bit easy, so you'll have to consider playing on hard if you want a good challenge. The good thing about playing on normal though is that you don't have to grind. There are also no sudden difficult spikes throughout the game. I always hate RPGs with sudden difficult spikes. You come to a new area and BAM every random encounter is a like a fucking boss fight. There is none of that in Child of Light.

Combat system is pretty good. My biggest gripe is the puzzles which are too small and too easy, but at least they're not frustrating.

The graphics and music are both outstanding.

Nasser

Guys quick question. I have only today (Friday) to play video games before I focus on finals :( ... So I was wondering how long is this game? is it possible for the game to be beaten by tonight?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, do people generally agree that this game is worth it?

Nemesis_

I am a little bit grumpy because this is the second Xbox One game from Ubisoft that I've played that's had glitched achievements.

- Winged Fury (Devastate five foes)
- Sunrise (Reclaim the Sun)
- Perfect Sonnet (Collect all Confessions)

None of these have unlocked after I've completed the game and easily fulfilled the requirements for all of them.

How would I go about "restarting" on Xbox One? As far as I understand, my save game isn't on my hard drive, right? It's in the cloud? Can I back it up, delete it, and then start again or is it pointless since the uPlay Actions unlocked but now the achievements? :(

I might be missing something but I wish all my oculi was visible in the crafting screen. Whenever I've collected a few new pieces, I have to either try to commit the pieces currently in use to memory or pull them off party members before I start crafting. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. I do like finding the gems and combining them though.

Aside from some clunky rhyming (which does more to hinder the dreamy fairy tale quality of the game than enhance it), that's really the only complaint I have so far.

Did you have to do anything special to get the achievement for gifting an Oculi? I've sent like 15 things to friends with no joy.

I had to remove a bunch of friends to get any of them to show up in the list when trying to send a gift. Apparently UPlay doesn't like it when your combined friend/follower list totals over 100 on Xbox One. Sounds like your issue is different, though. Once I was actually able to send a gift, the achievement unlocked on the first try.

So what characters did you guys use the most? I primarily used Finn and Golem and occasionally Robert. Then pretty much everyone during boss fights.

I nearly always used Aurora and Finn (for elemental magic against groups) or Rubella (for healing + decent physical damage). I never once used the mouse or the fish girl, as I had already fallen into a routine by that point and they sadly seemed unnecessary. The game honestly had an overabundance of companions for its length, but I suppose that's a good problem to have.

How would I go about "restarting" on Xbox One? As far as I understand, my save game isn't on my hard drive, right? It's in the cloud? Can I back it up, delete it, and then start again or is it pointless since the uPlay Actions unlocked but now the achievements? :(

You can use the menu button on the game tile, go into Manage Game, and then choose to delete it from both the HD and the cloud, but that is of course permanent. I'm not sure if the UPlay actions would interfere; I'd like to think the achievement code is completely separate.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ok, so I'm really pissed off. I finished the game and it crashed during the credits. When I rebooted it told me the file was corrupted and it couldn't load it in. The only other option I had was to delete it, so I did. I was really looking forward to playing new game+ but I'm not going through the whole fucking game again just so that I can. Hopefully it saved to PS+. If not, that's it for me.

What a pity too because it's brilliant.

ckohler

I must be a lazy casual. I heard the game was too easy so I decided to play on Hard (unusual for me). I'm only at Chapter 4 and I'm getting my butt kicked often. :/ I think I'm going to go down to Normal difficulty.

legbone

Is the game worth buying?

yeppers. i'm not even a rpg fan and i'm having a blast. the battle system is really cool. it is similar to grandia's system but that meant nothing to me as i have only barely heard of grandia. anyway, great game. if you are an experienced rpg gamer start on hard. i started on normal and even though i suck at rpg's it's been pretty easy.

Jolkien

Just finished and I completed everything. I think they might even have sold it on the low side it took me almost 12 hours to complete. Everything is very neatly crafted, it was a steal for 15$.

Finaika

yeppers. i'm not even a rpg fan and i'm having a blast. the battle system is really cool. it is similar to grandia's system but that meant nothing to me as i have only barely heard of grandia. anyway, great game. if you are an experienced rpg gamer start on hard. i started on normal and even though i suck at rpg's it's been pretty easy.

Shit, I loved Grandia.

Cybaster

Does this game auto-save to new game+ or something after you defeat the final boss? I have several side-quests I haven't completed yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Can someone just mention in spoiler tags how many chapters there are? I'm curious as to where I am but I know some people won't want to know.

Someone hold me. I just...I just need a hug. The basketball team for my hometown just go knocked out of the playoffs....someone...pls

OT
I keep hearing that this game is too easy. Anyone know if it is?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Someone hold me. I just...I just need a hug. The basketball team for my hometown just go knocked out of the playoffs....someone...pls
By the team from my hometown :)

And yeah, pretty much everyone says the game is too easy. But apparently if you play on hard it'll be more fun. I peeked around the thread a little and I think I'm gonna buy it ASAP!

Vire

Just want to thank GAF for the recommendations. Very much enjoying the game so far.

Super relaxing!

By the team from my hometown :)

And yeah, pretty much everyone says the game is too easy. But apparently if you play on hard it'll be more fun. I peeked around the thread a little and I think I'm gonna buy it ASAP!

I hate you. Go away.

Jk. I'd say they're evenly matched. We just don't have a Lillard. You guys deserved it. Watch out next year though. This was the first year for our new team...

Top Bottom