• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

Dragon

Banned
Just finished. Favorite game I've played all year. Sure the rhyming is a bit weird but I think people owe themselves the chance to play this game. There is more atmosphere in one screen of Child of Light than any next Gen title I've played so far. It's endearing, the music is fantastic, the battle system is interesting enough that I was still into it with the last boss. Aurora is a real heroine and it's rare to see such a well formed character in a short game like this.

I could go on and on but I think my heart may make dew.

Duallusion

Does this game auto-save to new game+ or something after you defeat the final boss? I have several side-quests I haven't completed yet.

Yes. Don't start a new game plus if you want to complete all the side quests on the first playthrough. It has that super shitty combo of an autosave-only one save slot system coupled with a save-corrupting bug.

Love the game, though; hope it pays off for them. Which must be hard to manage when you have about 100 people mentioned in the credits for a project like this...

Loving this game so far. Just got all the companions and I love the variety.

I'd love more games like this to come out. Battle system is awesome and I love using the PS4 trackpad to collect wishes.

wouwie

Presentation wise, this game is just fantastic. From the wonderful visuals to the nice music, the nice menu, the smoothness of controls and the sound effects, this is pretty much perfect.

I really wish more games like this were made. A sort of in between smaller indie titles and big AAA titles with a solid gamelength and superb production values for a very nice price. Love it and makes me really excited about Valiant Hearts.

panda-zebra

Playing on ps4. Have searched OT but found nothing. Has anyone else had an issue where cloud saves won't work because "saved data with the same name was uploaded from another ps4"?

I've never used another ps4 other than the one I bought day 1 so confused why it would say that every day when I come back to it (even if I manually over-write the cloud save).

Just concerned about losing progress having read of people having problems loading their saves.

madhtr

Playing on ps4. Have searched OT but found nothing. Has anyone else had an issue where cloud saves won't work because "saved data with the same name was uploaded from another ps4"?

I've never used another ps4 other than the one I bought day 1 so confused why it would say that every day when I come back to it (even if I manually over-write the cloud save).

Just concerned about losing progress having read of people having problems loading their saves.

Yep, I forced the save to overwrite. I never checked, now that I think about it, but thankfully I never had my save corrupted, even though the game did have many errors that kicked me out of the game.

the game is definitely unique and awesome but feels short and rushed, especially at the end of the story. need more games like this but more fleshed out.

Pimpwerx

Grimløck;110456527 said:
new game + is hard mode.
It still gives you the same 2 difficulty options. The brief description made it sound like the enemies are tougher only because you're starting the game already powered up. So like playing the later chapters on normal. Still pretty easy, but the enemies have more hp. Maybe I'm wrong. I have to beat TR before starting new game+. PEACE.

mgcastro

My first Steam purchase was this game, my younger bro is thrilled to be able to play the game. Looks like the investment will be worth it by the looks of the feedback in this thread. :)

Anteater

Just got a second dude in my party, having fun so far! I'm getting a glitch where there'd be a weird box during transition before battle, and sometimes aurora would lose her hair

bryehn

Played up to Rubella and am in love so far. The music is particularly good and battle reminds me of the early Atelier games. How long is an average playthrough on normal?

Really disappointed with the Wii U control options.

I wanted to get it on that for co-op but you have to main the gamepad (with teh same image mirrored on the screen? *barf*) right? And the co-op person uses a Wiimote.... sideways? Wouldn't having to use the d-pad feel pretty annoying and slow?

:|

That is terrible, ignoring the glaringly obvious Wiimote pointing partner option missing - at least let us use Pro Controllers.

Can someone tell me if I'm understanding things correctly?

Messiek

Child of Light makes me believe at video games again. This art and the ost are amazing!
Playing on PS4 and I'm lovin it : )

I'm new here btw ;D

sfried

Really disappointed with the Wii U control options.

I wanted to get it on that for co-op but you have to main the gamepad (with teh same image mirrored on the screen? *barf*) right? And the co-op person uses a Wiimote.... sideways? Wouldn't having to use the d-pad feel pretty annoying and slow?

:|

That is terrible, ignoring the glaringly obvious Wiimote pointing partner option missing - at least let us use Pro Controllers.

Can someone tell me if I'm understanding things correctly?
I thought the instructions specifically said you can use the Wii Remotes pointer controls. Unless you don't have a sensor bar attached, I'm guessing the Pad is a secondary option.

I don't see the issue with the GamePad mirroring the screen, considering it makes it easy to do off-screen play without need of switching it on in the options.

I thought the instructions specifically said you can use the Wii Remotes pointer controls. Unless you don't have a sensor bar attached, I'm guessing the Pad is a secondary option.

I don't see the issue with the GamePad mirroring the screen, considering it makes it easy to do off-screen play without need of switching it on in the options.

I don't like when the GamePad mirrors the screen when I'm playing on the TV, I don't use off-screen so I never see the point to having them both display the exact same thing at the same time.

All it does is distract me, having the image running on my lap being the same thing as the TV. Even a static stats menu or something instead would be better. Just personal preference.

As far as pointer controls, everything I've read says its just d-pad controls holding the Wiimote sideways for co-op which is moronic. If they offer that at least offer Pro Controller too so I can use a stick instead of d-pad.

But yea, thats why I'm trying to find out for sure, I want to get it on Wii U but the control options don't sound flash for me. :( Wonder if they'll patch it?

jhawk6

Wow, a beautiful, magical game this is. Completed it last night on xbone with 1000/1000g and it is probably the best experience I've had this year so far. The journey in this game felt genuine and literally transformative for the heroine. I loved the battle system although I'm still waiting for a game to go full Grandia. A lot of people said it is too easy on normal but I found it suitably challenging towards the end, perhaps because I skipped too many encounters though. The music was a perfect match to fill out the mood and atmosphere to go with the gorgeous art. GOTY so far for me.

Oh and after the ending when the credits roll with that song, dem feels!

S1kkZ

is there a sudden difficulty spike later in the game?
i am playing on hard and now have to fight enemies, that can kill m characters with 2 hits.
i am back in the "real" (?) world and just got my party back. i think i am in a side mission where i have to free the friends of the "guard" that helped me escape

Rizsparky

is there a sudden difficulty spike later in the game?
i am playing on hard and now have to fight enemies, that can kill m characters with 2 hits.
i am back in the "real" (?) world and just got my party back. i think i am in a side mission where i have to free the friends of the "guard" that helped me escape

I'd say so, yes. Battles take slightly longer too.

Kinda need help in Chapter 8. I hate to admit it, but I'm a bit stuck.
In the dungeon area where you have to keep going through different doors, but if you go through the wrong one you get kicked back to the entrance. Is there any special way to navigate this? Are there visual cues I should be paying attention to to find the correct doors?

Seda

In the dungeon area where you have to keep going through different doors, but if you go through the wrong one you get kicked back to the entrance. Is there any special way to navigate this? Are there visual cues I should be paying attention to to find the correct doors?

There is a visual clue in the background.

Grisby

Look for
the statue of the shield lady and the symbol that's on the shield. Go through corresponding door.

NeoZylom

2. Clicking the pad in toggles his glow without having to hold anything. Absolutely necessary for me since my fingers get stupid and confused when I try to select commands in combat while at the same time holding L2 to keep Igniculus glowing on an enemy.

If you press R3, it will keep on glowing without having to hold anything!

Grisby

Child of Light makes me believe at video games again. This art and the ost are amazing!
Playing on PS4 and I'm lovin it : )

I'm new here btw ;D
Welcome to Gaf,
Have a nice stay,
Post some kind words,
To keep the mods at bay.
oh! Duh, I wasn't even paying attention to the background. XD

Thanks guys!
Yeah, if your tv isn't so big it can be a pain to see the overlapping speech bubbles sometimes.

Vizzeh

Banned
Playing Octodad ATM but after reading through these comments, think I may have found my next game. Off work for a couple of days, weather doesn't look great so gaming it is!

Chapter 5:
The serpents are kicking my ass
:( need help guys :(

Your main offense should be coming from Finn.
Attacks should be obvious, use monsoon against the flaming head, lightning against the water head, and fire against the other one (poison head, I think). Other than that, have Aurora in a support position on healing duty or to get in some attacks when possible.

Erekiddo

Did anyone else have issues getting this game to run? I have a new rig, but UPlay keeps hard crashing everytime it begins to load up.

I've reinstalled and restarted. This is super frustrating.

Lima

Regarding that bugged achievement with the Oculi (or whatever it's called) Ubisoft strikes again.

If you have more than 100 friends/followers uPlay gets confused and you can't connect and the achievement doesn't unlock. The same shit they had in the PS4 version of AC IV. Fucking hilarious. It's like no one told Ubisoft that PS4 and XB1 allow more than 100 friends now.

Regarding that bugged achievement with the Oculi (or whatever it's called) Ubisoft strikes again.

If you have more than 100 friends/followers uPlay gets confused and you can't connect and the achievement doesn't unlock. The same shit they had in the PS4 version of AC IV. Fucking hilarious. It's like no one told Ubisoft that PS4 and XB1 allow more than 100 friends now.

I'm about to try this.
http://www.trueachievements.com/a186097/through-the-looking-glass-achievement.htm

Top Bottom